Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
How soon are you trying to go grain to glass for a Tripel? What was your OG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ChickenArise posted:

How soon are you trying to go grain to glass for a Tripel? What was your OG?

OG was 1.064. I have no particular time period in mind. If it didn't lag this long I would have pushed to get it kegged and start force carbonation by Sunday. But I'm out of town for a week so I'll have to rack and do all that next Sunday.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A guy in our brewclub bought a Four Roses Bourbon Barrel when he was down in Kentucky for the Derby. He wheels up a loving monstrous 55+gal oak barrel with a half gallon of whiskey left it in.

All of us a small time brewers with 5 or 10 gallon capacity systems, so we're devising a plan - fill the barrel with however much you can make of whatever "Basic Stout/RIS" recipe you come up with the a few caveats: same yeast variety for everyone, IBU range, ABV, and limited hop variety selection.

We've mathed out the capacity so that if someone's batch isn't up to snuff, it doesn't go in the mix, plus there will be plenty to bottle a few from each batch and compare them with the barrel aged blend after however-many-months we plan to age it. This is gonna be a really fun and highly expensive club experiment.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

A guy in our brewclub bought a Four Roses Bourbon Barrel when he was down in Kentucky for the Derby. He wheels up a loving monstrous 55+gal oak barrel with a half gallon of whiskey left it in.

All of us a small time brewers with 5 or 10 gallon capacity systems, so we're devising a plan - fill the barrel with however much you can make of whatever "Basic Stout/RIS" recipe you come up with the a few caveats: same yeast variety for everyone, IBU range, ABV, and limited hop variety selection.

We've mathed out the capacity so that if someone's batch isn't up to snuff, it doesn't go in the mix, plus there will be plenty to bottle a few from each batch and compare them with the barrel aged blend after however-many-months we plan to age it. This is gonna be a really fun and highly expensive club experiment.

What happens when you want to make more and can't get it to reproduce? Even if it's a one time experiment, that just seems a shame. Especially if you don't drink the Four Roses first. Bluegrass Brewing Co in Louisville does a Bourbon Barrel Stout that's usually good if you want to get your hands on something to drink in comparison.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

What happens when you want to make more and can't get it to reproduce? Even if it's a one time experiment, that just seems a shame. Especially if you don't drink the Four Roses first. Bluegrass Brewing Co in Louisville does a Bourbon Barrel Stout that's usually good if you want to get your hands on something to drink in comparison.

There are hundreds if not thousands of bourbon barrell stouts out there for comparison. It's not exactly an out there style anymore and what he's doing isn't even an uncommon thing anymore from what I've heard. Lots of homebrew clubs get their hands on barrels for stouts and sours. I think the fact that it's difficult to reproduce actually makes it more fun. It makes each bottle feel that much more special when you drink it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

Our club has done this twice, with the second still in the barrel. It's always everyone brewing the same exact recipe. First was a stout, second is a robust porter. The main problem we are running into is that we need to have something else to fill the barrel up with if we want to bottle what's already in there. Fortunately we've been using club membership dues to cover the cost of ingredients so far though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I had to take a year off of home brewing and mead making due to living circumstances but just moved into a significantly larger apartment with a private yard. Very excited to get back into brewing! Question though, as I would like to start doing all grain batches outdoors and have only previously brewed indoors on stove top. I should have most of the equipment already (mash tun, 10 gallon pot, etc.) but what should I get or upgrade to start brewing outside? Lets say a $500 budget (though hopefully less)? What kind of propane burner, brewing fixture (a brew sculpture is probably too large and out of budget), what about converted kegs to brew kettles? etc.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

yamdankee posted:

OG was 1.064. I have no particular time period in mind. If it didn't lag this long I would have pushed to get it kegged and start force carbonation by Sunday. But I'm out of town for a week so I'll have to rack and do all that next Sunday.

I feel like I'd want 2-3 weeks to condition before packaging for a beer like that, but maybe it's personal taste. Generally if I'm not doing an IPA or some intentionally-quick style (some saisons, milds, or cream ales), more time conditioning is better imo.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Plinkey posted:

So the Pliny was actually fine. It just smelled really, really yeasty because I only did a single ferment instead of double. I figure it's about 8-9% and pretty close (to 80-100 IBU) on bitterness. Anyone that's a double IPA fan check out the more beer recipe.

Also my ghetto bottle filler worked great with the pressure turned down to 2-3 psi.

I and many other people never do a secondary fermentation* for IPAs and I have never thought it smelled yeasty when transferring.

*the term barely applies, since you wouldn't transfer it until fermentation was done anyway. If you add fruit or stuff like that, then yes it does a secondary fermentation. Doing it for hoppy beers is only really done if (a) you are convinced that it makes dry hopping better, which is dubious at best, or (b) it's an old habit that you are doing for no real reason.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Anyone have experience adding ginger powder at the end of the boil? I'm making a pale ale tomorrow and want to give it a bit of ginger flavor, just enough so you can tell it's there. I was thinking maybe 1 tbsp for a 5 gallon batch, but I don't know how that'll translate into the final product. Suggestions?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Glottis posted:

I and many other people never do a secondary fermentation* for IPAs and I have never thought it smelled yeasty when transferring.

*the term barely applies, since you wouldn't transfer it until fermentation was done anyway. If you add fruit or stuff like that, then yes it does a secondary fermentation. Doing it for hoppy beers is only really done if (a) you are convinced that it makes dry hopping better, which is dubious at best, or (b) it's an old habit that you are doing for no real reason.

I do it out of habit, until recently I only had a bazooka screen which sucked at straining hops so I'l do a secondary to try and clear it up for a week or two, this one was a bit rushed, 15 days brew to keg to make it in time for the 4th weekend so I was a bit worried when it smelled really yeasty, the yeast layer also looked really weird, like a bunch of yeast balls instead of the normal layer...who knows. So yeah, reason B.

e: I didn't have it for this one, but I'm switching to a paint bag strainer for the boil hops and a triple layer metal strainer to go into the keg to get the dry hops. I'm hoping that will clear most of it out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Anyone have experience adding ginger powder at the end of the boil? I'm making a pale ale tomorrow and want to give it a bit of ginger flavor, just enough so you can tell it's there. I was thinking maybe 1 tbsp for a 5 gallon batch, but I don't know how that'll translate into the final product. Suggestions?

I'd recommend making a tincture out of some fresh ginger (slice it up, put it in some vodka for a week or so) and add it at bottling/kegging. That way you can take a small sample, dose it up with tincture, decide how much you like, and scale it up.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Ground ginger is quite different from fresh ginger. More spicy/earthy and less zesty/fresh. I could see it working in beer, but probably more for some kind of spiced style, and in a smaller quantity. Like a teaspoon at the most.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It looks like Cheap Cherries are here- 1.99/# is about as cheap as I ever see them unless fermentation is already happening right there in the bag. I don't have a spare fermenter right this second though.

Can I get away with vacuum or otherwise bagging them and freezing for a week or two until I can get some honey and whatever else put together?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

the yeti posted:

It looks like Cheap Cherries are here- 1.99/# is about as cheap as I ever see them unless fermentation is already happening right there in the bag. I don't have a spare fermenter right this second though.

Can I get away with vacuum or otherwise bagging them and freezing for a week or two until I can get some honey and whatever else put together?

Yes, that's actually preferred as freezing will cause water in the cells to turn into crystals and rupture the cell walls. One thing to decide though is whether or not you want to pit them since it's easier to do when fresh rather than frozen. I did a mead with unpitted pie cherries and the pits seemed to give it a slightly nutty flavor that I didn't care for that much.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
RE: rye is sasion/sours

My solera recipe has a pinch of rye and nearly every saison I do has rye in it, as well as a split roggenbeir I did with 3726. I love the spicy note that lasts through the brett and funk.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Would 90% MO, 5% CaraRye and 5% Chocolate Wheat be a good grainbill for a weird blackish specialty IPA?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yes, that's actually preferred as freezing will cause water in the cells to turn into crystals and rupture the cell walls. One thing to decide though is whether or not you want to pit them since it's easier to do when fresh rather than frozen. I did a mead with unpitted pie cherries and the pits seemed to give it a slightly nutty flavor that I didn't care for that much.

Perfecto. I've read before about the pits adding flavor and i think it's something I'd be into, but thanks for mentioning that anyway as I'd forgotten all about it.

ETA: I assume if I'm gonna freeze them a natural ferment later on is out?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the yeti posted:

Perfecto. I've read before about the pits adding flavor and i think it's something I'd be into, but thanks for mentioning that anyway as I'd forgotten all about it.

ETA: I assume if I'm gonna freeze them a natural ferment later on is out?

I'd boil them first to kind of turn them into a paste, I think you'd be ok just throwing them in after freezing, put I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ugh! I foolishly didn't invest in a blow-off for my airlock and now the beer is getting all up in it. I took it off real quick, cleaned it, sanitized it, and replaced it, but it's still fouling up the airlock. What can I do until I get a blow-off? Am I screwed? :ohdear:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yamdankee posted:

Ugh! I foolishly didn't invest in a blow-off for my airlock and now the beer is getting all up in it. I took it off real quick, cleaned it, sanitized it, and replaced it, but it's still fouling up the airlock. What can I do until I get a blow-off? Am I screwed? :ohdear:

You don't have some tubing just lying around that you can sanitize quick and shove into the stopper hole? If you do, do that quick and put the other end into a bucket of water.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I can use the tubing I use for siphoning. I'll take off the top and the bobber thingy and attaching to the rest of the airlock. Pics in a second to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks for the quick reply!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
A few things come to mind:

Pull the airlock and replace it with some sanitized aluminum foil loosely crimped over the mouth of the carboy until the foam dies down. It will continue to foam over, so make sure you're prepared for the mess.

Get some Fermcap and add a few drops to the fermenter to knock down the foam so it stops making a mess.

Pull the airlock and replace it a couple times a day or more until the mess subsides. When I do this, I usually just keep two in rotation - when I pull one, I sanitize the other and just swap it, then go wash out the goopy one.

In any event, no, you're not screwed. There's so much CO2 and foam coming out that nothing bad can get in. It'll be good beer when it's done.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yamdankee posted:

I can use the tubing I use for siphoning. I'll take off the top and the bobber thingy and attaching to the rest of the airlock. Pics in a second to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks for the quick reply!

Are you using a bucket or a carboy?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Thanks guys for the quick help. You really saved the day. It looks like the foam started to go up already, but then it died back down. Did it die back down for good after I went through all that? Or might it still flare up once in a while and I should hold off on putting the airlock back on?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does your hose have water in it at the end attached to the airlock?

e: I guess not, just looks like it from the weird bubbles on the inside. That should work fine until you can put the real airlock back on.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2015

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Plinkey posted:

Does your hose have water in it at the end attached to the airlock?

No. I can see it looks like bubbles trapped in water, but it's the bubble residue from the foam coming up at first and dying back down. That'd be nuts, haha.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What in the hell yeast did you use/what are you making? I have never had a yeast ferment like that before. God drat. Overflowing a 6.5 gallon carboy.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm making a Belgian Tripel. I'm using White Labs Abbey Ale liquid yeast that I made a starter with. Yeah this yeast is going absolutely insane. It's at least one huge bubble a second. Been going like this since yesterday morning. I was planning on harvesting this yeast afterwards, but I wouldn't have the heart to drain these guys after how well they're doing anyway!

What is it that I'm actually seeing that looks like it's "swimming" around? That can't be the yeast, right? Aren't they microscopic?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yamdankee posted:

What is it that I'm actually seeing that looks like it's "swimming" around? That can't be the yeast, right? Aren't they microscopic?

I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of trub/solids getting stirred up by the yeast making all of their CO2, it should all settle out when the fermentation is done. They also form yeast rafts https://www.google.com/search?q=yea...NZDiOUuok7QM%3A which are pretty normal. So it might be some sunken yeast rafts.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah I noticed it the last two brews, too. That makes sense. Yeah I had rafts like crazy on the 2nd brew. I can't wait to see how close I am to th 7.4% ABV estimation for this one, though. I kind of think I'm going to overshoot it, but I might just be overly optimistic. :)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To completely change subjects, anyone here use the Grainfather? http://www.grainfather.com/#!online-store/c8k/!/Grainfather/p/47641226/category=12375700

It's pricey, but I'm really limited on space for an all grain set up (townhouse in a city) so I've only been doing extracts since forever. It seems like it's a maybe $200-$300 premium over an all grain full boil set up. Mostly since that counter flow chiller would be like what, $150 at least.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
At the very least, it's cheaper than the Braumeister.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Maybe you want to get fancier than me, but all I did was convert a 5 gallon Home Depot drink dispenser into a mash tun following a guide in YouTube. Would this take up less space than that?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

Yeah bourbon barrel stouts are pretty easy to find around here. I'd reckon there's a bottle release from a local microbrew featuring a Barrel-Aged SOMETHING about every month.

On top of that, 18th Street Brewing outside of Chicago (close-ish for me) just expanded to another building specifically for barrels.

A one-time experiment will be fun, and I don't see it as a waste at all. After the stout comes out, we're going to clean it well and inoculate it with some sort of sour strain and keep it around as full-time bug barrel.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Plinkey posted:

I'd boil them first to kind of turn them into a paste, I think you'd be ok just throwing them in after freezing, put I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

Please don't boil your fruit. Freeze and then thaw in a bucket with some sulfite for 1-2 days to deal with any wild yeast or bacteria, then rack on to the base mead.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Plinkey posted:

To completely change subjects, anyone here use the Grainfather? http://www.grainfather.com/#!online-store/c8k/!/Grainfather/p/47641226/category=12375700

It's pricey, but I'm really limited on space for an all grain set up (townhouse in a city) so I've only been doing extracts since forever. It seems like it's a maybe $200-$300 premium over an all grain full boil set up. Mostly since that counter flow chiller would be like what, $150 at least.

I did their kickstarter, I'll keep the thread posted. There's been a great deal of improvements from the first AUS/NZ version to what they're manufacturing for worldwide distribution now. I know I'm still beta testing their hardware by buying at this point but I'm excited about its arrival.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah bourbon barrel stouts are pretty easy to find around here. I'd reckon there's a bottle release from a local microbrew featuring a Barrel-Aged SOMETHING about every month.

On top of that, 18th Street Brewing outside of Chicago (close-ish for me) just expanded to another building specifically for barrels.

A one-time experiment will be fun, and I don't see it as a waste at all. After the stout comes out, we're going to clean it well and inoculate it with some sort of sour strain and keep it around as full-time bug barrel.

See, now you've got me. I wish that I'd looked for a barrel when I lived in Louisville myself, just for the bug barrel. Although, I think I'd prefer 10gallons, because 55 is too much to fill for me right now. I'm pretty sure I see wine barrel beers more frequently in the Pac NW, but I'll be honest and say that I don't drink as much even microbrew stuff now that my basement is constantly filled with beer.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

wattershed posted:

I did their kickstarter, I'll keep the thread posted. There's been a great deal of improvements from the first AUS/NZ version to what they're manufacturing for worldwide distribution now. I know I'm still beta testing their hardware by buying at this point but I'm excited about its arrival.

So its an automated all grain pot? I assume it's all programmable via app and heats and holds as programmed and you just dump things in at the necessary times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Of course when I go to keg my double IPA today as soon as I'm done cleaning out the keg for it, my CO2 runs out. Going to have to run out in the morning to Airgas and get a fillup and keg tomorrow. At least I had enough gas in the keg to push some of the starsan that I had in the keg to run up into the lines, so they're nice and clean.

Edit: I also didn't hit my FG, but it's stable at 1.017 and tastes great, so I'm not exactly bummed. It's still 8.6% so it's no slouch in the ABV department.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 5, 2015