Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rei_ posted:

what level should i be before challenging the sandworms? I'm level 15 which is weird because I don't feel like I've been running from battles a lot but it's an all-caster party right now so everything is hitting harder and not being hit hard enough.

I'm still not sure how to grind with this party. Crescent Island I guess?

What's your lineup? 15-16 is usually when I am pushing past Soul Cannon, even, so that's not that underleveled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

White Mage/Time Mage/Bard

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rei_ posted:

White Mage/Time Mage/Bard

Ah. That'll be stickier, but worst case scenario you go Time/Time/White/Bard and snap some rods in his dumb face and Cura up the retaliatory Gravities.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Trying to figure out how to reasonably down Omega with White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon. I can reliably damage him thanks to Odin, and with enough levels I can mostly deal with his damage, but I have no way around Encircle. Outside of praying it misses enough times (or he uses Rocket Punch instead), I'm not sure how to go about it. Anything I might be missing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Black Balloon posted:

Trying to figure out how to reasonably down Omega with White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon. I can reliably damage him thanks to Odin, and with enough levels I can mostly deal with his damage, but I have no way around Encircle. Outside of praying it misses enough times (or he uses Rocket Punch instead), I'm not sure how to go about it. Anything I might be missing?

Not really. Wear as much magic evasion-carrying gear as you can (Spirit of FFV has numbers) and pray.

That is, honestly, a team I wouldn't bother with trying Omega with, for what it's worth.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Kyrosiris posted:

Not really. Wear as much magic evasion-carrying gear as you can (Spirit of FFV has numbers) and pray.

That is, honestly, a team I wouldn't bother with trying Omega with, for what it's worth.

Yeah that's about what I thought. It's technically beatable but I'm not inclined to waste that much time on it. Oh well. Shinryu's hosed at least.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

That's the first run, in the books! Omega was too dodge-y for my straight damage race to really seem viable, but Shinryuu was trivial (easier than Neo Exdeath!). Probably gonna re-reg after it's processed but dunno if I'll finish it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rei_ posted:

I'm still not sure how to grind with this party. Crescent Island I guess?

Buy a huge stack of Frost Rods, go to the forest outside Istory, and snap them in Mini Dragon faces. Should take 2-3 snaps per battle at first, and they give the best EXP per encounter this side of World 3. Just be careful since they can and will turn you into a fine red mist if they get a chance.

(Unrelatedly, I vote we call this grinding method "dragondarching it")

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Win and Triple Crown #3.

This run was the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Seriously, it was awesome.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

(Unrelatedly, I vote we call this grinding method "dragondarching it")

It is so ordered.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yay, I got the airship! That dreaded Soul Cannon fight everyone is talking about is coming, isn't it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Gotta fight Sandworm/A drat tortoise/Sol Cannon/Clapperclaw with 4 Bards :negative:

Sure I can !Hide through the Wave Cannon but everything else just ughh

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Crayclaw is at least weak to Stop, but Adamantoise with four Bards sounds like a huge pain.

Edit: Oops, misread your post. You're screwed. :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I'm stuck against NED with the following; berserker/berserker/dancer/bard. I currently use my bard to sing hero's rime through the first phase while dancer heals and berserkers beat down on it. Almagest in the second form always wipes me and I don't get a high enough level to beat phase two down fast enough to avoid a cast. Any ideas other than keep grinding? I'm level 42 and just want to get on to a new run already :(

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Singing the speed song is probably more useful than Hero's Rime since it'll give you more actions. Maybe consider gimping your berserkers so that you can max the speed song and then pump Hero's Rime? Two people are more than enough to chump NED with maxed song buffs. You can also Hide to dodge any attack you know is coming.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Can Of Worms posted:

Singing the speed song is probably more useful than Hero's Rime since it'll give you more actions. Maybe consider gimping your berserkers so that you can max the speed song and then pump Hero's Rime? Two people are more than enough to chump NED with maxed song buffs. You can also Hide to dodge any attack you know is coming.

If I just start the battle with my berserkers dead, do they still get buffed by the bard song? I was considering trying that but had no idea if it worked

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You might also want to try and see if you can hit the Almagest portion with Catoblepas (Shoat) from the Magic Lamp. It's low odds, but if you can pull it off, it'll make your life so much easier.

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?
I'm having trouble with Omega right now. I've got Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, and it's been a great team up to this point, but I don't know how to deal with everything that Omega throws at you.

I'm playing the SNES version. My party is level 41 and each character has 1500+ HP. I've got 4 Wall Rings so that everyone (minus the Berserker) can reflect Bolt 3 off of themselves, as well as Flame Shields and Flame Rings to absorb Emission AKA Flamethrower (since Atomic Ray just gets reflected). I've got Bone Mail on one person to protect against the confusion from Rocket Punch, but everyone else is vulnerable to it since I can't equip them with Ribbons or anything. My Black Mage has the Wizard Rod which boosts the damage of Bolt 3 to about 4000, but that's not really enough to kill him before he wipes out my party.

This is my first time making it to the end of the game, so I could definitely be missing an important item or synergy. But I'm kinda stumped right now! Any advice?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
You could also try your luck at Magic Lamp Odin/Shoat. This leaves you with no easy way to take out the last part though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sir_Phobos posted:

I'm having trouble with Omega right now. I've got Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, and it's been a great team up to this point, but I don't know how to deal with everything that Omega throws at you.

I'm playing the SNES version. My party is level 41 and each character has 1500+ HP. I've got 4 Wall Rings so that everyone (minus the Berserker) can reflect Bolt 3 off of themselves, as well as Flame Shields and Flame Rings to absorb Emission AKA Flamethrower (since Atomic Ray just gets reflected). I've got Bone Mail on one person to protect against the confusion from Rocket Punch, but everyone else is vulnerable to it since I can't equip them with Ribbons or anything. My Black Mage has the Wizard Rod which boosts the damage of Bolt 3 to about 4000, but that's not really enough to kill him before he wipes out my party.

This is my first time making it to the end of the game, so I could definitely be missing an important item or synergy. But I'm kinda stumped right now! Any advice?

In order to beat Omega, you need some way to damage him, and some way to cut down on the number of attacks he gets. I'm pretty sure that you don't have anything in the latter category, so maybe next run.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kashuno posted:

If I just start the battle with my berserkers dead, do they still get buffed by the bard song? I was considering trying that but had no idea if it worked

I don't know if they get buffed if they're dead, but you could always try getting them blinded. Maybe going back into the Fire Ship- if you get one of the ghost-looking dudes alone (kill off all the other enemies), they use Flash to blind your whole team. You'll probably have to take the weapons off your berserkers (or give them daggers/knives from the start of the game). Once you've buffed up your speed and then power to high heaven, give them Eye Drops.

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?

ultrafilter posted:

In order to beat Omega, you need some way to damage him, and some way to cut down on the number of attacks he gets. I'm pretty sure that you don't have anything in the latter category, so maybe next run.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So I just encountered Omega for the first time ever. I've read some strategies in this thread that involve beastmasters or bards, and I seem to recall someone saying something about Time Magic being useful, but I can't figure out a way to get past his counters. Do I just need to hope that a reflected Stop works? Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon here. A Trident-wearing Dragoon can damage it well enough, and I have Quick, but it'll still take 25-28 Jumps and I have to pray the Aegis shield blocks Encircle. No one else has the offense, unless I'm reflecting Thundaras onto him for a little under 1k a pop, but those also trigger counters.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leofish posted:

So I just encountered Omega for the first time ever. I've read some strategies in this thread that involve beastmasters or bards, and I seem to recall someone saying something about Time Magic being useful, but I can't figure out a way to get past his counters. Do I just need to hope that a reflected Stop works? Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon here. A Trident-wearing Dragoon can damage it well enough, and I have Quick, but it'll still take 25-28 Jumps and I have to pray the Aegis shield blocks Encircle. No one else has the offense, unless I'm reflecting Thundaras onto him for a little under 1k a pop, but those also trigger counters.

Time Magic is a guaranteed win not because it's useful, but because of the Quickleak exploit: equip a reflect ring, cast Quick, then break a Poison Rod on yourself. It'll reflect Bio onto Omega and inflict Sap, which will sloooooowly whittle his health down. Since you're still under the effects of Quick, Omega won't be able to do anything while his HP ticks down. This takes an insane amount of time (like upwards of an hour even on fast-forward), but is perfectly safe.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Time Magic is a guaranteed win not because it's useful, but because of the Quickleak exploit: equip a reflect ring, cast Quick, then break a Poison Rod on yourself. It'll reflect Bio onto Omega and inflict Sap, which will sloooooowly whittle his health down. Since you're still under the effects of Quick, Omega won't be able to do anything while his HP ticks down. This takes an insane amount of time (like upwards of an hour even on fast-forward), but is perfectly safe.

I see. Okay. Thanks for that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I love Chaos runs. I somehow ended up with berserker/beastmaster/chemist/chemist in my second fiesta. It's such a weird party dynamic. I've got my other three with their careful planning and tons of pre-boss prep, and then there's my zerker, just doing his best Leeroy Jenkins impression.

I also love how it's forcing me to use beastmaster, a class I normally rarely bother with. It's... really powerful if you use it right.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 3, 2015

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

:toot: That's a triple crown!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You stole my team! :argh:

NGDBSS posted:

Welp, got Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dancer for a 750 run. Time to laugh at everything the game attempts to throw at me, because this group is arguably zanier than the previous set (that got me my first triple crown in Fiesta).

(For real, though, good job there. And good luck for future runs.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My Dragoon is doing a lot better than I expected. Heavy Armor, Shield, elven cape, back row and spending half her turns literally untargetable make her durable as all hell, and 4 times damage in return for taking up an extra turn seems like pretty good returns. I'm also looking forward to trying to jump over stronger enemy attacks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Black Mage/Summoner/Beastmaster/Geomancer, Run 7, Triple Crown 6 done. (O, S, N)

What more is there to say? Get Air Knives. Get Syldra. Tape down the A button. I even managed to cope for being a god-forsaken moron who didn't refill the magic lamp (I did Fork Tower and killed Minotaur with that/snapped rods) and endured a turn of the magical piece of NED going nuts. God bless Golem and Syldra, and god bless Crystelles.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I think I've finally hit a wall with my BM/zerk/zerk/geo party. I want to get the last save point but this guy is wrecking me. Zerker damage is too spread out and eventually those 4 casts in a row wipe out my two playable characters.

Is magic lamp reflected? Maybe I should try that. Or flame rings for aoe firaga heal?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Did it. Will post victory shots in the AM.

Knight, zerker, Beastmaster, dancer.

Interesting party, and I couldn't have done it without releasing a crystelle for mighty guard, and liberal use of the magic lamp.

Knight and Beastmaster were pretty useless by endgame. Relied on sword dance with Excalibur to do the heavy hitting.

Dancers still suck, though. Equip ribbons seems cool until you learn that it fails to protect from zombie and mini. Had two NED fights go south just because of that. Had everything under control, then ZAP! Everyone but the zerker is a zombie.

Not bothering with the optional bosses. I win. It is enough.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kashuno posted:

Ugh I'm stuck against NED with the following; berserker/berserker/dancer/bard. I currently use my bard to sing hero's rime through the first phase while dancer heals and berserkers beat down on it. Almagest in the second form always wipes me and I don't get a high enough level to beat phase two down fast enough to avoid a cast. Any ideas other than keep grinding? I'm level 42 and just want to get on to a new run already :(

The way I did it against NED with a bard and two zerkers (and, admittedly, a summoner, which skews things slightly) was: Start singing Swift Song, other character defends. After ~3 or so defend cycles, barehand punch the bard to stop his singing, have him start Hero's Rime, punch him again when NED spawns and then I guess throw Swords Dances at the Almagest part while the Bard rubs the lamp 3-4 times and hope those + barbarians take it down fast enough, or !hide and repeat?

Comedy option: Have Bard sing for 4-5 defend cycles, punch him, then have him and Dancer sing Sinewy Etude + Hero's Rime and just try to bury him under 9999s

Kyoujin posted:

I think I've finally hit a wall with my BM/zerk/zerk/geo party. I want to get the last save point but this guy is wrecking me. Zerker damage is too spread out and eventually those 4 casts in a row wipe out my two playable characters.

Is magic lamp reflected? Maybe I should try that. Or flame rings for aoe firaga heal?

Reflect your own -aga or Flares off of your party, make sure a berserker has the Assassin's dagger since I think the barriers are death succeptible, and Summons can't be reflected so you could throw the lamp at it, yeah.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I've found the downside to the poison rod quick combo on Omega. He takes loving forever to die, even on fast forward.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyoujin posted:

That's a good question- are the barriers magic lamp Odin-able? There are so many variations on death immunity in this game...

Ok, they're heavy so I guess Odin would not work. But you might be able to just reflect Death spells onto them.

Edit: Also, Death Sickles! Death Sickles for everyone! Derp, reflect. Death Sickles for no one!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Not a bad idea. I'll try reflecting death spells in the morning.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ramos posted:

I've found the downside to the poison rod quick combo on Omega. He takes loving forever to die, even on fast forward.

I'm tempted to try it, and just leave my gameboy advance plugged in and on overnight. I'd miss the death animation, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Leofish posted:

I'm tempted to try it, and just leave my gameboy advance plugged in and on overnight. I'd miss the death animation, though.

Pictures of the Treasure Obtained: Omega Seal screen are fine. :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since I never freelancered in these fiestas before, I didn't realize Garula was vulnerable to paralysis. The whip you get on the mountain is incredibly useful and made him a joke.

Chaos has dealt me Beastmaster/Samurai so far, which means I also get to Freelancer the fire ship. It's actually a bit refreshing, after so many fiestas I've explored every wind and water job pretty thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Quick question, now that my bartz has equip harps, should i just leave him as a berzerker for the rest of the game? should i swap him to blackmage to get !black and make the runic axe better?

~edit

double checked, bartz has level 3 !black, does it get stronger the higher level it is?

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 3, 2015

• Locked thread