Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Libluini posted:

Woah, I didn't knew I had the 2nd largest army at the end, no wonder I had to spend several turns forging items just to prevent my main army from starving all the time.

Mostly it was your AI buying a million cheap things. I stopped fighting the AIs for the last 10-15 turns since the game was over but Alumnus wanted to fight with what we already had, so the AIs all got pretty strong and were taking all of our stuff since we stopped defending against them. The graphs all reflect this so consider the last 1/5 or so of each graph is AIs Going Wild: The Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Mostly it was your AI buying a million cheap things. I stopped fighting the AIs for the last 10-15 turns since the game was over but Alumnus wanted to fight with what we already had, so the AIs all got pretty strong and were taking all of our stuff since we stopped defending against them. The graphs all reflect this so consider the last 1/5 or so of each graph is AIs Going Wild: The Game

Goddamnit, I had something like 300-400 Black Hunters when I went AI and I had set up a nice summoning machine to summon hords of undead. Now I'm wishing I had stayed in the game for a couple more turns. Stupid AI. :mad:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Libluini posted:

Goddamnit, I had something like 300-400 Black Hunters when I went AI and I had set up a nice summoning machine to summon hords of undead. Now I'm wishing I had stayed in the game for a couple more turns. Stupid AI. :mad:

To be fair if you had I would have claimed the thrones I claimed at least 7 or 8 turns earlier if you'd stayed in. I was pumping out a faerie queen a turn and all of them were summoning Giant Eagles. Also the army I used to smash Alumnus' deathball was originally on your border ready to go murder that huge black hunter force. It would have been fun but the game was definitely over by that point - my gem income was just too high for too long and I had map control.

(I feel like Black hunters are super mediocre in the mid and lategame people probably should stop making them after the expansion phase. Then again 300 is a large number)

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 2, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Slaan posted:

Damnit, I was in the top three or four on the graphs in most areas for the first third of the game. And then :argh: treachery :argh: from Orange, by going AI and causing a billion bats to take my undefended south, cost me the game. I could have pushed Cyan out if not for those. :argh:

Lol

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I don't know anything about Dominions 4. I've played five games total. I lack basic artistic talent. I'm an actual retard. Think any of those things can stop me from making a custom nation? Think again.

With 6 armours, 14 weapons, 14 commanders, 15 units, 3 national heroes, 4 custom summons, 2 pretenders and 9 custom events, CLOWNS.DM represents the single biggest waste of energy that I have ever expended.

Can you lead Kirkostaculis to victory? Learn the rich and complex backstory of this illustrious nation, recruiting creatures ranging from the lowly Sideshow to the mysterious Big Hat and the powerful Ancient Clown.

Ready to clown around? Before long you'll be probing the ancient mysteries of Comedy, summoning creatures as bizarre as the Imaginary Clown and the Clown Sublime.

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • DOWNLOAD >>> CLOWNS.RAR <<<
  • internally, ask yourself, "is this really a mod about clowns??"
  • extract the archive into your mods directory (C:\Users\fartlover69\AppData\Roaming\Dominions4\mods)
  • enable "Clowns" in the in-game modlist
  • out-loud whisper, "this is a mod about clowns..."
  • select KIRKOSTACULIS from the list of EARLY AGE NATIONs
  • post in the thread, "i can't believe you made a mod about clowns."

Every gold cost and unit value has been pulled completely out of my shapely rear end, for reasons listed in the first line of this post. Despite appearances, CLOWNS.DM is a SERIOUS MOD and deserves SERIOUS FEEDBACK regarding balance, so that I can make it the best mod about clowns in all of Dominions 4.

Anyway have fun and thanks for reading.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
i can't believe you made a mod about clowns.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Enjoy posted:

i can't believe you made a mod about clowns.

:stare::catstare:

I think... I think we have reached peak Dominions Goons.

:catstare::stare:

vvv

:agreed:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Please do MA/LA nations as followups using Shock Comedy for MA like Stern and whatnot, and then transition into stuff like Seinfeld and other unfunny things in LA as the nation declines, tia

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
This thread got really good

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This is the best wort thing I've ever seen in a while. Please, do more.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Kitfox88 posted:

Please do MA/LA nations as followups using Shock Comedy for MA like Stern and whatnot, and then transition into stuff like Seinfeld and other unfunny things in LA as the nation declines, tia

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Kirkostaculis vs Abysia

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo pants drop casting.

edit: Make the MA or LA nation's tagline "The Aristocrats!"

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
This is OP worthy stuff

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
rip walgreets

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I can't believe you made a mod about clowns.

Great mod, lots of work were into it. From the varied units and commanders that forms the nation, to all the lore written in a way that combines the vague sense of deep, strange lore of Dominions with the humor that obviously goes well with a CLOWN mod, both in actual jokes and in just writing "serious" lore for a race of comedians and clowns. It's just funny in itself.
It has to be the best 'non serious' mod for Dominions.

I have to ask, if Dark Clowning is death magic, the forbidden Tragic Clowning is blood magic? (I can't believe what I just typed!)

Balance wise, I think the troops are too expensive. The animals and basic naked troops are fine. But from the Contortionist onwards, you have troops usually with super low protection and lovely or mediocre weapons, and I'm not sure the perks they have justify their price.
Contortionists are stealthy yeah, but 25g for kick attacks and prot 4 is a bit too much, stealthy unit or not. 25g Jugglers with prot 7 and a len1 club with a few bad throw attacks is crappy. 28g for knife throwers. 50g is too much for damage and prot of Stilts, even if they have good defense. Strongman at least pack a punch for 40g17r, but again with just furs and morale 9 is actually a bit expensive. Their price isn't justified by other factors, for example I also noticed the troops don't have the best mobility, as no one has forest or mountain survival or flying or amphibious traits, and only one cavalry unit. Their MR and morale are also average.

I'm less good in judging mage's prices. The diversity seems to be there, as you have easy access to D2, F2, W2, A2 and S3. There are also interesting thug possibilities, both with magic and without it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I can't believe you made a mod about clowns.

This totally made my day. I can't stop laughing when I think about it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I...

I can't believe you made a mod about clowns

BuBuBear
May 9, 2009
This is amazing

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

BuBuBear posted:

This is amazing

Somebody make an all-clowns game, where everyone is clowns. It'll be clowns all the way down! :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, after seeing that much effort, I feel motivated again to work on my own mod. (Curse you for undermining my lazyness with your clowning! :argh:)

But my dom4-stuff is a mess. I have the modding-manual for 4.17 and an event-modding manual for 4.14. Is there a newer version of that event-modding stuff or is that it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The newest version is always what's up on their site. Not sure they've changed anything just yet from 4.14, I know req_notnation is STILL not working.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

The newest version is always what's up on their site. Not sure they've changed anything just yet from 4.14, I know req_notnation is STILL not working.

Thanks, that would have been hilarious if I had ended up needing that command not knowing this. :v:

By the way, and I'm feeling dumb about asking this, I've made a lot of spells for summoning monsters in my mod and they all work fine, but I can't wrap my head around summoning commanders. Now I already have a workaround involving events firing when certain summoned monsters show up to give the player the commander-version instead, but before I write this dumb workaround I wanted to ask if there's an easier way to summon commanders. It can't be that complicated, right?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Thanks, that would have been hilarious if I had ended up needing that command not knowing this. :v:

By the way, and I'm feeling dumb about asking this, I've made a lot of spells for summoning monsters in my mod and they all work fine, but I can't wrap my head around summoning commanders. Now I already have a workaround involving events firing when certain summoned monsters show up to give the player the commander-version instead, but before I write this dumb workaround I wanted to ask if there's an easier way to summon commanders. It can't be that complicated, right?

change the effect value from 10001 to 10021

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Corbeau wtf

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

change the effect value from 10001 to 10021

Thanks! Now that you mentioned it, I of course suddenly found it in one of the modding tables. Reading is hard

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Turin Turambar posted:

I have to ask, if Dark Clowning is death magic, the forbidden Tragic Clowning is blood magic? (I can't believe what I just typed!)
One of the heroes is a tragic clown (this pos).

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
Not as good as clowns, but modnations just produced one of the corniest battles i have ever seen.

Side 1: The evil sharks of Hawaii

Side 2: The brave penguins of the Antarctic

Unfortunately for the sharks this was not their day and they were summarily removed from the water. Stay out of the penguin lake you big jerks!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mu. posted:

:holymoley:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mu. posted:

Now that's funny. :v:

Fake Edit:

I've just noticed when modding some more spells that Dominions thinks there's something called "Holy Gems". They are used for summoning when the first path is holy. Now should I try to give my cap a holy gem income or just rewrite the spells? :shepface:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NotDeadYet posted:

Not as good as clowns, but modnations just produced one of the corniest battles i have ever seen.

Side 1: The evil sharks of Hawaii

I ask myself, what's the difference between a normal shark and a tribal-tatooed shark?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Mu. posted:

When I heard there was a Esteban clown hero I thought it was going to be Esteban Winsmore.

https://youtu.be/vC4duXXl2JE

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, thanks to that clown-mod I sat down and started the work on my own, rather boring in comparison mod again (after stopping for about half a year, so I had to re-learn some things). The good news is, the first nation of Gemmod is almost finished. I'm just adding a couple heroes now and have to play around with sites and events a bit to give the nation some resemblance of balance.

Some stuff to remember about Gemmod:

-It adds three nations to the game: EA Lagash, MA Akkad and LA Akkad, based on Sumerian history and legends.

-The three nations are all variations on Gem-based economies. Forts and temples are generally insanely expensive and your gold-income will be artificially lowered so you can't be a smartass and build huge indep-armies and summon loads of bullshit.

-To reinforce that, you'll be so poor in general, you'll be forced to play like a Lemuria with only 0 pop-provinces left.

-The nations work best with a magically diverse pretender, but I made sure the nations can have at least a majority of their national summons without trouble. Only the more exotic/overpowered crap will need some creative planning to get them.

-I think I avoided the case of your nation's capital turning into a gold eating black hole for whoever dumb bastard conquers it. Hopefully.

-All units and commanders essentially re-use dom4 sprites since I'm not really great at sprite art. Quite the opposite, actually. Better sprites are still possible, if I ever get around to it after the mod is finished. No promises, though!

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
This has got to be even worse than when somebody made a Wu-Tang nation and put in Warren G because they ran out of ideas for commanders

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

I Love You! posted:

A moratorium on Machaka:

What started out as a super dumb gimmick game... turned out to be really good? As it happens Machaka v. Machaka fights are incredibly fun and interactive and there's tons of cool interactions and counters you get to play around with. Everyone I spoke to was surprised at how much fun the fights were and how much they were enjoying the game.

It was a really good game, and I'm honestly amazed I survived as long as I did with BoT up, no bless, and a pretender god tailored specifically for doing dumb poo poo and not actually fighting. Yellow never actually did attack me, but AI Orange (why did you go AI you fucker, you had zotz and some really defensible territory) inflicted more casualties on me than pretty much anybody. It might be down to me being mostly inoffensive vs. my stronger neighbors - there was a brief war with Black that turned into an equally brief war against Green, which turned into a joint attack on Cyan when ILU convinced me it would be the better troll to go after the guy with Gift of Health up instead of losing fruitlessly to his dust walkers. Dust Walkers are also really good against conventional Machaka troops, and about the only way I could kill them was dust-to-dust spam. Even then, it only worked when he didn't have sorcerors around to summon up a skeleton screen for my spammers to go after instead of the actually dangerous troops.

I knew I couldn't go for the win at around the time I started seeing ~100 dust walkers and literally every elemental king of fire on my doorstep, but it was a good game anyway. If I'd just had another six months, or prioritized my research better, I could've had my pretender cast Well of Misery and set up a Tartarian engine. (The lack of any Gift of Health would obviously only make it a better troll.) Instead, I spent all my gems on Ether Gate and fire snakes, rolled up all my hoplites (because I'm too dumb to make any black hunters) into a giant deathball, and perished heroically vs. Green's hundred-odd undead mummyfuckers.

A++, would reign sorcerors again.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turin Turambar posted:

I ask myself, what's the difference between a normal shark and a tribal-tatooed shark?

They're magic sharks that can also turn into humans and walk on land.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Cast BoT or alternatively recruit 600 zotz and go AI.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Picked this up again for the first time in a while, played vs ai for a bit, summoned an elemental queen, got disappointed. Are there any Awesome-type mods for the new game, or are there some fun new summons I should be looking at instead of royalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a cow posted:

Picked this up again for the first time in a while, played vs ai for a bit, summoned an elemental queen, got disappointed. Are there any Awesome-type mods for the new game, or are there some fun new summons I should be looking at instead of royalty?

This is a good mod.

I have been told it is quite amusing to play this.

• Locked thread