Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mazerunner posted:

Did you even have to take out the dudes in the sniper fight or could you just walk over and grapple up anyway. In the last stage there were the two turrets that I just ignored.

You can absolutely ignore everything, punch the Knight in the face, and then you actually would have to eliminate everyone to get him to show up again, but without his rifle hanging over your head that poo poo's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was fine with Batman-immune robots. They're video gamey but that makes sense for Riddler who does nonsensical video gamey stuff and it encourages you to target specific foes and swap constantly.

Beef Chief posted:

You can absolutely ignore everything, punch the Knight in the face, and then you actually would have to eliminate everyone to get him to show up again, but without his rifle hanging over your head that poo poo's easy.

Yeah, this is what I did. There's no reason NOT to just go for him first.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Real hurthling! posted:

having a buddy felt incredible up until the stuff with catwoman where its just "nope sorry, this robot is immune to batman"

If Riddler can build robots immune to Batman, why did he even let Catwoman help him fight?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

count me in for being surprised about "wait, that's it!?" when the sniper fight was over. You don't even fight Todd, he bitches out and gets smacked around, suddenly pisses himself and only reappears as a deus ex machina before loving off yet again with zero explanation. THIS was the poo poo a company was so concerned about spoiling that QA was forgone lol

and yeah that red/blue robot poo poo was just a way to "diversify" things when there's no need to do that. it's a telling thing that they do poo poo like that, they're afraid to just give you more of good things and felt "we have to shove this new poo poo in, even if it's not that fun"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If Riddler can build robots immune to Batman, why did he even let Catwoman help him fight?

Because he's the Riddler. His gimmick is literally that he does stupid things because he can't help himself.

MinibarMatchman posted:

that red/blue robot poo poo was just a way to "diversify" things when there's no need to do that. it's a telling thing that they do poo poo like that, they're afraid to just give you more of good things and felt "we have to shove this new poo poo in, even if it's not that fun"

That is a good thing though. It's not meaningfully different from shock rod guys or shield guys or whatever. They're asking you to use a specific tool against them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As has been established, Riddler is incredibly self-destructive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao do you really never get a hand-to-hand fight with the Knight

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nope. You get a tank fight, a drill fight, and a sniper fight. Two of the three fights are spent in the batmobile, enjoy your new villain who is never fought outside of a thing except once.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beef Chief posted:

Nope. You get a tank fight, a drill fight, and a sniper fight. Two of the three fights are spent in the batmobile, enjoy your new villain who is never fought outside of a thing except once.

don't you get an airship fight at the beginning as well?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's a hand to hand fight with some new guy who is basically Mr. Abomavich from Arkham City in terms of story importance and the Riddler. You need to get all of the trophies to do the Riddler fight, though.

That's pretty much it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

don't you get an airship fight at the beginning as well?

That's a drone so you're not technically fighting him that time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason you don't fight any bosses hand-to-hand is because that Deathstroke fight in Origins demonstrated just how loving awful and not fun that would be. Also because the boss would need some kind of gimmick preventing you from using your moves anyway or else you could just stun them and do the beat down and then win, and at that point they may as well just put them in a big robot or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are like the one person who does not like that Deathstroke boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beef Chief posted:

You are like the one person who does not like that Deathstroke boss.

Bullshit, there was all kinds of hate on it when it was relevant because of how unintuitive and boring it is.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Finally got some time to put into this game and I got to the cloudburst fight, it wasn't nearly as bad as this thread made me think it was going to be. Running away from it while it shot anime lasers was cool, until I realized it barely did any damage unless you parked in front of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Unintuitive? What? Literally everything he does is simple to respond to and the game will at points even slow down when he starts throwing tanks at you so you can respond to it. It's not even a boring fight, because as far as most Arkham bosses go it's actually pretty fast-paced and Deathstroke is almost always doing something and there's never a dumb "HIT THIS BIG WEAK POINT" nonsense, you just keep hitting him until he goes down.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the closest you get is that one combat encounter where if you try punching the Knight the game goes into a cutscene

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CJacobs posted:

The reason you don't fight any bosses hand-to-hand is because that Deathstroke fight in Origins demonstrated just how loving awful and not fun that would be. Also because the boss would need some kind of gimmick preventing you from using your moves anyway or else you could just stun them and do the beat down and then win, and at that point they may as well just put them in a big robot or something.

I'd take a Deathstroke fight over the cloudburst/drill fight in a heartbeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

Unintuitive? What? Literally everything he does is simple to respond to and the game will at points even slow down when he starts throwing tanks at you so you can respond to it. It's not even a boring fight, because as far as most Arkham bosses go it's actually pretty fast-paced and Deathstroke is almost always doing something and there's never a dumb "HIT THIS BIG WEAK POINT" nonsense, you just keep hitting him until he goes down.

A lot of people who really hate the Deathstroke fight seem to have just had trouble with it. I don't really understand why because it's literally a one-on-one combat fight where you attack him as you would a crowd of dudes but he's one guy. It's a fairly simple fight but that doesn't make it bad. It's literally the counterpart to Freeze where he's a Predator room done against one guy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The only bosses that broke from formula in huge ways were Mr. Freeze and Deathstroke, one was the 1v1 apex of Predator gameplay and the other was the purest test of Combat (unless you think the fight against Shiva and the Ninjas counts as well). Things like Clayface and Al Ghul and Ivy in the other games were fine but they weren't as intense. People liked the Deathstroke battle because it made you do something more complex besides dodging the same attack from a giant enemy, and pitted you against something that was supposed to be of similar caliber in terms of fight style.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Literally the only thing you have to do in the fight that requires more thought than punch and counter is counter multiple times in the same attack you countered, which means you just hit counter again. That fight is like one of the most simple fights in the series and as you said it's just the counterpart to Mr. Freeze from City. Like it's not a hard boss or one that takes you to your limits, but it is a lot of drat fun and doesn't have dumb lovely gimmicks to ruin it because everything you do in it is already a natural part of the combat. Just like everything you do against Mr. Freeze is a natural part of the predator stuff, he only adapts to it so you can't just poo poo on him and have to think a little more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

i feel like you are fundamentally misunderstanding how the Riddler works

And I'm still absolutely stunned how many people have that much trouble with the cloudburst fight or the drill fight. Especially the drill, it was aggressively easy.

edit: My only complaint with the cobra tanks was that the "360 degree scan" mechanic feels like you should be able to still stay locked on and get them while it's happening, when in fact the solution there is wait until the finish". It's pretty poorly communicated, but I think every time I tried to get them during a scan I got seen no matter how far I stayed behind them.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 2, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Honestly if Rocksteady thought the Freeflow Combat wouldnt work well against one enemy they could have just pulled an MGS4 and just transform the game into a fighting game for one fight. Anything would have been better than the underwhelming "fights" we got.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

theflyingorc posted:

i feel like you are fundamentally misunderstanding how the Riddler works

And I'm still absolutely stunned how many people have that much trouble with the cloudburst fight or the drill fight. Especially the drill, it was aggressively easy.

edit: My only complaint with the cobra tanks was that the "360 degree scan" mechanic feels like you should be able to still stay locked on and get them while it's happening, when in fact the solution there is wait until the finish". It's pretty poorly communicated, but I think every time I tried to get them during a scan I got seen no matter how far I stayed behind them.

Drill was easy mechanically, but the problem came from wrangling the Batmobile into doing what you wanted where the slightest gently caress up meant instant death. No wiggle room where every other boss fight has at least some.

Cloudburst was also easy, but it was boring, is the thing. Same failure as Croc in asylum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cloudburst was basically just a super Cobra drone. Which is fine except fighting Cobra drones gets boring really quickly because they only have one meaningful gimmick and two ways to go about it. (Shoot in exhaust port, hack drone.)

Freeze works because you have a billion options in predator rooms and he adapts to them after you do them.That's fun. The Cloudburst is slow and repetitive. I wouldn't mind repetitive if it wasn't slow. (His Angry Mode exists only to make the fight longer.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nibbles! posted:

Same for my game. Looks like if you've done everything else the game wants you to finish Riddler before you can initiate Knightfall. It might be the same for everyone ie if you've done 7 most wanted missions the game wants you to do one more post game to unlock Knightfall.

Same here - 100% on all sidequests except Riddler. I guess it's some kind of bug where if you're already over 7 it requires you to do them all or somehting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mazerunner posted:

Drill was easy mechanically, but the problem came from wrangling the Batmobile into doing what you wanted where the slightest gently caress up meant instant death. No wiggle room where every other boss fight has at least some.

Cloudburst was also easy, but it was boring, is the thing. Same failure as Croc in asylum.

yeah i most hate the batmobile for how many wasted riddler laps and boss fight loading taunts it made me sit through because the devs made it loving explode all the time. then when it actually is supposed to explode you get another one within 10 seconds. why wasn't fox remote piloting that poo poo as your wingman the whole time and/or air lifting all the tanks in the city into the middle of the bay with the batwing?

VVV
because the camera goes to double its normal distance and refuses to stay behind you probably

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 2, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Freeze works because you have a billion options in predator rooms and he adapts to them after you do them.That's fun. The Cloudburst is slow and repetitive. I wouldn't mind repetitive if it wasn't slow. (His Angry Mode exists only to make the fight longer.)
I liked running away from the cloudburst, it was the only time that I felt that it was actually hard to get away from things chasing you in the Batmobile.

^^ it is really dumb that if you fail a riddler lap spectacularly you have to get back to the start. On the final lap of the last one I got smushed by the first smusher once and I just backed over the starting line and waited over a minute.

quote:

then when it actually is supposed to explode you get another one within 10 seconds. why wasn't fox remote piloting that poo poo as your wingman the whole time and/or air lifting all the tanks in the city into the middle of the bay with the batwing?
this is aggressively dumb

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 2, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hulk Krogan posted:

So I finished up the final main story mission last night, and I think I missed something.

The Arkham Knight shows up and shoots the gun out of Scarecrow's hand and frees Batman. Buh? He just shows up, takes the shots, and it's never mentioned again. Is that supposed to imply that Jason feels bad about the whole thing and comes back to help Batman? Is it someone else wearing his suit for some reason?

The way some of you think borders on hilarity. You're telling me that you would think some random new character showed up for a 2 second scene dressed up as the Arkham Knight in the end of the entire series? You feel like that theory is equal to thinking Jason did a face turn? I mean, it's not that complex, mate. Jason realizes he went too far and it wasn't Batman's fault, he shows up to start being anti-hero Red Hood. Starts by saving Batman's life.

Re: Deathstroke

I liked the fight enough, but it gets tedious. Like I think his health bar is too long or something. I started feeling like "Yeah, I get it." even before he switched into the next phase. Can't imagine hating it though. I'll admit I was frustrated at first, because I couldn't get the counters right. But I figured it out better once I realized you had to wait and not just press Triangle when it seemed appropriate.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

The way some of you think borders on hilarity. You're telling me that you would think some random new character showed up for a 2 second scene dressed up as the Arkham Knight in the end of the entire series? You feel like that theory is equal to thinking Jason did a face turn? I mean, it's not that complex, mate. Jason realizes he went too far and it wasn't Batman's fault, he shows up to start being anti-hero Red Hood. Starts by saving Batman's life.

Like I said, I thought maybe I missed something elsewhere because it's so out of nowhere and isn't mentioned again. I think Jason showing up to save Batman makes a lot more sense, but because of the way it's presented - the character showing up for all of 3 seconds without any further comment - it made me think I had missed some dialogue earlier, or that it would be brought up again later. There's a reason that in any movie/TV show/whatever ever made, if something like that happens, there's at least a line or two of dialogue afterward to acknowledge that character's presence. That's just basic script writing.

Imagine if the Millenium Falcon showed up to the Death Star and saved Luke, but you never saw inside the cockpit and you never hear Han Solo's voice. Yeah it's pretty obvious what happened but it's pretty weird and jarring and leaves the viewer feeling like something is missing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is definitely out of nowhere, because he just disappears for the rest of the game and shows back up somehow knowing that Scarecrow planned to have him there and only to save him. There's nothing of him in the climax of the game, so the scene is pretty sporadic. It's obvious why he did it, it does happen really suddenly though and without warning. It's not even really a surprise so much as "Oh wait, he's still in the story?"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The Cloudburst really sucks unless you of nothing but laps around the movie studio and docks, because it's a pretty simple oval that breaks his LOS very quickly.

Otherwise you're probably going to crash into something in Chinatown and die quickly

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
And the excavator was pretty piss easy unless the loose driving controls and bad camera angles cause you to clip the edge of a wall or ramp and get wrecked.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hulk Krogan posted:

Like I said, I thought maybe I missed something elsewhere because it's so out of nowhere and isn't mentioned again. I think Jason showing up to save Batman makes a lot more sense, but because of the way it's presented - the character showing up for all of 3 seconds without any further comment - it made me think I had missed some dialogue earlier, or that it would be brought up again later. There's a reason that in any movie/TV show/whatever ever made, if something like that happens, there's at least a line or two of dialogue afterward to acknowledge that character's presence. That's just basic script writing.

Imagine if the Millenium Falcon showed up to the Death Star and saved Luke, but you never saw inside the cockpit and you never hear Han Solo's voice. Yeah it's pretty obvious what happened but it's pretty weird and jarring and leaves the viewer feeling like something is missing.

Beef Chief posted:

It is definitely out of nowhere, because he just disappears for the rest of the game and shows back up somehow knowing that Scarecrow planned to have him there and only to save him. There's nothing of him in the climax of the game, so the scene is pretty sporadic. It's obvious why he did it, it does happen really suddenly though and without warning. It's not even really a surprise so much as "Oh wait, he's still in the story?"

It's Batman. He doesn't say thank you. He doesn't offer his pals snappy one liners. There's not even that much space in the main story between the Arkham Knight leaving and entering Scarecrow's final hide out. Bats was in a pinch and needed a save, so Deus Ex Red Hood came to save the day. It's not like it was Superman or Flash where I'd go "What the gently caress is going on here?!" It was the most straight forward thing to happen after Batman got doped with fear toxin and spent the entire game hosed up.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

It's Batman. He doesn't say thank you.

Except he does, several times. One of them in the very same scene.

It's obvious what happened because it's the only thing that makes sense but it's just poor writing the way they did it. I'm not saying they should have done some facile Dexter style bullshit where the gun gets shot out of Scarecrow's hand and he says "What? The Arkham Knight, also known as Jason Todd, the former Robin who was tortured and killed by the Joker but actually not really? Why are you helping Batman? You spent the whole game wanting to kill him!" and then Jason gives a whole speech. But you don't just have a character appear out of nowhere to do a complete 180 and then never mention it again. It's lazy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Beef Chief posted:

"Someone's tracking you, sir." "I knew he'd come."

It's strongly hinted that it's about to happen, though there's a really long sequence in between. They should have put more time dedicated to him towards the end of the game, though.

But it's a really similar disappearance to what happens at the end of Captain America: Winter Soldier.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Except he does, several times. One of them in the very same scene.

It's obvious what happened because it's the only thing that makes sense but it's just poor writing the way they did it. I'm not saying they should have done some facile Dexter style bullshit where the gun gets shot out of Scarecrow's hand and he says "What? The Arkham Knight, also known as Jason Todd, the former Robin who was tortured and killed by the Joker but actually not really? Why are you helping Batman? You spent the whole game wanting to kill him!" and then Jason gives a whole speech. But you don't just have a character appear out of nowhere to do a complete 180 and then never mention it again. It's lazy.

He also repeatedly said Batman was his to kill and if he wanted to, i doubt he'd want to snipe him as he sat tied to a chair. Jason shot the gun out of scarecrows hand because Batman was not his to kill. I dunno if the Red Hood DLC addresses this but as fas as i was concerned he could still have a bit of a murder-on for Batman, just under the guise of the Red Hood rather than Arkham Knight

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through it would probably been a mirror match/similar to the Deathstroke fight, I would loved if they used HARDAC from the Animated Series and his robotic Batman clone.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kin posted:

He also repeatedly said Batman was his to kill and if he wanted to, i doubt he'd want to snipe him as he sat tied to a chair. Jason shot the gun out of scarecrows hand because Batman was not his to kill. I dunno if the Red Hood DLC addresses this but as fas as i was concerned he could still have a bit of a murder-on for Batman, just under the guise of the Red Hood rather than Arkham Knight

This makes me wonder if stuff was cut - that scene is really abrupt and as everyone has pointed out, it's kind of bogus that you never really fight Jason hand to hand. Maybe there was supposed to be another bit after you bag Scarecrow where you have more of a traditional showdown with Jason but that didn't make it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tim Drake should've had more of a role in the story considering how much Jason whines about him being replaced by Tim. If Bruce wasn't going to turn down those allegations, Tim should have.

• Locked thread