Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I have 1 (one) SDCC Pro badge that I am no longer in need of, I got an exhibitor badge last minute through work.

Suggestions on how to get rid of it? Raffle? Lottery? Fight to the death winner take all? Scavenger hunt in San Diego?

I paid for it so I'd like to at least get my money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
I have a friend who might be interested. His girlfriend has a badge, but he doesn't. I'll hit him up and PM you.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

bobula posted:

I pm'ed dude who needs room/may need to get rid of badge, but I just wanted to put it out there:

I'd like to get at least a Friday badge to get to the Adult Swim panels, so if anyone here can't go that day or wants to be rid of their badge, let me know!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Wristbands
http://comic-con.org/toucan/23-return-of-hall-h-toucan-tracker-wristbands

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Autograph schedule is up. No one there I'm that interested in but my buddy may go for Doctor Who.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
for the wrestling fans:
http://comiccon2015.sched.org/event/2ab459700a461baab5c5390e7d64cafb?iframe=no&w=i:680;&sidebar=no&bg=no#.VZLW7EbW7Y4

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Nerd HQ hasn't released its panel schedule yet, but "teasers" show that Bryan Cranston, Nathan Fillion, and one of the guys from Supernatural (sorry, can never remember which is which) will be on board.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Full schedule for Nerd HQ schedule is available now:
http://www.thenerdmachine.com/nerd-hq/conversations-for-a-cause/

Lots of meh from me this year.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

How are Nerd HQ panels? What IS Nerd HQ anyway? Is it just like Comic Con panels where they just ask panelists questions and then a line of people get to ask questions?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does anyone need just a sunday badge? I will likely have one I don't need

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Nerd HQ panels are similar to the SDCC panels, but they are a lot smaller and more intimate; also, more casual. Audience is limited to 200 people. I've seen Fillion and Whedon panels and they are always lots of fun. Worth it to get away from the madhouse of the convention center.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Nerd HQ panels are similar to the SDCC panels, but they are a lot smaller and more intimate; also, more casual. Audience is limited to 200 people. I've seen Fillion and Whedon panels and they are always lots of fun. Worth it to get away from the madhouse of the convention center.

This is pretty much correct. Also unlike Con panels, there's really no moderator, it's just basically 50 minutes of Q&A without any of the filtering you get from SDCC (if you have a retarded question and are brave enough to ask it, no one's going to pre-screen you).

As for the rest of Nerd HQ, it's pretty ok, fun to walk around. It was super hard to distinguish between what was nerdist and what was nerd hq (thanks assholes for being unoriginal in your naming conventions) so this year should straighten some of that out. Nerd HQ also has a celeb photo booth if pictures are more your thing. These aren't usually heavily announced when and who though.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone need just a sunday badge? I will likely have one I don't need

Sent you a pm

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
A couple years back at Nerd HQ, they had a ton of games set up for people to play at their leisure. I'm not big on gaming, but they did have some old arcade games too, so I played Centipede to my heart's content while I waited for my panel.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The FX Fearless Arena at the Hilton Bayfront Park

Attendees who stop by can step into the world of their favorite shows, with activations like The Strain‘s live-action virtual reality experience, where attendees will venture off on a two-and-a-half minute adventure; a two-story model hotel to give viewers a first look inside American Horror Story: Hotel; a chance to suit up as “warriors” and square off against each other with a high striker, cross-bow, and final puzzle challenge to escape the forest in The Bastard Executioner (plus win a hooded t-shirt); and step inside a giant 20-foot inflatable snow globe for Fargo.
Fans will be able to register for the activations early by going to https://www.fxsdcc.com beginning July 7th. The first 2,500 pre-registered fans who visit the Arena will receive a free, exclusive FX Fearless giant tote bag in the Welcome Area. Must be 18 or older to participate in activations for The Strain, The Bastard Executioner and American Horror Story: Hotel.

In addition, FX will also have an Archer-themed water fountain featuring Pam Poovey’s Dolphin Puppet, an It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia sunscreen station, concert button giveaways for Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, the Kwik-E-Mart Truck on site on Saturday offering free Squishees, and more giveaways.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I have 1 (one) SDCC Pro badge that I am no longer in need of, I got an exhibitor badge last minute through work.

Suggestions on how to get rid of it? Raffle? Lottery? Fight to the death winner take all? Scavenger hunt in San Diego?

I paid for it so I'd like to at least get my money back.

Sent choo a pm booooy

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The Old Republic is hosting another open bar!

This was my favorite Comic-Con event two years ago. I'm really looking forward to doing it again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Sent you a pm

Cool, no promises since there may be dibs but I'll let you know

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Got Nerd HQ ticket for the Con Man panel. Just hoping my luck holds out for Fillion...

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/02/comic-con-two-year-contract-through-2018/

It'll be San Diego Comic-Con until 2018

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Thank God for that.

I heard a news report yesterday that should put the "let's move the con to Los Angeles" crowd in their place. Not only does the LA Convention Center have much less room than San Diego, but there are only 4,000 hotel rooms within walking distance. And you thought this year's HotelPocalypse was bad...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Thank God for that.

I heard a news report yesterday that should put the "let's move the con to Los Angeles" crowd in their place. Not only does the LA Convention Center have much less room than San Diego, but there are only 4,000 hotel rooms within walking distance. And you thought this year's HotelPocalypse was bad...

A fine troll good goon sir.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I don't think I would go anymore if it was in LA. Probably just switch to PAX East or NYCC.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Soarer posted:

I don't think I would go anymore if it was in LA. Probably just switch to PAX East or NYCC.

It has outgrown San Diego. The idea that you need to be in a hotel within walking distance defies logic. La can handle the influx, and not no mention its in the studios' backyards, think of all the offsite activities at the fox, Sony, paramount, etc lots. LA would be perfect, presuming sdcc doesn't collapse under its own weight like e3 did years back.

Ed oh and the la convention center can fit like three San Diego convention centers in it.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I live near LA and I think the con moving there would be a terrible idea. The surrounding area is nasty and the transportation sucks compared to SD. Not to mention that July in LA is hot and smoggy as opposed to always-perfect low-seventies in SD. It's a moot point for a few years, but I'm happy the con's staying in SD. The problem isn't with the venue, it's that CCI needs to dial back attendance.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I live 10-15 minutes away from the L.A. convention center and I would hate it to be there. that part of L.A. is just not ready for what SDCC brings with it.

In saying that, it has just dawned on me that con is next week and I haven't prepared much at all. Welp, this will be a "Leaf in the wind" con for me. Which I think I rather prefer than the rushing around missing panels and getting pissed off for it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Jack Skeleton posted:

I live 10-15 minutes away from the L.A. convention center and I would hate it to be there. that part of L.A. is just not ready for what SDCC brings with it.

In saying that, it has just dawned on me that con is next week and I haven't prepared much at all. Welp, this will be a "Leaf in the wind" con for me. Which I think I rather prefer than the rushing around missing panels and getting pissed off for it.

Yea me too, had a kid in December so it's basically a wander around thing for me. Weird to not be in hyped/pumped/cosplay mode but poo poo filled diapers and vegetable purée keep me occupied. Still looking forward to it though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah having the gaslamp as a place to supplement the con is good. LA has like a Hooters, a bacon dog lady and....I guess skid row could hold some festivities

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

San Diego is the best place for Con as a whole. It's a crime that the city is dragging its heels on expanding the convention center, but everything else about SD is perfect. And "everything else" is just two things: the way the entire city embraces the event and the weather. The weather can't be stressed enough. There's no major convention center anywhere else in the world that can support outdoor lines and overnight camping in July.

LA is too drat hot and downtown, while greatly improved over the last couple decades, is still too dispersed for foot traffic from the convention center. Las Vegas could handle the size of con and has great off-campus stuff, but whatever soul Comic-con has would be swallowed up by the city.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

The Marriott is expanding their ballroom space over the next couple of years too, according to the signs and construction up around the hotel. Even if the con center itself doesn't expand it's pretty cool that the surrounding area seems to be putting in a lot of effort. I'm hoping everybody else follows suit :3:

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
After the person who originally got my guest pass had to cancel, my friends found another person who said he could get me in. He emails me yesterday telling me he forgot to change the name on his pass and I'd have to go as Sarah. I've never had a problem with ID checks, but I'm pretty clearly not Sarah; do any longtime attendees think this will be a problem? I don't want to commit to shuttling people around and spending the money on lodging and parking not knowing if I'll be removed.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Planetarium posted:

After the person who originally got my guest pass had to cancel, my friends found another person who said he could get me in. He emails me yesterday telling me he forgot to change the name on his pass and I'd have to go as Sarah. I've never had a problem with ID checks, but I'm pretty clearly not Sarah; do any longtime attendees think this will be a problem? I don't want to commit to shuttling people around and spending the money on lodging and parking not knowing if I'll be removed.

Ymmv, but I lent my female name badge to my male friend and they snagged him the first time he tried to go in. He thought fast and got out of there with the badge, but we ended up switching him to a male badge.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I used someone else's badge last year, but we were the same gender so they didn't notice. No ID check. Also, it was Sunday so Security may not have cared at that point.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
You could try to be sneaky with some low effort costume that has a mask and just take it off. Might be too much :effort: though

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Soarer posted:

You could try to be sneaky with some low effort costume that has a mask and just take it off. Might be too much :effort: though

This is actually a pretty good idea.

On days other than Sunday, security is very good about checking badges. I've been stopped and asked to turn mine around to the front about a dozen times. Never been asked to present a second ID to confirm the name, but they seemed to be checking that the name matches the gender.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I went as a Hispanic female and never once got made. I hear they are more on top of people who are in line for exclusives purchasing.

then again I could be a butch hispanic female at a glance

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If you're still looking for lodging, I found this Tijuana package:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/comic-con-2015-overnight-stay-packages-in-tijuana-mexico-tickets-17346984297?aff=es2

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'd rather get beaten by all american sailors than beheaded by cartel but that's cool I guess

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

That's an amazing deal, but I think I'd rather stay an hour and a half away at a Motel 6 and/or camp overnight in Hall H lines for a night or two than deal with TJ and border crossing twice a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Still got 3 spare floor tickets to w00tstock to get rid of. It's always a lot of fun, my family just can't make it this year. Singing the Reading Rainbow theme song with Levar Burton is one of my favorite SDCC memories.

• Locked thread