Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
nvm i figured it out they are all automatically saved in a folder on your pc. had to download a program to convert them to SGF though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
what program where

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

what program where

http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5248

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

In which Batts doesn't fight, or play Jo/Fuseki in order to demonstrate the power of fundamentals. i might try playing like this for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5-vAZ3Jik

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

o.m. 94 posted:

In which Batts doesn't fight, or play Jo/Fuseki in order to demonstrate the power of fundamentals. i might try playing like this for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5-vAZ3Jik

the best part was the pain he endured not killing weak groups.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've been running at a constant 100 games at a time for like a month now, and in the last week it moved me from 15k to 12k.
I will prove you wrong, OGS.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pander posted:

the best part was the pain he endured not killing weak groups.

His opponent did that for him.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

quote:

Move 128
Xombar [4k]: The r19 tesuji appears in the introduction to Davies's Tesuji in the elementary go series
Move 170
Goldorak [3k]: the elementary nature of tesujis...
Move 240
Goldorak [3k]: lower left might have been bigger
Xombar [4k]: interesting game
Goldorak [3k]: anyway was fun
Xombar [4k]: thanks for the game
Goldorak [3k]: there is a bit of uselessness quoting books...
Goldorak [3k]: when facing a Tengen opening
Goldorak [3k]: especially a white one
Goldorak [3k]: ciao
Xombar [4k]: I just practiced that problem
Game Over
Xombar [3k]: so I was too excited not to say anything
Xombar [3k]: ciao
It's the one on which Davies spends seven pages going "betcha dint read this variation hahaha"

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
:siren: Last call for Goon Le4gue: https://online-go.com/tournament/8264 :siren:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
how can i be playing every day and doing tsumego every day and still getting worse...

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Speaking of tsumego: can one take too long on tsumego? I've been trying to follow this advice for solving tsumego (tldr: don't rely on solutions, read things out in your head (without a board) until you're 100% positive of your answer) and I can regularly take about an hour to solve problems like this one (black to play).

I'm still a new-ish player (probably hovering around 20k or so) but I feel legit handicapped when it comes to trying to read out life and death problems. Is this normal, and something I'll just get better at with more practice?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

giogadi posted:

Speaking of tsumego: can one take too long on tsumego? I've been trying to follow this advice for solving tsumego (tldr: don't rely on solutions, read things out in your head (without a board) until you're 100% positive of your answer) and I can regularly take about an hour to solve problems like this one (black to play).

I'm still a new-ish player (probably hovering around 20k or so) but I feel legit handicapped when it comes to trying to read out life and death problems. Is this normal, and something I'll just get better at with more practice?

It's easy to see why the problem you posted would take a long time for a new player - it requires good grasp on snapback and fake eyes. If you don't have those down it will take forever to solve more advanced problems, where you have to recognize those shapes few moves in advance. Grab these http://senseis.xmp.net/?GradedGoProblemsForBeginners to get the basics down. If something is taking you more than a minute just skip it and come back later.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 1, 2015

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Hello !

Is KGS down ? I can't seem to connect ! Thanks

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like i havent improved any in probably the past 8 or 9 months. I want to get better! but, playing games and doing problems is clearly not working for me anymore, which means ive probably reached my natural skill maximum. what is the next 'thing' i should do? get more game reviews? read more books? i usually review my own games to look for where the 'losing move' was, is there other specific things i should be looking for? what do you all do/look for when you review your own games? how often do you try to get games reviewed by a higher level player?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In this tournament I am playing a lot of opponents whom I have never heard of. Who are you people?

uranus posted:

i feel like i havent improved any in probably the past 8 or 9 months. I want to get better! but, playing games and doing problems is clearly not working for me anymore, which means ive probably reached my natural skill maximum. what is the next 'thing' i should do? get more game reviews? read more books? i usually review my own games to look for where the 'losing move' was, is there other specific things i should be looking for? what do you all do/look for when you review your own games? how often do you try to get games reviewed by a higher level player?
I try to get my game reviewed when I am unsure on what I should focus on next.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

tonberrytoby posted:

In this tournament I am playing a lot of opponents whom I have never heard of. Who are you people?

I try to get my game reviewed when I am unsure on what I should focus on next.
I played against 3 of my opponents already in the last tournament, yay!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my losing streak is over! i guess what dwyrin says is true, if all a group needs to do is live, it will live http://eidogo.com/#2TzDWN20e

except he could have killed me with 116 at N15, and probably other ways too. lucky me

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

They're not goons... I think I recognise almost all the goons on the group list

Maybe DQuad made the tournament open? DQuizzle?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Got my first win. Kinda freaking out here.

Also - when is it acceptable etiquette to resign? I recently played a game that I lost pretty badly. About 3/4 though the game it was obvious that I was going to lose, so I passed. But my opponent basically kept playing until all of my stones were captured. Not only did it feel to me like bad sportsmanship, but it was also a waste of time. Would it have been rude of me to resign when it was obvious that I had no chance of keeping any territory?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not at all, the polite thing to do is to resign when you see you cant win, instead of playing on and on when its probably not much fun for either of you anymore (unless your opponent is a sadist). Then you can both get on to another game!

also congrats!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mr. why posted:

Got my first win. Kinda freaking out here.

Also - when is it acceptable etiquette to resign? I recently played a game that I lost pretty badly. About 3/4 though the game it was obvious that I was going to lose, so I passed. But my opponent basically kept playing until all of my stones were captured. Not only did it feel to me like bad sportsmanship, but it was also a waste of time. Would it have been rude of me to resign when it was obvious that I had no chance of keeping any territory?

Yeah just resign when it's clear you lost.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Must have been an open tournament, as I was able to sign up for it without being a member of the SA group. Someone invite Borachon, please.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

uXs posted:

Yeah just resign when it's clear you lost.

I get this absolutely being the right choice in higher-level games, but isn't it worthwhile to just play the game out in a low-level match? I mean, I understand resigning if there's really nothing happening except the opponent killing dead groups, but isn't there value in playing out endgame moves or fighting over undecided territory, even if there's no way you can catch up for a win? I lose most of my games, but those losses are my only chance to practice endgame for instance.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

giogadi posted:

I get this absolutely being the right choice in higher-level games, but isn't it worthwhile to just play the game out in a low-level match? I mean, I understand resigning if there's really nothing happening except the opponent killing dead groups, but isn't there value in playing out endgame moves or fighting over undecided territory, even if there's no way you can catch up for a win? I lose most of my games, but those losses are my only chance to practice endgame for instance.

If you're going to just pass, then resign. But if you want practice, then keep playing with full intensity to learn. That's my attitude, anyway.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah thats a good point, and you never know in kyu games, your opponent could make a huge blunder and you could win after all.

as far as etiquette goes, i think the only time it could be rude to resign is if you go all the way to the very last move, then resign before counting. but even that doesnt really bother me much.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I write this game up not because I played especially badly or well, but because I think it's extremely typical of how my games tend to go, in order that you may feel what it's like to be me.

I try not to spend too much time studying joseki, so I play 4-4 to limit what I need to know. After B 5, Black is probably looking to pincer severely, so instead of a one-space approach, I play a two-space approach. Black pincers anyway.

I play what is probably a crude zokusuji. Still, I got strong, so now I go on the offensive with W 18.

After B 19, W 20 allows Black to settle. Maybe W 20 should've jumped out instead.

I block the corner off, then crudely reinforce my upper right. Black was probably too generous in letting me keep sente; I use it to play sanrensei, coordinating with my new wall.

B 35 invades, and I choose to block from the side; due to B 33, the center is not as valuable. Black makes tiny life. W 50 becomes thin, but I take sente to play W 58. I was starting to wonder if Black would live, but my game plan is not about killing, and the result is quite satisfactory. Black probably should've jumped out instead.

Next, B 59 and 61 attach and crosscut, then Black again makes a tiny shut-in life… Or does he!? W 82 and 84 make it safe for me to descend. B 85 is a mistake, allowing a flower-viewing ko!

I can barely find a ko threat. Perhaps I'm lucky that Black didn't resist with B 95 at j17. Let's imagine that B 85 had lived correctly, that is, that W 92 and 94 didn't exist. Then Black's upper- and left-side territories and White's upper-side and lower-left territories are roughly equal, leaving White's thickness and sente versus Black's upper-right territory and lower-right 3-4 stone. I think the game would still be better for White?

W 98 was timid. W 100 was totally unnecessary.

B 107 was a sizeable number of points, but to allow W 108 was entirely too generous.

120, 121, and 122 are all in the wrong direction.

First it seemed that I got rekt in the corner, but then Black got sealed in, which seems happy enough for White.

W+55.5

Black made two 20-pt. blunders in the endgame, allowing the seki in the marked corner, and White's capture of the other marked stones. The Black stones in the center were played after the game was effectively over, and didn't affect the score. Disregarding the two blunders, the score would be W+15 or perhaps W+20. Even further disregarding moves 85–95, perhaps we cannot even say that White's play was any better than Black's crude attempts at greedily living everywhere.

Lately I felt like I'd finally gotten the hang of attacking for profit, but after going over this game, which is extremely typical of my games except for Black's endgame blunders, I really can't say that my playstyle is sound, only that it's good at provoking mistakes from kyuus, especially Tygem kyuus, either life-and-death mistakes or mistakes in not going deep enough to reduce me. Indeed, I myself am much less comfortable playing against the kind of frameworks I like to construct.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

As a rank beginner, that was an extremely helpful review to read.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Pretty sure I made it Invite Only, then invited literally every goon on the list in the group; there shouldn't be any pubbies in the tourney. But with Obama these days who knows... :goshawk:

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Xom posted:

I try not to spend too much time studying joseki, so I play 4-4 to limit what I need to know. After B 5, Black is probably looking to pincer severely, so instead of a one-space approach, I play a two-space approach. Black pincers anyway. I play what is probably a crude zokusuji. Still, I got strong, so now I go on the offensive with W 18.

The way I generally study joseki is to look up and work on learning the common lines after I butcher them in a game. Sensei's library generally has good discussions of the main lines of play on things that I'll try to learn. If it's not on sensei's or seems pretty obscure, I may look it up in a book, but generally don't worry about actually learning it, as it's likely rare and I probably won't remember it anyway.

In the case of the 3-4/far approach/pincer, the crosscut is the common response: http://senseis.xmp.net/?34PointDistantLowApproachOneSpaceLowPincer

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
(Double-posting)

Since we're analyzing our games here, I'll post some thoughts on my first one, too: https://online-go.com/game/2332298

5: When he approached the corner straight-away, I contemplated extending at the top and making sure I just came away with sente, but decided I didn't want to let him get comfortable on the right side. I played a high approach so I could leave it lightly as needed.

9: jumping out and threatening to connect. After the 10/11 exchange, I felt I could leave the top be and treat it somewhat lightly after 12. I had both Q14 and O10 to make some shape locally, and could always jump out if necessary.

19: Even though I'm "out", I decided to make myself safe here so I can't be chased around more. Wasn't sure if this was too slow. I was planning to make a san-ren-sei on the left if I could get out with sente; my shape is light enough that there was the possibility of it, but I didn't really expect to. Leaving here in gote seemed like the price to pay for getting to three corners first.

21: If he gets L17 first, I'm fenced in while he's connecting up. This seemed like a natural move.

25: Thought about playing E5 instead, but decided I'd just swallow F3 on a large scale and neutralize some of the center influence that white had invested in. He'd get territory for that, but it seemed like a reasonable trade.

37: Thought about playing C7 to reduce the scope of his right side, but decided between helping out my stones on the right side and keeping him from making a double wing at the bottom right.

45: Debated between playing at the bottom and playing on the left. The left keeps him separated, but then my K4 stone starts looking lonely. I was worried about it getting attacked while he built a big bottom right, and getting pressure put on my right side stones at the same time. I guess they're safe enough already, though, so perhaps D8 or thereabouts is better?

48: Honestly expected white to hane here, and was debating between extending to E8 or blocking at C7 when he did. Either seemed okay for me, but wasn't sure what to do. When he pushed to C7, he basically decided for me and I was happy to give up D8 for the opportunity to swallow the F3/4 stones.

60: Thought he might fight a ko here, but I was solid everywhere and he'd have to make the first threat in a huge ko. When I descended at R8, I was planning on giving up P11 stone when he cut at 62 as the cost for demolishing the bottom right and becoming strong in the middle, but then read out I didn't have to.

66: I was going to descend to R12 here before he resigned, since at worst killing the right and connecting at N11 are miai. Even just connecting through having destroyed the right side is a great result.

Questions for others:
  1. In the top right, was the two-space high pincer reasonable and was I okay leaving it to take a corner when I did?
  2. Was 19 a good move? Sometimes I play defensive shape-y moves that feel in hindsight are unnecessary. They frequently pay off against aggressive players who want to cut and fight when they shouldn't but wonder if they're holding me back against stronger players who'll just use the resulting gift of sente to their advantage.
  3. Was 25 the right direction, or should I have done something else?
  4. K4 vs. C7 at 37?
  5. N3 vs. D8 at 45?

[EDIT: Grammar is hard.]

Borachon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 3, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Borachon posted:

Must have been an open tournament, as I was able to sign up for it without being a member of the SA group. Someone invite Borachon, please.

Yeah I quit the tournament. Buncha filthy pubbies

On OGS if you make anything even remotely public about 500 people will try and sign up

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003
KGS is down so I just logged into OGS.. Highest person playing is 4kyu,. Been waiting on a game for a while now. Doesn't seem like many strong players play here :\

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
played a couple irl games yesterday and won them both, woo. one was against someone who claimed to be 7k, gave me a two stone handicap and i won by half a point :o

i'd play all my games in person if i could :'(

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive been thinking of a 'go review club', which would be something like a book club except we'd 'read' a professional game each week and discuss it. alternatively, or additionally, it could be like a writing group, and we'd each submit a game we played that week and the other members would comment on it and critique it. if that was going to be done, the group should probably be limited in size to around 5 or 6 players, since that would give each member 4 or 5 games to look over each week.

what do you all think? i think it would be helpful to have a group of people to talk about go with on skype or messenger or whatever, and share games with. i know we can do that in the thread but making a sort of camaraderie out of it would be more focused and could be even more helpful.

would anyone be interested in joining such a group?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

uranus posted:

ive been thinking of a 'go review club', which would be something like a book club except we'd 'read' a professional game each week and discuss it. alternatively, or additionally, it could be like a writing group, and we'd each submit a game we played that week and the other members would comment on it and critique it. if that was going to be done, the group should probably be limited in size to around 5 or 6 players, since that would give each member 4 or 5 games to look over each week.

what do you all think? i think it would be helpful to have a group of people to talk about go with on skype or messenger or whatever, and share games with. i know we can do that in the thread but making a sort of camaraderie out of it would be more focused and could be even more helpful.

I think this is a great idea. I probably shouldn't take one of the active spots of the group, but I'd love to just sit in and listen/watch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

Sure. Maybe we could have a D/SDK group and a separate DDK group?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Haoma posted:

KGS is down so I just logged into OGS.. Highest person playing is 4kyu,. Been waiting on a game for a while now. Doesn't seem like many strong players play here :\

You can't sort by strength. Lots of Dan games going on but impossible to find and yeah weak ecosystem atm. Give it a couple years

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

uranus posted:

I'm awful at the game but I would love to learn more.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UChBH0KskAIwxntKFblS3cQQ?videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Something wrong with the link: "An error occurred during validation"