Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've decided that Wars of honor need dynamic names.

War of Jenkin's Ear

War of the Silver beard

War of the Broken Bow

Much better than X war of honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:psyduck: you guys are crazy, Humanist is like the perfect idea group if you want to do blobbing in most of the world. Religious unity, years of nationalism, +5 unrest for heathens and heretics. Better relations over time helps you manage the AE you'll be getting too. It might well be the best idea set in the game, there's not a single bad part of it.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Koramei posted:

:psyduck: you guys are crazy, Humanist is like the perfect idea group if you want to do blobbing in most of the world. Religious unity, years of nationalism, +5 unrest for heathens and heretics. Better relations over time helps you manage the AE you'll be getting too. It might well be the best idea set in the game, there's not a single bad part of it.

I know, that's boring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

:agreed: Humanist is amazing. Revolt Risk reduction, 33% Nationalism reduction, Religious Unity, decent policies. The list goes on.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wiz posted:

Just posted the DD about the EU4 design process.

Nice writeup, glad to see a peek into how things are developed. I agree with you guys on a big point which is game designers that don't play their own game. It's one thing to be a designer and to have an idea about how something should work. It's another thing to implement it and see how it does work. A lot of designers don't do that second step, which is bizarre to me. It's a lot like a chef that doesn't taste the food he's cooking. How does he know it's any good?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I love taking Humanist, but the main problem is that I always have trouble slotting it in when playing a big blobbing nation. Admin, Dip, Influence, and Religious are all super good as the first two ideas depending on where you are and what your NIs are. I always feel like I'd rather have an easier time taking territory and then worry about holding it after the fact, so Humanist tends to get left behind a bit.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wouldn't it be nice if you could feel excited about other NIs?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

VDay posted:

Yeah I love taking Humanist, but the main problem is that I always have trouble slotting it in when playing a big blobbing nation. Admin, Dip, Influence, and Religious are all super good as the first two ideas depending on where you are and what your NIs are. I always feel like I'd rather have an easier time taking territory and then worry about holding it after the fact, so Humanist tends to get left behind a bit.

If I remember right you're referring when you play as Muscovy. If that's the case then yeah, Muscovy really really wants Religious, It's very hard to work in Humanist. Do you ignore Exploration? Admin? Religious? Influence? Military Ideas? It's just kinda awkward with the way that Muscovy ends up expanding.

For a lot of countries Humanist can replace what Muscovy does with Religious so that's why people like it. And even when you aren't dealing with other religions, it makes conquest easier / less hassle.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It's the only non unique thing that lowers the Accepted Culture threshold besides trading in silk

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rakthar posted:

If I remember right you're referring when you play as Muscovy. If that's the case then yeah, Muscovy really really wants Religious, It's very hard to work in Humanist. Do you ignore Exploration? Admin? Religious? Influence? Military Ideas? It's just kinda awkward with the way that Muscovy ends up expanding.

For a lot of countries Humanist can replace what Muscovy does with Religious so that's why people like it. And even when you aren't dealing with other religions, it makes conquest easier / less hassle.

Yeah Muscovy is just kind of my default nation to play as, so I'm doing a Master of India campaign right now while getting used to the 1.13 changes. But I've played all around the world and totally agree that Humanist definitely slots in really well when you don't have to worry about converting most of your lands. It's fantastic for a Europe-focused nation like Poland where all your lands are Catholic and when stuff like AE and dealing with revolts with a smaller army can be absolutely crippling. Also the reformation gives you a bunch of missionary strength and centers of reformation so you don't have to worry about that stuff, whereas the rest of the world usually has to deal with giant neighbors with different religions.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like I'm the only one who doesn't bother with humanism ever. It's all about less revolts and when you get to a certain point rebellions don't matter any more.

I made Swizterland give up Milan because I had a mission to push them out of Italy and get a pretty good modifier (+1 BT everywhere and 10% goods produced for a certain amount of years), and it costed 100 WS but I only got 1+ PP out of it. Doesn't seem right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't forget, revolt risk reduces your production/income. Non-accepted cultures also give a big penalty to income and manpower. Happy citizens are productive citizens. If you have a ton of provinces with even just a few percent revolt risk, that's a big financial penalty. It's easy to swat a rebel stack, but the revoltrisk is costing you money. If you do the math, the lowered revolt risk and more accepted cultures can often be far more valuable than the economic or trade ideas, depending on the ethnic makeup of your empire of course. But for a large multi-ethnic empire it's really really good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm not too thrilled about Religious anymore in general, of course it's great for Muscovy as you're expanding into almost entirely off-culture, Sunni territory.

There was a big change with conversion difficulty in CS that I've posted about before. Let's take as an example a large Sunni off-culture province, 10 basetax or ~25 development.
Previously, conversion difficulty was 0.5% per basetax. 2% from Sunni penalty + 2% for being off-culture + 10 * 0.5 from basetax = 9%
Now, it's 0.1% per development, and since 1 basetax ~ 2.5 development, conversion difficulty from basetax is roughly half as much. 2% Sunni + 2% off-culture + 0.1 * 25 = 6.5%

Most nations can get ~4-5% missionary strength from religion-specific decisions, which with an Inquisitor adviser and your 2% base strength you can convert up to 40 development of off-culture Sunnis.

Religious just feels like more of a niche pick. And in the beta patch, Aristocratic is right back to being mostly terrible :v:

Trujillo posted:

Seems like I'm the only one who doesn't bother with humanism ever. It's all about less revolts and when you get to a certain point rebellions don't matter any more.

Yeah Humanism is really good I just usually want Admin, Econ, or Expansion instead as revolts are rarely limiting my expansion.

Plus you can always just shove your off-culture provinces into a mega-March or two.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 2, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Trujillo posted:

To be fair, the cultural acceptance can be pretty huge if you're a big enough blob in the right part of the world. Getting rid of the -33% tax and manpower modifier on like 50-100 provinces is a nice boost for one idea perk. It's just hard to justify taking that over the popular religious/admin/dip/influence/exploration/expansion first picks since it just kind of helps stabilize your empire while the others help you expand.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

VDay posted:

To be fair, the cultural acceptance can be pretty huge if you're a big enough blob in the right part of the world. Getting rid of the -33% tax and manpower modifier on like 50-100 provinces is a nice boost for one idea perk. It's just hard to justify taking that over the popular religious/admin/dip/influence/exploration/expansion first picks since it just kind of helps stabilize your empire while the others help you expand.

*cough*India*cough*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

\/ Yeah it's sadly about the only thing I really like in the group. I never have trouble with rebels or religious tolerance, it's a total waste but I can't stand not having accepted cultures I want an inclusive safe-space for all the people I'm aggressively blobbing. The -10% idea cost is nice though too. Yeah basically just the accepted culture thing and -10% idea cost, rest is useless.

Having incredibly ridiculous modifiers to lower revolt risk lets you manually reduce autonomy at low risk, which is such a huge advantage early on. Plus, if you're really pushing your expansion (faster than is maybe entirely sensible) you don't want to spare any manpower fighting rebels, especially early on when their stack size probably rivals your army size and they are a genuine threat.

Humanism is really fantastic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I've discovered why Austria has such a hard time holding on to the Imperial throne: the AIs preference for strong allies means that Austria generally doesn't ally any of the electors. Meaning that it's really easy for Bohemia or the Palatinate to ally with one other, and then win the crown with 2 votes.

Baron Porkface posted:

I've decided that Wars of honor need dynamic names.

War of Jenkin's Ear

War of the Silver beard

War of the Broken Bow

Much better than X war of honor.

Kettle War. Losses: 1 Kettle.

As long as you don't count the drownings. :smith:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Humanism should be a powerful idea group, right until it isn't. Letting people do their own thing would smooth out tensions to a point, but if tensions/instability get high enough then the whole thing starts to unravel as the local leaders which you've respectively allowed to continue running poo poo suddenly realize they're in the perfect position to go independent. It would basically allow rapid expansion, but also rapid disintegration of your empire if things got bad enough. Going the more oppressive religious route would mean a slower expansion, but you'd also be more resilient against major instability.

This probably shouldn't be tied directly to ideas, more your acceptance of cultures and tolerance of religions. I guess sorta similar to the liberty desire system, with there being the possibility that a culture/religion might revolt, not because of oppression but because some high ranking people just weren't satisfied with being simply tolerated. If they actually believed they could win of course.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It's about time.

93k ducats taken out in loans, and still making a profit every month even with all my sliders up. If only I didn't already have manufactories everywhere. It better suits a country with a lot of low development land and wanted to jump start your economy with manufactories or if you just want to go balls out and run a giant mercenary army and fight the whole world at the same time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love if it the general culture acceptance system was re-done to the extent of development in common sense, gutted and replaced with something better. Or have accepted/nonaccepted culture more of a spectrum rather than a binary, and have it simply set a minimum autonomy before the culture group starts to feel oppressed and thus revolt risk increases.

So your dominant culture would be fine with 0% autonomy, that big new area of non-accepted culture you just annexed is going to be pissed off at anything short of 100% autonomy, but over time that culture becomes more and more integrated, thus tolerates a lower and lower autonomy but only to a point unless you work to make that culture more accepted via spending monarch points some how.

Perhaps have a culture screen that shows the current level of acceptance of a culture in your empire and the ability to spend points to increase the acceptance empire-wide of non-accepted culture (costs admin based on development value of dominant culture), to better assimilate the culture (dip points based on development of target culture) or to militarily enforce the situation with MIL points, with large discounts for same-culture group, smaller discounts for larger continent-based culture types (so it's cheaper for french to accept English culture vs Japanese culture) and discounts for same-religion.

I could just imagine some sort of culture screen where you invested points in specific cultures within your empire to make them more accepted/integrated. Present options to the player to either try to assimilate the cultures into your own with a higher up-front cost and potential resistance but those cultures eventually converting to your own, or striving to make your country more tolerant of minority cultures, or forcing the issue with military points representing creating the military/security aparatus needed to keep the minority cultures in line and paying their full taxes without getting uppity.

But get rid of the juggling percentages to make culture accepted or not, make it so it's not an automatic thing based on % of base tax. Make it present interesting choices to the player.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a lot of changes to get a system that does pretty much the same thing as now, in effect.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The more accepted cultures I have, the more advisors I get that are from different cultures, therefore making it seem like I am indeed a ruler of many peoples.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's been,a while since I tried this so I wanted to confirm. If I wardec someone from within an ally's borders my troops get exile status until they return to my territory, right? What if they're on transports or in the lands of one of my subjects?

Also a heads up: if you've got papal influence invested as Poland and switch to the Commonwealth you lose all the invested influence.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
AE question -- how much AE is too much AE?

It looks like ~50 is what triggers Coalition forming? Not sure.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

alcaras posted:

30 and above and someone can form a coalition against you, but it's not a guarantee.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

Tsyni posted:

30 and above and someone can form a coalition against you, but it's not a guarantee.

Yeah 30 AE and an Outraged or Rival attitude toward you. Your allies and friendly nations won't care about 30 AE but that's when coalitions might start forming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TTBF posted:

It's been,a while since I tried this so I wanted to confirm. If I wardec someone from within an ally's borders my troops get exile status until they return to my territory, right? What if they're on transports or in the lands of one of my subjects?

Also a heads up: if you've got papal influence invested as Poland and switch to the Commonwealth you lose all the invested influence.

Troops in your territory, a subject's territory, an allies territory, uncolonized territory, or on a ship do not get mark exiled upon a declaration of war.

However, once exiled, troops must return to either your territory, a subject's territory, or board a ship.

e: corrected to say uncolonized territory.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 3, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I only had one coalition against me but it formed after I forced Hungary into a union as Austria and included half the loving HRE + Ottomans

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Troops in your territory, a subject's territory, an allies territory, colonized territory, or on a ship do not get mark exiled upon a declaration of war.

However, once exiled, troops must return to either your territory, a subject's territory, or board a ship.

OK, thanks for that. It must have been military access I was thinking of.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah 30 AE and an Outraged or Rival attitude toward you. Your allies and friendly nations won't care about 30 AE but that's when coalitions might start forming.

Heh, that explains why my first post-CS attempt at playing Poland ended after getting 90 AE thanks to dismantling LO + TO in one war (feeding LO to Lithuania and eating half of TO myself)... and then promptly coalitioned by half of Central Europe and then DoW'd by Riga, with everyone joining in.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain how the colony discount is applied to coring? I'm playing as Najd, conquering provinces around the Horn of Africa. I notice some say I'll get the giant Colony discount, but Ethopian provinces say I won't, even though a tiny country north of them has provinces that say I will get the discount when I mouse over the coring button.

Is it just lying? And what exactly determines when I get the discount? Is it region based or do I need a non-contiguous path?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Can someone explain how the colony discount is applied to coring? I'm playing as Najd, conquering provinces around the Horn of Africa. I notice some say I'll get the giant Colony discount, but Ethopian provinces say I won't, even though a tiny country north of them has provinces that say I will get the discount when I mouse over the coring button.

Is it just lying? And what exactly determines when I get the discount? Is it region based or do I need a non-contiguous path?

The discount should only apply if your colony is on the same continent as you are.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Tsyni posted:

The province needs to count as distant overseas for the 50% discount to apply. A province is distant overseas if it's not on the same continent as you are and you don't have a land connection (straits count) to it. When you hover over the button the game correctly says that you'll get the discount because you don't own the connecting provinces yet. But once you annex the land you generally take the connecting provinces too which will make you ineligible for the discount when it actually matters.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So your dominant culture would be fine with 0% autonomy, that big new area of non-accepted culture you just annexed is going to be pissed off at anything short of 100% autonomy, but over time that culture becomes more and more integrated, thus tolerates a lower and lower autonomy but only to a point unless you work to make that culture more accepted via spending monarch points some how.

re; autonomy chat

I feel like autonomy should be a slider, like army maintenance. The autonomy of land did not drop to nothing and never return throughout history, it fluctuated with centralization and decentralization as land changed hands or states changed leaders. Sometimes this took periods of time like the game already reflects with autonomy, other times attempts were made and immediately revoked because it was too rebellious. Having sliders set to points above or below 50% should add or remove revolt risk accordingly, with 50% as the default 'zero point' where you get no autonomy revolting, but also only running at 50% efficiency. As you mention, cultural acceptance, separatism and possibly distance from capital should impact that factor also.

This might add a greater strategic element to provincial autonomy, where you can lower it in your newer or non-accepted lands in wartime, at the risk of exploding into rebellion as your demands for greater production and removal of liberties for the war effort are met with refusal. If you see a war as being a drawn out war of attrition, you could crank it down in the heartlands and crank it up for a short time in the more rebellious lands, as though you conceded some luxuries over to a local figure to get them to agree to a war they were not supportive of. War exhaustion, instead of adding base unrest, could be retooled instead adjust the 'zero point' of your autonomy, where you receive no revolt risk for being at. What starts out at 50% might slide up to 55% or 60% in a horrible war, maybe even 70% or 80% when you are at breaking point.

The player might get events to be able to bribe or woo local figures for a timed modifier on a province that might reduce the zero point by 10% for 20 years. Throw it in as events for Aristocratic, to make it worth taking more often (as well as Pluto, but that is good already). Other things might happen which piss the locals off too, knocking the zero point up.

Right now autonomy is a value the player doesn't really look at after they take a province. They crank it up once to reduce revolt risk, park some troops down on it for a while, and then forget about it. You might get an event once every 50 or 100 years that knocks it up by 5% or 10%, and the Netherlands with 100%. But those situations are both rare or exceptional. If you are like me, you might get Economic ideas to get the modifier. But really, you are not actually interacting with it much. You are using the mechanic once, and not looking back.

Since government ranks have been massively adjusted recently which impacts autonomy, I can understand why the team miiiight not be willing to look at autonomy again any time soon. But I don't think it is a very fun or interesting mechanic as it is now. It has some strategic depth, but only very superficial, one time depth. That is probably because it is a very rigid mechanic, with a huge cooldown timer. Adding some more flexibility to it will really make it feel a lot deeper. To stop it being gamed easily with "well I will drop it in war, then immediately raise it when things get hairy, bullet dodged", make it work like troop morale. When you move the slider it takes time to get to the position you want. Maybe a 6 months or a year to go from 50% to 0%, and two years for 0% to 100%. That way the player can't just change it when they see provinces suddenly go red in the rebel sidebar. Also, higher ranks of government should lower the time it takes to actually get to the desired autonomy.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 3, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sorced posted:

The province needs to count as distant overseas for the 50% discount to apply. A province is distant overseas if it's not on the same continent as you are and you don't have a land connection (straits count) to it. When you hover over the button the game correctly says that you'll get the discount because you don't own the connecting provinces yet. But once you annex the land you generally take the connecting provinces too which will make you ineligible for the discount when it actually matters.

Thanks!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

nessin posted:

If you turn off the fog of war that can happen. The other alternative is if you're on Ironman mode or have monthly autosaves your computer is stuttering at the end of each month so it can save. That happens to me where at speed 5 the game progresses so quickly through a month that it appears as if the game goes super quick for a few seconds then goes unresponsive for a few more when saving, then back again.

i get it pretty much everywhere no matter what, and it's really annoying. i've noticed complaints on the paradox forums so maybe the new patch will address some issues

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I hope the devs do something with natives in uncolonized provinces - they spam your conquistadors with pointless battles and you pretty much have to exterminate them with Attack Natives if you want to colonize somewhere like the Philippines. In less aggressive provinces you can simply ignore them and then when your colony becomes a city, the natives disappear and give you a tiny development bonus. The mechanic seems like a holdover from long ago that adds little to the game, and if it were revised and expanded you could have a lot of interesting stuff going on with the assimilation of cultures, with alliance or conflict with natives, etc.

My Japan is now westernized in 1607 and owns several colonial nations, despite the fact that my CNs are all babies who can't defend themselves against indigenous rebels. Time for 200 years of getting into fights with everyone in the world! I'm eager to try out protectorates and trade companies on all my Asian buddies.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Played a quick Revolutionary France game. The fort system helped me out a ton, I could go back behind my forts and recoup my troops and pick my battles. Won a couple decisive wars and was in the middle of a third when it hit 1821. Most of the colonies were free and I had the USA as an ally except they backed out of this 3rd war I was in.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I just park a 3 unit army on a colony and ignore them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else get really awful stutter at max speed? i'm way over the requirements for the game and yet it's stuttering while looking around the map, but remains smooth when the game is paused
It's always been like this. I assume it's just that when the game thread(s) are maxing out a core they interfere with the rendering thread since they share information. Actually playing at speed 5 is pretty impractical anyway so just turn it down a notch if you want to do stuff.

• Locked thread