Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

cisco privilege posted:

If it were true your SSDs/HDDs wouldn't function, among other things. False alarm.
I don't know gently caress all about voltage/rails and things, haha (obviously!) Thank you for your reassurances and confirming my suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've got a minor question so I figured no point bothering with a Haus post: the past week or so I've had my laptop's keyboard just completely stop working for about 30 seconds to a minute for no apparent reason. None of the keys work, either for typing or other commands. However, there's no issue with PC performance at all, I can switch tabs/programs/whatever fine with my mouse and I can't see anything notable in task manager. After said short period it'll 'lag' back to working, generally executing a few commands from the start and/or end of the freeze. Any idea what could be causing this? I suspect it being some kind of software issue rather than hardware because of said lag and because two of the three times was typing into an ask-box on tumblr, and the third now was in a chat on another web-page. Not enough times to really call it a pattern but still pretty similar situations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
VOIP phones? Is there any reason to go with anything much over MagicJack? I used to use Vonage and it was pretty good, but I'm looking for cheap too.

Basically I"m going to cancel my TWC phone. We like having the house phone because A> we get lovely cell service and B> We like having a number to give out that we can easily ignore.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Installed a new CPU fan on my 4770k. Prime95 running for about 20 minutes didn't get above 75c. Went ahead and turned up the fan speed in BIOS. Playing a game, system hard resets, now won't post but fans spin. Think I ESD'd the board installing it? Would you normally get fans spinning with a dead CPU? Video card gets power, fans spin, but USB/PS2 devices don't turn on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DOOMocrat posted:

Installed a new CPU fan on my 4770k. Prime95 running for about 20 minutes didn't get above 75c. Went ahead and turned up the fan speed in BIOS. Playing a game, system hard resets, now won't post but fans spin. Think I ESD'd the board installing it? Would you normally get fans spinning with a dead CPU? Video card gets power, fans spin, but USB/PS2 devices don't turn on.
Yes a dead CPU wouldn't prevent the fan spinning, try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the board before you worry too much. Also try unplugging power, pressing the power button to clear capacitors, and letting it sit for a bit before plugging it back in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd reseat everything while you're at it and if you have multiple memory modules see if you can get the system to post by pulling all but one and then add them back until you're back to a no-post condition or the system is back to normal.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Did all that. It's not RAM, it's not video card, USB devices won't power. Reset CMOS, manually removed battery, cleared caps, still won't power on this morning. Since boards die a lot easier than processors do I went ahead and ordered a replacement board. If it's PSU I don't have another one handy to test, but it sounds like motherboard.

Asus Z87 Plus, if that helps

Edit: Ah, apparently the on-board power button glowing read means you're hosed, from some cursory YouTube searches. Oh well, parts are in tomorrow.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
OK so I've honestly looked as hard as I can but I can't find out what I should do about my Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb FleX fan wobble/coming loose. I've taken it apart and theres some rust and stuff in the bottom, cleaned it out (though I'm not sure what I can do about the rust deposits), put sewing machine oil on it (per DIY instructions), and re-set it. It's held together by magnetism as far as I can tell as it just pops off and then pop back on. No screws or anything. It also installs upside down in the case which I guess complicates the whole coming loose issue.

Basically what I'm asking is should I buy a new fan or try to fix this one? What fan size should I get if I take the replacement route (again I looked for specs but I don't know where to find them)?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W semi modular power supply and almost all of the cables are missing. I sent an e-mail to thermaltake's support earlier today and have not heard back yet (I will be impressed if they contact me). Google lead me to a Tom's Hardware thread where a user said that all modular power supply cables are cross compatible, is there any truth to this? Even so, thus far I am only finding $100 "individually sleeved" cable kits which kinda seem like bling to me, is there a real advantage to individually sleeved cables?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W semi modular power supply and almost all of the cables are missing. I sent an e-mail to thermaltake's support earlier today and have not heard back yet (I will be impressed if they contact me). Google lead me to a Tom's Hardware thread where a user said that all modular power supply cables are cross compatible, is there any truth to this? Even so, thus far I am only finding $100 "individually sleeved" cable kits which kinda seem like bling to me, is there a real advantage to individually sleeved cables?
No, modular cables are not cross-compatible, you will probably fry hardware if you try even if the connectors fit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W semi modular power supply and almost all of the cables are missing

Go here, check the "accessories" box at the top of the left-hand column.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

VOIP phones? Is there any reason to go with anything much over MagicJack? I used to use Vonage and it was pretty good, but I'm looking for cheap too.

Basically I"m going to cancel my TWC phone. We like having the house phone because A> we get lovely cell service and B> We like having a number to give out that we can easily ignore.

I like the Obihai stuff. Box is $50 and you use a free Google Voice number with it.

http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

I will second the vote on using Obihai with Google Voice. It cut my landline from a $40 a month bill to a one time $50 payment almost two years ago. Setup is painless but might take a few hours of your day for the initial setup of entering your information and having the system connect.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

If it's too expensive to buy the parts I'd seriously consider getting a new PSU. Thermaltake's only good line is the Toughpower series and even then it's not that great compared to Seasonic or Superflower. The TR2 series is actually pretty mediocre so it may not be worth it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I will second the vote on using Obihai with Google Voice. It cut my landline from a $40 a month bill to a one time $50 payment almost two years ago. Setup is painless but might take a few hours of your day for the initial setup of entering your information and having the system connect.

That poo poo looks amazing except for the fact it looks like I can't transfer my current number in. I WOULD like to keep my number, and it's considered a LandLine/VOIP number.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

That poo poo looks amazing except for the fact it looks like I can't transfer my current number in. I WOULD like to keep my number, and it's considered a LandLine/VOIP number.

You can, but you have to port to a cell line temporarily through something like a T-Mobile SIM card.

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

You can also use a 3rd party like PhonePower with the obihai and port whatever you want over as well. I ended up using PhonePower as the provider with the obihai because it offered e911 service and a few other features. Pricing is $35/year.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

FCKGW posted:

You can, but you have to port to a cell line temporarily through something like a T-Mobile SIM card.

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

You can also use a 3rd party like PhonePower with the obihai and port whatever you want over as well. I ended up using PhonePower as the provider with the obihai because it offered e911 service and a few other features. Pricing is $35/year.

Thanks man. I'll have to do PhonePower, google can't port my number at all. Still a poo poo load cheaper even than my promotional rate.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cisco privilege posted:

If it's too expensive to buy the parts I'd seriously consider getting a new PSU. Thermaltake's only good line is the Toughpower series and even then it's not that great compared to Seasonic or Superflower. The TR2 series is actually pretty mediocre so it may not be worth it.

I agree with you there, but it was a free PSU and it is my only modular power supply, I think I only need a PCI-E cable for $10.

On a related note, I also obtained an LGA 775 motherboard, an Asus P5QPL-AM with a loving Celeron 420 - the slowest chip the board supports. Assuming this is boarding is not a horrendous turd, I want to upgrade the CPU. On Amazon or eBay, I can find a 3.33GHz Core 2 Due e8600 for about $30, or a 3GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650 for about $90. . . I believe the Core 2 Duo is by far the smarter upgrade choice. I honestly don't know much at all about the Core 2 series or more modern Intel CPUs, is there a better chip I should look for to go with this board?

I will say the Asus P5QPL-AM is strange, and it seem like Asus cheaped out a little with regards to a couple of the jumpers on the board. . . To enable power on by keyboard, there is a jumper that needs to be set, same for USB ports 1-4 on the rear, and 5-8 on the front. Why did they do it this way instead of just using settings in the BIOS? It seems just strange.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

On a related note, I also obtained an LGA 775 motherboard, an Asus P5QPL-AM with a loving Celeron 420 - the slowest chip the board supports. Assuming this is boarding is not a horrendous turd, I want to upgrade the CPU. On Amazon or eBay, I can find a 3.33GHz Core 2 Due e8600 for about $30, or a 3GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650 for about $90. . . I believe the Core 2 Duo is by far the smarter upgrade choice. I honestly don't know much at all about the Core 2 series or more modern Intel CPUs, is there a better chip I should look for to go with this board?
Yeah I think picking up the C2D would be a good idea.

quote:

I will say the Asus P5QPL-AM is strange, and it seem like Asus cheaped out a little with regards to a couple of the jumpers on the board. . . To enable power on by keyboard, there is a jumper that needs to be set, same for USB ports 1-4 on the rear, and 5-8 on the front. Why did they do it this way instead of just using settings in the BIOS? It seems just strange.
Are you talking about the jumpers that switch these devices to be powered from the +5VSB (StandBy) rail so that they remain turned on when the computer is off? By moving the jumper you are changing what power source it connects to, expensive boards can do that in the BIOS but it's not cost-effective for lower-end boards. Keep in mind that is one of the cheapest boards Asus made for LGA775 so you should be expecting cut corners all over the place.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 30, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

I honestly don't know much at all about the Core 2 series or more modern Intel CPUs, is there a better chip I should look for to go with this board?
This is the CPU support list:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/HelpDesk_CPU/

You might be able to find a e8400 for a little less and the performance difference isn't significant. If you need a quad for whatever reason and you'd be willing to overclock you could go with a Q6600. Any C2D/C2Q chip won't compare that well with a modern CPU though so I'd avoid spending too much money on the chip.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

It looks like that board is compatible with a sticker modded Xeon, thoroughly described here: http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

I don't remember where I read about this trick initially, but just a few months ago I did this and upgraded the processor on my old Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3P. A Xeon E5450 cost me 30 bucks (they're listed at $25 now) and a sticker was just $3. There's a good bit of reading to do beforehand, but it's spelled out very clear on that site.

The E8600 is gonna be the slightly cheaper option, and less work. Probably the way to go if you don't need 4 cores, and won't miss the extra cache.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

utonium posted:

It looks like that board is compatible with a sticker modded Xeon, thoroughly described here: http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

I don't remember where I read about this trick initially, but just a few months ago I did this and upgraded the processor on my old Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3P. A Xeon E5450 cost me 30 bucks (they're listed at $25 now) and a sticker was just $3. There's a good bit of reading to do beforehand, but it's spelled out very clear on that site.

The E8600 is gonna be the slightly cheaper option, and less work. Probably the way to go if you don't need 4 cores, and won't miss the extra cache.

That looks fun and risky. I guess this is really not a scam :haw:. I think I will stick to the e8600 simply because it is 3.33GHz instead of 3GHz that the e5450 runs. I don't believe I utilitize my quad core Phenom II 840 as is, and if cpu-world.com is anything to go by the e8600 will be a tiny bit faster. On a related note, I am really starting to like CPU-world.com for comparing processors, they have a wider selection than Anandtech's benchmarks and generate charts that say poo poo like "pro: 90% less power con: 79% slower".

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

That looks fun and risky. I guess this is really not a scam :haw:. I think I will stick to the e8600 simply because it is 3.33GHz instead of 3GHz that the e5450 runs. I don't believe I utilitize my quad core Phenom II 840 as is, and if cpu-world.com is anything to go by the e8600 will be a tiny bit faster. On a related note, I am really starting to like CPU-world.com for comparing processors, they have a wider selection than Anandtech's benchmarks and generate charts that say poo poo like "pro: 90% less power con: 79% slower".
Nope, not a scam, other than sort of inflated price. Also, I forgot that you have to mod the socket on your mobo with an Xacto knife, that part made me sweat a touch. And yeah, the E8600 does run faster, although the chip I bought has been running at 3.6Ghz; it overclocked easily on air cooling. But the Gigabyte EP45-UD3x boards had a pretty solid overclocking rep at the time, I'm not familiar with yours.

If only DDR2 RAM was as cheap and as easy to find as Socket 775 CPUs.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Would the Seagate Archive HDD 8 TB be suitable for storing media and torrenting from? It seems to be the best bang for the buck storage-wise.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trump posted:

Would the Seagate Archive HDD 8 TB be suitable for storing media and torrenting from? It seems to be the best bang for the buck storage-wise.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

An Archive drive is not meant for general purpose storage. It's a data center drive (specifically cold storage) that uses drive-managed SMR and can result in unpredictable performance characteristics in other environments.
I've not tested it (we just got about 20 8TB Archives in our lab) but torrenting seems like a fairly undesirable workload for drive-managed SMR.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I'd like to purchase one of those fancy CPU coolers (Noctua NH-U9B SE2) which are PWM controlled. I have an old 1150 Medion mainboard that stills runs a i7-2600 and a stock cooler. Is it even possible to use a modern fan that will run faster/slower according to the CPU's temperature? Thanks!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
You can find this info on the manual for your mobo, there should be a whole page just about cpu and chassis fans connectors with details such as the number of pins each connector has. If you have cpu connectors with 4 pins I think that means you will be able to use those kind of fans.

Edit: checking my own mobo manual there are 4-pin connectors with one pin labeled "pwm" (there should be details about each pin on your mobo manual as well) but some of the chassis connectors only have a "+5v" instead so I guess not all 4-pin connectors are necessarily pwm controlled, but they will probably be labeled as such.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 1, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

program666 posted:

You can find this info on the manual for your mobo, there should be a whole page just about cpu and chassis fans connectors with details such as the number of pins each connector has. If you have cpu connectors with 4 pins I think that means you will be able to use those kind of fans.

I'll look for the manual then. Thank you!

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
What do people here recommend for checking the health/sectors for errors of personal hard drives? I want to see if I should replace any of my hard drives due to failure.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Uh, sorry. Me again. Here's the manual: http://217.110.237.70/Manuals/7728v2.0(Medion).pdf
That socket in the upper right corner on page 4 saying "CPU fan" has 4 pins. This means it is PWM controlled, no? There is nothing else that looks like it has anything to do with fans.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
if you go to page 2-13 there is some more details about the connector, one of the pins say "Control" instead of "PWM". I'm guessing you can use pwm controlled fans, but I couldn't find a definitive answer after some googling.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

e: Yep, didn't see that. Thanks again!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 1, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I just learned i have one of these suckers sitting around as a freebie for something I bought years ago.

Any reason it won't work with a non-notebok drive via a usb3 connection?

I don't exactly want to fry a drive due to insufficnent power requirements while trying to clone it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

whatupdet posted:

What do people here recommend for checking the health/sectors for errors of personal hard drives? I want to see if I should replace any of my hard drives due to failure.

CrystalDiskInfo is pretty good at it. Just make sure to get the portable normal edition so you don't get anime and ads. If it says caution for anything other than temperature, just replace the disk as it's on its way out.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I just opened it, I was expecting a scan but it was instant. All of my drives are showing good except my WD 3TB green which has Caution [C6] Uncorrectable sector count: 1. I guess I'll replace that disk, is it fine to copy files from that drive over to another drive or will that corrupt the other drive?

Secondly, is there an option within Windows 7 to do a multipass wipe/format to clear old drives before throwing away and/or selling?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

whatupdet posted:

I just opened it, I was expecting a scan but it was instant. All of my drives are showing good except my WD 3TB green which has Caution [C6] Uncorrectable sector count: 1. I guess I'll replace that disk, is it fine to copy files from that drive over to another drive or will that corrupt the other drive?
Yeah there's no need to perform a scan or anything because drive maintaind internal error logs. You can go ahead and copy files off of a failing drive, just never attempt to image a system drive or copy installed programs if you can avoid it. It won't hurt the new drive, but it doesn't fix the corrupted files caused by the failure of the first one.

quote:

Secondly, is there an option within Windows 7 to do a multipass wipe/format to clear old drives before throwing away and/or selling?
There's absolutely no need for a multi-pass wipe, it's no more secure than a single pass. I recommend using the drive manufacturer's tool to wipe drives as you test them prior to sale, and physically destroying drives that fail diagnostics.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's fine to copy files over to another drive and it won't corrupt the new drive.
1 uncorrectable sector does indicate that the drive's failing, but unless it's noisy or locking up it should last more than long enough to back everything up. For a single reported error you could probably get away with cloning it straight-out since the chance that it's something critical isn't that high, particularly if it's not hosting an OS.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

whatupdet posted:

I have a requirement at work to be fairly certain my drives are good before using them, so they all undergo a single wipe pass to make sure I can write to every sector. This obviously takes time, and I've never considered doing it for any drives I use in my home system. The SMART data that CrystalDisk provides to you is not foolproof, but certainly if it reports a problem you should do something about it. Drives can and will report no problems in the SMART data but still fail.
I can't recommend any particular non-destructive surface test - all the stuff I do overwrites the entire disk.

As to your question about a Windows wiping tool, the built-in Windows full format will do this for you on any operating system from Vista onwards (so no problem with your Win 7.) The quick format will NOT do this, but the full format overwrites every sector. Only 1 pass, but as has been said any more than 1 is overkill anyway.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Welp. Figured my stuff out with macrium reflect. Problem : Clone Failed Read Failed 22- Broken Pipe  at around sixty five percent .

Any advise? Should I take this over to the disk thread?
Running chkdsk now but since when does it eat 14 gb of ram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Trump posted:

Long term media storage (writing once, reading many)? That's basically the design case. Torrenting, lots of little writes? No.

Turns out my guess it would be hell in a RAID array was completely correct.

Storage Review posted:

The HGST He8 HDDs completed its rebuild in 19 hours and 46 minutes. The Seagate Archive HDDs completed their rebuild in 57 hours and 13 minutes.

Edit: haha, some of the graphs in that review are loving hilarious, and show exactly why these drives are not for general use:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 2, 2015