Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Cell Phone at work chat:
Use Pushbullet. It's a Chrome app that ties into your phone. I keep my phone in my desk and can text from my computer. I've liked it since I can get all my notifications in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: My offsite location dumped us, today is the last day :yotj:

No more 4 hours in the car every week. No more last minute requests for loving everything. No poo poo-tier facility wide wifi or setting up equipment on it that they got at the store without asking me about feasibility. No more having to explain a site-wide problem to every single person here even though there's only like 15 of them and most share a wall.

At least they did keep weirdo residents off my back. One retiree living here wanted my number so she could call day or night when she needed something. The example she gave to make this sound reasonable, I poo poo you not -- "but what if I need help and it's midnight?". Keeping in mind, we're only here as a favor once a week to the main client and they pay the client less than what a minimum wage worker would. I didn't even know she existed until like 2 weeks ago. File this under poo poo that would have pissed me off and made me resign.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Getting a lot of hate in here but that seems pretty typical of the type of ppl who post in this thread so I'll just roll with it...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Belial42 posted:

Cell Phone at work chat:
Use Pushbullet. It's a Chrome app that ties into your phone. I keep my phone in my desk and can text from my computer. I've liked it since I can get all my notifications in one place.

I have a Mac and and iPhone so... :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Motorola has a Chrome extension that sends texts to the computer too, it's p sweet.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Mac and and iPhone so... :smug:

I phoned one of the C-Suite using my Mac (completely not realising that he was in the building) and when he walked into my office he genuinely thought it was witchcraft.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A3th3r posted:

Getting a lot of hate in here but that seems pretty typical of the type of ppl who post in this thread so I'll just roll with it...

I mean I dont know what you expect? You don't want to pay high enough wages to get good employees and then you complain about the quality of the employees you can get with what you're paying. So I guess just decide on one, pay enough for good workers or hire some cheap mouth breathers.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

A3th3r posted:

What and where are you hiring? What's your range? You're catching hate because you sound like a stereotypical exec who acts like employees should be grateful for having a job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Raerlynn posted:

What and where are you hiring? What's your range? You're catching hate because you sound like a stereotypical exec who acts like employees should be grateful for having a job.

Ditto.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I mean I dont know what you expect? You don't want to pay high enough wages to get good employees and then you complain about the quality of the employees you can get with what you're paying. So I guess just decide on one, pay enough for good workers or hire some cheap mouth breathers.

not to mention he is posting on Something Awful Dot Com at work

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

"You get what you pay for" applies just as much to labor as it does to any other product or service.

If a company can't "afford" to pay something close to market rate for a position, then either they just don't want to because they're prioritizing short-term profits over the long-term health of the company, or they literally can't afford it because they are having cash flow issues and are in serious financial trouble. Either way, it's not a good sign.

When they fired my helpdesk guy for being barely able to breathe, they started hiring about a week in advance until the CFO put the kibosh to see if the volume merited a re-hire. After a month of me tracking all the people who never opened tickets, and two weeks of my boss and HR making the case, he gave the go-ahead to hire a part-timer with minimal experience.

They've been looking for about four weeks now.

I have been active on Dice for about six weeks now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That's the story of the world these days, isn't it. "We need to save money by firing the helpdesk guy." *ends up losing the sysadmin too*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dell's website is such dogshit. Do they have 12 year-olds designing it or something?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
One of our resellers is all over the place.

I have sent them Dell configurations for servers, and their quote comes back higher than the quoted price from Dell's website I sent them. I just got a quote for some support renewals. Some items are higher than the published list price by like 40%, and some are at a normal 30% discount.

I think I'll just end this relationship.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Lawyer didn't see anything in my employment/confidentiality agreement to bar me from applying to a client. Already spoke with the recruiter and they are lining up an interview. :yotj:

A3th3r posted:

Have you read your own posts?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I paid enough for ground beef, but I wanted prime rib drat it!

This really isn't meant to be at anyone in this thread, but I don't get why businesspeople think wages are some weird dimension where quality doesn't scale with price. They'll do it all day with their own goods and services, but they seem to think they can get a BMW for the price of a Corolla when it comes to workers. They also don't consider externalities with turnover and think they can keep churning workers and that it doesn't affect quality or deliverables. I.T is a force multiplier, it's important that it work correctly and efficiently, it isn't just a line item that Satan put on your balance sheet to prevent you from getting a slightly bigger bonus.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I paid enough for ground beef, but I wanted prime rib drat it!

This really isn't meant to be at anyone in this thread, but I don't get why businesspeople think wages are some weird dimension where quality doesn't scale with price. They'll do it all day with their own goods and services, but they seem to think they can get a BMW for the price of a Corolla when it comes to workers. They also don't consider externalities with turnover and think they can keep churning workers and that it doesn't affect quality or deliverables. I.T is a force multiplier, it's important that it work correctly and efficiently, it isn't just a line item that Satan put on your balance sheet to prevent you from getting a slightly bigger bonus.

One thing I tried to beat into my employers head is that every company is an IT company. Don't believe me? Allow me to unplug the core router for a few. Unless you are so old and crusty in your stylings that you can still work paper only? You just got hosed.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Theres probably 40 examples in my office alone where staff are doing good work for less-than-good pay.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Things pissing me off? Vendor training. One of the goals that I was given was to complete a vendors training course and take their certification test. Only problem is that all of the training is a glorified power point presentation narrated by a computer generated voice that is meant to sound human.

Their old training was bad enough when it was the same set up, but an actual human read out the information at least.

It will also mess up a sentence and transpose a few words just enough that you have no loving idea what it said.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

antisodachrist posted:

Things pissing me off? Vendor training. One of the goals that I was given was to complete a vendors training course and take their certification test. Only problem is that all of the training is a glorified power point presentation narrated by a computer generated voice that is meant to sound human.

Their old training was bad enough when it was the same set up, but an actual human read out the information at least.

It will also mess up a sentence and transpose a few words just enough that you have no loving idea what it said.

Is it emc? Their business certs are incredibly boring but really brain dead easy.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Is it emc? Their business certs are incredibly boring but really brain dead easy.

Nope, MobileIron

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Swink posted:

Theres probably 40 examples in my office alone where staff are doing good work for less-than-good pay.

My main site loses anybody worth a drat in the lab because the techs all go to someone paying at least the loving market rate after a time.

So now you have stuff not getting done because of the backlog, by people who aren't good or ambitious enough to go elsewhere, and then you still have to hire people to fill the position anyway, which isn't free. :downsbravo: I gud busyness thing

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Dell's website is such dogshit. Do they have 12 year-olds designing it or something?

There are literally no competent people at Dell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CEO of my company just sent out an email asking everyone in the company a question intended for one person.

How do I sended email? How is computer formed?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just got some Fujitsus in

That's the ethernet port. It pulls out and flips upwards and is super flimsy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I hate that poo poo. I'm totally OK with my laptop being as thick as an Ethernet port, thanks.

Mine folds down, and is next to impossible to use without putting the laptop on its side.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hahaha, time to start stock piling on these. http://amzn.com/B00BBD7NFU

mewse
May 2, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Technology!! We mak technology good

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Moey posted:

Hahaha, time to start stock piling on these. http://amzn.com/B00BBD7NFU

we use these for our surfaces and they work pretty well

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bitterandtwisted posted:

One of my friends had a laptop that had something like that, except it was a mouse you could hold on to and move around. It was really bizarre and almost broken with in minutes.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
My boss just suggested that, in order to get better performance out of our lab machines (4th-generation i5s with 8GB of RAM), we might consider downgrading from the 64-bit version of Windows 7 to 32-bit.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My boss just suggested that, in order to get better performance out of our lab machines (4th-generation i5s with 8GB of RAM), we might consider downgrading from the 64-bit version of Windows 7 to 32-bit.

Kill him and steal his power, what little there is.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Kill him and steal his power, what little there is.

Sounds like that would just make him lose intelligence.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just imagine how much extra performance you could get out of XP or OS2 warp!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just imagine how much extra performance you could get out of XP or OS2 warp!

BeOS? :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off

Part of my job is working with customers SA's to teach them how to manage/install our software. This one bank will only let me talk to them over ticket notes, so I have to open a ticket with instructions, they copy and paste them, and when they fail, they just note the ticket the next day. Everything takes forever and they have no intuition on how to fix problems. Today:

My ticket:

Install software with the following commands

1) cp PACKAGE.rpm from /var/tmp to /home/USER
2) Install package with rpm -Uvh /home/USER/PACKAGE.rpm

They responded with:

Instructions didn't work, see output:

user@server:$ 1) cp PACKAGE.rpm from /var/tmp to /home/USER
command 1) not found

Waiting for response from client administrator.

I almost crapped my pants when I read it.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

When you're working with people who are not good at things, you have to be specific. eg:

• Run command to copy package...
    code:
    cp /var/tmp/package.rpm ~
  • Install package
    code:
    rpm -Uvh ~/package.rpm

I always put commands on a separate line, and normally even format them with consolas so people associate that text with the command. You just have to be careful because some e-mail clients (outlook) will gently caress up your single/double quotes.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pissing me off

Part of my job is working with customers SA's to teach them how to manage/install our software. This one bank will only let me talk to them over ticket notes, so I have to open a ticket with instructions, they copy and paste them, and when they fail, they just note the ticket the next day. Everything takes forever and they have no intuition on how to fix problems. Today:

My ticket:

They responded with:

command 1) not found

It sounds like you have great job security!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pissing me off

My ticket:

They responded with:

command 1) not found

To be fair, your wording is inaccurate, esp when you know you're dealing with a layman.

This: "Install software with the following commands" implies that the text that follows is a series of commands.
So they don't think and copy/paste.

But I do get it, SA's should know what is being asked of them. That is linux 101 type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

That's the story of the world these days, isn't it. "We need to save money by firing the helpdesk guy." *ends up losing the sysadmin too*

The worst part, this place has a halfway decent company culture.

We had a company logo contest. We're a produce truck brokerage, matchmaking loads from 50,000+ truckers to 5-7 grocery store chains. I submitted "Movet cibum, movet gentum" ("who moves the food, moves the nation") and they liked it enough to give me a $100 Amex gift card. Plus I won the little Independence Day history quiz thing, a $50 Target gift card.

They handed out squirt guns and told us to have at it.

It's always OK to walk up and down the aisles cursing.

They gave the OK for work-appropriate shorts on Fridays until mid-September.

I have a really good rapport with my boss.

It's just that they make penny-pinchers look like Newman's Own over here.

In my semi-weekly meeting with the boss I basically threw down the gauntlet. I am so depleted of fucks and he was all "you have downtime to study for certs, don't you?" when I was telling him about all the walk-ups who never submit tickets, even after being badgered, I told him that if the hiring went on any longer I would need to start having a discussion about an adjustment to my salary given how long this has gone. He understood, told me they had more candidates coming in, and I shrugged.