Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No that's just GW's typical, decades-long unwavering inability to use exact language. What they mean is that you can (only) use shooting attacks in the shooting phase and can (only) use melee attacks in the melee phase.

You can definitely shoot and then melee in the same turn, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

I understand, but you're aware Warhammer has been haphazardly ripping off cultural heritages for its entire existence, right? From the not-English Albion to the not-German Empire to the not-Egyptian Tomb Kings and the not-... well OK, outright Japanese Nippon, practically everything in the old Warhammer world was a case of a thin veneer stretched over poorly-researched historical cultures and peoples.

Lots of folks rip off or just outright use the old norse pantheon, probably on the assumption that nobody still worships them in earnest so it shouldn't be offensive.

They generally don't rip off mythologies wholesale and then erase the actual cultures from it. They've stuck mostly to offensive stereotypes they've tried their best to forget or downplay over time. The Tomb Kings were presumably pseudo-egyptians still, just like the Albion people were celts/picts and the German Empire people were clearly Germanic stereotypes with silly Germanic-sounding names. They didn't replace Hans and Friedrich with random nounverb names.

This is them taking the elements of a culture and erasing the actual people and history entirely to replace them with their own. Like, games that steal Norse/Viking stuff generally do at the very least feature Norse/Vikings, overplayed and stereotyped as they might be. They were even in the Old World that way. This is outright deletion.

They'll probably get away with it easier; it's not like Norse culture has a history of being oppressed by a foreign power or something. We're not talking post-colonial literature studies here. But it's offensive to me on a pretty goddamn personal level regardless.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the only targeting limitations for attacks are:
- the target is within range
- the target can TLOS its target (IMPORTANT: nothing about arcs)

shooting in combat is in. shooting into combat is in. shooting out of combat into another unit is in. shooting out of combat into another friendly combat is also in.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hahaha

so does that mean much like in current 40k, assault only armies are kinda hosed???

wouldnt ranged units be kind of just as good at melee as melee units, now that WS vs WS to hit no longer exists???

I am gay???

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So I'm reading this setting background.

Sigmar is a thunder god. He reigns in Azyrheim. His army is composed of immortal, ever-regenerating warriors drawn from the ranks of dead mortal champions. There are nine worlds, and you travel between them using bridges of light.

I'm Icelandic, I am generally tired of people haphazardly and lazily ripping off my cultural heritage for their games, and Warhammer has just jumped a loving shark right over my head while flipping me a twin-tailed bird.

e: like gently caress this game I am straight up offended by this poo poo. This just crossed a line I didn't know I had. I know Norse myth isn't exactly sacred in game circles but jesus loving christ.

Sounds like this game's pushed you up to the state of emergency. :(

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

hahaha

so does that mean much like in current 40k, assault only armies are kinda hosed???

wouldnt ranged units be kind of just as good at melee as melee units, now that WS vs WS to hit no longer exists???

I am gay???

it means that armies that have models w/ a not terrible combat profile as well as a decent ranged weapon (skull cannons, leadbelchers, irondrakes) are loving terrifying.

looks like all of the shooting modifiers are gone and cover is now a +save like in 40k, so expect wood elves to run rampant

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghur, the Realm of Beasts

It's like they're not even trying!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

shooting in combat is in. shooting into combat is in. shooting out of combat into another unit is in. shooting out of combat into another friendly combat is also in.

does this also mean I can shoot at my own dudes if I want???

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

does this also mean I can shoot at my own dudes if I want???

play an empire general that shoots himself in the head whenever he gets into combat. forge your own narrative and spray your own brains onto the battlefield

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
wait lol, yes does that mean you could even target yourself???!?!?!??!

!!!!

???

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Sigmar is a thunder god. He reigns in Azyrheim. His army is composed of immortal, ever-regenerating warriors drawn from the ranks of dead mortal champions. There are nine worlds, and you travel between them using bridges of light.

I'm Icelandic, I am generally tired of people haphazardly and lazily ripping off my cultural heritage for their games, and Warhammer has just jumped a loving shark right over my head while flipping me a twin-tailed bird.

e: like gently caress this game I am straight up offended by this poo poo. This just crossed a line I didn't know I had. I know Norse myth isn't exactly sacred in game circles but jesus loving christ.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

it depends on if you can see yourself. make sure you have an arm stretched out on the model or something to TLoS applies

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what if I model a skeleton holding his head in one hand, which is looking at his other arm

the other arm is holding a pistol, aimed at the head

rofl

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

what if I model a skeleton holding his head in one hand, which is looking at his other arm

the other arm is holding a pistol, aimed at the head

rofl

so long as missile weapons don't have minimum ranges, consider this narrative forged

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lmao

if min ranges are a thing then; skeleton holding a huge selfie stick with a gun pointing at his face

lol

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Chaos dwarf blunderbusses are now the OP weapon in age of sigmor

Shooting into all the combats.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Lol if you think the person who wrote these rules even knew chaos dwarfs were a thing

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Saint Drogo posted:

Lol if you think the person who wrote these rules even knew chaos dwarfs were a thing

There is a warscroll for the Hell Cannon, therefore they know a Chaos Dwarf exists!

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I am so tempted to print the rules out, go through them with a highlighter, take them into the local GW and ruin some nerd kids day.

On one hand, they're just the poor fuckers that have to push this hot mess.

On the other, they had a massive sale on movement trays last week, and last night put up photos up of them smiling as they throw FB stuff into the garbage.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
does this mean if I goto my local GWs dumpster, there will be loads of free WHFB kits???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonna read this whole poo poo and jot up my feelings as I go:

The first little intro reads like its pleading anyone to beleive this will be good, "crammed to the brim with two armies!"
Sigmar is hurled through the warp clinging onto the fragment of the old warhammer world, the great drake dracothion comes up to him and is like "hey bro, drop that old poo poo, have you seen these sick new realms?"
Sigmar runs around the worlds which are already populated with humans for reasons, he fights monsters and conan's it up like the Emprah and forges a perfect imperium out of making alliances with squatted armies and fancy new ones.
Everything falls to poo poo because Chaos does what it does and things become 40k planescape.
One of the realms Sigmar discovers is the Chaos realm, genius probably shouldn't have trusted it.
Chaos Gods get bored eating the Old world (that sigmar was clinging to? wat?) and turn their attention to Sigmar's new home.
Sigmar's grand alliance is broken by "the greatest of betrayals" so some kind of Horus Heresy event I assume.
Archaon shows up and is like "sup" and loving wrecks everything, Sigmar bravely hides in his treehouse on Azyr.
After two centuries of Archaon killing everyone in the realms "The God King" turns up and hes been hanging around with Grungi who is still here and they've made space marines together in the treehouse. I wish they weren't making Sigmar be the emperor, cause this would have been a fun image if he wasn't now a god king with a heavy heart and a secret grand plan.
The spacemarines are chosen from the best people in the realm and magicked in to be body-horrored into brainwashed justice monsters.
The setting is Sigmar's strike back against chaos for the first time since they wrecked the bubble realms. So we may well get a Sigmar model. This also makes me think we might see a sorta vaguely Warmahordish approach to continuing the lore where as Sigmars fight against chaos gets more intense bigger models come out End Times style, then presumably they squat it all and start over next year. Vaguely possible this could be how they actually release a proper ninth edition and this is a filler "chapter" setting up the new world with a simple ruleset. But only if you're childishly optimistic, its much more likely this just becomes an excuse to have everything be time limited formations.
Stormcastmarines have purity seals
Khorgoraths eat blood and skulls
bloodreavers trick their captives into becoming khorne worshipping cannibals
oh my god theres so much more okay heres some stormcast backstory, their veins and armour is made of the remains of the old world which the chaos gods were supposed to be chewing on until recently so i dont know what
Sigmarines respawn in Azyr when killed but go hollow or something, maybe a setup for future chaos sigmarines
and oh its over that was quick, the lore is eh... more buzzwords than hooks.

Sorry for the word salad.

Bonus terrible shitwords:

Vandus Hammerhand and his Thunderstrike Brotherhood
Great Drake Dracothion
Anactos Skyhelm, Lord of the Skyhost
Skuldrak the Khorgorath and his Bloodstoker, Vekh the Flayer
Threx Skullbrand is the Bloodsecrator of the Goretide and carries Khorne's Portal of Skulls

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

They generally don't rip off mythologies wholesale and then erase the actual cultures from it. They've stuck mostly to offensive stereotypes they've tried their best to forget or downplay over time. The Tomb Kings were presumably pseudo-egyptians still, just like the Albion people were celts/picts and the German Empire people were clearly Germanic stereotypes with silly Germanic-sounding names. They didn't replace Hans and Friedrich with random nounverb names.

This is them taking the elements of a culture and erasing the actual people and history entirely to replace them with their own. Like, games that steal Norse/Viking stuff generally do at the very least feature Norse/Vikings, overplayed and stereotyped as they might be. They were even in the Old World that way. This is outright deletion.

They'll probably get away with it easier; it's not like Norse culture has a history of being oppressed by a foreign power or something. We're not talking post-colonial literature studies here. But it's offensive to me on a pretty goddamn personal level regardless.

please tell me more about how you feel about this

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda lovely tbh

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nopantsjack posted:

Bonus terrible shitwords:

Vandus Hammerhand and his Thunderstrike Brotherhood
Great Drake Dracothion
Anactos Skyhelm, Lord of the Skyhost
Skuldrak the Khorgorath and his Bloodstoker, Vekh the Flayer
Threx Skullbrand is the Bloodsecrator of the Goretide and carries Khorne's Portal of Skulls

I hope there is a slaanesh army supplement that is literally 50 shade of grey with some of the names and phrases Warhammered.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

^

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

does this mean if I goto my local GWs dumpster, there will be loads of free WHFB kits???

No, they're all being sent back and then buried in the Arizona desert

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Sigmarines respawn in Azyr when killed but go hollow or something, maybe a setup for future chaos sigmarines

There are immortal warriors who lose a bit of themselves when they die? Gee I wonder why that sounds familiar...

:darksouls:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Best of luck to anyone who tries to say "CHAMON" without saying it in a terrible Michael Jackson impersonation. CHAMON-AH!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

GW Death Pool: This just corssed a line I didn't know I had.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nash posted:

I just traded in some Magic cards that I haven't played with in years and traded the store credit for a bastiladon.

I'm making it with the laser.

Today, a card went from $40 where it has always been to $90. I could sell that and buy the ankylosaurus but it's the principle of the thing. :/

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rulebook Heavily posted:

fuckin lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i mean i'd get being mad about appropriating norse mythology but your ancestors willingly gave that up like 500-800 years ago so :shrug:

edit: i'm half Lithuanian do i get a right to demand reparations from the mongols?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
catholics better get mad at lord of the rings because have i got news for you

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

i mean i'd get being mad about appropriating norse mythology but your ancestors willingly gave that up like 500-800 years ago so :shrug:

edit: i'm half Lithuanian do i get a right to demand reparations from the mongols?

"Gave up" as in "is still taught in schools from elementary onwards as an active part of Icelandic culture, in the original language, complete with an organized religion?" Like if you think this isn't a living thing, sorry I guess. Now you know. A lot of people believe that, presumably because it's something used to justify stealing elements of it all the time. And normally I wouldn't give a particular poo poo, it's just when someone does it, erases the actual culture out of it and then tries to trademark and claim ownership over it that it gets lovely. That's a new level of bullshit.

The irony of it is, I can see what they're trying to do. They base their setting on Norse myth, but erase all references to Norse cultural concepts so they can trademark everything and claim ownership and challenge knockoff makers willy nilly with their totally unique look and feel and concept. But if anyone can demonstrate that Age of Sigmar is based on Norse mythology, and anyone can do this trivially, they can just make their own knockoff "Lightning Men" or "Thunder Warriors," say they based them on Norse myth independently of Age of Sigmar (since you can't copyright or trademark that sort of thing) and get high off GWs fuming rage. The stupid nounverb-everything-so-it-is-trademarkable strategy is undercut by their decision to do this. So I guess I can feel better about GWs poo poo because they shot their own foot doing it.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"Gave up" as in "is still taught in schools from elementary onwards as an active part of Icelandic culture, in the original language, complete with an organized religion?" Like if you think this isn't a living thing, sorry I guess. Now you know. A lot of people believe that, presumably because it's something used to justify stealing elements of it all the time. And normally I wouldn't give a particular poo poo, it's just when someone does it, erases the actual culture out of it and then tries to trademark and claim ownership over it that it gets lovely. That's a new level of bullshit.

The irony of it is, I can see what they're trying to do. They base their setting on Norse myth, but erase all references to Norse cultural concepts so they can trademark everything and claim ownership and challenge knockoff makers willy nilly with their totally unique look and feel and concept. But if anyone can demonstrate that Age of Sigmar is based on Norse mythology, and anyone can do this trivially, they can just make their own knockoff "Lightning Men" or "Thunder Warriors," say they based them on Norse myth independently of Age of Sigmar (since you can't copyright or trademark that sort of thing) and get high off GWs fuming rage. The stupid nounverb-everything-so-it-is-trademarkable strategy is undercut by their decision to do this. So I guess I can feel better about GWs poo poo because they shot their own foot doing it.

Do they actually actively teach Norse mythology in Icelandic schools? Thats pretty interesting, whats the pantheon called in the native tongue?
Asatru I guess.
And this is pretty metal.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/05/why-iceland-is-building-a-temple-to-its-pagan-gods.html

"The God of Thunder is making a triumphant return to Iceland. After 1,000 years without a temple of worship to the Norse gods, Iceland is resurrecting its pagan roots.

A collective of followers called Ásatrúarfélagiđ has started construction on the shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg, that will overlook the capital city of Reykjavík—for the first time since the Viking religion was superseded by Christianity."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They're just the "Ásar" or "Ćsir", depending on context. Ásatrú (Ása-faith) is the religion, like Kristintrú (christian-faith) is the Christian religion.

By the way I will have zero problems with someone using Norse myth to do that knockoff thing I mentioned to troll GWs rear end, although I'll understand if no one wants to make knockoffs for a game that will fail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

They're just the "Ásar" or "Ćsir", depending on context. Ásatrú (Ása-faith) is the religion, like Kristintrú (christian-faith) is the Christian religion.

By the way I will have zero problems with someone using Norse myth to do that knockoff thing I mentioned to troll GWs rear end, although I'll understand if no one wants to make knockoffs for a game that will fail.

I know it's sort of off topic for the gently caress GW thread, but I'd be genuinely interested to hear more about Iceland's relationship with Norse religion in the modern day.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

That's exactly how it works in Warhammer Diskwars, and it's actually pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Being that it's a English company don't they have as much cultural right to the myths through their AngloSaxon heritage as you do through your Norse heritage?

• Locked thread