Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

The major problem I had with Thunderstone is that it has two different goals to be good at that usually antisynergise with each other. You have to be good at fighting AND good at buying stuff, at different times, and there's very little that makes you good at both. So if you get an unlucky hand of 'buy' when you want to fight, you're hosed and vice versa. And worse, if you get a sequence of mediocre hands for both, you're double-super-hosed, beause you just can't do anything much of use at all. It's the same problem Legendary has.

This is it exactly. Your hero cards (the dudes who fight monsters) give you little to no money. Equipment like big axes and poo poo can give you money, but can't be played to fight monsters unless you equip them to heroes (who have the right minimum strength requirements, so if you draw your big axe in the same hand as your scrawny wizard then WELP). The odds of you getting what you need when you need it are highly luck dependent because there didn't seem to be anything like Cellars, no Villages or Markets you could chain together, not even any Smithies or the like. The starting deck gives you some town guardsmen and some longspears and if you equip a spear onto a guardsman then you get to draw a single card, that's the level of "I need to draw and combo these cards together" you have to go through to get a single +1 Card in Dominion terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kai Tave posted:

So in "not endlessly bitching about Thunderstone" news I also played my first two games of Tash-Kalar. Actually, I am gonna bitch about something else...dude, when you say you'd like to play a game, please let me at least try to explain the loving rules before burying your nose in the summary sheet for an awkward and wordless 15 minutes because we're not using that, we're using the intro game booklet, and also I can't tell whether you understand anything or not.

That out of the way, Tash-Kalar is a Good Game. I can see how some people might get frustrated by the sudden reversals of fortune that seem prone to happening when a couple of clever summonings wind up smashing their carefully laid plans to bits...but none of it feels arbitrary so much as a thing the actual ebb and flow of the game, you can't get so wrapped up in one specific goal or objective that you can't shift gears when you need to, which you will. The second game I played wound up a bit like this where I started out getting stomped, my pieces destroyed left and right, but the guy doing it wasn't taking enough advantage of that to secure any of the objectives and so I was able to flare a couple times, rally, and wound up winning when he triggered the endgame by running out of cards and he couldn't come back in time.

I haven't played with the full rules (legendary creatures, all the objectives) yet, nor have I done any team games, but I'm definitely interested in doing so. I can see how this is a game that might lead to analysis paralysis as the board becomes more crowded and plays become more complicated, but at least the game is designed to bring itself to a natural conclusion so it's not that bad.

I loving love Tash-Kalar. If you want to play on BGA, hit me up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hi guys I'm at a hobby shop and they have the Tash Kalar game. Friend said he wanted me to get it for him. Which version was the good one again? Thanks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Hi guys I'm at a hobby shop and they have the Tash Kalar game. Friend said he wanted me to get it for him. Which version was the good one again? Thanks.

If it says Z-Man Games on the box that's the bad (cheaply made) one, it's ultimately the same game but one has nicer components.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kai Tave posted:

If it says Z-Man Games on the box that's the bad (cheaply made) one, it's ultimately the same game but one has nicer components.

CGE (Czech Games Esomething) is the good version. It should also be quite a bit cheaper, which is something that I'm totally not bitter towards Z-Man for.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GrandpaPants posted:

CGE (Czech Games Esomething) is the good version. It should also be quite a bit cheaper, which is something that I'm totally not bitter towards Z-Man for.

Ok thanks for the quick replies. It's the CGE one! Wait it does have both Z man and CGE on the box.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Czech Games Edition. Generally excellent publishers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chill la Chill posted:

Ok thanks for the quick replies. It's the CGE one! Wait it does have both Z man and CGE on the box.

CGE is on all of their products regardless of who happens to be publishing it in the area you're in. You want the box that only has CGE on it and doesn't have the Z-Man logo on it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chill la Chill posted:

Both editions have the CGE logo. The better edition is the one that doesn't have the Z-man logo.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just taught myself Eminent Domain plus the expansion. I'm excited to teach it tonight and play it multiple times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ojetor posted:

Both editions have the CGE logo. The better edition is the one that doesn't have the Z-man logo.

Oh ok. I didn't get it and will wait. Thanks again guys.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh ok. I didn't get it and will wait. Thanks again guys.

If they're deep discounting it (~$10-15), it's still worth picking up. You can then just pick up the Upgrade Pack on CSI. Or just skip the middleman and just get the game for $27.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I saw my local store finally got the CGE-only edition of Tash-Kalar in stock and they're still charging a hundred loving dollars for it.

gently caress Australian game prices.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

7th game in the COIN series officially announced:
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-548-colonial-twilight-the-french-algerian-war-1954-62.aspx

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1ddb6d85/0

quote:

COLONIAL TWILIGHT - The French-Algerian War, 1954-62

[Train, Brian]Brian Train - 07:58pm Jun 29, 2015 EST
"Make new junk!" - Dan Cicero

From GMT Games:

November 1st, 1954: On the eve of All Saint’s Day, armed members of the Front de Liberation Nationale arose in revolt across Algeria against the French colonial government. The authorities suppressed these first incidents quickly, but this date marked the beginning of an eight-year war that saw hundreds of thousands of casualties, widespread atrocities and reprisals, political and social turmoil, and the effective end of the French Empire.

COLONIAL TWILIGHT takes 1 to 2 players (:eyepop:) into the tangled web of military and political actions comprising this anti-colonialist struggle. The Insurgent, starting from modest beginnings, must build massive and enduring popular support for his cause, and organize to assume power when Algeria finally gains its independence. The Government, representing both the colonial authorities and France’s military leadership, must engage the nationalist insurgency decisively while striving to preserve the support and commitment of the civilian government and society. Players will enter the “heart of darkness” as they use military, political, and economic actions and exploit events to build and maneuver forces to influence or control the population or otherwise achieve their aims along the twisting route to independence. Subversion, torture, factionalism, coups d’etat, forced resettlement, foreign sanctuaries, ambushes, “neutralization”… the whole grim catalog of a pitiless war is there, with a political and moral legacy that French society is only now beginning to confront.

This latest instalment in GMT’s popular COIN Series system is the first to be designed for two players. You must consider carefully just what you want to do, and how much of it, before the initiative will slip from your fingers. Also, a full solitaire system enables solo players to test their skill against a devious game-run enemy.

From the Casbah to the Maghreb, are you ready to run the gauntlet?

Designed by Brian Train, developed by Jordan Kehrer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Really interested to see what they did to the card system in order to make it two-player

And Jesus when are these all supposed to come out? Liberty or Death is this year, Falling Sky next, and A Terrible Beauty, Pendragon, and now Colonial Twilight and the Cuba Libre expansion don't seem to have dates yet; plus there's a prototype of Iron Butterfly floating around somewhere.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Oldstench posted:

I loving love Tash-Kalar. If you want to play on BGA, hit me up.

Be warned, the BGA Tash-Kalar community is a shark pool. The implementation is great, but the opposition is way fiercer than any Tash-Kalar player I've faced in real life.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GrandpaPants posted:

If they're deep discounting it (~$10-15), it's still worth picking up. You can then just pick up the Upgrade Pack on CSI. Or just skip the middleman and just get the game for $27.

Whoa. That's a steal. Gonna wait and try and get the free shipping with a couple new x wing ships!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I still want a Terrible Beauty before almost anything else. It sounds like this is immediately next on the list. A Terrible Beauty doesn't even have a GMT page yet, does it?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

golden bubble posted:

Be warned, the BGA Tash-Kalar community is a shark pool. The implementation is great, but the opposition is way fiercer than any Tash-Kalar player I've faced in real life.

Well I went to BGA and created an account to poke around. It makes my shitbox computer chug like an overweight asthmatic but I got a couple games in and went 1-1, I have yet to effectively summon a legendary creature though.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

golden bubble posted:

What are some of the BGA tactics?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sonatinas posted:

What are some of the BGA tactics?

From my limited experience the main one is "always putting your goddamn pieces right where I needed mine to be, no no don't destroy that one you rear end in a top hat, don't you dARE OH YOU FUCKER."

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

From my limited experience the main one is "always putting your goddamn pieces right where I needed mine to be, no no don't destroy that one you rear end in a top hat, don't you dARE OH YOU FUCKER."

I tend to end a lot of games with "ha ha! I've finally summoned a legendary creature!" And then I lose 11-5.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So far I feel like legendary creatures are more of a happy accident than something you plan for.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Have you folks used Vassal engine at all? I just downloaded it along with the mage knight module and... it's functional and completely playable mage knight.
Is this even legal? Seems like it's kind of stealing and hosting all the paid-for game content for free.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I use it a lot - most of my PBPs are run in it somehow or another because it's useful for keeping track of game states. Vassal's site is very, very good about removing modules if the creators want them removed, and most companies are happy to have them up there provided that something is done to hobble the module. Most notably, FFG games usually have one stack of cards with the text removed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Have you folks used Vassal engine at all? I just downloaded it along with the mage knight module and... it's functional and completely playable mage knight.
Is this even legal? Seems like it's kind of stealing and hosting all the paid-for game content for free.

It really depends on the game. I sometimes use it for Navajo Wars but you can't find certain flow charts and stuff online so to really be able to play it you have to buy it. Also helps that the designer also made the vassal module.

I like mage night in vassal; however, I prefer the real thing because I have a 21 inch monitor and have to always move windows around to play.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I use VASSAL to prototype my designs when I'm absolutely desperate to playtest online for whatever reason. I regret it every time.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

That out of the way, Tash-Kalar is a Good Game. I can see how some people might get frustrated by the sudden reversals of fortune that seem prone to happening when a couple of clever summonings wind up smashing their carefully laid plans to bits...but none of it feels arbitrary so much as a thing the actual ebb and flow of the game, you can't get so wrapped up in one specific goal or objective that you can't shift gears when you need to, which you will. The second game I played wound up a bit like this where I started out getting stomped, my pieces destroyed left and right, but the guy doing it wasn't taking enough advantage of that to secure any of the objectives and so I was able to flare a couple times, rally, and wound up winning when he triggered the endgame by running out of cards and he couldn't come back in time.

Yeah it's less swingy than it seems. People being surprised when the board shifts radically have usually over-extended either because they just didn't care about piece count or because they went for a high-value goal, most of which do their best to gently caress your board position somehow. I've lost more than one game foolishly going for Corner Chain only to end up with a bunch of dead weight pieces on opposite sides of the board.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

I use VASSAL to prototype my designs when I'm absolutely desperate to playtest online for whatever reason. I regret it every time.

Feel like expanding? Are you against online playtesting, or VASSAL implementation in particular? I'm currently trying to figure out a way to rapid-prototype and rapid-iterate a game I'm screwing around with. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
From my experiences as BL's crying shoulder, I think it's more the actual creation of VASSAL mods being frustrating.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

StashAugustine posted:

Really interested to see what they did to the card system in order to make it two-player

And Jesus when are these all supposed to come out? Liberty or Death is this year, Falling Sky next, and A Terrible Beauty, Pendragon, and now Colonial Twilight and the Cuba Libre expansion don't seem to have dates yet; plus there's a prototype of Iron Butterfly floating around somewhere.

- Players stay eligible for the next turn after action.
- No peeking at the future card.
- As far as I understand, the player order isn't printed on the cards, but depends on some game state stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Tash-Kalar and BGA I'm feeling smug as poo poo about the win I just pulled out. The whole game is ruthless back-and-forth with both of us summoning and thrashing each other mostly to a stalemate. He snags a one point objective and then manages to summon an early game Titan which wrecks a bunch of my stuff, but he's managing to keep things juuuuust balanced enough to prevent me from using my flare. I manage to grab the two point objective for having more pieces on an orthogonal line through the center tiles so we're tied up 2-2, only he has the legendary so he breaks ties.

Things briefly flip when I manage through good fortune to bring my Assassin out (it was Northern vs. Southern Imperial) and gank his Titan. I'm in the lead! Until he grabs the objective for having three+ pieces on green squares after summoning a Hell Bull and trampling the poo poo out of me, so now it's 4-2 in his favor. Things go down TO THE WIRE, the endgame has been triggered, and I have the second to last turn. I'm finally down low enough on pieces that I can flare, giving me one extra action...which is just enough to place a piece, summon the Master of Intrigue, rearrange my pieces, and bring in the Angel of Death which I'd been trying to summon the whole drat game and bring it crashing down on his Hell Bull. The game ends at 3 points apiece, but since I had the only remaining legendary piece on the board I pulled out the win.

A good game :smugwizard:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Dead of Winter for the first and only time tonight.

It was really bad. Super random, most of the time unavoidably so.

I'm unlikely to ever play it again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Played Historia tonight. Very fun game - tons of strategy with timing when resources regenerate, and the staggered turn endings make for some really fun push your luck scenarios where you can take the safe bet or gamble that an opponent won't play a certain card.

The first time we played, I went pure military and stomped everyone as techno-barbarians. My friends then decided that military was the way to win, so I went pacifist and stomped them with my astounding French utopian tourist paradise.

Lots of cool strategy, great incentives to swap paths mid-game, and something that's medium weight, but has a lot of strategic meat to sink your teeth into.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bubble-T posted:

I saw my local store finally got the CGE-only edition of Tash-Kalar in stock and they're still charging a hundred loving dollars for it.

gently caress Australian game prices.

Jesus christ. It's just 20 pounds (AU$40) over here.

I'm heading back to Australia in September and picking up as many board games as I can before doing so because they're like half the price.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I played Dead of Winter tonight as well, for the third time. It's still a bad game, but we had the right mix of people and scenario/crossroad cards and we actually had a great time with it. It's sad, because you can see the framework for a good game there, then it's covered in a bunch of crap that makes it pretty awful to ok most of the time. So far my first game was ok (all new players figuring out how it worked), second was miserable (we had a poo poo scenario and I had an impossible objective), and third was smooth and everyone was into the spirit and story of our characters. I can almost look past the bad design elements but I know each play is just a big crapshoot of quality. Maybe the next game in the Crossroads series will be much more refined (with a less cliche theme).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

Jesus christ. It's just 20 pounds (AU$40) over here.

I'm heading back to Australia in September and picking up as many board games as I can before doing so because they're like half the price.

It was on sale for ~US $20 a while back online. I think the currency weakening is hitting shops, everything's gone up by $10-20 lately, but $100 still seems insane for a new edition that's significantly cheaper than the old one everywhere else.

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe the next game in the Crossroads series will be much more refined (with a less cliche theme).

It'll still be a Plaid Hat game, so no. It'll be pretty and there'll be dice.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I keep wondering if DoW could be fixed with house rules but it sounds like it's too far gone in terms of unbalanced objectives etc. I bought it during the first wave of enthusiasm here, didn't get around to playing it, then the vibe changed and its sat on the shelf ever since. Every now and again I hear about a positive experience and I brace myself to give it a shot, but the word is so bad here I keep shying away.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutter Owl posted:

Feel like expanding? Are you against online playtesting, or VASSAL implementation in particular? I'm currently trying to figure out a way to rapid-prototype and rapid-iterate a game I'm screwing around with. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
lol "rapid"

Count put it very eloquently and kindly:

Countblanc posted:

From my experiences as BL's crying shoulder, I think it's more the actual creation of VASSAL mods being frustrating.
I have spent multiple nights bitching to this man about the massive pain in the rear end that is VASSAL mod construction. Sometimes it's just tedious (deck construction requiring you to individually define each card's function and front/back details without being able to save a template of any kind) and sometimes you get bizarre glitches that remove basic functionality for completely unexplained reasons. I often find myself lacking basic options until I copy-paste what I want from another module, despite there being literally no apparent difference in the source object and no documented way of unlocking the options manually. I spent 3 hours trying to fix a mysterious graphical glitch with the backs of a deck of cards only to realize the problem solved itself automatically by closing and reopening the program. VASSAL has on multiple occasions drained my entire motivation to work on projects. I'm drat near tempted to get a copy of Tabletop Simulator. Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Broken Loose posted:

(deck construction requiring you to individually define each card's function and front/back details without being able to save a template of any kind)

It's called a prototype, dude.