Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How do you guys feel about sort of ugly New Nintendo 3DS consoles?

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/02/dragon-ball-z-extreme-butoden-new-nintendo-3ds-bundle-announced-for-europe/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I honestly legitimately hope they do this. Have a universe full of weird-rear end goofy counterparts to all the characters, give them whoever the hell for Japanese voices I really don't care, and then have TFS dub them. :v:

e: a universe where Nappa was sent to Earth as a baby and raised by Grandpa Gohan instead of Goku. To differentiate him from OG evil Nappa, he's dubbed in English by Takahata101, and they let him improv. :getin:

I think an easier differentiation is that one is dead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is a series with time travel and resurrection, I don't think that's as huge of a deal as you seem to.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
To clarify on the universe chart last page - that's just for the one universe I believe, with the various layers of reality. Its based off various other sketches of a similar design, generally found in the Daizenshuu books. So you have the afterlife and such above the mortal world, but then the realm of the 'gods' (the Supreme Kais) orbits around all of it.

Though yes, if the other universe is goofy as hell, definitely need at least someone from the TFS cast involved. Though apparently they managed to get some bit parts in the new movie too, so they're definitely in contact with Funi.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who taught the Namekians how to make the Dragon Balls?

According to the old Kai, gods granted the namekian people the ability to create dragon balls because of their goodness.

That's neat, but I thought the 3DS couldn't emulate SNES games? :psyduck:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I honestly legitimately hope they do this. Have a universe full of weird-rear end goofy counterparts to all the characters, give them whoever the hell for Japanese voices I really don't care, and then have TFS dub them. :v:

Boku wa za haipu.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I always wonder if DBZA actually has nay Japanese fans. I know that Yugioh abridged had a fan following.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Petiso posted:

That's neat, but I thought the 3DS couldn't emulate SNES games? :psyduck:

From what I read in discussions elsewhere about this bundle thing, the SNES Butoden was bundled in some sort of Jump compilation of SNES ports for 3DS a while back. If so, this was probably just ripped from that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Squallege posted:

I like the idea of Beerus and Champ being part of a litter of Cat Gods

I want Champ to be the stereotypical rear end in a top hat cat. I want him to come to Earth and interrupt a party and idly knock someone's drink off the table, cough up a hairball on the floor and walk away, spray piss on the side of a building, and put a dead rodent in Vegeta's shoes.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

e X posted:

I always wonder if DBZA actually has nay Japanese fans. I know that Yugioh abridged had a fan following.

I heard or saw something about there being subs for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Szmitten posted:

Boku wa za haipu.

I'm willing to spring the trap; there's no way Vegeta would ever use "boku."

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The art of Dragonball vs the art of Jojo Part II: The Point of Panels

(crossposted from Jojo thread. Reminder: you can catch the previous installments by clicking the ? under my name or going here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/effort-series/)

What shape is this supposed to be?

This picture is supposed to make you see a triangle. How about this?

I'm assuming most (all?) of you were able to see a chair. You've seen a bunch of chair like this one before and millions of years of evolution have ensured that your brain is fine-tuned for pattern recognition. Fictional stories work the same way - you get some details and then use your prior experiences to interpret the details as a narrative.

So what's this?

Most will understand that this is a diagram of some sort because you've seen diagrams like the before, but will be unable to identify what this diagram is supposed to depict due to unfamiliarity with the subject in question. it's a small engine's carburetor

Just asking questions

If a comic's clarity describes how easy it is to understand a story's events, intensity describes how easy it is to feel a story's mood. All else being equal, heightening a comic's intensity comes at the expense of that comic's clarity. The most common way this happens is via panel transitions. I'll use a sequence from chapter 159 of Dragonball to demonstrate.

What's Yamcha doing here? We have the requisite cultural background to understand that this is the depiction of a concerned man from the shoulders up, but it's impossible to say where the character is or why.

This is the panel that immediately precedes the one we just saw. We've seen enough cockpits or depictions of cockpits to understand that we're looking at one. So Yamcha is piloting a plane.

We don't need to see the back of the plane's cabin behind Yamcha in this panel because we understand that this panel happens sequentially after the previous one, so Yamcha must still be in the plane. Now we have enough context for a narrative - Yamcha is flying a plane. He looks down as he wonders why his radar fizzed out.

In this shot we see that Bulma is behind Yamcha and it is once again clear that they're in a plane. The narrative becomes - Yamcha is flying a plane. He looks down as he wonders why his radar fizzed out. His attention is grabbed when Bulma shouts and points at something ahead. We have to make the inference that Bulma was actually here there entire time, just not in our view.

This is a totally different view than the one we had previously - we now see an airplane flying toward an explosion in the distance as well as speech bubbles. Because we've primed ourselves to look for patterns that form a narrative, we link this image with the ones that came before it in sequence. This is the plane that Yamcha is flying, only now we're seeing it from the outside. The speech bubbles must belong to either Yamcha or Bulma, and the story now goes: Yamcha is flying a plane. He looks down and wonders why his radar fizzed out. When Bulma shouts and points at something ahead, he looks up and realizes that the interference was caused by a massive explosion.

Every time we jump from one panel to another, we have to figure out what's going on in the new panel based on what we've already seen. If the new panel doesn't show much in the way of scenery, more effort on the part of the reader is required for it to be understood. It follows then that all else being equal, the fewer times the viewing angle changes and the smaller any changes to the viewing angle are, the clearer the comic's story will be. Imagine that instead of four panels, we just get one like this:

Don't laugh, this happens all the time in mainstream comics. This entire setup is more clear - we don't need to make as many assumptions (in fact it would be more clear if I were doing this at home instead of at work and had redone the "shouting" speech bubbles.)

So why use this

instead of this?

The first is more intense. But why? It has more tension. By tension I mean it raises a question that has an interesting answer. The more uncertain and interesting the possibilities, the greater the tension. Pretty much any narrative is going to implicitly raise the question "what happens next?" but an interesting narrative narrows that down to a few enticing possibilities. So here we have a story-within-a-story.

The greater narrative is that Goku is locked in a battle to the death with King Piccolo, with the tension resting on the question "Can Goku defeat Piccolo?" When we jump in here, King Piccolo just unleashed an incredible attack at Goku. We then cut to this scene. A question is raised, causing tension, "What is causing the instrument malfunction?" The resolution to that tension (Piccolo's attack caused the malfunction) sets up even greater tension than before: "If Goku was at the site of the explosion, is he still alive?" "If Yamcha and Bulma are headed in Piccolo's direction, are they in danger?" "If Piccolo can create such explosions, how can he be stopped?"

Now consider this panel:

Many of you will recognize it, but let's try to look at it with fresh eyes. To understand it you have to first try to figure out what exactly you're seeing here - it's two fists meeting at the knuckes. The spatters of white-out (probably supposed to be blood?) imply force, so it's two fists punching each other. We have to use our knowledge of the series to understand that this panel shows the fists of Star Platinum and The World punching each other. Showing this moment with such an extreme close-up is much more intense than showing the same moment with a wider view since this view shows a forceful collision, but we have to think harder just to understand that this is a collision in the first place, and devoid of context it's not particularly meaningful at all.

With the previous panel next to it (now forming the entire page), it becomes clear that Star Platinum and The World have punched each other with incredible force.

The entire sequence goes like this:

If you had been following the story, you would know that the greater narrative is that Jotaro is locked into a battle to the death with DIO, and the overall tension rests on "Can Jotaro defeat DIO?" In this set of panels a minature story-within-a-story also plays out. By showing the extreme close-up of the fists, the viewer starts to wonder "Will The World overpower Star Platinum?" The framing of the aftermath guides the viewer to DIO's injured hand and then to his reaction, raising the question "Has Jotaro dealt a definitive blow to DIO?" Once those are resolved, there's even greater tension as we wonder "If even that can't stop DIO, how will Jotaro manage to survive?" on top of the still unanswered question "Can Jotaro defeat DIO?"

Imagine if it had gone like this:

The story hasn't changed, but far less tension has built up. The literal sequence of events is clear, but the story is less intense.

Using these sorts of panel transitions to heighten suspense has some drawbacks. Every additional panel forces the reader to figure out how this view is related to the one they just saw using what they've read previously, and change in viewing distance or angle place an even higher burden on the reader. If you have an extreme close-up and you're relying on the reader to have picked up a cue four panels ago in order to understand what exactly is being shown, you run the risk that the reader didn't pick up that cue and isn't going to understand.

If the reader didn't realize that this is a chair: , they definitely won't realize that this is too: .

You will find that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure uses a huge number of extreme close-ups and drastic changes in viewing angle, while Dragonball tends to use more establishing and medium distance shots.

As a result, Jojo requires more effort to read, while with Dragonball you can jump to pretty much any page and quickly get the gist of what's going on.

More panels doesn't equal more intense:

Much complaining has been made about "decompression" in comics, like this famous example someone posted way way earlier in the thread:

It looks like western artists looked at manga and thought, hey, these Japanese comics sure have lots of panels where they don't do much! Japanese comics are popular. If we have lots of panels then our comics will be popular! Hooray!

But consider that in the panels from Dragonball a story-within-a-story is actually playing out.

Goku punched Piccolo really hard and he seems pretty hurt. Has Goku defeated Piccolo? No! Now he's close to Piccolo and has a broken leg -- he can't escape! Will he even be able to survive? How can Goku defeat Piccolo?

And think about these panels from Jojo:

DIO has stopped time and has dropped a steamroller (road roller?) on Jotaro - although from this set of panels it's not obvious that the object actually is a steamroller. The steamroller is getting closer and closer to crushing Jotaro and Jotaro is frozen by The World's time stop. Jotaro actually looks terrified! How can Jotaro escape from this attack? Is this the end?

Whereas this set:

Isn't really raising any questions at all. Except maybe "What is Wolverine going to say?" which doesn't seem to be a question attached to particularly high stakes.

To sum up, adding more panels increases a story's emotional intensity IF they are used to increase tension by raising and answering questions. But decompression for decompression's sake is dumb. Don't do it, bub.

Coming up eventually: setting, anatomy, and violence

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I forgot to say this in the JoJo thread, but I really like that Wolverine thing because of the delayed timing aspect of it. It's dumb in a good way.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I've always hated that skip a beat empty panel thing in comics. It's so overdone and such a bullshit cop out substitution for a real joke now.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
GUYS - loving episodes titles for 1 and 2 of DBS.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/02/dragon-ball-super-episodes-1-2-title-updates/

quote:

平和の報酬1億ゼニーは誰の手に!?
Heiwa no Hōshū Ichioku Zenī wa Dare no Te ni!?
Who Will the 100 Million Zenny Peace Reward Go To…?!

ベジータが家族旅行!?
Bejīta ga Kazoku Ryokō!?
Vegeta Goes on a Family Trip?!

It's official - Episode 2 is going to rule so much.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay my faith in Super is restored now that I know episode 2's title.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Toei, please let catch a full preview episode 2 online already, thank you very much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I'm willing to spring the trap; there's no way Vegeta would ever use "boku."

I know nothing of Japanese pronouns, I'm just lazy and use boku for everything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Bold to start the new series presumably without them punching anybody of consequence for 2 episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Szmitten posted:

I know nothing of Japanese pronouns, I'm just lazy and use boku for everything.

I used "boku" for a long time and still do, but after interacting with Japanese people close to my age, I started using 'ore' more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just skip to episode 2.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Are we getting a "Are We There Yet" routine with Trunks, Bra and Vegeta? That'd be the greatest thing I can ever imagine.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
supers sounds like it is set before Bra still.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Some Numbers posted:

I used "boku" for a long time and still do, but after interacting with Japanese people close to my age, I started using 'ore' more.

Is this true? I thought only comically dramatic dudes would use 'ore.' Like, it's almost exclusively a pronoun used by shounen characters. At least that's what my Japanese professor led me to believe.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

"Are we there yet?"

"Ask that one more time and I'll drive the car off a cliff again."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'd be pretty fantastic if Vegeta was actually a good driver.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

I bet Bulma drives and he whines the whole time

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Guys what if it's a family vacation but in SPACE?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

vegeta probably knows how to fly spaceships, how difficult could a capsule car or plane be in comparison

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

setafd posted:

vegeta probably knows how to fly spaceships, how difficult could a capsule car or plane be in comparison

he doesn't even fly the spaceships he just inputs coordinates and they do all the work

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

setafd posted:

"Woman, where is the autopilot button?!"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Reinanigans posted:

Is this true? I thought only comically dramatic dudes would use 'ore.' Like, it's almost exclusively a pronoun used by shounen characters. At least that's what my Japanese professor led me to believe.

Goku uses "ore" and gets smacked for it plenty in DB.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

My college had a program where 20ish Japanese freshman would come over for about 6 months to take classes in English. Being a student of Japanese, I spent a fair amount of time interacting with these Japanese students and yes, actual, real Japanese males use 'ore,' all the drat time. In fact, I asked one of them point blank "which pronoun do you use, boku, ore or watashi" and he said "all of them, depending on circumstances."

Rudoku posted:

Goku uses "ore" and gets smacked for it plenty in DB.
Technically, Goku uses "ora," which I believe is a rougher, more rural, less refined dialect.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Some Numbers posted:

My college had a program where 20ish Japanese freshman would come over for about 6 months to take classes in English. Being a student of Japanese, I spent a fair amount of time interacting with these Japanese students and yes, actual, real Japanese males use 'ore,' all the drat time. In fact, I asked one of them point blank "which pronoun do you use, boku, ore or watashi" and he said "all of them, depending on circumstances."

Technically, Goku uses "ora," which I believe is a rougher, more rural, less refined dialect.

Thanks for the info! Now, the truly important question, which one of your friends was a bad enough dude to identify themselves in the third person and add "-sama?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Thanks for the info! Now, the truly important question, which one of your friends was a bad enough dude to identify themselves in the third person and add "-sama?"

I haven't met a Japanese person who used honorifics on themselves.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Here's the synopsis for episode 2:

The Prince of the Saiyans Vegeta’s Family Time!
Vegeta goes out with Bulma and Trunks to a resort area! Bulma and Trunks are very happy with this unexpected family time together! But even as he’s doing this, Vegeta is bothered that Goku is off training?!

Goku This Week
Training on Planet Kaiō!
Training under Planet Kaiō’s 10 times gravity is perfect! In spite of the nuisance to Kaiō, Goku starts his training, but what is his surprising training method?!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Beef Chief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40ChcYf0n8

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:allears: Oh Veggie, can't go a day without thinking about Kakarot getting stronger.

Also spotted these on 4chan, character art for all the Dragon Ball Heroes player avatars, including the new Kai ones:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Darko posted:

Here's the synopsis for episode 2:

The Prince of the Saiyans Vegeta’s Family Time!
Vegeta goes out with Bulma and Trunks to a resort area! Bulma and Trunks are very happy with this unexpected family time together! But even as he’s doing this, Vegeta is bothered that Goku is off training?!

Goku This Week
Training on Planet Kaiō!
Training under Planet Kaiō’s 10 times gravity is perfect! In spite of the nuisance to Kaiō, Goku starts his training, but what is his surprising training method?!

gently caress, DBS is going to rule so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I really dig that black Saiyan armor. Where the gently caress were these designs for Xenoverse?!

• Locked thread