Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

There's a lot I'll defend Nintendo on w/r/t how they roll out content in this game but not being able to play any mode other than turf war with your friends is Actually Completely Stupid

I agree it doesn't really make sense that they pushed that to August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Trent posted:

Don't give a poo poo because it's ranked, the rank does nothing except matchmaking and give you bonus monies. Give a poo poo because the actual play mode is different and fun

The problem is that the payout schedule is strongly biased against not-so-great players.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I've gained some respect for the Dynamo Roller players, that poo poo is not as easy to use as it looks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Keiya posted:

The problem is that the payout schedule is strongly biased against not-so-great players.

Money is basically irrelevant though despite what your brain tells you. It doesn't take that much money to buy the weapons and gear you care about. The big money sink is rerolling slots but that's such a crapshoot and has so little impact you might as well not bother

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

pokeyman posted:

I've gained some respect for the Dynamo Roller players, that poo poo is not as easy to use as it looks.

Yeah I have no idea how they do it. That thing is way too drat slow for me to even attempt to use, but they do. God bless em.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Did I just start up the game without having to watch the news???

e: oh, my network connection was down. Cancel the celebrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

pokeyman posted:

Did I just start up the game without having to watch the news???

e: oh, my network connection was down. Cancel the celebrations.

Why would you want to NOT watch the news? Callie and Marie are awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I'm gonna be forced to listen to them I wish they would actually tell me what was in the patch they announced rather than saying to go to the Splatoon website.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cless Alvein posted:

Yeah I have no idea how they do it. That thing is way too drat slow for me to even attempt to use, but they do. God bless em.

bout time I get some respect :cheers:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a police station in Inkopolis I can report this fashion crime too?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a police station in Inkopolis I can report this fashion crime too?

Honestly the 2/3rds robo-armor outfit looks more bizarre than Samurai Mantis. The robot suit usually looks okay when all three parts are together but when it's just the shoes or just the head part it looks...weird.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, don't you?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the post-apocalyptic samurai is great. Splatfest robot, not so much.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Wait, so tower is only under ranked? That's.... super lame?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Parallax posted:

Wait, so tower is only under ranked? That's.... super lame?

More importantly.... Splatzones is GONE??

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

man i just took a dynamo roller to tower. 19 splats in a single match I love this thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

The big money sink is rerolling slots but that's such a crapshoot and has so little impact you might as well not bother

True. I've rerolled on my red chucks like six times and I think my original skill loadout was the best

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bass Bottles posted:

More importantly.... Splatzones is GONE??

What I hear was the ranked gamemodes will rotate, though how often I don't know. Going to suck if it turns out one of the modes they add is a real dud.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Internet Kraken posted:

What I hear was the ranked gamemodes will rotate, though how often I don't know. Going to suck if it turns out one of the modes they add is a real dud.

So we're only ever going to have two game modes at once? :negative:

I will miss splatzones.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I assume they'll rotate every change over.

Regardless, it's a good thing Tower Control is really fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tell me what's a good type of weapon to use in Tower Control once ya'll figure it out. I used a few different weapons and I wasn't feeling it. :/ The mode is fun, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to be able to contribute more.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ink mines are good on Tower Control, but o are inkstrikes. Drop one right in front of where the tower is going and anyone contesting you just dies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As I always say, blasters are probably really good. I guess in this mode you'd actually want to use the regular blaster over the custom because point sensors won't be doing as much and the killer whail is actually not poo poo when there's a tiny area the enemy HAS to be standing in.

Unfortunately I've given up my blasting ways in hopes of mastering the ink brush, which I'm still pretty mediocre with. I was wrong about it being poo poo in splat zones but I have no idea how I can make it work in tower control. Only thing that seems good about it for that mode is an ink strike but tons of weapons have that.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Killer wail is gonna be really nice in some of these maps.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm usually a .52 deco/dual squelcher player - but the super-hectic form of this didn't seem to reward those weapons (at least on the maps in the current rotation) compared to the more strategic play of splatzones - I couldn't kill fast enough with the squelcher.
Splat Pro was alright, but I think I found my groove again with the N-Zap, although I'll probably try the .52 regular version, not deco tomorrow

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bubblers have been pretty ridiculous in my games.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

As I always say, blasters are probably really good. I guess in this mode you'd actually want to use the regular blaster over the custom because point sensors won't be doing as much and the killer whail is actually not poo poo when there's a tiny area the enemy HAS to be standing in.

Unfortunately I've given up my blasting ways in hopes of mastering the ink brush, which I'm still pretty mediocre with. I was wrong about it being poo poo in splat zones but I have no idea how I can make it work in tower control. Only thing that seems good about it for that mode is an ink strike but tons of weapons have that.

Ink Brush seems like it would be useful for going into enemy territory and inking up their paths back to the tower.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tengames posted:

man i just took a dynamo roller to tower. 19 splats in a single match I love this thing.

I simply owned with Gold Dynamo in my first matches trying it out and I was regularly on top of my team: 14/11, 15/10, 9/7, 7/3...

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Tower Control is loving amazing, highly recommended to Inklings of all ages. Especially those that use Blasters.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've only won like 2 of my Tower Control matches and been "that guy" on the team most of them. My A+99 is completely wiped out :(

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Does the sprinkler count as being on the tower? I swear I just lost a game because of that.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I make my living off my Krakon Roller but tower control is gonna force me to learn my splatter shot pro. Hope you all learned by the way that there's a wall to help you climb the opponents side path on walleye warehouse.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I've actually gone back the the Tententek Splattershot or however you spell it. It's been working astoundingly well in Tower.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Those Splatoon pillows in the Treehouse Tower mode show off better make their way over to the US

pankus
Jul 30, 2003
Had a great game just now where we stopped them at 1 in the first 10 seconds in the match, and won in overtime. I have been using the splashomatic, the suction bomb rush obliterates people in your way or on the tower. It charges up quite quickly as well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Nevermind I'm godlike I just needed less worthless teammates. Even singlehandedly won a game when I got put on a team of all B players vs A/A-.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

That tower in the middle is great, it block both Charger and Blaster Shots.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tower Control is amazing. It's cool that ranked will probably trade off between it and Splat Zones so we don't get player fragmentation.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Having made a foolhardy choice to try Tower Control with the Inkbrush, I think the way to make it work is to do all your fighting off the tower unless there's no one else around to ride it. You shouldn't really be up there except as a stopgap, but there's plenty of good fighting to be had on the ground.

What abilities are people favouring? I think some of the traditionally useful ones don't quite apply, while Quick Respawn suddenly seems very very important.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's cool the game will dick you over instead of letting you tie. Enemy has 30 on us, we pushed back and got to 30, but when my teammate stepped off it it rolled back to 31. Paid attention next time and it straight up pretended that the number the enemy has isn't there.

• Locked thread