Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
The ace pack on steam has the premium typhoon and a bunch of premium time and Eagles, which is rad.

Also the British hellcat owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Hellcat sucks now, the Typhoon is way better.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
A lot sure has changed :stonklol:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wooper posted:

Hellcat sucks now, the Typhoon is way better.

How is the premium Typhoon different from the stock one?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It is subtly worse in general.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got dragged up by a wingman accidentally selecting his Hurricane 1C while I was in the IV, and I managed to kill a Fw190 I wasn't even aiming at (missed the guy I was shooting for, hit another guy dogfighting behind him), the Fw190 I WAS aiming at, and pasted an F2 right along the centerline at convergence before a 110 got me.

Somehow, my team that game let a Do217 make Ace in a Day against their Spits. That entire game was just :psyduck:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StashAugustine posted:

How is the premium Typhoon different from the stock one?

It prints money.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Arados always show up in 6.7 CARB. It loving blooooows.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ded posted:

Arados always show up in 6.7 CARB. It loving blooooows.

I find Do217's to be more popular. Them and their bullshit 4x1000kg bomb load :argh:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I'm not sure why I never really clicked with the P-63 back when I played it for America, but uh I am glad to have bought it for Russia because sometimes you can in fact drag pubbies kicking and screaming to victory:

http://i.imgur.com/yB8jqLE.jpg

I used to hate flying against Cobras back when I was getting into RB with Japan and that kinda slacked off with time but wow is it shooting up my list of favorites now. The whole "BMGs and a bloop gun!" part makes so much appealing sense now. Kinda mad about the associated decal though, I thought the P-39 got "cutiepie" while the P-63 got "Alexander Nevsky" but nope both are for the P-39.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 2, 2015

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Thief posted:

lol you must be new to the game because for... years the Arado has been such an overtiered plane that large groups of players literally resorted to doing nothing other than ramming enemy planes in it. Back when there was a 1-20 rank system for planes, Gaijin officially stated that the Arado deserved to be rank 24 in a game where the Sabre and Mig-15 were rank 20.

The fact that the Arados are even playable now is great.
I don't know why you would play the unarmed slower Arado if not for the purposes of ramming people either. I'm talking about the fighter bomber that gets air spawns against prop planes.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mercrom posted:

I don't know why you would play the unarmed slower Arado if not for the purposes of ramming people either. I'm talking about the fighter bomber that gets air spawns against prop planes.

That one hasn't been in long enough to get its BR adjusted.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
can someone explain me what the "datasheet" is?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

can someone explain me what the "datasheet" is?

these: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/114481-data-sheet-ki-45/
Forum Section: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/forum/312-aircraft-data-sheets/

"[Data sheet posted:

Ki-45"]Specification: TAIC 153A-4 (NICK 1) – December 1944

Technical description:
Engine manufacturer: Mitsubishi
Number of engines: 2
Engine model: Ha 31 Model 21 (Ha 102 Type 1 1050 HP)
Number of cylinders: 14
Supercharger: 2 speed
Dry weight: 565 kg
Gear ratio: 0.625

Power:
Take-off : 1065 HP (2700 RPM)

(WEP) / Overboost:
Altitude - 0 m : 1080 HP (2700 RPM)
On 2590 m altitude : 1135 HP (2700 RPM)
On 5640 m altitude : 1135 HP (2700 RPM)

Military Power:
Altitude - 0 m : 975 HP (2600 RPM)
O 2800 m altitude : 1040 HP (2600 RPM)
On 5791 m altitude : 935 HP (2600 RPM)

Propeller: Hamilton type
Diameter: 2,95 m
Number of blades: 3
Propeller pitch: 20°/46°
Weight: 150 kg

Basic Geometry & adjustable data:
Wingspan —15,07 m
Length — 10,6 m
Height — 3,7 m
Wing area including ailerons — 32,2 m²
Empty weight — 3870 kg
Fuel weight — 1052 kg
Oil weight - 71,2 kg
Take-off weight — 5409 kg

etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
What dusty tomes are they getting these scans from?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I got chatbanned for a week for "spamming radio commands". Chatbans don't disable radio commands. :allears:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With the new collision and ramming code, Arado B2 (gunless twin-engine) play is quite exciting and tactical. More about disabling of whatever parts you hit on those weaker propeller planes. than oneshotting.

It's at a good BR unless it gets downtiered the full 1.0 because then it will be a smidge too fast to catch, it's at a good BR unless it gets uptiered .667 etc
Gone as far as to unlock all the performance mods on it by playing non-premium, that's how much I love it. Time to grind forth the C2.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

StashAugustine posted:

I'm trying to push to british jets, are there any decent mid-tier cheap premiums for them?

T2:
Boomerangs are probably the best bet. They're fun little planes. Kind of like slow and heavy spitfires but they're agile as hell all the same and dive pretty well.
D520 is a really nice plane to fly and looks really cool. Big downside is the single cannon with only 60 rounds, but the machineguns are still useful at that tier.

T3
The Hellcat isn't what it used to be, but it's still a solid, fun fighter and when UK tanks get added it will be really nice to have handy.
The Typhoon Mk1b is pretty good too. It's got somewhat less engine power than the 1b/Late in the normal tree but the Br is lower to compensate.
The Mustang Mk 1a, I can't really recommend it. It's the same thing as the USA P-51A essentially. It's a decent plane if you like that though. Has some cool camo's though.

T4
Pendergasts Spitfire FR Mk 14e is probably the best choice of the three sptifires. It's also unique and arguably the best spitfire of them all.
Alternatively, I won a talisman on my Tempest II the other day and it's been raking in the RP. It's cheaper than a T4 premium, and gives a larger RP bonus than any of them, but no bonus silver.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

MrLonghair posted:

With the new collision and ramming code, Arado B2 (gunless twin-engine) play is quite exciting and tactical. More about disabling of whatever parts you hit on those weaker propeller planes. than oneshotting.

It's at a good BR unless it gets downtiered the full 1.0 because then it will be a smidge too fast to catch, it's at a good BR unless it gets uptiered .667 etc
Gone as far as to unlock all the performance mods on it by playing non-premium, that's how much I love it. Time to grind forth the C2.

A downtiered arado would be fast but it would still be a lot easier to catch and less effective than the B-57/Canberra are at their tiers. I'd probably rather see those gets better more appropriate matchmaking though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Judging where to climb is very hard and made complicated by the decision of your team. I remember, vaguely, the guidelines 4km good, 5-6 better. Getting to that height can mean your team's destroyed the enemy or won by the time you get there but it can also mean your entire team's on the deck and you'd wing-rip diving to support. So, if everyone else isn't climbing or is breaking really early, should you cut your climb to 2-3km so you can hover over the battlefield instead?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

spectralent posted:

Judging where to climb is very hard and made complicated by the decision of your team. I remember, vaguely, the guidelines 4km good, 5-6 better. Getting to that height can mean your team's destroyed the enemy or won by the time you get there but it can also mean your entire team's on the deck and you'd wing-rip diving to support. So, if everyone else isn't climbing or is breaking really early, should you cut your climb to 2-3km so you can hover over the battlefield instead?

What I do if I'm solo queued* is climb behind my team (doing big zigzags), instead of way off to the side. If your team stays low and gets bounced, it's better to be nearby and help them, than to spend 15 minutes loving off by yourself to 10,000m and realize it's down to you versus like 7 people.

*Hop in mumble, fly with goons.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shine posted:

What I do if I'm solo queued* is climb behind my team (doing big zigzags), instead of way off to the side. If your team stays low and gets bounced, it's better to be nearby and help them, than to spend 15 minutes loving off by yourself to 10,000m and realize it's down to you versus like 7 people.

This is good advice. Thanks.

quote:

*Hop in mumble, fly with goons.

Yeah, I know, I just can't hear poo poo at the moment because there's plumbing works going on about three feet away from me so I wouldn't be able to talk or hear anything, somewhat defeating the purpose.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I should stop flying the ki-102 in RB.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

spectralent posted:

It kind of depends what tier, plane and nation you're in. If everyone's on the deck getting mulched. Yeah there's probably not too much point climbing to space. It's probably a lost match to start with and sucks to be you on your lovely, probably american team. Keep a couple km above them at least and hang back until they're engaged and then pick off what you want.

If you're team is actually being semi-sensible then if you're having trouble climbing to altitude in time, you're probably climbing wrong. Even completely stock. Unless it's a Corsair or something which are painfully terrible at it.

regarding altitudes. More is nearly always better. The saying "altitude is life" exists for a reason. If you're plane becomes a floppy hot garbage dildo above a certain altitude then you may not want to fly above that but even then it's still frequently useful. Some general thoughts:

4km is "decent" for Russian and Japanese planes, because they tend to lose a lot of performance above that for many planes. I'd still recommend climbing above that however in many of them. If you choose not to fly higher be vary wary that you will be getting boomed on from 6km.

For things like 109s, 190s, spitfires etc then 4km is just not good enough in most cases. It's almost guaranteed death. 6km is "adequate". More is better.

Heavy plane with poor climbrate like most 190s, P-47s and Corsairs need to get above or higher than the enemy. Which means they may need to go even higher. This used to be easier because the spotting distances would let you see where the enemy was engaged and thus your position into relation to it. Even at long ranges. Not so much any more.

Amusingly once early/mid jets come into play there's doesn't seem to be much need to climb over 4km most of the time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Ki-44 Summary:
It's a fast plane. Don't think Ki-61 or 109, instead think 190/P47! Just as an earlier version. Wing loading = ~ 200kg/m².

Low speed handling: Handles fine but isn't an agile bird. Most planes will outturn you at these speeds. Only go slow when climbing or landing. Otherwise go fast.
Medium speed handling: ~300 to 550 kph - Good rollrate and good turn ability
High speed handling: Unlike the 190 it will suffer from compression beyond 600 kph IAS. Becoming quite stiff.
Diving: I haven't yet redlined it. It does accelerate quite nicely in a dive but the bad aerodynamics will seriously impact your ability to go beyond 700 kph IAS. Though this helps pulling out of dives. Since you have trouble becoming too fast.

Even a Dive with "only" 700 kph IAS will allow for a very nice zoom climb, so use it to BnZ. ... with 2x 7.7mm and 2x 12.7mm guns. Sadly firing together.
Pursuit: Haven't met a single plane that I couldn't run down. Even managed to extend on a Typhoon Mk.Ia which dove on me with 2km altitude advantage.

Verdict: Funny change from other :japan: planes. Very useful if you don't want to chase enemy planes forever. Though alone you'll get outturned by everyone and might have issues with landing kills.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Ki-44 Summary:
It's a support plane.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Ki-44 would be pretty good if its guns didn't suck. Particularly since 90% of the time it faces notably sturdy planes like A-20s, P-40s, American naval fighters.

It can shoot down early spits pretty well.

Because every spit before the IIb is pretty bad. But maybe that's just me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I agree, the Ki-44 ranges from infuriating to meh. The default belts for the guns are truly horrible and make it more of a pain than is normal to try to spade a Japanese plane.

However, they're quite fun in groups.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shanakin posted:

It kind of depends what tier, plane and nation you're in. If everyone's on the deck getting mulched. Yeah there's probably not too much point climbing to space. It's probably a lost match to start with and sucks to be you on your lovely, probably american team. Keep a couple km above them at least and hang back until they're engaged and then pick off what you want.

If you're team is actually being semi-sensible then if you're having trouble climbing to altitude in time, you're probably climbing wrong. Even completely stock. Unless it's a Corsair or something which are painfully terrible at it.

regarding altitudes. More is nearly always better. The saying "altitude is life" exists for a reason. If you're plane becomes a floppy hot garbage dildo above a certain altitude then you may not want to fly above that but even then it's still frequently useful. Some general thoughts:

4km is "decent" for Russian and Japanese planes, because they tend to lose a lot of performance above that for many planes. I'd still recommend climbing above that however in many of them. If you choose not to fly higher be vary wary that you will be getting boomed on from 6km.

For things like 109s, 190s, spitfires etc then 4km is just not good enough in most cases. It's almost guaranteed death. 6km is "adequate". More is better.

Heavy plane with poor climbrate like most 190s, P-47s and Corsairs need to get above or higher than the enemy. Which means they may need to go even higher. This used to be easier because the spotting distances would let you see where the enemy was engaged and thus your position into relation to it. Even at long ranges. Not so much any more.

Amusingly once early/mid jets come into play there's doesn't seem to be much need to climb over 4km most of the time.

The issue with those is often things are happening way below 6km and there's kind of a soft cap on how fast you can dive anyway; above 600-800 depending on the plane you're risking the plane exploding spontaneously whenever you start adjusting. So, I'm finding that, often, I need to kill off a load of altitude anyway just to be able to dive without breaking the sound barrier.

I suspect this may be wrong.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly one of the hardest judgment calls in this game is when to dive and start killing people and when to wait it out. It's the thing you'll most often see the total nerd cyber pilots screw up more than basic maneuvers and gunnery. It's a very fine line between diving in for a quick kill or two then getting wrecked and sitting out the whole fight and losing on tickets or finding yourself grossly outnumbered. Right on that line are those magical games where a squad gets every or drat near every kill on the team. One more reason full squads are so OP. Two diving in a touch early while two stay on over watch is generally very good.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I should stop flying the ki-102 in RB.

Incorrect

spectralent posted:

The issue with those is often things are happening way below 6km and there's kind of a soft cap on how fast you can dive anyway; above 600-800 depending on the plane you're risking the plane exploding spontaneously whenever you start adjusting. So, I'm finding that, often, I need to kill off a load of altitude anyway just to be able to dive without breaking the sound barrier.

I suspect this may be wrong.

There are ways to mitigate this, like killing the engine as you dive, but usually you just deal with it by aborting the dive and trying again rather than setting up for some single aggressive dive. Your enemy will probably panic as they see you come in and burn some their energy evading. As long as you bounce correctly, you can just keep doing these fakeouts until you have a good killing dive lined up. Once acceleration winds down, if I'm still not on the target I abort because I feel like I'm throwing energy way at that point.

Sard fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 2, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

Incorrect

I think it has been tuned according to the datasheet since you have flown it last in RB.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Enduring Confrontation SB is now active. And it allows tanks?
You can pick the Sovietfire without owning it, also the cheapest plane spawn I can see is just under 10,000 lions. Also it's the Yer so the Russian team has a lot of Yers and oh man.
:toot:

Sard fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 2, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sard posted:

Enduring Confrontation SB is now active. And it allows tanks?
You can pick the Sovietfire without owning it, also the cheapest plane spawn I can see is just under 10,000 lions. Also it's the Yer so the Russian team has a lot of Yers and oh man.
:toot:

:captainpop:

I guess we finally know what people are meant to do with their billions. I can't see how this is a good move, though; it's going to make the new mode hard to casually get into, when I'd think you'd need fairly high participation for grand scale fights.

EDIT: Checking it looks like it's 8-16 still, and intended for people who're up to rank III already, and has +20% SL, so the cost's actually not a big deal. I guess in this case I just expected it bigger.

EDIT^2: That's a 10 not 100 whoops.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the 50 wheraboos with Erich Hartmann variations in their name will rejoice as the age of open world BnZ is upon us

really though its just as good news for people that like to fly things like stukas as well because they will be a lot harder to find than in the other modes.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Sadly no stuka or sturmovik yet as far as I can see. The new plane sounds make awareness easy and lion rewards are huge, I'm at a profit of 60k so far. Kills also subtract time from your wait for better planes, but you start in a Yak-9U so lol.

E: bunch of bots that won't take off

Sard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 2, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, looks like it's time for pro tier pilots to add piss/poo poo collection bags to their essential flight simulation experience. A fan on the desk won't cut it anymore.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It seems completely empty. AI pilots keep ramming people like morons. Playing bombers is reasonably good SL, fantastic, even, but also very boring.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Ki-44's guns got fixed. You can fire the .50s separately now like the Mc-202.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

hm.

sure is easy to get kills in SB.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread