Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I loved my half Alchemy half Swordplay build, completely ignoring sign skills. I had Quen intensity Wards installed on all of my armor so it was totally insane anyway and basic Aard and Yrden handled their respective enemies just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I used Quen pretty much all the time because I'm really bad at not getting hit and Swallow doesn't heal fast enough.

I never realized just how much tolerance that alchemy skill adds. I went through the whole game thinking decoctions were totally useless.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a sword skill that makes you immune to damage at any point during your dodge animation. Unfortunately the hit will still drop Quen if it's up.
Dodge and roll already behave that way though. I searched and everybody who's tested it seems to conclude that if the skill does anything at all it's too minor to detect.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Geralt's got a bum knee and can't move for poo poo without heels already.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Alchemy's great for either casually dropping a few points into or going whole-hog into being a cluster-bombing mutant murderbeast. Sword build? Adds to oils and several decoctions add great effects/survivability. Signs build? Petri's Philtre that never ends.

Plus being drugged out to hell and back and entering a conversation/cutscene just never gets old.

Alt-Quen is very situational, but it's a nice panic button if you took a bad hit or were caught out of position.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I really hope you have like 5 potion slots when the expansion/EE comes out. I started actually using them more at the end but it was still a drag to go into the menu.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I really hope you have like 5 potion slots when the expansion/EE comes out. I started actually using them more at the end but it was still a drag to go into the menu.
This would be glorious.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Please this. More bombs/potion slots would be gorgeous. Actually, I'll go the other way and say more bomb slots first. Potions are okay but a faster inventory menu access would be alright, whereas with bombs you have to equip and use them in an even more tedious way than potions. Plus, most potions last a whole fight's worth so you're only using them once or twice a fight. Putting potions at the very top of the inventory screen and making it the first available tab and opening up all of the inventory slots to bombs would be my pick. Or let you put 4 potions on the D-pad and change the sheathe/draw sword commands to something less immediately accessible. Or remove them, Geralt's pretty good about switching appropriately as-is. I certainly don't need that kind of control on the D pad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ok so I've googled around and found a few sites that do pieces here and there, but if any of you know of a site where all the alchemy recipes are, Id appreciate it. I do so enjoy having the enhanced and superior recipe of something but not the regular one. :shepface:

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

MoraleHazard posted:

W3 has much more fantasy-esque armor.

Are you crazy? Witcher 3 is full of padded jacks and gambesons that were pretty much standard issue to all light infantry forces everywhere, since they were expected to buy their own equipment. Chainmail was extremely expensive and only available to aristocrats or people whose equipment budget was subsidized, and plate was pretty much the exclusive purvue of landed aristocratic knights. The only armor that really looked weird to me was the witchhunter jacket, which had those incredibly stupid flanged metal elbow pads. Well, and the wild hunt warrior armor, but they are alien elf monsters from beyond time and space so they get a pass. Some of the witcher gear had some goofy bits too, but it at least looked reasonably practical for the most part.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JetsGuy posted:

Ok so I've googled around and found a few sites that do pieces here and there, but if any of you know of a site where all the alchemy recipes are, Id appreciate it. I do so enjoy having the enhanced and superior recipe of something but not the regular one. :shepface:

Aren't some of them just a random drop?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

There's a druid on Skellige who should have a ton of recipes at Geddyneith or soemthing. Also, check out an herbalist north-ish of Oxenfurt, and the herbalist near the Putrid Grove in Novigrad. The latter was where I bought a lot of mine.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Crigit posted:

Are you crazy? Witcher 3 is full of padded jacks and gambesons that were pretty much standard issue to all light infantry forces everywhere, since they were expected to buy their own equipment. Chainmail was extremely expensive and only available to aristocrats or people whose equipment budget was subsidized, and plate was pretty much the exclusive purvue of landed aristocratic knights. The only armor that really looked weird to me was the witchhunter jacket, which had those incredibly stupid flanged metal elbow pads. Well, and the wild hunt warrior armor, but they are alien elf monsters from beyond time and space so they get a pass. Some of the witcher gear had some goofy bits too, but it at least looked reasonably practical for the most part.

I stand corrected. I thought chain shirts were much more common among foot-soldiers.

Seems weird though with NPCs in these padded cloth jacks and steel gauntlets. Although surprising, I'm guessing that was at least somewhat common too?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 1, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

For the most part it's random. Talk to every herbalist and alchemist you see, some will have a bunch of recipes. Anything you don't get that way is just a random drop from ?s and it's pretty much guaranteed you'll finish the game missing a bunch of superior oils.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Please this. More bombs/potion slots would be gorgeous. Actually, I'll go the other way and say more bomb slots first. Potions are okay but a faster inventory menu access would be alright, whereas with bombs you have to equip and use them in an even more tedious way than potions. Plus, most potions last a whole fight's worth so you're only using them once or twice a fight. Putting potions at the very top of the inventory screen and making it the first available tab and opening up all of the inventory slots to bombs would be my pick. Or let you put 4 potions on the D-pad and change the sheathe/draw sword commands to something less immediately accessible. Or remove them, Geralt's pretty good about switching appropriately as-is. I certainly don't need that kind of control on the D pad.
I have to disagree with the bolded 100%. I hate hate hate that there could be a drowner 5 feet away and the game decides its time to sheathe my sword. Other times I pull it out because I see bandits with archers down the road and I want to use my arrow-deflection skill, but the game refuses to acknowledge that I am in combat until I swing the sword in anger. The only time the game should do anything with your sword for you would be when combat abruptly starts -otherwise I want to decide when combat starts and begins; if I draw my sword it is for a reason and I want Geralt to 'enter combat' so I can deflect arrows. Otherwise yes I agree with your post :v:

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I have to disagree with the bolded 100%. I hate hate hate that there could be a drowner 5 feet away and the game decides its time to sheathe my sword. Other times I pull it out because I see bandits with archers down the road and I want to use my arrow-deflection skill, but the game refuses to acknowledge that I am in combat until I swing the sword in anger. The only time the game should do anything with your sword for you would be when combat abruptly starts -otherwise I want to decide when combat starts and begins; if I draw my sword it is for a reason and I want Geralt to 'enter combat' so I can deflect arrows. Otherwise yes I agree with your post :v:

Yeah, I get that there's the automatic sword draw when combat starts, but there's no point to being able to manually sheathe and unsheathe your swords if it doesn't also put you into/out of combat controls. (and while you're at it fix the bug where if you immediately hit the attack button out of a cutscene you will often not pull out your sword and try to fistfight dudes coming at you with swords)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Entering/exiting combat is different though. Like, sure, you can manually pull out your sword but it means nothing. The ability to draw/sheathe your swords manually adds nothing because of all of your (good) complaints. So remove it and give me two more potion slots. I'd rather have that than being able to trigger combat mode by drawing a weapon. (Or do both and have the draw weapon slots moved to the radial)

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just broke down a bunch of pelts and poo poo and went from 160 lbs of gear to 90. Nice. If you are struggling with loads of gear, that might help you. I wanna get rid of other stuff too but there are even quest items I can use break down on, so I don't want to gently caress myself over.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

ZearothK posted:

What level is it and where can you find it?
It's level 25 I think. I began it by taking a contract from the notice board in Oreton, the lakeside fishing village north of Fyke Isle in Velen. From the text in the DLC entry I think you can begin it just by stumbling across it too, although given the level I'd guess it's only available after a certain point in the main story.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i did the same. i lol'd at my dumbness.
Cat and Wolf DLC quest spoilers: yeah I totally had it coming and I thought it was a good little trick, but 60 seconds of no targeting - not even soft lock - and no parry/counterattack seems a bit too much. 30 seems fairer. Where is MY 60 second blind bomb? All I have is this lovely Samum thing that wears off after 6 seconds. Either you throw it at a distant group and it wears off before it provides any real advantage, or you quick-throw it and Geralt pushes it into the face of the guy right in front of him, blinding himself.

also I agree that the automatic sheathing is pretty annoying

vandalism posted:

I just broke down a bunch of pelts and poo poo and went from 160 lbs of gear to 90. Nice. If you are struggling with loads of gear, that might help you. I wanna get rid of other stuff too but there are even quest items I can use break down on, so I don't want to gently caress myself over.
I haven't specifically checked but I'd imagine if they're still needed for quests you won't be able to dismantle them? Quest items get moved from the unsellable Quest tab and into the Misc tab once their quest is completed. I would suppose they'd incorporate a filter to stop you dismantling quest items too.

Quest.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 1, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I would kill to have a better idea on what is weighing me down. Bolts were pretty bad, but after going a bit trigger happy I've gotten them down to about 6 weight units or so. Even with that I'm still riding ~120ish. I may just start dropping poo poo and rebuilding my inventory from scratch. Maybe get a notepad.

Note to CDPR: that is a sign of a Bad inventory system.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

OAquinas posted:

I would kill to have a better idea on what is weighing me down. Bolts were pretty bad, but after going a bit trigger happy I've gotten them down to about 6 weight units or so. Even with that I'm still riding ~120ish. I may just start dropping poo poo and rebuilding my inventory from scratch. Maybe get a notepad.

As the poster above noted, everything that goes in the Misc tab of your inventory - pelts, broken weapons etc - adds up really quickly. Other than that, all those countless stacks of crafting materials and alchemy ingredients will certainly weigh you down.

Edit: also first play through I was carrying all 3 witcher armour sets with me at all times which I kept forgetting about, poo poo is heavy man

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Weapon/armor repair kits also get heavy, especially if you've been hording them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OAquinas posted:

Pay attention to the weight stat that every item has. Some of those junk items can be heavier than you'd suspect, like if you have 20 bear pelts that'll be at least 4 or 5 pounds. Clear out your inventory, alchemize a whole bunch, make some swords/armour and sell them or just sell the raw ingredients.

Horse saddles are like 6-7 pounds each and some of the only things I bother dropping instead of selling or dissembling because seriously.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

late game tip - don't pick up horse gear, armor, weapons, or anything else besides recipes and quest items

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Protip: the weight stat is the total of the stack, not per item. For a while I thought a bunch of particularly abundant crafting materials (dwarven liquor) were really heavy. :downs:

vandalism posted:

I wanna get rid of other stuff too but there are even quest items I can use break down on, so I don't want to gently caress myself over.
You can't break down quest items. Once they're no longer quest items they (sometimes) move to another tab and become sellable/destructible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kept a bunch of items that used to be quest items and became junk just in case they came into use again

don't do what I did

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The most important "inventory" stat is not weight, but how much garbage you have to scroll through to get to your potions. Drop all those books and letters and contracts ASAP, it's a huge quality-of-life improvement.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

MoraleHazard posted:

Seems weird though with NPCs in these padded cloth jacks and steel gauntlets. Although surprising, I'm guessing that was at least somewhat common too?

Medieval armor use is a bit surprising sometimes, but these gambesons are like 20 or 30 layers of tough linen. They were known to stop arrows at moderate ranges and be real tough to cut through. Stabbing was another story, though. They were also prone to getting infested with lice. As far as gauntlets I don't actually have any idea. It seems a bit weird to have metal gloves when you can't afford heavier body armor.

Edit: Here's a weird nerd going on at some length about how media usually gets light medieval body armor wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzeLAGuCucg
His channel is pretty fun in general, although he does tend towards the long winded a lot.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 2, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, especially since a breastplate is just a slab of metal buckled on (for cheap versions, anyway). Gauntlets are far more articulated and difficult to make--you'd think they'd be the part that commanded a premium.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The most important "inventory" stat is not weight, but how much garbage you have to scroll through to get to your potions. Drop all those books and letters and contracts ASAP, it's a huge quality-of-life improvement.
Yup. I went through that tab periodically and just double clicked on every book/note/map just to be sure I read them, then sold them or dropped them.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

UraniumFuelElement posted:

there's no point to being able to manually sheathe and unsheathe your swords if it doesn't also put you into/out of combat controls.

uuuuh, what if you want to fistfight a bear?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

loving Devourers :argh:

I'm doing the master armorer quest where you have to fight three or four of the fuckers at once. They drain so much health with each hit. Three hits and I'm dead. And they're quick as poo poo, too.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am accumulating a lot of coloured mutagens. After combining them to greater types is there any further progression? If not is there a place that offers more than 2 coins for them?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You use some combination of them for decoctions(?), but aside from that no. As for the price, I'd check dedicated alchemists and if they don't then likely not.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Do you play with a console controller? It's way easier to navigate the menu UI with mouse and that way you don't have to get rid of all the neat books you picked up.

Moridin920 posted:

Which you won't answer.

gently caress off already we're trying to talk about alchemy and signs go get probated in the Gamergate or Tumblr thread again or something. You've obviously got an axe to grind.

buy me a red text and shut up already

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Do you play with a console controller? It's way easier to navigate the menu UI with mouse and that way you don't have to get rid of all the neat books you picked up.

buy me a red text and shut up already

Oh I play with a mouse - I can't even fathom using a controller in the menu. I still find it awful that I have to hit i, click the right tab, then scroll in that tiny window and hover over each potion since a lot of them have the same image. Anything that saves steps in that is worthwhile. Before I sold my books, I just didn't use more than 2 potions, it was too annoying.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Oh I play with a mouse - I can't even fathom using a controller in the menu. I still find it awful that I have to hit i, click the right tab, then scroll in that tiny window and hover over each potion since a lot of them have the same image. Anything that saves steps in that is worthwhile. Before I sold my books, I just didn't use more than 2 potions, it was too annoying.

I only started using potions when I switched to mouse, it's crazy how much better the menus work compared to a controller. CDPR has hinted at on their forums that the next patch is going to rework inventory so it's likely we'll see a dedicated potions tab, or filtering (non-quest)books into another tab

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A dedicated potions tab that comes up as the default tab when you hit i would be the next best thing to more potion slots, sounds good to me!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Whoops, I accidentally (re: the Cat and Wolf quest) let the Cat Witcher live because I thought, "Surely, all dialog will lead to conflict and I'll be forced to kill him, but I wonder what he says if I pick this" At least I got his sweet sword and the letter about his school.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone else got hit with that Skellige music bug? I finished the King's Gambit quest and now anytime I load a game I have this really overwhelming music track playing from the coronation ceremony. The only way to kill it is to fast travel between the continent EVERY time you load a save. Might just wait for 1.07 and see if it fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Errr... the Cat and Wolf quest disappeared from the Oreton notice board before I could accept it. Anybody have this problem?