Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Wait, I have that backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

:siren: Zach Jesse has received a lifetime ban from the DCI

Well this should be an interesting day on MTG Twitter.

It might be interesting if the response from the mtg libertarians wasn't extremely predictable. I would be more surprised if something unexpected happens

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its time to ban everyone with a criminal record. It is time for background checks for all competive rel. Vapers should be next as well.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sickening posted:

Vapers should be next as well.

No, Vapers should be first.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

GeneX posted:

He's a rapist, and I think an unrepentant one

The dude literally went to law school, wants to be an attorney, does huge amounts of volunteer work, and appears about as repentant as he could possibly be.

I mean its certainly still a relevant question of whether he should be welcome in the game but he's hugely repentant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

It might be interesting if the response from the mtg libertarians wasn't extremely predictable. I would be more surprised if something unexpected happens

The true irony of this being that wotc being able to ban whoever they feel like is a true free market at work.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's an overall policy change that he basically got swept in, basically, with regards to both making magic more welcoming for female players and making coverage better to watch for players. I mean, that's if we're all going with the assumption that he was banned for reasons external to playing magic. Maybe he also ran savage cheats, but like, I think the top ban time for someone cheating at the game is like 3 years so that's probably not it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This policy is going to catch some unfortunate people who have extenuating circumstances, which sucks, but that is probably going to be the minority. As a blanket rule it is more likely than not going to offset the minority unusual circumstances, and I am willing to bet exceptions can be made for them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The dude literally went to law school, wants to be an attorney, does huge amounts of volunteer work, and appears about as repentant as he could possibly be.

I mean its certainly still a relevant question of whether he should be welcome in the game but he's hugely repentant.

I literally knew nothing about him other than the rape case, and assumed that he was hated for not owning up to it. I was wrong, it seems.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

I like you LordSaturn.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, if the guy is as repentant for his actions as people say, then maybe this is unfair. The fact that he received a lifetime ban is telling about how Wizards and the people they answer to feel about sending a message.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm excited for the official WotC "these are the crimes that we will ban you for, and these are the crimes that you can go ahead and commit"

I know my privilege is showing here, but I'd be much more concerned about players with criminal records of theft.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its time to ban everyone with a criminal record. It is time for background checks for all competive rel. Vapers should be next as well.

I agree, Patrick Chapin should never be allowed in a magic tournament again

Ban Patrick Chapin

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I agree, Patrick Chapin should never be allowed in a magic tournament again

Ban Patrick Chapin

The only ban I would enjoy more than shufflegate.

I'm excited for the official WotC "these are the crimes that we will ban you for, and these are the crimes that you can go ahead and commit"

I know my privilege is showing here, but I'd be much more concerned about players with criminal records of theft.

I agree.

I can't help but chuckle in one day judges will be watching you pee in the cup to register for your next grand pri.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I feel a tinge of sympathy for the guy but lets be honest, we routinely strip people convicted of crimes of far more important rights than "playing at a magic tournament"

It just doesn't seem like banning a dude from Wizard Poker is a particularly grave injustice considering you know, he did in fact commit a pretty heinous crime.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So this guy gets a lifetime ban and the guy who literally threatened to rape a senior WOTC employee gets nothing. Ok.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My advice to players concerned about this action would be to not rape anyone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am not trying to call you out and I am not calling you a dummy but going "I know why they might be trying to protect a minority of players but I would much prefer if this was something that specifically benefited me" is why this is going to be such a poo poo storm when it doesn't need to be.

Recognizing that they're doing something for the minority players without having to look at it through the lens of "but what about me?" is the important thing here imo.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Nastier Nate posted:

I actually liked it. I was expecting some big naming ceremony too but this was cute, made alot of sense and it's not something that wizards does often.

It does make Gideon seem like Jared out of Silicon Valley though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

So this guy gets a lifetime ban and the guy who literally threatened to rape a senior WOTC employee gets nothing. Ok.

I get why you might have this reaction but you're basically stumping for "Well I guess we can never punish anyone until they do something worse than this guy" just because they mistakenly rescinded his punishment.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chill la Chill posted:

If the argument is "this guy's participation will make for worse publicity and less net participation as a whole" I think there is a strong argument that the actual physical sexual assaulter is more damaging than the one who just made threats.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Onmi posted:

to be fair, he probably has a heavy greek accent. So it's totally understandable, but I like this backstory. Kind of funny he's taught in control magic when he has none of those abilities. Though it does lock his card down good.

Gideon Jura was an all-star in control back in his RoE days. Forcing an enemy to not attack their intended target is very controlling.

My question is, which planeswalkers are we going to see in BFZ? Gideon, Sorin, Nissa, Chandra, Jace, Sarkhan are all involved in the Zendikar story and each one just had a new card in either Tarkir or Origins. That leaves us with probably a new Kiora and if I had to guess - a new Koth. A geomancer searching for new sources of power to defeat the eldrazi phyrexians would be right at home on Zendikar.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Has anyone been banned from magic that wasn't magic related?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

If the argument is "this guy's participation will make for worse publicity and less net participation as a whole" I think there is a strong argument that the actual physical sexual assaulter is more damaging than the one who just made threats.

Okay if we go by that criterion (altogether reasonable), where does narcotics vendor fall in terms of bad publicity?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm okay with Wizards banning literally anyone for literally any reason.

Sickening posted:

Has anyone been banned from magic that wasn't magic related?

A French player was banned for "jokingly" threatening to rape a Wizards staff member.

Another dude was banned for taking pics of guys' rear end cracks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

Both actually exist and I applaud you for your faith in humanity if you don't think there's people dumb enough to buy 100 copies of legion loyalists. It's just that it's way more fun to laugh at the cabal than people who do things reasonably.

Oh those people exist. But in a month when they have 42 Legion Loyalists and they've barely profited on the 2 playsets they did sell, hopefully they'll learn their lesson like I did with my Genesis Waves.

Those people are dumb and deserve to lose their money.

mcmagic posted:

I bought 50 @ 1.75. It's free money. Why wouldn't I?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There's no reason to be lovely about it dude.

It sucks that the game is as expensive as it is. I really do feel bad for people trying to play on a budget, and people like Fingers Mclongdong who are halfway into their playset of Horizon Canopies which have suddenly doubled in price, contrary to my previous post. But nobody is buying TCGPlayer out of these cards to drive the price up. #mtgfinance sucks for people who want to buy 4 Legion Loyalists and play goblins in modern and now have to pay $20 for them instead of $5. It has nothing to do with all of these modern lands/staples spiking. If anything, the few people who were sitting on their 40 Horizon Canopies and 50 Groves are selling them and helping keep the price down a little.

I honestly wish for nothing more than the reserve list to go away and for Wizards to sell any card directly to the customer for $X so that nothing would ever be too expensive, modern would die, and everyone could play legacy and vintage. I would be so happy if I could play pickup games of vintage or even legacy outside of MTGO or my store. But that's obviously never going to happen so here we are.

Ps Vintage is on the 19th. COME PLAY!

LordSaturn posted:

:agreed:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

rabidsquid posted:

I am not trying to call you out and I am not calling you a dummy but going "I know why they might be trying to protect a minority of players but I would much prefer if this was something that specifically benefited me" is why this is going to be such a poo poo storm when it doesn't need to be.

Recognizing that they're doing something for the minority players without having to look at it through the lens of "but what about me?" is the important thing here imo.

That's fair, and I didn't mean it in the sense of "I'd rather this benefitted me personally", I meant it in the sense of "By taking this action, Wizards is creating a situation where they'll have to decide exactly which crimes are worthy of banning, and I'm very surprised they'd be willing to do that." I get that they're doing it to create a safer environment, and I'm on board with that.

Murder? Probaby bannable. Assault, maybe? What about accidental manslaughter? Theft? Does it matter whether it's under 5K or over? People rob game stores and I've never heard of them being banned. A lot of parents drop their kids at FNM because they think it's a safe space, so should we ban convicted drug dealers? I can think of a few people who might protest that.

These are all questions that Wizards is going to have to answer now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Devor posted:

I would argue that wotc failing to adequately punish that dude who threatened Helene Bergeot has no bearing on further punishments they make for literally any reason.

That's fair, and I didn't mean it in the sense of "I'd rather this benefitted me personally", I meant it in the sense of "By taking this action, Wizards is creating a situation where they'll have to decide exactly which crimes are worthy of banning, and I'm very surprised they'd be willing to do that." I get that they're doing it to create a safer environment, and I'm on board with that.

Murder? Probaby bannable. Assault, maybe? What about accidental manslaughter? Theft? Does it matter whether it's under 5K or over? People rob game stores and I've never heard of them being banned. A lot of parents drop their kids at FNM because they think it's a safe space, so should we ban convicted drug dealers? I can think of a few people who might protest that.

These are all questions that Wizards is going to have to answer now.

I don't think there is a slippery slope of jurisdiction at all. Also fwiw none of the crimes you listed have lists you go on, it's not like there's a second degree manslaughter list or anything. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ban murderers and the justice system treats sexual assault differently from other crimes for a reason.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devor posted:

I'm still disappointed that they had a punishment for the other guy but then rescinded it. It's just remotely tangentially related but if they wanted a positive message they should also include a "you can't jokingly tweet about this poo poo and we'll take it seriously if you do" part.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zoness posted:

Okay if we go by that criterion (altogether reasonable), where does narcotics vendor fall in terms of bad publicity?

I would say less, because the community has already "digested" that information. I'd say that on the whole WOTC would view Chapin as a positive, with his book that SCG is always shilling, and general popularity. Maybe you can convince Chapin to get out there and really put this theory to the test.

Also why doesn't anyone care that Hillary Clinton caused Benghazi?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would certainly be sweating if I were Former Drug Lord, Patrick Chapin

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My advice to players concerned about this action would be to not rape anyone.

*in a big ol' conservative voice* slippery slopes

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
If they're going to take the side of "we will ban anyone who we feel compromises the safe space-ness of our events", then that's fine, but they're setting themselves up to have to answer a lot of really awkward questions when internet detectives start looking up each other's criminal records. And they've also implicitly established that online harassment is totally fine as long as the guy deserved it.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
put all rapists and ecstasy dealers to death, in magic,

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Chapin comparison would only be apt if there was a huge number of Magic players who bought loads of product and never participated in organized play because of a huge drug related sub-culture that was pervasive through every level of the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The Chapin comparison would only be apt if there was a huge number of Magic players who bought loads of product and never participated in organized play because of a huge drug related sub-culture.

Considering how I was approached several times at the Richmond modern GP and how high prices are lately, I would not be surprised if people started to regularly trade cardboard for coke.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The Chapin comparison would only be apt if there was a huge number of Magic players who bought loads of product and never participated in organized play because of a huge drug related sub-culture that was pervasive through every level of the game.

'casual play' and 'e-cigs' respectively

also what did chapin actually do, i know he sold molly but i have no idea at what scale

e: ahaha whoops a bit bigger than i thought

quote:

Chapin had supplied him with between 10,000 and 12,000 tablets of ecstasy in a twelve-month period, that he was supposed to obtain more ecstasy from a courier in Chapin’s 'organization' later that evening, that he owed Chapin $2,100 from the last purchase he had made...

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 2, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Are you saying there is a huge rape related sub-culture to magic? I am confused here.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I would be afraid of Patrick Chapin if I talked to the police :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Sickening posted:

Are you saying there is a huge rape related sub-culture to magic? I am confused here.

try being a woman in the community

• Locked thread