Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxxupation posted:

two possible reasons: dan harmon has/had a full-time gig somewhere else and physically runs the writer's room on R and M, so even with his admitted lessened involvement in season two (he was much less hands-on because he was working so much on community) it might've been a situation where the writers were waiting on dan's input, which he couldn't give because he physically wasn't there

also, rick and morty and community share writers (ryan ridley most prominently), so it could've been a situation where the writers were literally working somewhere else

second possible reason: you'd need to ask typical about this but from the level of animation detail and general animation quality on this show i imagine episode turnarounds take a LOT longer than on, say, a really simply animated show like ATHF on even South Park (which the latter looks great, let me be clear) which are done almost entirely in flash with stock character templates, i'm completely out of my depth here because i'm not an animator but from the way rick and morty looks it just looks like it'd take longer than the week-or-less turnaround on an ep of south park

also i think the whole show is animated in-house at starburns? which is a relatively tiny studio that was co-founded by harmon, so i'd imagine that if that's true and they don't outsource to Korea/whatever episodes take forever to animate

I bet Rick and Morty is very difficult to manage the animation for. It's soooo dense. Believe it or not in South Park's case they animate in 100% 3D using Maya. I'd love to see a raw scene file for the bus stop or something just to see how they lay it all out but it's probably just like a IRL diorama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know how you can hate Community and love Rick and Morty other than being a contrarian.

Because Community got to a point where I didn't care about any of the characters and they all actively annoyed me so I stopped watching.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

I thought that was what happened on The Sarah Silverman Show. The show started doing well and he became really difficult to work with and Sarah fired him because she couldn't handle him anymore.

Edit: Feel free to correct me. I was interpreting what I had heard on the Harmontown podcast and I could be totally off.

I think the issue there was that Harmon and Silverman are both extremely hard to work with and very dedicated to their vision. One of them had to go, and one of them was the star of the show.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know how you can hate Community and love Rick and Morty other than being a contrarian.

I think it's pretty easy to understand just from a format standpoint. If you sit down as a new viewer and watch 2 hours of Rick and Morty, you've seen the whole first season. If you do the same with Community you've basically just seen Ken Jeong act hilarious in a community college sitcom for a few episodes.

I'm a fan of both shows but only Community's craziest episodes come close to matching up with the same energy R&M has.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like a couple of seasons of community, mostly 3 and the yahoo one. Back when they were airing I was in love with the show all the way till season 4 when the badness of a harmonless community made me pretty critical of the whole series. Sucks how things can spoil in hindsight like that. Oh well. That's my cred for saying that there's nearly nothing in common between community and rick and morty. There's maybe two or three Season 3 community episodes that are surreal on a R&M level but Community was tailored to NBC and NBC demos and Adult swim is adult swim. The guiding philosophies of the people writing out the paychecks for these shows are entirely different.

Adult Swim mostly goes "yeah stoners will loving love this greenlight it and do whatever." and I think NBC is a little more controlling and thoughtful.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

This guy.... I'm not a community fan, past some funny episodes i've watched a couple times. Yet i was the guy force feeding Rick and Morty to anyone who would listen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched Community because of Rick and Morty and Community is loving great with incredible characters I ended up loving. Both shows have a ton of goddamn heart and that's what separates them from pretty much everything else. I can't think of a show as creative and interesting as either one of them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyye Moon Men!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

Because Community got to a point where I didn't care about any of the characters and they all actively annoyed me so I stopped watching.
was it in season 4?

When harmon left the characters turned into 1d or 2d caricatures. Britta just turned into dumb blonde instead of activist and social concientious leftist and abed was bing bong therem level spergy instead of meta spergy.

If you watch harmontown you can get an impression of both harmon and roiland. And that impression is when things go really well they get bored and start burning it down. Hopefully they channel that into the writing instead of their professional handling of the show

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KoRMaK posted:

was it in season 4?

When harmon left the characters turned into 1d or 2d caricatures. Britta just turned into dumb blonde instead of activist and social concientious leftist and abed was bing bong therem level spergy instead of meta spergy.

If you watch harmontown you can get an impression of both harmon and roiland. And that impression is when things go really well they get bored and start burning it down. Hopefully they channel that into the writing instead of their professional handling of the show

I still like Community, but I think it's the moment that they pretend that Britta has always been a screw-up that things kind of feel not as good afterwards.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
From the Blu-ray deals thread:

15 bucks for anyone that hasn't gotten it already.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mr. Fowl posted:

I still like Community, but I think it's the moment that they pretend that Britta has always been a screw-up that things kind of feel not as good afterwards.

Yeah, at some point the characterization went really lovely and bizarre and that part never recovered.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr. Fowl posted:

you mean, like, halfway through the first season

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Toxxupation posted:

you mean, like, halfway through the first season

No, when they talk about "britta"-ing things up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't there a community thread?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't there a community thread?

Don't bother them with this, they're all busy talking about watching Alison Brie sleep.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr. Fowl posted:

so it's just explicit over implicit?

in her first season she tries a prank that ends up with her accidentally desecrating a corpse, there's nothing on the show outside of the very very beginning of it, when britta was the worst part because she was Stereotypical Smug As gently caress Sassy Blonde Love Interest Who Constantly Burns The Self-Obsessed Main #37894, when britta wasn't a goofy moron constantly loving things up

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 1, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

for real? thats where you tapped out? I liked that and all the other stuff. Because, britta is like that. she's well meaning but has so many personal hang ups about justice and right that she lies to herself and stumbles around dealing with her own morality. Even that is more characterization than when she first started. You got to know britta over time.

i liked every season harmon was on, and especially the last season where the characters are all just mouth pieces for harmon and his rants.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She turns insanely stupid for no real reason, especially when she's dating Troy (which was weird as hell).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

She turns insanely stupid for no real reason, especially when she's dating Troy (which was weird as hell).

so you mean on the season that harmon had no influence on, it lost the thread on the characters, hmm, it's almost like...those two things are correlated...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

so you mean on the season that harmon had no influence on, it lost the thread on the characters, hmm, it's almost like...those two things are correlated...

thank you

im bummed out that more goons dont have the same opinions on grey areas as me

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KoRMaK posted:

for real? thats where you tapped out? I liked that and all the other stuff. Because, britta is like that. she's well meaning but has so many personal hang ups about justice and right that she lies to herself and stumbles around dealing with her own morality. Even that is more characterization than when she first started. You got to know britta over time.

i liked every season harmon was on, and especially the last season where the characters are all just mouth pieces for harmon and his rants.

I didn't say that I tapped out. I just said that I didn't like it as much after that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pick posted:

She turns insanely stupid for no real reason

Just like this thread. Oh wait, I know the reason.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Toxxupation posted:

Yep, that's correct, and then it never recovered from that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

like the britta complaint is stupid, and always has been stupid, and it's an ill-disguised way to somehow argue that harmon's a secret sexist or something when he's outright said numerous times that he made britta into a female version of himself (often literally, since he pronounces the word "bagels" the same way and goes on the same weird pointless and formless political rants rooted in no real knowledge of what he's talking about)

like he started britta off as a cliche, then realized her mentality was too rough for the show he wanted made and too stereotypical so leaned into her "smug ranting about liberal causes" shtick and revealed it for the farce it was

if anything britta is the by-far best characterized person on the show because from about 6-10 episodes in the whole point of her character was expressing the entitled white liberal from privilege stereotype as a real person, who harmon is. He advocates for causes and systems he knows little to nothing about and transferred that sort of deep-rooted insecurity that compels him to shoot his mouth off to appear "Deep" but actually makes him look like an even greater moron into the character of britta, which he has consistently understood how to write

there's criticisms to make of community's characterizations - the most prominent is annie, who the show had a fairly long stretch of time (mid-season-three-ish to end of season five) of not knowing how to write, which only season six started fixing (but then fell into problems with differentiating her from frankie), and to a lesser extent abed (who the show was always split on whether or not his neuroses were endearing or irritating and indicative of abed's ability to develop as person) and jeff (who often had the same note, which again was also largely fixed in season six by inverting the "jeff doesn't want anything to do with the group and comes around at the end" stories into "jeff desperately needs the group to function and realizes his co-dependency issues" stories), but britta isn't one of them, if anything she's the most consistently and best characterized character on the show

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the new harmontown immediately starts out on one of those kind of rants

"let ME be racist for a moment" - dan harmon, professional man baby

http://www.harmontown.com/2015/06/episode-154-you-do-not-spam-fireballs/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't stop making up stupid cosmic songs in my head like The Fart sings

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Stop talking about shows that aren't Rick and Morty.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Brightman posted:

From the Blu-ray deals thread:

15 bucks for anyone that hasn't gotten it already.

Thanks! Only show aside from the venture brothers that I want to own physically.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

I gotta say seeing the Roy: A Life Well Lived sequence in its complete state was nice.

Wait, there was precedent to that? I didn't get it and thought it was a reference to something like Alter Ego.

KoRMaK posted:

the new harmontown immediately starts out on one of those kind of rants

"let ME be racist for a moment" - dan harmon, professional man baby

http://www.harmontown.com/2015/06/episode-154-you-do-not-spam-fireballs/

I kind of learned that in a way Rick and Morty is like sausage on the sense that they're delightful, but you probably don't want to see where it comes from. This includes following the twitter for let's say, the fellow who draws the Rick and Morty comic.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Kunster posted:

Wait, there was precedent to that? I didn't get it and thought it was a reference to something like Alter Ego.

The animatic for that sequence was shown at last year's comic-con.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oooh, alright!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

A background thing in the 2nd episode: Mr Meeseeks helped that alien win the video game :3:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
That first episode was incredible, the split screen effect was really creative and well done. I was disappointed by the long break between seasons but it looks like it was all worth it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't bother them with this, they're all busy talking about watching Alison Brie sleep.

Allison Brie is hot and you're never going to stop people from appreciating that fact on the internet, lol.

But yeah everyone who wants to have a community discussion go over there. You may or may not like it, but I don't think it has much in common with R&M other than Dan Harmon being involved.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
drat both of these episodes were on point

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Next Rick and Morty game:

An Elona Shooter-type game where Morty shoots Gromflamites (sp?) and Gear People, while calling on Rick for portal-based special attacks and a recharging song attack from Fart which makes all the enemies kill themselves. At the end of every wave Fart says "more are coming."

Title it "Goodbye Moon Men."

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sinestro posted:

Episode one was good. I found the musical numbers in the second one so irritating that I had to fast forward through all of them.

Look at this nazi motherfucker

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goodbye Moon Men is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
♫ Diamonds in Your Eyes ♫

I'm really sad they killed off Krombopulos Michael, this show is killing off more likable characters in 2 episodes than a season of Game of Thrones

• Locked thread