Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Bown posted:

Puppet episode isn't as bad as the s4 finale

Nothing is as bad as the s4 finale

The s4 finale is death

It's the one Community episode I avoid at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Action Man posted:

It's the one Community episode I avoid at all costs.

This one ruined the darkest timeline by making it impossible to rationalize as fantasy/Abeds brain/metaphor. At least Harmon is a lighter touch with genre.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What puppet episode?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Bown posted:

Puppet episode isn't as bad as the s4 finale

Nothing is as bad as the s4 finale

The s4 finale is death

As long as the first Todd episode and Regional Holiday Music exist, there is ALWAYS something worse than the season four finale.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Transmodiar posted:

As long as the first Todd episode and Regional Holiday Music exist, there is ALWAYS something worse than the season four finale.

So we're just all gonna Irish Joe each other to death is that it?

This isn't what Community (RIP) deserves.

But it's better than Season 6 so please continue.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Regional Holiday Music was a really bad episode at the time and yet there were people calling the lovely songs they wrote for it as "musical genius"

It was really jarring because it came like a couple weeks after the best episode of the series.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*Dean voice* I hope you like gettin balled!

I really enjoyed Season 6 and Season 4 had some legitimately good episodes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

I dunno, man. That first Todd episode is legitimately Real Fuckin Bad (to use a classic Occ phrase) and I would even put most s4 eps above it but at least it has a handful of funny lines when it's not being utterly horrible and hateful. There's nothing worthwhile about the s4 finale.

and Regional Holiday Music is great

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

1st AD posted:

Regional Holiday Music was a really bad episode at the time and yet there were people calling the lovely songs they wrote for it as "musical genius"

It was really jarring because it came like a couple weeks after the best episode of the series.

Most of the songs were pretty great. Baby boomer Santa is amazing. o/` Fake butter and AIDS, and TWIN PEAKS! o/`

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But this is an interesting question: what Harmon-era Community eps would you actually consider worse than the season 4 average? The two that stick out to me are Todd and the godawful Recycled Cinema episode from this latest season.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

XMNN posted:

What puppet episode?

The hot-air balloon episode where they all revealed a secret (but then forgot because they were high).

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Bown posted:

But this is an interesting question: what Harmon-era Community eps would you actually consider worse than the season 4 average? The two that stick out to me are Todd and the godawful Recycled Cinema episode from this latest season.

The Dreamatorium episode, for one.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Schmitty

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BSam posted:

Schmitty

The Schmitty episode, the first Todd episode, and the episode where Abed becomes a Jesus metaphor were all awful. The season 2 episode where Jeff and Pierce compete for some Asian woman is also awful, its only redeeming feature is Abed teaching us Who's The Boss.

Todd is made slightly more bearable because the punchline for his character shows up in Season 6, when it's revealed that his personality is basically that of a deranged serial killer

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I used to hate the schmitty episode, but now I love it; Abed jesus is bad.
The wine one is worth it for who's the boss but is otherwise terrible yeah.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Todd episode is the potato mystery one right? What's wrong with that one?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No Harmon episode is worse than anything in season four. You season four apologists should try to rewatch it in its entirety without looking away. It's terrible.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

there's only two legitimate answers, and that's JESUS abed from season 2 and schmitty

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
The schmitty episode is actually good. The kids are unfairly criticized for being too good at their job. And even if they were horrible, the b-story is still better than anything in season 4 and most of season 3.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Bown posted:

"Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples"
"Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" (one good LOST joke does not a funny episode make)
"Celebrity Pharmacology"
"Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy"
"Applied Anthropology and Culinary Arts"
"Competitive Ecology"
"Documentary Filmmaking: Redux"
"Regional Holiday Music"
"Contemporary Impressionists"
"Pillows and Blankets"
"Virtual Systems Analysis"
"The First Chang Dynasty"
"G.I. Jeff"
"Basic Story"
"Basic Sandwich"

With the exception of the series finale, season 6 is so milquetoast I'm hard pressed to think of anything standout.

Hey, you asked.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
dotflist has posted his magnum opus opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVoWMxjp28

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No one posting in this thread has enjoyed this show in four years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Todd episode is the potato mystery one right? What's wrong with that one?

Nope, there's one earlier in the season where they have to choose lab partners and Todd is the 8th guy.

Schmitty and Jesus Abed actually turn out to be really good when you rewatch them btw, sorry everyone but you're wrong

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

Incorrect

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

i greatly enjoyed this season, second best imo, but i will admit i'm an extreme outlier

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think every Harmon season is awesome. But season 6 almost didn't get there. Last 3 eps redeemed it a lot, but the three eps before those were.....SO piss-poor. (Recycled Cinema, Grifting, and RV)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The RV episode is good and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The end tag alone justifies the RV episode.

That said, the RV episode is where my general antipathy towards Abed's gimmick coalesced into hatred, so if we never get another Abed-centric episode again I will be pretty happy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bown posted:

I think every Harmon season is awesome. But season 6 almost didn't get there. Last 3 eps redeemed it a lot, but the three eps before those were.....SO piss-poor. (Recycled Cinema, Grifting, and RV)

I completely agree about the last six episodes of Season 6, though I wouldn't say every Harmon season was awesome, and I think people are probably a bit too critical of season 4. Season 4 was often a parody version of Community, but Harmon definitely descended into self-parody at times as well. I genuinely think the run of episodes before the last few in season 6 was considerably worse than Season 4, though it's not really a fair comparison since the show had two more years of staleness on top of losing key cast members.

MrAristocrates posted:

I've enjoyed enough episodes over the years that I'd say I enjoyed most of the run except for the middle part of Season 6, but I do think the last few episodes of season 3 is when the show stopped being great to me, and while there were great episodes after that, I don't think my opinion ever changed back to thinking the show as whole was great again. There's just a lot of room between greatness and being unwatchable.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

In It For The Tank posted:

The end tag alone justifies the RV episode.

That said, the RV episode is where my general antipathy towards Abed's gimmick coalesced into hatred, so if we never get another Abed-centric episode again I will be pretty happy.

Community: Abed's Uncontrollable Movie

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Has the bad timeline ever actually affected the prime one? I know they've played around with it a couple times but those episodes tend to end with a zoom out of a characters eye as they imagine it. I love Remedial Chaos Theory, its probably my favorite community episode ever, but I never liked any of the bad timeline references after that episode.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

i greatly enjoyed this season, second best imo, but i will admit i'm an extreme outlier

I enjoyed it all, even season 4...

I mean, compared to The Big Bang Theory and every other lovely sitcom on TV even the worst of Community was enjoyable comparatively (but also at it's worst I didn't hate it, it's just an episode I won't care to re-watch).

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Has the bad timeline ever actually affected the prime one? I know they've played around with it a couple times but those episodes tend to end with a zoom out of a characters eye as they imagine it. I love Remedial Chaos Theory, its probably my favorite community episode ever, but I never liked any of the bad timeline references after that episode.

Remember I was saying how the s4 finale was death? It's because this happens. Except it turns out to be a dream so still no I guess.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

In one s4 tag I think troy and abed in the morning cut to it... as if that somehow masks sense.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I was going to watch the whole series over again but instead I just rewatched Season 4. 6 times, because it's so much better than all the other seasons.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I basically like every episode except Abeds Xmas. I liked the show from the beginning, and even when Harmon left I still liked watching a show with Jeff, Britta, Annie, Troy, Dean and then everyone else. I liked Britta in season one and whenever she became a dummy (season three?), because Gillian is really funny (and pretty). Jeff is like the coolest person in my whole world.

Some shows can tank in later seasons (Dexter), but as far as I'm concerned they can give Community the Seinfeld syndication timeslots and I'll watch that poo poo every night for twenty years.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I forgot about this superhero backstories episode. This is the most contrived poo poo to ever have been contrived. gently caress this season.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Id like to formally request a mod to ban anyone saying season 4 is good from posting here. Maybe make your own thread so us normal people dont have to put up with you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Aerodynamics of Gender is an underrated episode in this thread. Easily one of my favorite episodes of the series. Fundamentals of Flight is also amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is literally the only good Christmas based piece of media outside of Die Hard. What is wrong with you people?

• Locked thread