Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That looks really cool and I'm pretty jealous, but all I can think is "one little bump, and rangers are going everywhere".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Poison Mushroom posted:

That looks really cool and I'm pretty jealous, but all I can think is "one little bump, and rangers are going everywhere".

Its not too terribly unstable, and i just tried bumping it on purpose and they tend to fall backwards and are thus pretty easy to stand right back up again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stallion Cabana posted:

I have no idea where Ninninger is going after this episode.

It was never any question that Star Ninger would return later but given that he's in the summer movie it's pretty obvious he'll be back soon, and given that he seems to be on the Ninninger's side in the previews for it it seems like he's not going to ally with Kyuuemon for now anyway.

Poison Mushroom posted:

No matter, we'll help you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's my favorite time of the pre-rider reveal period, "lovely notebook drawings from people who have seen the costume"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kind of had a Ryuuki ish look?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

it's my favorite time of the pre-rider reveal period, "lovely notebook drawings from people who have seen the costume"

i guess those are both fakes, just some japanese dude doodling some poo poo

https://twitter.com/ryaid11/status/612980950083829760

here's hoping for some big rear end scary ghost face on the chest though

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Anyone know who's going to pick up the new ultraman series for fansubs if anyone? I know OT said they had no interest in it.

It looks kinda good to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Anyone know who's going to pick up the new ultraman series for fansubs if anyone? I know OT said they had no interest in it.

It does! And it's going to be at least 20ish episodes too

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Crunchyroll probably will, what with them already airing multiple Ultraman series.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Drive has been pretty drat good. Not great, but overall consistently decent. Similar to OOOs where the beginning is OK, but the run toward the end is solid.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

V-Men posted:

Drive has been pretty drat good. Not great, but overall consistently decent. Similar to OOOs where the beginning is OK, but the run toward the end is solid.

It's yet to have the meandering middle without purpose that OOOs suffered through, but the lack of a catastrophe this year could be blamed for that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's okay, Yakumo. I gave up on my lawnmower, too.

e: SHIN Tokusatsu Thread: A lawnmower is the pride of every Englishman.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 1, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, what exactly was the point in having Kinji (Starninger) leave last time if they were just going to bring him right back in the next episode?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

So, what exactly was the point in having Kinji (Starninger) leave last time if they were just going to bring him right back in the next episode?

It was kind of a funny joke, also implies he was using Surfermaru as a houseboat, which I think is the best part of that whole situation.

I still can't get over how much Yakumo loves mowing the lawn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's yet to have the meandering middle without purpose that OOOs suffered through, but the lack of a catastrophe this year could be blamed for that.
If there was a point to the middle of OOO, it was showing that the Greeed squabbling amongst each other like little kids is kind of their default state of being.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The Ninninger was really good, and Drive was also really good. It was a good Toku week. Star living on Surfermaru as a house boat and then just kind of chilling in the background while everyone else killed the Youkai was great, 'An Englishman's Pride is his lawnmower' was an amazing line, and Drive is also really tense.

The scene at the end of Ninninger was also hilarious because rather then like, mowing the Igasaki house, Yakumo apparently just takes his lawnmower out to random parks and mows the lawn there now. Unless that's a thing in Japan.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The Kanpai Senshi After V staff wants to crowdfund a season 3 and a movie. It was announced today, and they already have 700k yen as of this writing. Here's hoping they make it!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Star living on Surfermaru as a house boat and then just kind of chilling in the background while everyone else killed the Youkai was great

Kinji's hamburger progressively getting bites taken out of it as the shot cuts to the cockpit, even though he's wearing the helmet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shaezerus posted:

Kinji's hamburger progressively getting bites taken out of it as the shot cuts to the cockpit, even though he's wearing the helmet.

I didn't notice that, that's amazing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why did no one tell me that Dinosaur Corps Koseidon was a thing?

This show looks amazing! It's like every lovely dinosaur movie, but a tokusatsu series

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ignis posted:

The Kanpai Senshi After V staff wants to crowdfund a season 3 and a movie. It was announced today, and they already have 700k yen as of this writing. Here's hoping they make it!

I didn't know Japan had their own crowdfunding site now. Neat. Also, their goal is 3 Million yen (or about 24 thousand dollars!?).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ignis posted:

I'd prefer more Akibaranger to be honest but this is alright too. Do we know when the 2nd season of After V is starting yet?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Supposedly this Autumn. They've been announcing reruns to begin this month, so I'd wager they'd start with the new season sometime in October.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Larryb posted:

I'd prefer more Akibaranger to be honest but this is alright too. Do we know when the 2nd season of After V is starting yet?

I feel like the covered everything in seasons 1 and 2. I'm hoping for an AkibaRider to hit everything else.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Fooley posted:

I feel like the covered everything in seasons 1 and 2. I'm hoping for an AkibaRider to hit everything else.

I never knew I wanted this until now :allears:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Quincytbb posted:

I never knew I wanted this until now :allears:

Maybe they could even squeeze in a secondary rider so the can constantly bicker over Showa and Hesei...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fooley posted:

Agreed, the end of Season 2 was a decent cap-off to the series and I'd love an Akibaranger-esque show based on Kamen Rider seeing as there's a lot to make fun of in that franchise as well. Not sure how it would work though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Honestly I'd love an Akibaranger-esque show based on Kamen Rider as lord knows there's a lot to make fun of in that franchise as well. Not sure how it would work though.

Kamen Rider G?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well there is always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESQYPOLuOc

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fooley posted:

Maybe they could even squeeze in a secondary rider so the can constantly bicker over Showa and Hesei...

Oh my god now I definitely want this. Main Rider is the Showa one, and has a major issue with this outrageously flashy Heisei youth who shows up starting in the third episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys! I bring with me the gift of MORE OLDSCHOOL TOKUSATSU!

Shout Factory has just put Ultra Q and UltraSeven up for streaming! http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-q http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-seven

This is tremendous news for anyone who wants to explore the origins of Tokusatsu, as you don't get much earlier than Ultra Q, or much better than UltraSeven.

Ultra Q is a Twilight Zone styled series with more of a focus on giant monsters, and is the first from Tsuburaya. UltraSeven, who happens to be my favorite super hero of all, is kind of like what would happen if you mixed TOS Star Trek with super heroes, only with, usually, better effects.

I will warn, for UltraSeven, that it is not a tokusatsu like almost any other. UltraSeven generally valued the plot more than action, and Seven himself was a very no nonsense fighter- if a fight went on for more than a minute, it was because whatever he was fighting was really powerful. Some episodes feature next to zero UltraSeven action at all, focusing entirely on the human side of the conflict, and a lot of them could get into some heady territories. Most notably there is an episode that's straight up an allegory for the Cold War, from the unique perspective of Japan circa the 1960s.

If you've seen UltraSeven X, the format kind of works like that, only far better made. Some episodes are just fun adventure episodes, some are political intrigue and alien invasion stories, and a few rare ones are kaiju brawls.

The effects are dated due to when it was made, but no one can deny that the show was ambitious, and they're stellar when compared to its contemporary series Doctor Who and TOS Star Trek. So if you don't mind those, this is right up your alley.

Also Ultra Q's first episode has a dressed up Godzilla suit as the monster fighting a dressed up Rodan prop!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Plus, you can finally find out what Okkusenman keeps going on about.

Urutoraman, Urutoraman Seven~

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
So I started watching Ninninger and I'm up to episode 10, I really want to like the show but Takaharu makes it so hard :(. Why can't Kasumi be Red she's so much better than everyone else. I mean, the other non-Takaharu characters are good but not on Kasumi's level. Does it get any better aboout this?

Also, what's a good pre-Jetman sentai to watch? I'm leaning towards Maskman because I like the suit designs but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Ninninger has gotten a lot better lately. It's still not what I would call excellent but Taka no longer completely dominates every single episode.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
You can do what me and the missus did and forgo Nininger in favor of Kyoruger. Man, that was so good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something I'm enjoying about Ninninger is that there's a tangible sense of progress. The villains get smarter, and every time the team seems to have gotten it's act together they get pushed a bit harder. Come to think of it, that's a bit of a recurring theme with the Ninja Sentai since the Kakurangers and Hurricangers were a bunch of dinguses at first too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stanfield posted:

So I started watching Ninninger and I'm up to episode 10, I really want to like the show but Takaharu makes it so hard :(. Why can't Kasumi be Red she's so much better than everyone else. I mean, the other non-Takaharu characters are good but not on Kasumi's level. Does it get any better aboout this?

Also, what's a good pre-Jetman sentai to watch? I'm leaning towards Maskman because I like the suit designs but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Bioman is fantastic. It's just really drat good. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Maskman has fantastic suits, but it takes a few episodes to actually get going.

Liveman is very, very good if you want a good serious Sentai. It's likely the most serious Sentai has ever been and will ever be. It just has lovely giant robot fights because Holy poo poo they're short as hell. Not even short as in those UltraSeven fights I mentioned above, short as in "Maybe 30 seconds of new footage followed by the stock footage of the finisher."

Also UltraSeven is fantastic and wonderful. You know, throwing that out there. I even have a go to episode if you just want a big super hero episode!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ultra-seven/the-courageous-battle/5591d22869702d071cf5f700

This has a doofy looking robot monster, but everything else is fantastic about it. It's 25 minutes of classic super hero fun with a really inventive way of victory.

If you'd like other recommendations, I would be more than happy to give them!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Throwing in Sun Vulcan into the mix. It is exquisite.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Stanfield posted:

Seconding Sun Vulcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Seconding Sun Vulcan.

People really should have been taking those phone calls about fridges more seriously.

• Locked thread