Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

He is very little :kimchi: And his squeaks are so much higher than the adult birds in his family. He's very good for cuddling and reading books to, and also seems to find the sound of my little fan heater soothing.
it is illegal under laws to say this and not post pictures of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

painted bird posted:

That is loving adorable.

I keep wanting to suggest you name him Peach if he's a boy but that would be unspeakably mean to do to a tiny bird that has done no wrong.

I used to be chthonic bell. Remember the myth of the clean and gay Wehrmacht?

That was one of my plans for a temporary name! I was thinking of giving him a Desert Peach name if he turned out to be a boy, but that would be too cruel. :cheeky: Instead, he's going to be Furiosa if a girl, and Captain Fifi McAfee (Fifi for short) if he's a boy. Fifi is a much more dignified name.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tendai posted:

it is illegal under laws to say this and not post pictures of it

This is Bitey! This pic is from last night, the one I sent to my family and friends to let them know I finally have a birb. He's had an exciting day and is ready to go to sleep.

A birb in the hand (demonstrating the law that a birb will sit nice and still until you try to take a photo, at which point it will flip out in every direction).

Bitey doing very important things on his swing.

Bitey posing under my very dirty louvre (don't look at it!).

What are those noises? :eyepop: (It's lorikeets and noisy miners, Bitey tried his best to squeak louder than them.)

Scoot scoot scoot

Yeah I'm going to bust out the vacuum cleaner for those louvres, I forget how nasty they get when it's windy :V

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This is Bitey! This pic is from last night, the one I sent to my family and friends to let them know I finally have a birb. He's had an exciting day and is ready to go to sleep.

that bird is fuckin adorable

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at him LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE agh I can't handle it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My favorite birdie ever is a little love bird my family owned when I was a little. He was a tough fucker. He feared nothing but loved everyone. He had to be involved in everything we did. He was truly a family member.

So congrats on a wise decision.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey is booked in for a new baby bird checkup and surgical sexing (:pervert:) for next week. So by next week he will have a real bird name. I also had Toast (the Knowing) suggested as a girl name for Bitey, so she and Taco could team up as bird adventurers.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Is there anything outside that window past the grate? It looks like Bitey could squeeze out pretty easily

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

Is there anything outside that window past the grate? It looks like Bitey could squeeze out pretty easily

I see a mesh screen

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

So fuckin cute! Lovebirds are my favorite, my Boo is horribly cuddly and demanding of love and affection. I'm trying to teach her to poop on cue but she'd rather just poop on everything instead.

Bitey is a perfect name, because lovebirds spend most of their time doing that :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bassguitarhero posted:

Kenshin posted:

I see a mesh screen

Yeah, it's flyscreen all over. Part of the reason I picked this place to live: a couple of other options I was looking at had no flyscreen, and just open windows, which would be no good for a pet rat or bird.

I've been looking for birdproof places even though I didn't know until recently that I could get a birb, it's been on my mind for a looooooong time :3:

e: Keeps the flies and mozzies out too, which is important as this suburb is full of lagoons and borders onto a full-on protected wetlands/swamp.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
:siren:THREAD ALERT:siren:

Bitey has eaten some of his millet woozle (he loving loves millet) and is now having a nap while listening to the classical music channel on the radio.

e: This picture is also going in my "evidence that these screwholes in the wall were absolutely there before I moved in, don't try to take fixing them out of my bond, you fuckers" photo folder. My walls are loving atrocious.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fact that lovebirds don't smell like fruit candy is just wrong.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Bitey is booked in for a new baby bird checkup and surgical sexing (:pervert:) for next week. So by next week he will have a real bird name. I also had Toast (the Knowing) suggested as a girl name for Bitey, so she and Taco could team up as bird adventurers.

Wait, vets still do this? :confused:

I thought it was more or less blood sexing (DNA) or nothing nowadays, since surgical sexing has a pretty high chance of killing the bird.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Tendai posted:

¡¿They don't?! :aaa:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Grraarrgghh posted:

Wait, vets still do this? :confused:

I thought it was more or less blood sexing (DNA) or nothing nowadays, since surgical sexing has a pretty high chance of killing the bird.

This is in Australia, most vets I've spoken to do it. We may be backward though, just look at our internet. :v: They do both, but apparently they recommend surgical sexing as it gets results quicker and is more certain, plus cheaper. I've got a week until it happens, though, so I can switch it to DNA sexing. The vets there are very good, if that helps.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Yeah I heard they stopped doing that poo poo (in NA) like 15 years ago. I'm not sure how much DNA sexing is in Australian moon dollars, but in Canada it's like 30 bucks.

Also I'm not sure how anything could be more certain than a DNA test :shrug:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
DNA sexing is pretty non stressful compared to surgery to open your bird up. I've heard it's like $20 and you just need a bit of blood

E: Pretty sure this is the place the woman who bred my Quaker used
http://www.dnasolutions.com.au/dna-sexing.htm

You can use feathers too apparently, can't see why fluff that's fallen out wouldn't work, maybe its because it might get confused but you have 1 bird.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 2, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'll ask to change it ASAP in that case. Besides, I've put aside plenty of money for my "getting a birb" fund so even if it is more expensive I'm okay.

Yeah, most things I read said DNA sexing is much less stressful than surgical sexing. It might help with picking up any other health issues, too.

e:

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

E: Pretty sure this is the place the woman who bred my Quaker used
http://www.dnasolutions.com.au/dna-sexing.htm

You can use feathers too apparently, can't see why fluff that's fallen out wouldn't work, maybe its because it might get confused but you have 1 bird.

Nice! I might do that too!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra to find anything extra out other than its sex. Pretty sure the sexing part is quick and simple cause you just see if it has the bird equivalent of y/x and don't actually test the genome.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Got it switched to DNA sexing, apparently it IS cheaper :v:

I'm remembering my favourite bit of having a lovely pet bird, which is millet husks everywhere!

e: Bitey seems to know how to squeak when he wants to come out of his cage, and then squeak again when he wants to go back in. The miners have quieted down a bit so he's not quite so insistent on crawling up and down the flyscreen now!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fuji and Hara have both learned to mimic the sound of someone knocking on my door because it makes me get up to see who's there and they think it's funny. Bastards. :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
After the latest attempt to hug Bitey into submission, he was very happy to lie still and receive neck scritches :3: Now he's back getting millet everywhere so that I remember to vacuum and stop being lazy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

Good news, many Amazons do. Auri (a lilac-crowned) smells like tropical fruit sometimes with a slightly chocolatey undertone.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What are some good Australian sites to order a little harness for a lovebird? I would like to ultimately take Bitey out on walks with me and a harness would be a better option than sticking him in my sleeve and hoping for the best.

Little bird costumes are also good. If he turns out to be a boy I will get him a pretty dress, and a smart tuxedo if she turns out to be a girl. Because gender norms are for losers.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What are some good Australian sites to order a little harness for a lovebird? I would like to ultimately take Bitey out on walks with me and a harness would be a better option than sticking him in my sleeve and hoping for the best.

Little bird costumes are also good. If he turns out to be a boy I will get him a pretty dress, and a smart tuxedo if she turns out to be a girl. Because gender norms are for losers.

http://www.myparrotshop.com/accessories/aviator-harness-leash-with-instructional-dvd/prod_312.html

no idea on outfits however

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Pookah posted:

Almost afraid to say anything in case I tempt fate buuut.... I think she's ok; no evidence of any further plucking and lots new quills coming in all over her baldy place. It's been a real wake-up call to me to be more aware of times when she's feeling frustrated, which can only be a good thing. I still feel a bit sick when I think about it or see her poor tum.

Try not to feel too bad about it. Kinsasha the grey can tell if her owner is stressed out (to the point where my friend tries to hide it as much as she can, but Kinsasha always knows) and when that happens OH GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING TIME TO GET NAKED and then all her progress gets undone.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Today I had an impromptu ekkie gathering at my house. My friend Carlos came over with five of his birds to meet Slimbird. He owns a rescue in picayune, ms where he has 14 birds and wonderful indoor and outdoor aviaries.

I made friends with Tabitha who was his first bird and usually the most mamas only bird (her mama was behind me with Slim)

Then there was Cruz, Lucy, Ozzie, and Dixie the big fat vos Marie! Carlos thinks Slim is a vos hybrid because she's much smaller?

Dixie don't like the clip of yo jib

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Quote isn't edit

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This morning Pion seemed to sneeze several times in a row, and afterwards begin scramble around and squeak in a way I haven't seen before, with seemingly no provocation. It's probably nothing but I can't help to be worried. It also seemed to stop after she found the food again.

She's had a bald spot on her back head since I got her, but with some growing feathers which seem to slowly be opening now. Could it be related to that?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

zbeezy posted:

Today I had an impromptu ekkie gathering at my house. My friend Carlos came over with five of his birds to meet Slimbird. He owns a rescue in picayune, ms where he has 14 birds and wonderful indoor and outdoor aviaries.

I made friends with Tabitha who was his first bird and usually the most mamas only bird (her mama was behind me with Slim)

Then there was Cruz, Lucy, Ozzie, and Dixie the big fat vos Marie! Carlos thinks Slim is a vos hybrid because she's much smaller?

Dixie don't like the clip of yo jib

are those king parrots?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Eclectus parrots. The males are green, the females are red.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

For years scientists thought they were two different species of parrots

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, those are Eclectus parrots. King parrots are roughly the same colour scheme, but in reverse: the girls are a dullish green, with a couple of red and blue spots, and the boys are bright red with a blue tum. King parrots in the wild are very shy and gentle and tend to get pushed around at prime feeding spots by other more assertive birds, so I have a deep-seated affection for them :3:

Thank you for the link goldstandardconure! I'm thinking of getting some toys for Bitey once I figure out a bit more what kind of things he likes, which might also change as he gets older. He's so far not fussed on bits of cardboard and paper to chew on, but loves his spinny swing, bells, and things to climb up and down. Maybe as he gets older he'll decide he must create a nest or personal decoration for himself with bits of paper and cardboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agc02qNTyo4

e: he also loving loves millet. He sits next to his millet spray and puffs up and closes his eyes contentedly as he scoffs it down. I think it is going to be a good treat for motivating him to do tricks!

e2: the son of e: Also, after many mandatory hug times, Bitey is now happy to sit on my arm or leg or tummy calmly for as long as I keep patting him. Once the patting stops he makes a dash for the metal legs of my sink cupboard which he is SURE he will be able to climb this time (spoilers: he can't).

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Try not to feel too bad about it. Kinsasha the grey can tell if her owner is stressed out (to the point where my friend tries to hide it as much as she can, but Kinsasha always knows) and when that happens OH GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING TIME TO GET NAKED and then all her progress gets undone.

I'm trying to vent all my anxiety about her in places like this so that when I'm with her I'm all relaxed and happy :)

I think we've identified the source of her frustration (being left in her bedcage too late with nothing to do), and have hopefully addressed it on two fronts; getting her up earlier, and lots of chewables in the cage for nightime use. Reports say she was rustling about earlier this morning and when I got her up the paper was all chewed and torn so I think she likes it :3:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Battle Pigeon posted:

Are trains an option maybe? (No idea how cheap/connected they are there)

Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere there's bound to be at least one or two breeders out there, even if you had to get a young bird and tame it yourself. You'll find one, or someone who knows one, at the market probably

you should totally get a potato friend for the budgies, no hidden motive here nope no way

Trains in Germany are out of our budget range and I'm too crippled to deal with buses without major discomfort, but if it comes to that, I will take a bus to Bavaria. :mad:

I want a chocotato too but my partner's reaction to the idea of more birds is NO MORE BIRDS so uh, maybe in a couple of years.

Actually, we won't be looking exclusively at conures, if we find friendly hand-tame lovebirds or tiels or Quakers, those are all an option, too.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
:siren:Thread Alert:siren:

Bitey has had some more millet, had a good preen, spent some time on his cement perch sharpening his beak, and is now having a sleep with one leg tucked up in his body.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Introduced Bitey to my neighbours, they like him and think he is lovely and want birbs of their own :3: Apparently one of the neighbours up the hall has a big yellow bird in her outside area. I'm going to talk to her (or spy on it from the garden) and see what sort of bird it is :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
:siren:Thread Alert:siren:

Bitey was cold (window still open) and now he's in my hoodie sleeve! He crawled in on his own! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
EDIT: Never mind, here's some better content: my budgies aren't fighting, they're flirting. Oops.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 2, 2015