Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao that the community who wants anyone it suspects of cheating banned for life deems a lifetime ban for an admitted rapist some sort of grave injustice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am fine with a witch hunt. I don't see anything wrong with banning sex offenders from wotc sponsored MTG events.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao that the community who wants anyone it suspects of cheating banned for life deems a lifetime ban for an admitted rapist some sort of grave injustice

There is something troubling about the defense of convicted sex offenders, yeah. Even in the unlikeliest of scenarios where it's a nice person wrongfully convicted pushing out that absolutely tiny and probably nonexistent minority is a small price to pay to make a real existing portion of the community and potential community feel safer and more welcome.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Ciprian Maricon posted:

rabidsquid posted:

I am fine with a witch hunt.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Also I hate that in cases like this it's so easy to dismiss arguments as "pro-rape." I'm not pro-rape, I don't think anyone here is pro-rape. I just think it's worryingly illiberal to be happy to define certain categories of people by their crimes. I am unhappy with current incarceration rates but I'm also unhappy with non-State actions, like unwillingness to hire convicts. The private sector contributes to to the stigmatization of convicts, so I don't think playing Magic is a civil right but I still don't like it as part of the larger social treatment of convicts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh man guys I sure love Magic: The Gathering.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sickening posted:

Great! Now how do you find all of them?

Yes, the only rules that should be created are ones that can be enforced 100% of the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

This is where my problem is. This guy wasn't banned because of WotC policy, he was found out because he was individually singled out after the fact. Banning him now makes it look like WotC is responding to the Internet mob, and that's a really bad precedent to set.
I am uncomfortable with internet lynch mobs, but I'd say I'm quite a bit more uncomfortable playing Magic against rapists.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't think you want to use crime ubiquity is a metric you want to use because more people traffic drugs than commit sex crimes by a pretty gigantic factor.

If my brother or mother died of an OD I sure as gently caress wouldn't be comfortable playing Chapin. Doubly so if one of them was killed by a dealer.

there's a big lindy west jezebel analogy about grain threshers and daniel tosh that goes on for a while but basically the gist of my argument was that a)the spectre of rape is basically omnipresent in womens' lives, cf. tonetta's stats, and b)systemic rape culture and general misconception of consent privileges rapists and hurts victims in a way that isn't analogous to other crimes.

People I've known and cared about have OD'd and I probably wouldn't want to play against chapin either! If someone I loved was killed by a dealer i probably wouldn't even wanna play at the same store, but these issues are unfortunately less related than people seem to be saying. Ubiquity is a poor metric on its own but contrasted with social mores the dialectic works.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The dude literally went to law school, wants to be an attorney, does huge amounts of volunteer work, and appears about as repentant as he could possibly be.

I mean its certainly still a relevant question of whether he should be welcome in the game but he's hugely repentant.

His thread on Reddit did not read like he was genuinely remorseful, more that he regretted getting caught and that it wasn't a big deal anyway.

There's also the whole fact that both his parents have major positions in the legal system of the jurisdiction where he was tried and he got a really sweet plea deal. In that case, I'm ok with what is the legal equivalent of a trust fund baby having someone finally say "no" to him.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also I hate that in cases like this it's so easy to dismiss arguments as "pro-rape." I'm not pro-rape, I don't think anyone here is pro-rape. I just think it's worryingly illiberal to be happy to define certain categories of people by their crimes. I am unhappy with current incarceration rates but I'm also unhappy with non-State actions, like unwillingness to hire convicts. The private sector contributes to to the stigmatization of convicts, so I don't think playing Magic is a civil right but I still don't like it as part of the larger social treatment of convicts.

my life was defined by some handsy rear end in a top hat when I was 12, what's the difference?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't 100% agree with it but I am ok with banning sex offenders from tournaments, or all felons, or whatever but I would just like WOTC to actually prepare a statement/policy when they do something that is inevitably going to create a shitstorm on the internet.

Also let the dude play MTGO

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I would be perfectly ok with a prerequisite for participating in non-online DCI sanctioned events being that you cannot currently be a registered sex offender. If you are found to be competing in non-online DCI sanctioned events you will incur a lifetime ban and are to be immediately ejected from the premises. I would like that policy to be required of all TO's and store owners who host DCI sanctioned events.

Wezlar posted:

Also let the dude play MTGO

I agree 100% with this.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Honestly the banning makes me feel like WotC actually actively cares about the wellbeing of their female players and I appreciate that. They have also been consistently churning out tons of badass female characters and it is refreshing.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Angry Grimace posted:

I am uncomfortable with internet lynch mobs, but I'd say I'm quite a bit more uncomfortable playing Magic against rapists.

:agreed: That's why Wizards should have a policy saying "if you are on a sex offender registry then you are banned from our game, and because of that we are banning this guy." Instead, they quietly banned him and hoped no one noticed, and now they're stuck trying to explain why without a real policy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bugsy posted:

New cards from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cPOPD48v4

Consul's Lieutenant W W (u)

Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
Renown 1 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes renowned.)
Whenever Consul's Lieutenant attacks, if it's renowned, other attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1

Suppression Bonds 3 W (c)

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant nonland permanent.
Enchanted permanent can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.

Ampryn Tactician 2 W W (c)

Creature - Human Soldier
When Ampryn Tactician enters the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

Kytheon's Tactics 1 W W (c)

Sorcery
Creatures you control get +2/+1 until end of turn.
Spell Mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, those creatures also gain vigilance until end of turn. (Attacking doesn't cause them to tap.)

Anchor to the Æther 2 U (u)

Sorcery
Put target creature on top of its owner's library. Scry 1.

Calculated Dismissal 2 U (c)

Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, scry 2.

Akroan Sergeant 2 R (u)

Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
Renown 1 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes renowned.)
2/2

Call of the Full Moon 1 R (u)

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+2 and has trample.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, sacrifice Call of the Full Moon.

Guardian Automaton 4 (c)

Artifact Creature - Construct
When Guardian Automaton dies, you gain 3 life.
3/3

Sigil of Valor 2 (u)

Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each other creature you control.
Equip 1

Reprints:

Knightly Valor

Bone to ash

Screeching skaab

Totem guide Haartebeast

Sigiled Starfish :swoon:

Re posting for the next page since rape chat is going so fast.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Is it really that hard to see how removing sexual offenders from playing competitively in MTG is not the place to air out your personal beliefs about felons treatment in the US. It's being dismissive of sexual assault as being a worse and more relevant felony to the general population of a subsect of stigmatized members of the community

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tonetta posted:

my life was defined by some handsy rear end in a top hat when I was 12, what's the difference?

Not everyone who experiences the same trauma processes it the same way. What happened to you was horrible but it does not give you the right to dictate to others how to respond to similar situations, nor the right to impose what you admit to be an injustice on others.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I feel like asking for there to be an implementation of a broad set of rulings on all possible felonies is trying to couch a defense of this particular instance in a set of logical argument as a way of defending outrage and the slippery slope.

Even if it isn't that, it looks like you're trying to argue that wotc is being unfair to a sex offender.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

No one in this thread said you were pro-rape and in fact you are the only person in the whole thread to use the term "pro-rape".

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
With all of the neat enchantment stuff coming out I wish they would reprint the totem armor cards :3:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Can we pause rape chat for a just a mo' to acknowledge that a Sigiled Starfish reprint is awesome?

I loved drafting UG in full-block Theros and I can't wait to draft this set now.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hmmm yes, Wizard Poker is the appropriate context to make a stand about the difficulties of felons and problems with our judicial system.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I also agree that the problem here is the quiet, targeted nature of this ban. Wizards needs an official policy to govern these issues.

Also I'm not sure that there's any justification for seizing the guy's MTGO account based on what we know.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I feel like asking for there to be an implementation of a broad set of rulings on all possible felonies is trying to couch a defense of this particular instance in a set of logical argument as a way of defending outrage and the slippery slope.

Even if it isn't that, it looks like you're trying to argue that wotc is being unfair to a sex offender.

I do think WOTC is being unfair to a sex offender. I think they're being unfair in a very common way that is generally accepted by society at large but I still think they're being unfair. I am not willing to compromise my stance on treatment of offenders just because it occasionally leads me to uncomfortable positions.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not everyone who experiences the same trauma processes it the same way. What happened to you was horrible but it does not give you the right to dictate to others how to respond to similar situations, nor the right to impose what you admit to be an injustice on others.

lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tonetta posted:

i realize that you are a cis white man but there is this thing called the sex offenders' list you can check out on the internet.

Thanks for the CIS thing you idiot.

rabidsquid posted:

You get added to a sex offender registry when you're convicted of a sexual assault crime.

I don't think sexual crimes are all equal and all get you on the registry. It appears that aggravated sexual battery only gets you on the registry in Virginia if the person was under 13.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anchor to the Aether is such a waste of a good card name :smith:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

we know he's a convicted rapist what else do you want?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
A rapist is not an unfortunate soul that made a mistake, they deliberately commit actions that cause permanent emotional trauma. I don't feel bad for rapists when they have to join a sex offender registry, have a hard time finding jobs, and I especially don't feel bad that they aren't allowed to play a children's card game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Without a set policy in place they ARE being unfair to him. If this is to be the policy going forward, great, I am in %100 support. But just banning him, and him alone, without having a policy to reflect that is unfair to him and casts doubt on the ability of Wotc to be even-handed.

I WANT HIM BANNED, but to single him out instead of anybody else, for no admitted reason, is actually unfair and speaks ill of Wizards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Why does wotc need to issue a statement covering all possible felonies and the way they relate to your ability to continue playing organized MTG?

Also if you think this is a targeted ban I don't know what to tell you. They made the ruling because the situation came up, not out of any direct hatred of Zach Jesse John Bill

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Bugsy posted:

that red aura is real good and im happy to see good white auras to go with the enchantment matters cards.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dude vaginally and anally raped a girl who was blackout drunk laying across a dorm room toilet. Then he wrote a big reddit post that was basically "yeah I did a bad, but look what an awesome guy I am now" full of patting himself on the back. The only reason he's not in prison right now is because he took a plea deal that was likely only offered so his victim wouldn't have to be dragged through a full trial.

That's great he does a bunch of charity now and hasn't raped anyone else but also gently caress him.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Anchor to the Aether is such a waste of a good card name :smith:

Its Time ebb with a scry on it. But yeah a cool name for a not so great card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Calculated Dismissal 2 U (c)

Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, scry 2.

Could Calculated Dismissal be good enough for Standard play? You really want your 3-mana counters to be hard counters, but scry 2 is really really good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bugsy posted:

I like how a bunch of these mechanics play around with the mechanics of the sets they came in like the Exalted equipment and the Transform-trigger aura.

Entropic posted:

Could Calculated Dismissal be good enough for Standard play? You really want your 3-mana counters to be hard counters, but scry 2 is really really good.
It probably is. I strongly dislike that kind of card for the same reason I don't like Dissolve. Scrying takes away one of the main weaknesses in a control deck by giving it consistency.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone not think that wotc should just announce that they're not welcoming rapists because I think what's bothersome is their delivery/handling here. I mean reason 1 is to avoid the rape discussion which obviously is the prudent course of action but like it's pretty obvious they couldn't avoid it and the banning certainly seems to imply that they're going with that kind of policy which is fine just weird to not announce.

rabidsquid posted:

Why does wotc need to issue a statement covering all possible felonies and the way they relate to your ability to continue playing organized MTG?

Also if you think this is a targeted ban I don't know what to tell you. They made the ruling because the situation came up, not out of any direct hatred of Zach Jesse John Bill

It's not a statement covering all felonies it would be a statement saying "if you're on this publicly known list gently caress off".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

Without a set policy in place they ARE being unfair to him. If this is to be the policy going forward, great, I am in %100 support. But just banning him, and him alone, without having a policy to reflect that is unfair to him and casts doubt on the ability of Wotc to be even-handed.

I WANT HIM BANNED, but to single him out instead of anybody else, for no admitted reason, is actually unfair and speaks ill of Wizards.

I don't think being the first high profile convicted sex offender in MTG is something that is unfair for being singled out for.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hahaha holy poo poo stop talking you retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Dude vaginally and anally raped a girl who was blackout drunk laying across a dorm room toilet. Then he wrote a big reddit post that was basically "yeah I did a bad, but look what an awesome guy I am now" full of patting himself on the back. The only reason he's not in prison right now is because he took a plea deal that was likely only offered so his victim wouldn't have to be dragged through a full trial.

That's great he does a bunch of charity now and hasn't raped anyone else but also gently caress him.

Most plea deals in rape cases are trying to protect the victim from the trauma of having to testify in graphic detail in front of strangers, and rapists get really good plea deals for it, and yet they're still not allowed to compete for t8 pins???

• Locked thread