Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
The Finals of the GFA competition are live streaming here: (edit: stupid dead link that didn't work. Will work on finding a work in one on my phone.)

Arguably the biggest, most competitive classical guitar competition. So far the players are actually making interesting musical decisions AND mistakes! Much more interesting than last year.

firebad57 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Um that sounds pretty cool but that url does nothing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

How can I get the brown sound out of my SL5 without buying that crazy expensive wampler pedal? Boost? Drive? I figured Tubescreamer but I can't find any simple a/b with a driven Marshall sound to see what the actual difference is

Run it through a larger cab to push the power section.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm really enjoying diving into some bossa nova basics. The slow tempo keeps it from getting too overwhelming and I needed something to drag me out of just using basic barres for everything, so this works perfectly.

Plus it's hard to be in a bad mood while playing this stuff.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You will be when you keep forgetting the 52nd chord in the first verse

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

baka kaba posted:

You will be when you keep forgetting the 52nd chord in the first verse

Haha yeah. The one practice piece I was trying to get down last night had 13 distinct voicings in the intro. Out of which I only recognized 1 chord from the shorthand and had to look the rest up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hello friends. So years ago I learned Cliffs of Dover, but I stopped playing for a while. I'm starting to get it back, and while I can finger everything right, my playing isn't quite back up to speed.

Are there any songs with some complex fingering (like the intro/solos of Cliffs of Dover, for example), but that are played a bit slower? I like to sound impressive but at the moment that speed's just slightly out of reach.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Just discovered the weirdest thing on the FG335ii acoustic guitar I just bought. I shined a flashlight in the guitar, because I was going to adjust the truss rod, when I noticed a wire. A wire probably could only mean one thing, so I looked at the bottom straplock which seemed large. Yes, it was an input jack. Apparently someone modified this, there is some kind of pickup mounted in the guitar. I am not sure what the hell it is, but it plays when going through my amp.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Most of mine are set up like that with a K&K Pure Western pickup glued to the underside of the top. It's passive, so no controls or preamp, just a jack at the bottom strap button.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gorgar posted:

Most of mine are set up like that with a K&K Pure Western pickup glued to the underside of the top. It's passive, so no controls or preamp, just a jack at the bottom strap button.

Yeah, I looked at pictures and you are dead on. I am not sure who makes mine, but I guess for free I can't complain.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ignore me I misunderstood :lol:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 30, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Thumbtacks posted:

Hello friends. So years ago I learned Cliffs of Dover, but I stopped playing for a while. I'm starting to get it back, and while I can finger everything right, my playing isn't quite back up to speed.

Are there any songs with some complex fingering (like the intro/solos of Cliffs of Dover, for example), but that are played a bit slower? I like to sound impressive but at the moment that speed's just slightly out of reach.

http://www.youtubeslow.com/watch?v=aiRn3Zlw3Rw&fq=70&fq2=5

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I've kind of let my acoustic skills degrade and I just picked it back up again. I think I'd like to do some cool fingerpicking (like Classical Gas) but want to get my chops up first. Any recommended resources?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

unlawfulsoup posted:

Just discovered the weirdest thing on the FG335ii acoustic guitar I just bought. I shined a flashlight in the guitar, because I was going to adjust the truss rod, when I noticed a wire. A wire probably could only mean one thing, so I looked at the bottom straplock which seemed large. Yes, it was an input jack. Apparently someone modified this, there is some kind of pickup mounted in the guitar. I am not sure what the hell it is, but it plays when going through my amp.

Tap the bridge saddles when plugged in. If there's a massive clunk it's probably a piezo. If the clunk is the same as when you tap the body it's probably a body sensor. Not sure I'd want one without a volume control but congrats on having a giggable acoustic anyway.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

darkwasthenight posted:

Tap the bridge saddles when plugged in. If there's a massive clunk it's probably a piezo. If the clunk is the same as when you tap the body it's probably a body sensor. Not sure I'd want one without a volume control but congrats on having a giggable acoustic anyway.

There is no clunk, I am thinking passive pickup. Generally speaking I have to boost the gain up for it to get loud, but it sounds surprisingly good when I fool about with the EQ settings on my Mustang. I am using Martin SP Phosphour bronze strings, maybe not the best for a passive pickup, but they do function. Either way, I got this Yamaha as a beater guitar, so I could care less about gigging with it. If I was going to go the gigging route I would probably get the EXP pedal for my amp and use that as a volume pedal, that or get the Taylor I have always wanted. D:

I am just kind of amused that my $80 30 year old guitar is an acoustic-electric. :haw:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
drat it, I happened to see a Gretsch Jim Dandy at the store today; and now I'm considering grabbing one. It was so cheap, it looks cool, and I thought it had a neat sound.

But on the other hand I have way too many cheap guitars already, and I'd probably fall out of love with it in a few week just like all the others. :cripes:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Thumbtacks posted:

Necrophagist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50vL1uAXn7s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So the Mustang is done, sort of!
It's now all wired up, set up and working and it's a loving monster, which is good because that was always the plan for this phase of its life :)

I had to pick the guitar up early so the finish isn't 'done' but I can't lie, I love it like it is, I dunno, opinions?

It turns out the body is walnut which no one was expecting really.

Pickups now wired in are putting out about 18k each and they are a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge and a Jackson (lol) in the neck - both were chosen just to see what would happen mainly.

What has happened is something magical.

It sounds gooooooood!

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

So the Mustang is done, sort of!
It's now all wired up, set up and working and it's a loving monster, which is good because that was always the plan for this phase of its life :)

I had to pick the guitar up early so the finish isn't 'done' but I can't lie, I love it like it is, I dunno, opinions?

It turns out the body is walnut which no one was expecting really.

Pickups now wired in are putting out about 18k each and they are a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge and a Jackson (lol) in the neck - both were chosen just to see what would happen mainly.

What has happened is something magical.

It sounds gooooooood!

What's the plan for the finish? I think it looks amazing as is.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

firebad57 posted:

What's the plan for the finish? I think it looks amazing as is.

I didn't have any plans and the luthier dude said he'd flatten it off (it was a poo poo job honestly before) and 'see what happens' - and that happened ha ha.
I dig it, I think after a few weeks it'll settle into a nice finish, he wants to do it 'properly' but I like the little guy as it is as well, it suits the whole build and idea behind it somehow.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I like how that looks, I'd basically just get a protective coating on there and let it go.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll end up doing nothing probably for now, just see what happens, I'd like the sanded down bits to dull a bit as I'm not a fan of the fake roadworn look usually (even tough this was unintentional).
It's a blast to play though, so light.
A 50 year old little bruiser, I love it!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

TopherCStone posted:

I've kind of let my acoustic skills degrade and I just picked it back up again. I think I'd like to do some cool fingerpicking (like Classical Gas) but want to get my chops up first. Any recommended resources?

http://www.classtab.org/

This is classical, not fingerpicking per se, but it will build skill for sure. If you want sheet music instead of tab try http://imslp.org/ ; again, more classical than fingerpicking.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How psychological is the difference in sound between a es355 and a solid body, assuming no sperg?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
a little

the big difference with semi hollows is they're more prone to feedback with high gain and volume

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Gilgameshback posted:

http://www.classtab.org/

This is classical, not fingerpicking per se, but it will build skill for sure. If you want sheet music instead of tab try http://imslp.org/ ; again, more classical than fingerpicking.

Thanks! It's great that they have them ranked by difficulty and some have accompanying videos.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

How psychological is the difference in sound between a es355 and a solid body, assuming no sperg?

Just using a valve amp to overdrive the 355 sounds 'woodier' and a bit rounder / fuller than a solid body in my experience - depends on the solid body you are comparing it to I guess though.
The 355 has a solid block of wood running through the middle of the body and the hollow bits are like wings that you can see into under the F holes, this is to help with feedback.

Unless you're playing metal feedback shouldn't be an issue to be honest, and even then not always.
When you have enough distortion to make one feed back it pretty much sounds like a solid body anyway :v:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 2, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

It's... beautiful...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

It's... beautiful...

RIP in peace :canada:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

It's... beautiful...

This is the face he made immediately after taking advantage of that poor mentally challenged girl.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Courtney Love?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

Courtney Love?

:drat:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Courtney Love?

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh god, I did that thing didn't I?
:negative:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GFS is having another sale. There's an 8% off ANY PICKUPS coupon that comes right on the heels of me ordering a pair of the vintage extra hot humbuckers for something but ehhh the pickups are honestly so cheap it would only have saved me like $6 so no huge loss.

I obviously don't expect them to give me ~the brown sound~ like it advertises because I'm not doing bad things to a JCM or 5150, but they seem to be about the right output level for what I want, have adjustable pole pieces, and I can get them in ~zebra~.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, so 'kind of, but not as much as an archtop jazzbox'. In the meantime this is the solidbody I was speaking of. I have a further question, what strap would match this 80's baby:

EDIT: Also holy poo poo I was wondering what the dials were on the back of the tuners and then I realised they were locking tuners and oh my god I've never actually changed the strings on this thing, for over a year!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That's awesome.
Spandex strap? Is it possible?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

That's awesome.
Spandex strap? Is it possible?

You must not have seen the new Mad Max