Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WickedHate posted:

Roy is Ceaser and Starfire is Lisa Lisa.

Wile that would be great, not everything needs to be the same. Taking inspiration would be enough. I mean, superhero battles are rarely exciting, as they usually end with two non-fabulous musclemen unching other and then the hero punches harder and wins. DC had a pretty good run of more creative comics from the 80s to the 2000s, with Vertigo and more obscure comics being free to experiment and not follow the party line. Morrison's Doom Patrol gets as crazy as Jojo in parts, and is amazing. But I'd be okay with it if they just ripped off Jojo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ian Bertram from Batman Eternal 11. The best issue because it looks like a Klasky Csupo cartoon.

Woops thought it was from Batman Inc. Does just the one issue look like that? I haven't read any Batman Eternal but I might have to try and track that issue down!

Further adding to my confusion Ian Bertram is the cover artist on E is for Extinction 1, written by Chris Burnham.

Straight Outta CompUSA fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 26, 2015

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Since at least Morrison's run on Batman, Gotham has been treated as an almost supernatural entity, one that seems specifically designed to create Batman, his allies, and his villains. Snyder continued this theme in his Dark Mirror arc, and as far as I know, carried the idea over to the New 52. We Are Robin continues this theme with a modern, social activist twist, which it blatantly spells out on the last couple of pages.

Even ignoring the above, DT's reading of the work is incorrect. We've only seen one character in a straight up fight so far, and that was with kids his own age, and didn't end all that well. Duke's a good street brawler and has some minor parkour skills, but nothing that stretches belief. As for the other Robins, we are still missing to much information to judge them yet, since they haven't been fully introduced. But, the last page hints they have some mysterious benefactor at least supplying them costumes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is also training them. The comic also hints this backer may not have the kids best interest at heart, meaning things won't go as swimmingly for them as DT expects. Will one of them die? I hope not, as killing teenaged heroes is a depressing trope, one overly used by DC. But the risk will certainly be there as much as it is in any DC comic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

glitchwraith posted:

Since at least Morrison's run on Batman, Gotham has been treated as an almost supernatural entity, one that seems specifically designed to create Batman, his allies, and his villains. Snyder continued this theme in his Dark Mirror arc, and as far as I know, carried the idea over to the New 52. We Are Robin continues this theme with a modern, social activist twist, which it blatantly spells out on the last couple of pages.

Even ignoring the above, DT's reading of the work is incorrect. We've only seen one character in a straight up fight so far, and that was with kids his own age, and didn't end all that well. Duke's a good street brawler and has some minor parkour skills, but nothing that stretches belief. As for the other Robins, we are still missing to much information to judge them yet, since they haven't been fully introduced. But, the last page hints they have some mysterious benefactor at least supplying them costumes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is also training them. The comic also hints this backer may not have the kids best interest at heart, meaning things won't go as swimmingly for them as DT expects. Will one of them die? I hope not, as killing teenaged heroes is a depressing trope, one overly used by DC. But the risk will certainly be there as much as it is in any DC comic.

My judgement of the Robins skills stems from what we've seen on both the sneak peek and this issue, and regular people can't simply jump from a crane without getting hurt.

We also got plenty of background info of the Robins here and while their descriptions sound reasonable enough for a regular street setting, it can't work in a world where supervillians exist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My judgement of the Robins skills stems from what we've seen on both the sneak peek and this issue, and regular people can't simply jump from a crane without getting hurt.

Yes they can, it's a comic book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

We also got plenty of background info of the Robins here and while their descriptions sound reasonable enough for a regular street setting, it can't work in a world where supervillians exist.

That's a stupid thing to say. Why wouldn't it work? The DC universe is not realistic, and the various comics cover different genres with different assumptions. Clearly, We Are Robin is telling a story where that kind of thing can work.

If you get tangled too much in continuity or realism, you lose the ability to appreciate stories for what they are. Don't pre-judge stories cased on your assumptions about their world: each story is a different world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a stupid thing to say. Why wouldn't it work? The DC universe is not realistic, and the various comics cover different genres with different assumptions. Clearly, We Are Robin is telling a story where that kind of thing can work.

If you get tangled too much in continuity or realism, you lose the ability to appreciate stories for what they are. Don't pre-judge stories cased on your assumptions about their world: each story is a different world.

Is sharing a world with Batman, since some of the kids' situations stem from Endgame's fallout.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Batman: Endgame, that paragon of realism in comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
D_T keeps saying "This is why I don't like x" or "This is why I like x", acknowleges their just his personal opinions, and yall still gotta argue with him about why he's objectively wrong. If it streatches his suspension of disbelief, who cares. I'm the last person that thinks N52 continuity should be paid any attention, too, but it's not like he's arguing everything that doesn't have strict and consistant canon with every other book is bad and wrong, he's just explaining why he doesn't enjoy it himself.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is sharing a world with Batman, since some of the kids' situations stem from Endgame's fallout.

Doesn't matter, because it's not Endgame.

It's not easy to let go of preconceived notions and start taking each story as they are, but it's worth it in the end.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

D_T keeps saying "This is why I don't like x" or "This is why I like x", acknowleges their just his personal opinions, and yall still gotta argue with him about why he's objectively wrong. If it streatches his suspension of disbelief, who cares. I'm the last person that thinks N52 continuity should be paid any attention, too, but it's not like he's arguing everything that doesn't have strict and consistant canon with every other book is bad and wrong, he's just explaining why he doesn't enjoy it himself.

If he doesn't like the story, that's fine. I'm never going to argue his love of Red Hood, because that's subjective. But when he says "I dislike x due to y", and y has nothing to do with x, we are allowed to point that out.

Why can the one Robin jump from a crane without injuring herself? Because she grew up in Gotham, and as such happens to have the natural skills and talents to do so, or because she had the motivation and inspiration needed to learn such a feat. Or because she just got lucky, so lucky in fact, that it's like she and the other Robins are destined to do what they do, just as Bruce Wayne was destined to be Batman. This is all implied or outright stated in the book. It's no less realistic than a man falling into a vat of toxic chemicals and coming out as a mad, amoral genius that looks like a clown.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shhh shhh shhh
Hey, lookie. JLU #11's full cover came up on Comixology and it's getting a neat new logo like Hitch's JLA.

Maybe JL gets it's one after Darkseid War?

e: Maybe they're hoping for some mistaken cartoon fans buying JLU*JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED*

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 27, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shhh shhh shhh
Hey, lookie. JLU #11's full cover came up on Comixology and it's getting a neat new logo like Hitch's JLA.

e: Maybe they're hoping for some mistaken cartoon fans buying JLU*JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED*

That is missing the maple leaf in the title so no sale.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shhh shhh shhh

Starring Gambit, Miss Captain America and Scarlett Witch?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress is going on with Stargirl's torso on that cover. :stare:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

dragon_pamcake posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress is going on with Stargirl's torso on that cover. :stare:

She's twisting slightly to the left, arcing her back a little bit, and is viewed from above. The staff is pulling her and she's supporting herself on it. Her legs are pulled forward. Perspective seems slightly distorted but that might just be the angle. It doesn't seem that uncomfortable if she's flying.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grayson's Tom King just got a Vision comic announced for Marvel's relaunch, and Greg Pak is doing their new Hulk.

If anyone puts exclusivity contracts anywhere near these dudes, I'm gonna bust asses.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I hope not. Lemire got hit with exclusivity practically the second his DC contract expired, I'd hate to see that happen to King and Pak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Grayson's Tom King just got a Vision comic announced for Marvel's relaunch, and Greg Pak is doing their new Hulk.

If anyone puts exclusivity contracts anywhere near these dudes, I'm gonna bust asses.

I'm really glad the bad blood Pak had towards Marvel is gone but I don't want him leaving Action any time soon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ridiculous DC/Vertigo (e: +Wildstorm for Ex Machina) sale.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Eisner-Winners-Sale/page/7227?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

All-Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Watchmen
Sandman
American Vampire
Batman Year 100
Daytripper
New Frontier
Ex Machina
The Wake
Y The Last Man

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 1, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ridiculous DC/Vertigo sale.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Eisner-Winners-Sale/page/7227?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

All-Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Watchmen
Sandman
American Vampire
Batman Year 100

Daytripper
New Frontier
Ex Machina
The Wake
Y The Last Man
I can recommend all of these but I haven't read the other ones. The first trade of Ex Machina was pretty interesting though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daytripper is super good and totally wroth the $10.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ex Machina read to me like Vaughan ran out of enthusiasm before he ran out of plot. Worth reading if you don't mind that it just sort of competently slides across the finish line after a very promising start.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Daytripper is super good and totally wroth the $10.

Agreeing with this 100 percent. One of my favourite comics and it is really really worth the price. Hell it would be worth the price if it was doubled that.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I was a bit iffy about the first issue of The Omega Men, but I am so glad I gave it another chance with its second issue this week. More attention was given on Kyle's perspective and I think his POV helped me get engaged to this story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo Bizarro had a recap page. Trully this is the golden age of DC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bizarro comic do things opposite of normal DC comics!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Bizarro comic do things opposite of normal DC comics!

But... that means they do things the same! :psyduck:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Bizarro language am opposite of normal language. It not inconsistent!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did Blue Beetle appear at all in Convergence: Booster Gold #1? I know he appears in the beginning of #2 and they have a conversation, but was he revealed on the last page of #1, or anything like that? I just want to be sure, since I'm going to try to pick up the Convergence issues I missed this weekend, and I guess I'm a Blue Beetle completist now.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

was he revealed on the last page of #1, or anything like that?

Yes he was! The issue wasn't very good, though.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Action Comics is the first Superman comic I've read in a while that felt like it has real stakes. Really good stuff, Pak is killing it with populist Superman and finally giving us the man of the people Morrison promised years ago.

I am a bit biased when it comes to Omega Men because it's basically the kind of comic book I go apeshit for, but this is the kind of book that's shooting for the moon. Really sharp and extremely edgy but in all of the right ways. It's a good loving comic.

Midnighter is still amazing and manages to be great despite a second issue fill-in (???).

I want to love Green Arrow since it's hitting all of the right notes with me but the pacing and plotting is straight hosed in this issue. Particularly this subplot about police drones that would be outrageously over the top in even Robocop, that's introduced at whiplash speed and escalates way too quickly. This could be a really good Green Arrow book, but I was completely torn out of the story by a few quirks that would've been easy to fix.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Semper Fudge posted:

I want to love Green Arrow since it's hitting all of the right notes with me but the pacing and plotting is straight hosed in this issue. Particularly this subplot about police drones that would be outrageously over the top in even Robocop, that's introduced at whiplash speed and escalates way too quickly. This could be a really good Green Arrow book, but I was completely torn out of the story by a few quirks that would've been easy to fix.

Not really as the militarization of the police in this country is frightening and in a world with super villains and heroes crazy tech would be common. I mean in batman the police have a mechasuit.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

bobkatt013 posted:

Not really as the militarization of the police in this country is frightening and in a world with super villains and heroes crazy tech would be common. I mean in batman the police have a mechasuit.

It'd be a lot easier to swallow if they didn't look like this:

That's like the most evil loving robot ever devised.

I actually think it's really cool that there are multiple DC books right now that are dealing with police brutality in a modern context, but this is just two notches overboard.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 2, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

Have you seen some of the stuff actual real-world police have? If they had floating robot drones they'd probably not be too far off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

The legs say "Doc Ock", but the glowing red eyes say "Skynet". Truly a great collaboration.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Have you seen some of the stuff actual real-world police have? If they had floating robot drones they'd probably not be too far off.

If anything, it's not evil enough. We'd never know what they'd actually look like though, because a police robot would kill anyone taking pictures or recordings of it with brutal efficency.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Needs a Confederate flag on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Semper Fudge posted:

Haha, sort of reminds me of the killer robot Michael Dorn played on Megas XLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Semper Fudge posted:

I actually think it's really cool that there are multiple DC books right now that are dealing with police brutality in a modern context, but this is just two notches overboard.

Yeah, on the one hand I get that Green Arrow shares a universe with the Batbunny and so silly looking robots/mechanical creations are sort of a norm in the current world of DC, but to me it's just so much easier to accept a silly looking robot that is modeled after an iconic hero's costume than it is to accept a robot that looks like a flying metal squid.

Plus, if you want to do a story dealing with modern police brutality... you can just have police brutality? It's not like police brutality is a hard to explain concept so we need the flying squid to act as an analogy. And Ollie is an unpowered archer, it's not like 3 or 4 cops armed with what passes as riot gear aren't a legitimate threat to him.

I'm willing to give GA one more issue, but I'm probably dropping it unless #3 really blows me away.

• Locked thread