Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they're goin up all over santa clara county, including san jose p heavily and in ramp meters along several major highways

tho in all instances they're replacing loop detectors - we're not putin in any new lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

it'll be funny to see whatever quaint rich town you're installing this in rebel against actual data

"we could redesign this awful intersection but adding a stoplight raises some concerns about the character of our lovely exburb I'm trying to pretend is an actual community"

when they added the first stoplight in fairfax there were actual protests because they were proud of previously not having any

you do a different thing to install a signal where there wasn't one before - you've gotta meet signalization warrants and write a report and stuff it's p involved

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

this ones for you hph

https://www.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/3bwayo/screwed_by_penndot_anyone_work_in_murrysville/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

[removed]

:(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol i was like "how bad can pittsburgh be" and clicked on the "seeking place for foreign exchange students" post and sure enough top 5 is "HOW ABOUT THE AMERICAN STUDENTS FIRST EHHHHHHH"

lol

Apr 7, 2003

yeah, /r/Pittsburgh is a cesspool.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

yeah, /r/Pittsburgh is a cesspool.

mlyp (much like your pittsburgh)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh is a cesspool.

Apr 7, 2003

actually, it's good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lmao

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
has anyone said shittsburgh? no? am i the first?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SAN FRANCISCO – Yelp shares were not getting good reviews from investors on Thursday.

They were down 11% in midday trading after a published report that the company has decided not to pursue a sale in the immediate future.

Trading was halted at about 12:50 p.m. ET and reopened about 10 minutes later.

Despite interest from several potential acquirers, Yelp is not pursuing a deal at this time, people familiar with the situation told Bloomberg.

Yelp may pursue a deal again if co-founder and CEO Jeremy Stoppelman changes his mind, the report said.

Yelp spokeswoman Kristen Titus declined comment.

“We don’t comment on speculation or rumor,” she said.

Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal reported in May that Yelp had hired an investment bank. Yelp was considering a sale after receiving takeover interest.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is yelp the one that shakes down companies to remove bad reviews

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fits my needs posted:

if there are software engineers then can I become a healthcare engineer?

most people call those bureaucrats

doctors shall hereby be referred to as "health engineers"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pointsofdata posted:

ahem, those were :airquote:rogue:airquote: sales people

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

mlyp (much like your pittsburgh)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

As a Millennial I posted:

how did they manufacture the first microprocessor anyway. this is some chicken and egg poo poo

first you make a lathe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

qirex posted:

it'll be funny to see whatever quaint rich town you're installing this in rebel against actual data

"we could redesign this awful intersection but adding a stoplight raises some concerns about the character of our lovely exburb I'm trying to pretend is an actual community"

when they added the first stoplight in fairfax there were actual protests because they were proud of previously not having any

was this fairfax, ca or fairfax, va? my parents were apparently instrumental in getting the one in fairfax, ca added. that intersection is poo poo enough with a stoplight

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's an area of each approach to a signalized intersection called the dilemma zone

instead of using a timer and traffic statistics and math to determine how long the yellow phase should be set for a light, these radar detectors can calculate it on the fly for each car (and adjust yellow times accordingly) which improves red light running and the crash rate, particularly rear enders

How about a stoplight that turns green to let me through because I am in a hurry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

was this fairfax, ca or fairfax, va? my parents were apparently instrumental in getting the one in fairfax, ca added. that intersection is poo poo enough with a stoplight

the one in marin county

I bet that parking lot is still a weed spot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

How about a stoplight that turns green to let me through because I am in a hurry

turn green any time the camera sees a pos meme on a bumper sticker

yes, even if there's already cross traffic

especially if there's already cross traffic

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but don't worry; city and private traffic engineers only want to persistently track your car in order to determine trip generation patterns and local traffic peaks and to sell to data collection companies for a little extra scratch

apparently there are a bunch of rather shady companies which will pay tow truck operators to equip all their trucks with automated plate scanners. if they hit on a car with a repo order the driver gets a finder's fee but otherwise they just make a massive database of plate numbers and locations which they then sell off access to.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

pointsofdata posted:

yelp merely lets business owners make reviews invisible to everyone but the author and their 'friends' on yelp. totally legit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

qirex posted:

the one in marin county

I bet that parking lot is still a weed spot

Dude the entirety of Fairfax is a "weed spot."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

you'll want a vehicle-mount traffic signal preemption system then

first you'll hafta figure out what type your local municipality uses (there are lotsa different methods - infrared is popular) and then pretend to be an EMS company and order one - should be under half a grand

sometimes they even catch people who do this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you'll want a vehicle-mount traffic signal preemption system then

first you'll hafta figure out what type your local municipality uses (there are lotsa different methods - infrared is popular) and then pretend to be an EMS company and order one - should be under half a grand

sometimes they even catch people who do this

sweet, i can hide my felony lamp inside a driving light housing and nobody will ever know unless they look at me while i'm going through an intersection

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
only a 2k fine? Many people would consider that worth the cost of transportation for sure.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The MIRT is perfect for under cover police use.

No visible light is emitted! That means that through the exclusive use of Infrared Transmission you will completely blend in with all other traffic, yet be able to safely control intersections!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The MIRT is perfect for under cover police use.

No visible light is emitted! That means that through the exclusive use of Infrared Transmission you will completely blend in with all other traffic, yet be able to safely control intersections!

i have a lead sulfide IR camera. I bet I could take cool videos of fire trucks and police settin' this off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The model 3065B coded programmable cordless emitter operates from a built-in light weight battery and gives you complete freedom of movement to test and study optical preemption system detector installations. The 3065B has a range of 2500 feet and is rechargeable from 110VAC. The 3065B is molded from high impact plastic and includes on-off switch.

The 3065B can be programed to emit any TOMAR code on either emergency band or transit band using the 3065-PROGCAB cable and software.

An optional visible light filter can be added to make emitter operation invisible.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

why is facebook so institutionally austistic?

dun dun dunnnnn

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i watched the first episode of "silicon valley" recently and my strongest response was that the show did not poo poo on ~*~the tech industry~*~ nearly as hard as it could or should have

dont worry - it gets better

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

ahem, those were :airquote:rogue:airquote: sales people

The main estate agent rating website in the UK sells premium accounts which let's agents correct "accidental" one star reviews.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

dun dun dunnnnn

shaggar repellant

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The model 3065B coded programmable cordless emitter operates from a built-in light weight battery and gives you complete freedom of movement to test and study optical preemption system detector installations. The 3065B has a range of 2500 feet and is rechargeable from 110VAC. The 3065B is molded from high impact plastic and includes on-off switch.

The 3065B can be programed to emit any TOMAR code on either emergency band or transit band using the 3065-PROGCAB cable and software.

An optional visible light filter can be added to make emitter operation invisible.

i wonder if you could fit something like that in a garage door opener

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
current uberx status:

Mercedes Benz S-Class

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so far ive taken a lyft twice:
1) getting from sjc to peninsula with a 12lb dog (caltrain doesnt allow any dogs, not even if they stay in carriers)
2) getting from oak to peninsula with a bunch of luggage

in the second case the driver had been laid off a couple years ago from her job as a tollbooth attendant on the golden gate bridge, back when they switched to a fully automated system. she'd been there for around 20-30 years (iirc, it was a lot in any case) and her choices were to either switch to being a bus driver with golden gate transit, with no seniority as if she'd just entered the agency from scratch, or to leave entirely. she ended up leaving and iirc now works as a bartender somewhere. she still has recordings for the tv/radio interviews she'd had, apparently she got to meet terry gross and some other famous ppl that i dont remember.

meanwhile i see people on mailing lists at work who complain about how much they had to suffer when buying their house in palo alto

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

current uberx status:

Mercedes Benz S-Class

you can buy that car in three years for $10k

rich people own because they throw cool cars in the trash when they need an oil change

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hp have u played around with the microradar pucks for detecting peds/bikes

theyre cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

uncurable mlady posted:

hp have u played around with the microradar pucks for detecting peds/bikes

theyre cool

i really want to for this bike lane/path project i'm workin on (it features an elevated portion)

some of the scandinavian countries use them for these ped & bike counter signs which are p cool

sf has one too so i'd like to be able to put up one

• Locked thread