Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This movie felt oddly like I was watching a television sitcom throughout. It's like, once all the menace and suspense is removed from the concept, all you get is a weird buddy comedy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I wasn't quite old enough to see T2 in theatres so by the time I saw it everyone knew Arnold was the good guy. Its a really cool experience to go back and re-watch it with that ambiguity in mind, the opening act is absolutely structured so that when they come face to face in that hallway you don't know what's going to happen. The T-1000 uses a lot more neutral and even borderline friendly facial expressions up to that point. Sure, there's something "off" about him but the audience already knows from the previous movie that Arnold is a Terminator, so by default this guy has to be in the Reese role. Its a great set-up that was totally wasted.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ruby idiot railed posted:

Unfortunately that was also revealed straight up in the advertising.

Oh, for sure. I was just comparing them. By the time I saw T2 I clearly knew Arnold was the good guy, too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is an old news observation but it's totally blowing my mind:

The moral of every terminator movie is that humans are bound to destiny and no matter what will always do what they were always going to do, sarah will always fall in love with reese no matter how they meet or who they are, john will always be the hero of the future no matter how he's raised, nature is all that matters to human, nurture is irrelevant.

while robots are totally free and can change and adapt if given the right circumstances. They are all born killers but if you say enough 90s phrases at them or make them a dad they can change who they are and become good people. They all have the same nature but nurture can change the outcome for machines.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is an old news observation but it's totally blowing my mind:

The moral of every terminator movie is that humans are bound to destiny and no matter what will always do what they were always going to do, sarah will always fall in love with reese no matter how they meet or who they are, john will always be the hero of the future no matter how he's raised, nature is all that matters to human, nurture is irrelevant.

while robots are totally free and can change and adapt if given the right circumstances. They are all born killers but if you say enough 90s phrases at them or make them a dad they can change who they are and become good people. They all have the same nature but nurture can change the outcome for machines.

Depends. T2 says that if humans can make a machine that does that, then eventually there's probably hope for humans as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruby idiot railed posted:

Unfortunately that was also revealed straight up in the advertising.
It's pretty par for the course with the trailers for Terminator movies. Salvation's trailers straight-up spoiled the twist that Marcus Wright is a cyborg.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I got my friend to watch T2 when she had no idea that Arnie was the good guy. She was pissed off at the cop being way too reckless to stop the Terminator until she figured it out. It's a lot of fun watching it with someone who has no idea.

She also didn't know about the chest-bursting scene in Alien, so she must be immune to spoilers.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My son is 7 right now, it's a constant battle between scaring the poo poo out of him by showing him T1 and T2 back to back vs. having him find out Arnie is the good guy in T2.
I'd probably bite the bullet but he started crying at the beginning of Days of Future Past, so I'm going to have to wait.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I had Terminator action figures around that time, but I'm pretty hosed up. Hope this helps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

My son is 7 right now, it's a constant battle between scaring the poo poo out of him by showing him T1 and T2 back to back vs. having him find out Arnie is the good guy in T2.
I'd probably bite the bullet but he started crying at the beginning of Days of Future Past, so I'm going to have to wait.

I'm not that surprised a 7 year old would be upset by some of the Sentinel scenes in Days of Future Past, its pretty brutal. Maybe not quite as bad as Arnold standing over a woman and shooting her multiple times in the back but still.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not that surprised a 7 year old would be upset by some of the Sentinel scenes in Days of Future Past, its pretty brutal. Maybe not quite as bad as Arnold standing over a woman and shooting her multiple times in the back but still.

I saw and loved (and was scared shitless by) Alien at 8 years old, so I'm pretty hosed up when it comes to movies and what's appropriate when. The sentinel scene was fairly intense and that's completely normal that he was upset by it, but had he been okay with it I'd probably been more likely to try T1 and 2 at an earlier age.

We watched Guardians of the Galaxy this past weekend and he was completely cool with it, so I'll just have to keep trying.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe you can find the tv version of the movie or something?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Firstborn posted:

Maybe you can find the tv version of the movie or something?

Yeah, I was gonna say "wait for it to come on TV and DVR it" but then I remembered they don't really edit movies for TV anymore. Or at least not for the channels most likely to show The Terminator, and not for the things that make it most objectionable in this instance.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Bloody dismemberment and murder, okay. No tits or people loving though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wade Wilson posted:

Bloody dismemberment and murder, okay. No tits or people loving though.

Linda Hamilton's may have been the first tits I saw on screen.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Maybe you can find the tv iversion of the movie or something?

I'm wondering if it's less the violence than the atmosphere. The Terminator films share a similar element with Days Of Future Past , the very dour depiction of humanity living in it's last days. That stuff can be kinda heady for a kid.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When I was a lad of like 8 or so, and T2 was my favorite film, I remember thinking that T1 was pretty boring and fast forwarding through most of it just so I could get to the action scenes.

This includes fast forwarding through Linda Hamiltons tits. No I don't know why the hell I would do that (it's because it wasn't Arnie shooting guns)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Young Freud posted:

I'm wondering if it's less the violence than the atmosphere. The Terminator films share a similar element with Days Of Future Past , the very dour depiction of humanity living in it's last days. That stuff can be kinda heady for a kid.

As a child I had a high tolerance for the future being a place where you eat garbage or nutrient paste and fight aliens and robots.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

For me the tone of Terminator would be much much different if not for the two scenes of Arnold mercilessly gunning down two innocent women. Those scenes are disturbing by any standard, I imagine even more so for a kid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The worst scene in T1 for young me was the death of Sarah's flat mate and her boyfriend, too. The 80s were an awful time for characters who were friends with the protagonist. I mean, being a friend to a movie's protagonist will likely get you killed even today, but it'll be a boring, going-through-the-motions-because-everyone-knows-the-drill kind of death.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Grendels Dad posted:

The worst scene in T1 for young me was the death of Sarah's flat mate and her boyfriend, too. The 80s were an awful time for characters who were friends with the protagonist. I mean, being a friend to a movie's protagonist will likely get you killed even today, but it'll be a boring, going-through-the-motions-because-everyone-knows-the-drill kind of death.

Were post-sex horror movie deaths cliche back then? Because I figured that was the intent with that one.

But yeah, that was easily the most disturbing death in T1 the first time I saw it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's funny that people complained about Salvation because touching a robot should instantly kill you or whatever, when the boyfriend in that scene gets in a lengthy fight and tossed around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wonder why it's so hard to rehash, sequelize and even remake some of these films? The Alien, Predator, Terminator, Jurassic and RoboCop franchises are ripe with stories and offer really rich worlds in which to tell stories. It's not like a Jaws or King Kong sequel or something where you have to have a new excuse to have another shark all of a sudden or resurrect a 50 foot tall ape.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So what's the consensus? Worth a matinee?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I saw it at a matinee for 10.75 3D and it was worth it.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So what's the consensus? Worth a matinee?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but this is like an insane great work of trash and it's delightfully weird. It's like the most creative way you could possibly be a soulless rehash. There's a chunk that's a near shot-for-shot remake of The Terminator, and is basically like the most literal way you could possibly rehash yourself, and somehow that makes it work for me. It's no T1 or T2 but I'd give it a shot. It's so bizarre.

Honestly this may be the peak of mid-2010's soulless-remake-blockbusters just in how direct it is.

edit: I'm not gonna champion it as some kind of great work, but I think it's a lot more interesting than people are giving it credit for.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah sounds like it might be a good time. I still think that "John Conner" in this film looks like Dr Steve Brule though and I can't get it out of my head.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No joke, it actually is an incredibly surreal fuckin movie. There's so much shape-changing, and the effects are fantastic.

Unlike certain other films released this year, it's very well shot and edited. And it's perfectly self-contained; instead of functioning like a feature-length trailer, they simply include enough unresolved issues to make it quite dark. It's like a more downbeat version of Star Trek 2009.

Is there any subtext?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

I wonder why it's so hard to rehash, sequelize and even remake some of these films? The Alien, Predator, Terminator, Jurassic and RoboCop franchises are ripe with stories and offer really rich worlds in which to tell stories. It's not like a Jaws or King Kong sequel or something where you have to have a new excuse to have another shark all of a sudden or resurrect a 50 foot tall ape.

Because they have a rabid fan base and they think that it's better to titillate their nostalgic senses by showing them poo poo they remember.
(They're right, but also wrong and bad.)

They don't have the balls to do something completely different. And I mean COMPLETELY different. Terminator Salvation was on the right track, but they ended up making the film about John Connor which really hosed it over. It's not as interesting as having someone we haven't seen just yet. I mean, I gotta say it, but look at Christopher Nolan. No one wanted another Batman movie in 2005 except for fanboys, but Nolan came in and changed the game in a way us non comic book fans just went "Oh, wow! This is new!" It's baffling at this point that someone makes a Predator reboot set on a different planet, with a new set of characters, yet still has the main character cover himself in mud and yell "COME ON! DO IT! KILL ME I'M HERE KILL ME!!!"

:cmon:

If Terminator G would kept all the callbacks contained in the first 15 minutes, I would've enjoyed it. But after that, it completely lost me and didn't do anything I haven't seen before. I've already seen Sarah Connor and a Reese brother go forward in time, I've already seen them gently caress around with the idea that Skynet is being made Dyson's kid. I've already seen a T-1000. I've seen Terminators fighting. It felt like a jumbled mess of things I have seen before and goddamn that was heartbreaking because despite going in expecting to hate it, I was hoping for at least one thing I could say was new. (I suppose the John Connor thing was new, but the trailers and posters hosed that up so.) At least Jurassic World had Chris Pratt training raptors to fight dinosaurs. That was something I hadn't seen before in that series.

Sorry, I like my reboots of franchises I like to do something new. I get excited with new.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just got back from it, thought it was way better than expected and a decent way of rebooting the franchise.
Of course from what I gather terminator 2 never happening in this timeline which is a shame.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz2k21 posted:

Just got back from it, thought it was way better than expected and a decent way of rebooting the franchise.
Of course from what I gather terminator 2 never happening in this timeline which is a shame.

T2 instead becomes a hit film inspired by the events of Genesys.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Commentary in spoilers for those who haven't seen it.

In short I liked it overall. What seems odd to be follows. I got the feeling that 1970s lake incident was supposed to be a bigger scene in the movie but was cut for time. I'm guessing we'll get more in a directors cut, and it may or may not establish the T-1000 as a more serious threat as a stand alone rather than relying on you to remember how dangerous one is via Terminator 2 nostalgia. I could very much be wrong though. I'm assuming that lake T-1000 was the same as 1984 T-1000. Also buff Kyle Reese really doesn't look or act like he's suffering PTSD from the war nearly as badly as the original. . I hope the sequels just give us increasingly convilutated reasons why old Arnold needs to fight his 1984 T-800 over and over again.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 2, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DetoxP posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but this is like an insane great work of trash and it's delightfully weird. It's like the most creative way you could possibly be a soulless rehash. There's a chunk that's a near shot-for-shot remake of The Terminator, and is basically like the most literal way you could possibly rehash yourself, and somehow that makes it work for me. It's no T1 or T2 but I'd give it a shot. It's so bizarre.

Honestly this may be the peak of mid-2010's soulless-remake-blockbusters just in how direct it is.

It's really a soulful rehash. Instead of merely replicating the last films with a veneer of irony, as in Terminator 3 or Jurassic World, Genisys says that's all over: the first two Terminator films said all they had to say, and it's time to move on.

This is a movie that's critical of James Cameron's films. And I mean that in the sense that they are engaging in criticism, looking at the positives and negatives. That's why you have the basic 'twist' that Connor is the bad guy - not because he 'turned evil' but because there was always that evil lurking within him. Like, ok, he kills Skynet. But what are his plans after that? This film shows him trying to recruit Kyle and Sarah, for a mission to absorb everyone into the singularity. 'John Connor trying to save humanity' is now a threat.

CelticPredator posted:

They don't have the balls to do something completely different. And I mean COMPLETELY different.

In this movie: Skynet is dead. John Connor is erased from history. The nuclear apocalypse never happens. Sarah Connor is an entirely new character. There are two Kyle Reeses. T1 and T2 are officially dream sequences...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still see the names Kyle Reese, John Connor, and Sarah Connor in your post. I don't want to see any more stories about them. That's my personal issue, I know.

However, I would be down with a film all about 'Pops' hanging around and getting weird random jobs during his wait time.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Bacontotem posted:

In short I liked it overall. What seems odd to be follows. I got the feeling that 1970s lake incident was supposed to be a bigger scene in the movie but was cut for time. I'm guessing we'll get more in a directors cut, and it may or may not establish the T-1000 as a more serious threat as a stand alone rather than relying on you to remember how dangerous one is via Terminator 2 nostalgia. .

I assume that incident and the whole locked memory thing is just sequel bait.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah sounds like it might be a good time. I still think that "John Conner" in this film looks like Dr Steve Brule though and I can't get it out of my head.
I think that would've increased my enjoyment had I realized that while watching. I knew he looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Or the future timeline (before going back) is a result of the original timeline? :iiam:. They can cover it in the sequels, particularly the whole guardian terminator origin mystery.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I still see the names Kyle Reese, John Connor, and Sarah Connor in your post. I don't want to see any more stories about them. That's my personal issue, I know.

It's literally just the names. This film ignores T3 and T4, so the adult John Connor is a new character. Sarah is entirely different. and Reese retains only the backstory.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Who sent Pops back in time and deleted his files to begin with?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

How sick would it be if there was a Terminator movie that featured Michael Ironside, Terry Crews and Common instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evobatman posted:

Who sent Pops back in time and deleted his files to begin with?

I hope SMG is right and it's Skynet

• Locked thread