Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

my favorite part is that lennart would rather use servers he's expressly told to not use than just ask the ntp pool if they can use theirs even if they're not a "vendor" or "distribution"

it's okay to admit you made a wrong decision lennart, your whole reality won't come crumbling down

otoh developing software to use computer resources you've been told not to use is unethical if not illegal

yeah -- bit of cognitive dissonance required to ship software and then claim literally anyone else is responsible for using the default settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
no you see they're called vendor thingummies and if you look up "vendor" in the dictionary you'll see it clearly says etc ergo it's not even worth thinking about doing the obvious right thing qed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

Google didn't tell them not to use them, they said it isn't a good idea because they don't have any reliability guarantees and also keep Google time instead of UTC.

His response was:

1) systemd isn't a vendor and can't sign up for a NTP vendor pool, and all the vendors that build products using systemd have already registered their own NTP vendor pools and configured their systemd builds to use them
2) patches to the configure script to complain if you don't specify your own NTP pool servers would be applied
3) the Google NTP servers are good enough for regression tests and nobody's suggested a better alternative

but y'all can keep importing reddit drama for no reason

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
the best one is

"i'm gonna register a vendor pool for you"

uh

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Google didn't tell them not to use them, they said it isn't a good idea because they don't have any reliability guarantees and also keep Google time instead of UTC.

His response was:

1) systemd isn't a vendor and can't sign up for a NTP vendor pool, and all the vendors that build products using systemd have already registered their own NTP vendor pools and configured their systemd builds to use them
2) patches to the configure script to complain if you don't specify your own NTP pool servers would be applied
3) the Google NTP servers are good enough for regression tests and nobody's suggested a better alternative

but y'all can keep importing reddit drama for no reason

you seem really mad :ohdear:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

:ironicat:

"Please change systemd's default time servers to some service that is designed to provide a reliable public NTP service."

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

His response was:

1) systemd isn't a vendor and can't sign up for a NTP vendor pool

so what does the pool.ntp.org page mean when it says that vendor pools are suitable for anyone distributing software and that open source projects are particularly welcome to sign up for one?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

so what does the pool.ntp.org page mean when it says that vendor pools are suitable for anyone distributing software and that open source projects are particularly welcome to sign up for one?

linux font rendring is so bad it reads like "LENNART POETTERING THIS MEANS NOT YOU, YOU CANNOT USE THESE FREE PUBLIC NTP SERVERS, YOU MUST INSTEAD USE SOME CORPORATE ONES YOU JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO USE"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

what "work" would you be doing in a Linux?

writing software for linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

basically everything that isn't email, web browsing, and occasionally reluctantly doing something in office because some technophobe is so terrified of pdfs that i can't just use latex

lol @ doing something in office in 2015

the only useful office component is excel, and that's not relevant to my job function

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gdocs generally suits my officey needs but ive never used fancy macros or anything on msoffice

and the mutual fund lookup stuff in gdocs is handy for the spreadsheet i made for rebalancing

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ doing something in office in 2015

the only useful office component is excel, and that's not relevant to my job function

I received a bug report that contained a single screenshot embedded in a docx a couple of days back. This was from another developer. We make a Linux.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ZShakespeare posted:

I received a bug report that contained a single screenshot embedded in a docx a couple of days back. This was from another developer. We make a Linux.

looollll

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ZShakespeare posted:

closed: WONTFIX

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

writing software for linux

why aren't you using VMs hosted on the world's most advanced operating system

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

apple doesn't make rackmount ipads

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

hard to find palm hardware these days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

hard to find palm hardware these days

the only good palm products ran linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

hello gentlemen. while i dont normally evangelize for apple i would like to point out that apple osx 10.10 yosemite has hypervisor.framework, which is potentially a real 'game changer' in the industry. its not an exaggeration to say that osx is now the most advanced virtualization operating system

http://www.pagetable.com/?p=764

https://github.com/mist64/xhyve

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

hello gentlemen. while i dont normally evangelize for apple i would like to point out that apple osx 10.10 yosemite has hypervisor.framework, which is potentially a real 'game changer' in the industry. its not an exaggeration to say that osx is now the most advanced virtualization operating system

http://www.pagetable.com/?p=764

https://github.com/mist64/xhyve

except, of course, for where it is a huge exaggeration to say that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
enterprise grade virtualization, built on a solid UNIX foundation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

enterprise grade virtualization, built on a solid UNIX foundation

nothing apple does is enterprise grade

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fly away troll

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

hello gentlemen. while i dont normally evangelize for apple

:coolspot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

nothing apple does is enterprise grade

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

nothing apple does is anything grade

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

of course, apple can't do enterprise. only top notch quality assured software from microsoft and the cohesive, non-fractured peer-reviewed open source linux are acceptable in the enterprise environment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lets look at the facts idiots

osx, today, comes out of the box with a robust virtualization framework. thats every mac with yosemite.

windows? who even knows what versions come with hyper-v? do you need windows server ultimate?

and linux well. lol. you have the choice of downloading a modified kernel with xen, and managing all its horrible deps. or kvm. or lxc. or docker. or rkt. or openvz. or.. well now you need to hire a fat stinky guy to manage it all

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why would someone want to hire you, an OSX admin, for their lunix box?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why would someone hire an expert in an advanced UNIX system to manage their hobbyist, non-POSIX compliant clone os? there are many reasons, but all would be far beyond your comprehension

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

we'll list them anyway

number 1: you smell like a deep fryer irl

pram
Jun 10, 2001
deeply ironic accusations coming from self avowed desktop linux users lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
haha, actually, you're the one who smell- wait hold on gotta jiggle my hand rolled xconfig file

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

linux is cool

i mean mostly cause everything else is way worse

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

pram posted:

why would someone hire an expert in an advanced UNIX system to manage their hobbyist, non-POSIX compliant clone os? there are many reasons, but all would be far beyond your comprehension

woosh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

linux is great for embedded devices, servers and in VM instances that have the toolchains for them set up

shame about embedded toolchains always giving setup instructions for a ubuntu LTS instead of something that actually has long term support like rhel though

pram
Jun 10, 2001

yeah idiot i really missed the 'dont sign your posts' joke. gtfo my sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i unironically want a new os to shake up the space, but the only way that will happen is if it appeals to hn-types who dont understand computers so it will be some node/container poo poo