Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was studying PowerShell, but I set that aside for now. I'm finishing my degree, and these summer classes are eating up my lunch breaks already. I will probably finish out a month of lunches before I go all-out on my programming portfolio, though. Just to get it under my belt if programming doesn't work out.

Is there any way to set up a signature in zendesk?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Speaking of powershell, are there any recommended resources for learning how to use it for sys admin tasks? I'm trying to really improve the workflow in my department and it would be so nice to learn how to do everything through PowerShell.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've been at my new job for three weeks and I'm already getting cold call emails from recruiters.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chalets the Baka posted:

Speaking of powershell, are there any recommended resources for learning how to use it for sys admin tasks? I'm trying to really improve the workflow in my department and it would be so nice to learn how to do everything through PowerShell.

I'd start with this book unless you're already way beyond it: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617291080

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chalets the Baka posted:

I started small and I used it for everything i could, even if i wasn't sure it will actually save me time. 1) it is experience in it and 2) if I do the task again, i did end up saving time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Also, even though it's been around for like 8 years, people still don't use it and you can really set yourself apart.

For the job I'm starting soon, I think that it was a key factor in the hiring decision; When I was going through my technical interview, I wasn't feeling very confident until the end when it got to the "Any questions" phase of the interview. I don't remember what question I asked, but it ended with me saying something like "I don't know how to do that through the GUI, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a commandlet for it in Powershell. Even though I mentioned powershell in my cover letter and resume, one of the interviewers said "You know powershell?!" and kicked off a few more questions about powershell.

Or maybe it didn't matter at all. In any case, it didn't hurt.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also, even though it's been around for like 8 years, people still don't use it and you can really set yourself apart.

This is the weirdest thing about people in IT. Everyone thinks Windows is a "GUI" OS.

Really, just start using Powershell for everything. Once you get a kick for it nearly everything faster. Use tab to auto complete.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I've been at my new job for three weeks and I'm already getting cold call emails from recruiters.

I don't think this ever stops unless you completely delete yourself from LinkedIn and all job search sites, and then change all of your contact info. Recruiters gonna recruit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Just came across this today, Goddamn :aaa:

The Other Microsoft

Disclaimer: :can:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Went to replace 1 of 2 domain controllers in a DC because it has been having problems. Turned out that its problems have been caused by the other domain controller (huh?) and well, now I have 0 domain controllers in that datacenter. Time to recover, I suppose...

I feel like Michael Corleone, suspecting one guy then, it was you Fredo, all along it was you.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

Just came across this today, Goddamn :aaa:

The Other Microsoft

Disclaimer: :can:

The Bernie Sanders thread is in GBS

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My boss finally showed up to work after being MIA since June 23, for 2 hours. I sat down and explained my huge list of reservations of touching our email and how I don't know how anything works and his answer was a completely uninterested "do it anyway"

I begin to make a copy of our live email to send to the new machine which saturated the disk I/O. 30 minutes later this email chain occurs because someone mentioned their email was slow.

quote:

The live database is being copied over to the dev machine. The disk I/O is being saturated at the moment.

quote:

Who told you to do that?

quote:

You and IBM.

quote:

I asked you to create a step by step guide this morning.
We have to do this after hours. I cannot take the risk of emails going down, given and age and complexity of our email servers even coping is risky in working hours.

What the gently caress is this. I gave you a 10 minute speech on why it's a bad idea and what could go wrong and you explicitly told me to do it anyway. You told me to come up with a procedure and do it.
Everything this guy tells me to do is stupid, wrong, or inconsistent with what I was told hours ago.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 2, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone who is an admin/architect of that type of setup is universally terrible at their job. Including management.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Reading this thread because of you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

My boss finally showed up to work after being MIA since June 23, for 2 hours. I sat down and explained my huge list of reservations of touching our email and how I don't know how anything works and his answer was a completely uninterested "do it anyway"

Please tell me you got that in writing instead of verbally.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
No but I should have.

I was really offended because he didn't give a poo poo about what I had to say and I didn't want to push the issue of him already thinking I'm an idiot by telling him to sign a paper.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Having a ticketing / tracking system is a great way of sidestepping "I don't trust you, I want it in writing" under the guise of organization.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The craziest part is this situation is still a major upgrade from his previous duties literally picking up trash and cleaning out hen houses :wtc:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Methanar posted:

No but I should have.

I was really offended because he didn't give a poo poo about what I had to say and I didn't want to push the issue of him already thinking I'm an idiot by telling him to sign a paper.

Always get this kind of stuff in writing. Anything that modifies or affects a production environment should always have the change detailed and confirmed in writing. You will be the first one under the bus every time if it goes sideways and there was only a verbal commitment.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
What's the best way to cover your butt when all you have is a verbal confirmation? Send an email to your boss recapping the meeting?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm one of two people who work here, and I'm gone in 7 weeks. He's really not interested in writing down anything and he'd probably get really pissy and refuse if I told him to sign his name.

Maybe he's scared of it breaking and wants me to be blamed if it does go wrong?

Even things that I've fixed previously, I was told to not waste my time making documentation for what was wrong and how I fixed it because he's not going to read it. I ignored and him and gave the people who were affected by the issue (phones interfering with mill measurement equipment) documentation instead.

At first he held his reference hostage in basically everything but I don't even care about it now. I have enough people that I've helped who are willing to bend over backwards for me.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mouse Cadet posted:

What's the best way to cover your butt when all you have is a verbal confirmation? Send an email to your boss recapping the meeting?
Minutes, takeaways, and review of personal action items.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mouse Cadet posted:

Seriously, I take notes for every single meeting I'm in, even if I have little to contribute. And then after the meeting, I always send out minutes to everyone, and call out any action items.

A few times I haven't, since the meeting had no take aways for me or my team, so whatever, and I got an email from my manager "where are the notes?" Pavlovian.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We've lost a couple of members of technical staff this week, but it's OK because we're getting an extra bean counter and someone to look after a reception for a company that never has people just walking in off the street.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thanks Ants posted:

We've lost a couple of members of technical staff this week, but it's OK because we're getting an extra bean counter and someone to look after a reception for a company that never has people just walking in off the street.

you say receptionist, I say "Social Media Coordinator"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

quote:
Who told you to do that?
quote:
You and IBM.
quote:
I asked you to create a step by step guide this morning.
We have to do this after hours. I cannot take the risk of emails going down, given and age and complexity of our email servers even coping is risky in working hours.

He came back to work at the end of the day while I was talking to IBM and pulled me into his office about how I'm not following instructions, undermining him because people would rather ask me for help than him (while he was gone for a week and a half), I'm lying to him, etc . He didn't give me permission to call IBM, make a backup of the email database, etc so I am on probation and next time he has to talk to me about my actions I'll be fired.

While I had the chance I pushed hard the issue of "are you serious we have no backups and you want me to 'do it'" and how this motivated me to make a backup of the NSFs. He assured me management is aware of the situation and he himself knows the risks and that I should trust him because he's got 10 years experience on me. Then just a minor tirade about how I'm bad at customer service and ruining his perfect relationship with management.

Am I wrong here or does create a step by step guide really not constitute calling IBM.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
He may be on the brink of being fired for reasons he can't understand. Document everything, cover your rear end. Don't count on him being able to give you a reference even if he wants to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

He came back to work at the end of the day while I was talking to IBM and pulled me into his office about how I'm not following instructions, undermining him because people would rather ask me for help than him (while he was gone for a week and a half), I'm lying to him, etc . He didn't give me permission to call IBM, make a backup of the email database, etc so I am on probation and next time he has to talk to me about my actions I'll be fired.

While I had the chance I pushed hard the issue of "are you serious we have no backups and you want me to 'do it'" and how this motivated me to make a backup of the NSFs. He assured me management is aware of the situation and he himself knows the risks and that I should trust him because he's got 10 years experience on me. Then just a minor tirade about how I'm bad at customer service and ruining his perfect relationship with management.

Am I wrong here or does create a step by step guide really not constitute calling IBM.

This is a person that doesn't know what they are doing and is spiraling out of control. Just stay the course. Make sure anything he has you do has nothing left up to doubt.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Methanar posted:

Apologize profusely whilst searching for greener pastures in the meanwhile.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

If this wasn't in writing it never happened. If he was just missing from the office for a few weeks he is probably being fired and trying to find a reason that he can't be fired.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 6, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just use it as a good example of what not to do. For the next 40 days only do things that you find educational or entertaining. Ignore your boss, collect your $5,000 and your resume bullet point and move on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf0SBmWL1U

came across this randomly while going through the home lab thread. DAF put on a pretty useful little show a bit ago.

It's kinda interesting putting a voice to the posts and yea you can kinda hear the smug emanating.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Methanar posted:

I have 40 more work days here before I go back to school and I'm seriously considering if it's not worth it. If I were to stay for another 40 work days I'd only make $5000 after tax.

I have zero obligations and could leave any time and never come back. My home life as long as I work here is horrible: I'm living with my grandparents, one of which is dying of cancer and the other is an abusive rear end in a top hat who's abused his wife for 40 years. He's known for preventing his wife, who loves her grandchildren and children immensely, from visiting her grandchildren and generally has absolute control over her and always has. It's also been very loudly declared that I am "loving dumber than loving dumb" and the 75 year old man himself could still beat me up instantly. He says there would only be two hits, on my head and then me hitting the floor.

Aside from working with someone insane.

This just got really e/n but I don't really have any friends around that I could talk to; the internet will have to do. I know the obvious SA answer of go nuclear will be said the way it was for Selif or whoever the european working nothing was but I really don't know. I'd be breaking my dying grandma's heart who's overjoyed to have me live with her by leaving, as horrible and depressing as it is for me.

Sounds like an all-around lovely situation.

No one has the right to make you uncomfortable or stressed, but it's up to you to decide when the line is crossed. In a perfect world, one's boss is always helpful and knowledgeable, a perfect mentor, but the real world has idiots and psychopaths. But if you decide that no one has the right to make your life difficult, it's much easier to stand up for oneself as well.

In this case, it sounds like your boss is rather incompetent and stressed about it finally making its way to management. However, he also sounds incompetent enough to realize the real problem (him) and he'd rather blame what most recently changed, you. In your situation I would start require everything in writing before doing anything. There's no need to go full formal, just recap as clearly as you can any verbal instructions you have received and send a professional email asking for confirmation about your understanding.

Boss posted:

Hi {name},

Here is the to do I put together since we last spoke, could you take a look and see that I didn't miss anything vital?

* Todo 1
* Todo 2

// Methanar

Additionally, I would even consider keeping a log of the current situation (both him, and the technical side) and send it to management. If this is a good company, they will appreciate learning about an incompetent middle-boss and you will be remembered as a great summer employee. If not, who cares. Again, you are the one behaving professionally and no one has the right to make your life stressful.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I share an office with our monitoring guy. He sent me a message on Lync one day asking me to add a host to puppet before he added it to our monitoring system. Months later now the host was never added to the monitoring system and he's telling people it's because I never told him I was done setting up puppet on it and his evidence for this is that I didn't respond to his Lync message.

EDIT: I just checked to see whatever happened to the change request for the creation of this host. It's sitting half completed in our ITIL system... owned by the monitoring guy.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 3, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Does your monitoring system have an API? Having hosts add themselves on first boot is an easy way to prevent dumb poo poo like that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SaltLick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf0SBmWL1U

came across this randomly while going through the home lab thread. DAF put on a pretty useful little show a bit ago.

It's kinda interesting putting a voice to the posts and yea you can kinda hear the smug emanating.

Everybody hates on DAF but these were actually very helpful and a good effort

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Methanar posted:

I have zero obligations and could leave any time and never come back. My home life as long as I work here is horrible: I'm living with my grandparents, one of which is dying of cancer and the other is an abusive rear end in a top hat who's abused his wife for 40 years. He's known for preventing his wife, who loves her grandchildren and children immensely, from visiting her grandchildren and generally has absolute control over her and always has. It's also been very loudly declared that I am "loving dumber than loving dumb" and the 75 year old man himself could still beat me up instantly. He says there would only be two hits, on my head and then me hitting the floor.

Don't take it personally. And I wouldn't walk out on the job, sounds like it's standard procedure to keep your head down and phone it in anyway

e: Random semantics question for anybody. When it comes to summaries or technical skills on a resume, do you call it "Networks" or "Networking"?

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 3, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Everybody hates on DAF but these were actually very helpful and a good effort

That's the tragedy of DAF. If he was completely worthless he'd have been banned into the ground, but when he's in the right zone he's a pretty competent guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

e: Random semantics question for anybody. When it comes to summaries or technical skills on a resume, do you call it "Networks" or "Networking"?
I don't use either, because it's really vague; it's like writing "Computers." I go into specific skills if they're relevant (if I even need a "skills" section in the first place, because let's face it, it's there for keyword filters and HR drones).

Past a certain career level, the section labeled Skills really just becomes Unsubstantiated Claims. Show, don't tell.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 3, 2015