Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Bluefin is the best Tower Control map we've seen so far. The maps all have a gauntlet towards the end of the track where you're exposed and at a disadvantage to the enemy respawn point, but that area feels the most well-balanced on Bluefin. And the choice between the left lane (defense) and right lane (offense) is interesting.

I can't imagine Port Mackerel being any good for this mode. Kelp Dome could get really intense with the catwalks. Blackbelly could be interesting, because the tower's going to be easily accessible for both teams to attack/defend no matter where on the map it is.

Arowana will once again probably be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It was in rotation earlier and I thought it was fine. Saltspray is actually the worst yet by far.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

Yeah, the only point in killing the other team is to try to slow them down to prevent them from winning. The actual point of Splatoon is spraying ink on things to claim them.

always go for kills, all painting the map does is enable you to kill them better so might as well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Supercar Gautier posted:

It was in rotation earlier and I thought it was fine. Saltspray is actually the worst yet by far.

That's probably true. As soon as I heard it circles the bottom half of the map, I knew those platforms would be awful since not only is the offense team pinned down with little maneuverability, but so is the defense team, though the defense presumably gets a huge advantage by having an unassailable jumping off point with good views of most of the entire track the enemy is running down?

There's really no way to play that than meat grinder.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Have they said how often they're going to cycle around gamemodes in ranked? As often as they cycle maps?

EDIT: Assuming of course that we're just focusing on Tower at the moment because its new.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tower Control rules but I'd really prefer another playlist to having them rotate. Not being able to do splatzones is just dumb.

I assumed the playlist would be both originally, the way you switch between two maps. This way does make sense too, you know what you're getting into... but we need another playlist.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Bean posted:

Okay, fashion advice time. I want mine sniffer and fast respawn for tower control. Everything I find with these two abilities is hideous, though. Mine Sniffer comes on these yellow shoes, which are only mildly offensive. Fast respawn comes on the camo hoodie, which, no, and the newbie shirt, which is, like, I'm level 20, why the hell am I wearing the newbie shirt?

I eventually found it on the backwards hat, which Spike is mugging for me tomorrow, but I hate to give up my camp hat. Do either of these two abilities come on anything else I can be looking for?

A completed clothing guide cannot come out for this game fast enough. I'm tempted to edit the wiki myself if some turbo nerd wouldn't undo all my work.

The Pro Trail Boots look good
http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Pro_Trail_Boots

Man that Tower in the middle of the block save me from 2 Suction Bombs and a Ink Mine. I was even able to dance around it to block enemy fire.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

always go for kills, all painting the map does is enable you to kill them better so might as well.

Technically the kills don't matter because the game scores you on claimed turf, not kills.

I'm not saying "don't go for kills" but some guy upthread is confused about why ranked mode isn't rewarding him for being a killing machine when he's not on the winning team.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

oopsie rock posted:

Technically the kills don't matter because the game scores you on claimed turf, not kills.

I'm not saying "don't go for kills" but some guy upthread is confused about why ranked mode isn't rewarding him for being a killing machine when he's not on the winning team.

See I don't think that's the crux of his argument per se. I think he realizes that killing alone isn't good enough, but it does count for a lot in Tower Control considering it keeps the other team down a player for several seconds. But that's just it: you can do a good job keeping the enemy down players, but if the rest of your team isn't even there to retake and hold the tower because they're off special farming or shooting up the enemy base while the tower is over in yours, your rank suffers anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Lag on tower control is incomprehensible. It's almost amazing if it wasn't so sad...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fooley posted:

I managed to get all the same on one of my headphones just by chance, but I have no doubt there are people who min-max.

I forget the main ability but the subs are all special duration, so it really only helps (even thought sub abilities are negligible, right>) when I'm using the Krak-On roller.

3 sub abilities add up to one main

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Tower Control rules but I'd really prefer another playlist to having them rotate. Not being able to do splatzones is just dumb.

I assumed the playlist would be both originally, the way you switch between two maps. This way does make sense too, you know what you're getting into... but we need another playlist.

Nah

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

I don't need the game to tell me I'm a winner

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If you're playing splatoon you're already a winner :shobon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cat Machine posted:

It ain't Team Deathmatch bro

And yet kills is the only stat they track in ranked on the results screen.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Bean posted:

Okay, fashion advice time. I want mine sniffer and fast respawn for tower control. Everything I find with these two abilities is hideous, though. Mine Sniffer comes on these yellow shoes, which are only mildly offensive. Fast respawn comes on the camo hoodie, which, no, and the newbie shirt, which is, like, I'm level 20, why the hell am I wearing the newbie shirt?

I eventually found it on the backwards hat, which Spike is mugging for me tomorrow, but I hate to give up my camp hat. Do either of these two abilities come on anything else I can be looking for?

A completed clothing guide cannot come out for this game fast enough. I'm tempted to edit the wiki myself if some turbo nerd wouldn't undo all my work.

Here's the better wiki: http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/List_of_gear_in_Splatoon

If you don't want to give up the camping hat, there's the Tricolor Rugby and the White Striped LS for Quick Respawn.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Tricolor_Rugby
http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/White_Striped_LS

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Bruceski posted:

so that's a total of 24 losses and 18 wins. Sounds close to 50% winrate to me. Ranking doesn't care about MVP, just who won the match.
I do end up around 50%, I'm just surprised how often it comes through massive win streaks/lose streaks. I'm not confused about how ranked mode works, I'm confused at how long (10+ matches) stretches of bad teams/good teams happen through the matchmaking since it seems like a statistical improbability. It's possible no one else knows what I'm talking about because I've just had weird luck, though. Basically: I'm wondering why my rank fluctuates like crazy even though I perform consistently well.

Cat Machine posted:

It ain't Team Deathmatch bro
I know, but in both ranked modes splatting the enemy has a lot to do with how well you complete the objective. I rarely see ranked matches where a team significantly leads in kills but still loses -- usually when that happens it's because most of that kill lead came from a sniper (which, unlike a lot of weapons where most of your kills happen near the objective, has the possibility that the player is focusing too little on the objective).

Anyway I got up to A- last night after a +20.5 SO HAWT streak so that's cool.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 2, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tower control on the Saltspray Rig is pretty chaotic. And you could just say half of the map doesn't even exist. But it's awesome when you manage to push the tower to their goal by sheer willpower alone, considering you're more or less vulnerable on all sides.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does anyone play without motion controls on? They're really disorienting and annoying. And kinda too sensitive.

Also, does any of my character progression in single player carry over into MP? Or is it just gear and stuff?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does anyone play without motion controls on? They're really disorienting and annoying. And kinda too sensitive.

Also, does any of my character progression in single player carry over into MP? Or is it just gear and stuff?

A friend of mine does, because he gets really active when he plays shooters. I tried it without, and it was the worst.

And only the Hero/Octo gear carries over.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think most people in the thread play with motion controls. It's awkward at first but after you get used to it, it's way more accurate than sticks.

Singleplayer character progression is separate from multiplayer except for the gear you unlock from beating bosses.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I just presume those that I splat don't use motion controls. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I tried my hardest but I absolutely could not get used to motion controls no matter how much I used them. I think my hands are too twitchy for them too work for me. I can't keep the controller held steady so my camera is constantly jerking around.

Some weapons can only be unlocked by completing various parts of the SP campaign. Also once you beat the final boss you unlock two sets of gear you can't get elsewhere.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some of us have managed to become splat-masters with the twin sticks :)

You can get good at either method with enough practice but the motion controls just really really annoy me and hurt my wrists. If they ever re-activate the y-axis I will revisit them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I found motion controls to be awkward at first but tried playing through the last half of the campaign with them for practice and I can never go back. I also found lowering the sensitivity of the right stick helps too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah all you guys saying motion controls are too twitchy really ought to turn the sensitivity down.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Huh, I'll keep an eye out for that white striped LS. I think the rugby shirts tend to look like Chris Chan couture. Thanks.

And thanks for the Inkipedia link, this is way better.

I play twin stick, because I curl up to play video games and can't be assed to move my hands.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else think the bubbler is somewhat OP in this mode? Being able to make your entire team invincible and still push the cart is a massive advantage.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can push bubbles around, though. I once threw a single sprinkler that instantly forced three bubbled players off the tower in all directions. I also pushed one into the water on Arowana Mall. Get dunked, bubbles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If you're playing splatoon you're already a winner :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TICjEsvC8o

Splat zones are totally cancelled, and all other events are pending.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From Nintendo's investor meeting: sales of Splatoon have outperformed Nintendo's expectations for it being a non-series title.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thank you Satan

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

People who sit at the back and snipe in tower are the worst

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Little_wh0re posted:

People who sit at the back and snipe in tower are the worst

Charger players are the worst in every mode. Nothing fills me with more dread than seeing 3 chargers on my team.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lemming posted:

Thank you Satan

Those orphans were put to good use.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
JFC, I just saw my husband try to play a game of tower control on Blackbelly Skatepark. I love that level, but that poo poo is impossible for tower control. Like, if that's up in the rotation, pick turf war.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bean posted:

JFC, I just saw my husband try to play a game of tower control on Blackbelly Skatepark. I love that level, but that poo poo is impossible for tower control. Like, if that's up in the rotation, pick turf war.

It sounds like what you meant to say was play it and use the dynamo roller

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
gently caress that stupid weapon. Also the krakon roller.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
People do know you can jump to other squids right? I just lost a game that should have been won. We were at 15. I was only one on the tower. Everyone else died. Figured we're hosed since I can't hold off all 4 by myself. Then I looked down to see if reinforcements were close. NOPE. All 3 were in the same corner circlejerking it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think people do know you can do it, but they don't really think of doing it except at respawn.

• Locked thread