Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

My Macbook Pro won't update to 10.10.4, it's stuck in an endless loop of asking me to restart to download the update and then giving a pop up saying that available updates have changed.

Resetting the PRAM may help, but here's the combo update link if you want to try that instead.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

Resetting the PRAM may help, but here's the combo update link if you want to try that instead.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The update finished, but now i'm stuck loading into the OS after typing in my account password. Update not wanting to install should have been my first clue to just leave it alone. :cripes: The update went fine on my imac last night. I'm installing on a Macbook Air right now too and that's going smoothly so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The update finished, but now i'm stuck loading into the OS after typing in my account password. Update not wanting to install should have been my first clue to just leave it alone. :cripes: The update went fine on my imac last night. I'm installing on a Macbook Air right now too and that's going smoothly so far.

I hate to say it, but Internet install with a Time Machine restore may be your only recourse if the update is in some kind of half-installed state.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

I hate to say it, but Internet install with a Time Machine restore may be your only recourse if the update is in some kind of half-installed state.

All is well now. :) I don't know what was going on there, it was much slower then normal when updating. This is the non-retina 13" MBP and its hard drive is trash and slow, and that's probably why the update was so painfully slow. The imac and macbook air finished their updates with no issues.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Let me axe you brothers a question...

(or sisters, whatever...)

I have a nice fancy-free iMac Retina. Had it like 6 months now. Top options on the buildout.

Why come when I expand Youtube videos (usually 1080p) to full-screen it pauses for like 5-10 seconds and does nothing... THEN expands to full screen and then I find out the audio is out of sync.

Is this likely a driver/software issue? A Safari issue? A Youtube issue? A hardware limitation?

Just want to know if its something I can maybe fix, or a too bad, so sad, deal with it kind of thing...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Why come when I expand Youtube videos (usually 1080p) to full-screen it pauses for like 5-10 seconds and does nothing... THEN expands to full screen and then I find out the audio is out of sync.

Is this likely a driver/software issue? A Safari issue? A Youtube issue? A hardware limitation?
Are you still using Flash in TYOOL 2015?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I mean. If I am it's not out of some choice... How do I check/expunge/destroy/rebuild/get on with my life? :)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Well, I updated to 10.10.4 last night and I'm still having wireless networking issues.

It's kind of a weird problem to describe. My connection (either home wi-fi or tethering off my iPhone, usually the latter) will randomly stop working, but it'll go back to normal if I click on the Wi-Fi menu bar icon. I've been keeping a terminal window open running ping all day; I can tell when the connection stopped working when the pings start to time out, and when I click on the Wi-fi icon, I'll get a wave of old ping responses until it goes back to normal (shown in the attachment below).

My situation is probably unusual since I'm living in sub-Saharan Africa and my connections are slow and extremely high-latency. I'm going back to the US in a couple of weeks to see if my issues continue there.

Also, a couple of minor iTunes complaints:
  • iTunes still can't pause and resume iOS update downloads. If you pause the download and try to resume, it'll start over again. Not a huge issue under normal circumstances, but Apple downloads (iTMS, App Store) are super-slow for me here. I'm regularly able to hit 400-500KB/s download speeds on Steam, while iTMS or App Store downloads max out at about 60KB/s.
  • Apple Music should be smarter about using existing iTMS downloads/purchases for making recommendations. Under the "For You" tab, it recommends several albums that I've already 'purchased from iTMS. For the hell of it, when I tried to play one of these albums, iTunes began to stream it instead of playing the local copy on my computer.

edit: My normal pings are usually around 700 ms. I wasn't able to get a bigger screenshot, but in the instance below, the ping responses went from 55K ms back to the usual 700 ms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 1, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Youtube HTML5 player is still absolutely horrid and lacking in core functionality, for one…

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Youtube Dash player thingy is terribly annoying.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tippis posted:

The Youtube HTML5 player is still absolutely horrid and lacking in core functionality, for one…
Which functionality is missing? I've been using it for so long I have no clue what's gone now. And yeah it sucks.

Otherwise re: Feenix, I wonder if it the full screen transition is part of it. It tends to be kinda slow as poo poo feeling. Then again if you're using the Flash player I thought it did it as its own full screen overlay thing instead of OS X full screen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

Which functionality is missing? I've been using it for so long I have no clue what's gone now. And yeah it sucks.

Otherwise re: Feenix, I wonder if it the full screen transition is part of it. It tends to be kinda slow as poo poo feeling. Then again if you're using the Flash player I thought it did it as its own full screen overlay thing instead of OS X full screen.

My personal main annoyance has been its feeble attempts at full-screen behaviour. It was only a few months ago that it even began to be able to maintain fullscreen while going through a playlist, and it's still not really following any of the UI/UX standards that have been established (ironically, by the flash player). Its persistence and memory between sessions is also highly questionable.

It's basically just a beta product that they've pushed live, in true Google fashion, only a bit too soon to really work as a replacement for the old version. At least you can still feed it an older user agent string, and it'll serve up the old player… we'll see how long they'll allow that behaviour.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Use ClickToFlash or something to force videos to load using the OS native video player instead.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Does the HTML5 player still go no higher than 720p?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Triglav posted:

I've seen a 1080 option, at the least.

My favorite thing about the html5 player is that it takes a few seconds for it to actually play audio. A close runner-up is when it keeps "playing" past the end point of a video, so when you come back to a tab or whatever, it's at 15:05/4:37 or whatever.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

App Store was doing this to me over and over:

And I'd still end up with iTunes 12.1.2 installed. softwareupdate -i -a took care of it without any issue, though.

it's just very excited that there's a new version of itunes don't rain on its parade

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tippis posted:

My personal main annoyance has been its feeble attempts at full-screen behaviour. It was only a few months ago that it even began to be able to maintain fullscreen while going through a playlist, and it's still not really following any of the UI/UX standards that have been established (ironically, by the flash player). Its persistence and memory between sessions is also highly questionable.

that is pretty much the definition of edge case. not saying there aren't issues with it but it works fine the vast majority of the time, and even at its worst generally ends up equivalent to the flash player, or far better than the awful clunky feeling transition clicktoflash gives you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DigitalRaven posted:

I am only sorry discoveryd doesn't have a grave, because I wanted to piss on it.

It's in the same place they buried Bin Laden.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ever since the OS X update, my rMBP can't switch to the dGPU. Either gfxCardStatus stopped working with the update, or something is messed up, since I'm not seeing that flash when you're running Flux and it goes back to the default colour temp and then resets to the Flux one when it switches GPUs.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jeherrin posted:

Dear God; the new iTunes icon is a horror show.

Anything is better than the red abomination that was the previous one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

Ever since the OS X update, my rMBP can't switch to the dGPU.
Everything's working fine over here. Sounds like something weird with your setup. Try rerunning the combo update.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

gmq posted:

Anything is better than the red abomination that was the previous one.

Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
people gettin mad about icons itt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The blue one was good and blue is a soothing aspect whereas red is chaotic and angry. This current one is confused because it is both red and blue. It is disgusting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new iTunes logo is just further proof that Tim Cook is out of control. The downfall of Apple is near.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
sell all your stock now

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

that is pretty much the definition of edge case. not saying there aren't issues with it but it works fine the vast majority of the time, and even at its worst generally ends up equivalent to the flash player, or far better than the awful clunky feeling transition clicktoflash gives you

Eh. I wouldn't call fullscreen an edge case, but sure for most everyday uses, the player just sits in its window and plays its single, short, often interrupted cat video just fine. I'm also sure that, in a year or two, they'll have fixed the remaining issues just like how they slowly nibbled away at the previous ones. I'd still squarely point it to a good reason to use flash in TYOOL 2015, since it'll be TYOOL 2016 or 2017 before those last updates come through.

The only thing that makes it better than the flash player is that it doesn't use flash, which makes it better only in terms of some principle of purity. If clicktoflash makes a mess of things, then that doesn't really affect how poorly the HTML5 player works in comparison to the flash one — it just means the plugin is struggling with something (most likely with overcoming the bad player in question).

coldplay chiptunes posted:

people gettin mad about icons itt
It's a Mac thread. Aren't we obliged by law to be like that?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 2, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tippis posted:

The only thing that makes it better than the flash player is that it doesn't use flash, which makes it better only in terms of some principle of purity.

Purity? Nah. H.264 video in a HTML5 video player won't run your MacBook's battery down or make your fans sound like a jet spooling up. The exact same video file delivered via a Flash player will. Flash on the Mac is absurdly eager to burn CPU cycles for no discernible reason at all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

If you say so. Can't say that I've noticed that happening, though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

tuyop posted:

The blue one was good and blue is a soothing aspect whereas red is chaotic and angry. This current one is confused because it is both red and blue. It is disgusting.

I think because other round icons like the App Store and Safari and even Photos are 'white edge - coloured background - mostly white insert' and iTunes is opposite of that it just stands out.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Triglav posted:

The browser must offer Media Source Extensions (MSE) support for the codec in use. Google likes to use VP9 for 1080p or even 1080p60 videos, and AFAIK Safari does not supports VP9.

Firefox supports it but you must flip some internal config flags because they do not consider it stable enough. Chrome doesn't really have that problem because Google controls both ends so they just deployed what they know works in Chrome.

tl;dr On today's Internet you preferably still should use the software from the company that made the website. So Safari won't work, Firefox works a little, but you really want Chrome for YouTube.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tippis posted:

If you say so. Can't say that I've noticed that happening, though.

well, perception is reality after all

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

well, perception is reality after all

Nah, but it probably changes what is considered an “edge case” for any particular individual. For me, running full-screen is not an edge case, but watching youtube videos while on the go to such an extent that it makes any kind of marked difference on battery and cooling is.

Then again, the only thing that really makes the fan go on this MacBook is Wine, Carbonite, and (funnily enough) Activity Monitor when they go off the rails… :v:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to sort albums by date in the new Photos app? I just moved all my events out of the auto-imported "iPhoto Events" album and now they're in now discernible order. I'd really like to sort them reverse-chronologically, since that's 10+ years of events I'd have to go through and fix manually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zenostein posted:

I've seen a 1080 option, at the least.

My favorite thing about the html5 player is that it takes a few seconds for it to actually play audio.

Ahhh I thought this was just me!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why full screen on the web is so hard to do. Flash wants to pop up a "REMEMBER TO PRESS ESC TO GET OUT OF HERE LOL" for several seconds. Some players force me to hit a button saying yes, I actually want this to be full screen that hangs on top of the full screened content. HTML5 wants to be just incapable of showing full screen content. It's bizarre.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Almost like it should be difficult for arbitrary websites to take over your entire screen without any indication of what happened or how to reverse it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

How do I restart apple music scanning my local music? I had iTunes crash on my mac while it was scanning, and I don't see a way for it to restart.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

badjohny posted:

How do I restart apple music scanning my local music? I had iTunes crash on my mac while it was scanning, and I don't see a way for it to restart.
File>Library>[some iCloud Music option I'm unsure the name of because I turned iCloud Music off]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Maybe this belongs more in the iPad thread but has anyone had experience with the apps that let you use an iPad as a second display that can give me a rundown or any plusses/minuses of the ones they have used?

I wouldn't mind having something to have like twitch or irc on while I game and stuff like that.