Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's kind of the framing device but the actual character of the game is essentially unimportant - it's just a framing device, never really delved into beyond 'there is a prize at the end and the attendants will never lie to you and will answer whatever you ask but will not volunteer information.' It's faceless not because the guy is going to get unmasked but because the guy is not important and you aren't supposed to identify with or care about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Davincie posted:

cowboy bebop is a horrible show to get people into anime because it creates the kind of people who say 'anime is bad except bebop because that is not anime'

that's why you get them into anime with FLCL and other gainax shows instead

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Any links for The Genius?

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/

He(she?) subs a bunch of good Korean shows, including all 3, and soon to be 4, seasons of The Genius. Crime Scene is also a fantastic show, and the second season is wraping up next week.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also an excellent entry-level show to get people into anime. Hell you could probably sit some people down to watch the movie without needing context from the series.

Imo, it's the best show to get people into anime with. It's the kind of thing that everyone can find something to like about so it has a low barrier of entry, but it's anime enough that watching other anime afterwards wouldn't be jarring.

icantfindaname posted:

I was introduced to anime via the first two Evangelion Rebuild movies. It was weird to discover that not all anime are batshit insane.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Imo, it's the best show to get people into anime with. It's the kind of thing that everyone can find something to like about so it has a low barrier of entry, but it's anime enough that watching other anime afterwards wouldn't be jarring

Seems like someone needs to watch k-on and open his heart and mind

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got into it watching Ninja Scroll when I was 15 and thought flying ninjas decapitating stuff was awesome.

Oh wait it still is.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

This is actually true. Friend who had not seen any anime but loved eva (had only seen the first two episodes of Eva), got her to watch FLCL and Gunbuster, then went into the long Eva haul.

Davincie posted:

cowboy bebop is a horrible show to get people into anime because it creates the kind of people who say 'anime is bad except bebop because that is not anime'

Counterpoint: ex who was totally not into anime at all really dug cowboy bebop and then dug FLCL.

Did not dig Gunbuster but I made her watch the whole thing anyway.

Loved Galactic Heroes. Show your loved ones Galactic Heroes.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

This is actually true. Friend who had not seen any anime but loved eva (had only seen the first two episodes of Eva), got her to watch FLCL and Gunbuster, then went into the long Eva haul.

Counterpoint: ex who was totally not into anime at all really dug cowboy bebop and then dug FLCL.

Did not dig Gunbuster but I made her watch the whole thing anyway.

Loved Galactic Heroes. Show your loved ones Galactic Heroes.

Cannot stress this one enough. LOGH is like, one of the greatest shows ever made period, and I've shown it to several friends who hate anime but loved the poo poo out of LoGH

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You and your friends sound boring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just finished reading Claymore and Berserk is one of my favorite series and I'd really like to know if there are more series like them.

That Works posted:

I got into it watching Ninja Scroll when I was 15 and thought flying ninjas decapitating stuff was awesome.

Oh wait it still is.

Ninja Scroll was one of the first anime things I saw, that I recognized as being "anime" which as a kid was somehow different from Dragon Ball and Speed Racer. Late night Teletoon summer specials were rad and warped my fragile little mind. Galaxy Express 999 came on at the same time and I still have a fondness for it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuebot posted:

So I just finished reading Claymore and Berserk is one of my favorite series and I'd really like to know if there are more series like them.

Shin Angyo Onshi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's blowing my mind how good Ran And The Gray World is. Every character is entertaining, every aspect of it is mysterious and magical, and it looks good too. I just got to the part where Jin went into heat and started kissing every girl in school because of course he would, being a wolfman and it was hilarious to see the normally cool and collected Jin act like a weirdo.

Dunno how I feel about Ran's transformation gimmick yet though. It has led to amusing adventures so far, at least

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy loving poo poo chapter 35

gently caress

gently caress

This series got super real super fast, I think I liked it when it was lighthearted shenanigans more :smith:

Edit: I wound up just binging the whole thing. Wonderful, simply wonderful. What a beautiful story. I laughed, I cried, I wished there was more.

I highly, highly recommend it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 1, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, it's great. I need to finish it, I got to when Ran wakes up after her big magic and decided to let translations finish, but have yet to get around to those last 10 or so chapters.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Watched Binbougami Ga! and would like something else similar. Basically loud, funny and lots of gags.

edit: Also Ran and the Gray world is awesome and everyone should read it, shame the thread for it died during birth.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 2, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Detroit Metal City has a handful of central jokes, and it takes them and slams them into the ground and takes it as far as it can.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Watched Binbougami Ga! and would like something else similar. Basically loud, funny and lots of gags.

Read the manga.

Gintama's the closest thing to it I can think of, though, as far as anime goes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Terper posted:

Gintama's the closest thing to it I can think of, though, as far as anime goes.

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys!

Incidentally all 3 of those shows share a lot of staff, so the humor is similar in style.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Phobophilia posted:

Detroit Metal City has a handful of central jokes, and it takes them and slams them into the ground and takes it as far as it can.

Let the record show that this is a good thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Leper Residue posted:

The first two seasons of Hayate no Gotoku.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I started reading Ran and the Gray World back when it was first getting translated and decided I'd rather read the whole thing in one swoop, so I held off.

Time to get back to it I guess.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
:siren: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-higurashi-anime/.89987

I credit all those years of being in the thread title.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I promise l'll watched LoGH if it's dubbed.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't put much faith in sentai investing the money it would take to get good VAs/voice direction for 110 episodes of anything.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a1sY-l68Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLHNkX_Z2Q

Pray LoGH doesn't face a similar fate. Or pray it does, whichever you like better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Normie Slayer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a1sY-l68Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLHNkX_Z2Q

Pray LoGH doesn't face a similar fate. Or pray it does, whichever you like better.

Holy crap those are bad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In the first one Hajime would totally say "ain't nobody got time for that!" but, they still managed to make it suck.

The Kids on the Slope one is making me very sad.
very very sad

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love Hajime's line but hate everything else about that clip.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am looking for some really dark/violent/horror SciFi anime. Think genocyber,battle angel alita,akira,betterman, and the like. Espers, evolution, 80s Japan's love of fascism are all welcome.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for some really dark/violent/horror SciFi anime. Think genocyber,battle angel alita,akira,betterman, and the like. Espers, evolution, 80s Japan's love of fascism are all welcome.
Cyber City Oedo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Make sure it is this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBXPsetOHM

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Angel Cop?

I haven't seen it yet so apologies if it's bad, but seems to fit your request.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That Works posted:

Angel Cop?

I haven't seen it yet so apologies if it's bad, but seems to fit your request.

Angel Cop is the anime where it turns out that the Jews were behind everything all along.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Angel Cop is the anime where it turns out that the Jews were behind everything all along.

:chloe:

Nevermind then

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stravinsky posted:

Watch/read Gantz. If you watch the anime, stop at the end of the Temple Game and then switch to the manga, because it goes really really stupid afterwards for its final stretch (it'd caught up to the manga at that point and mumbled its way to a finale).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really like blassreiter which is also directed by itano (angel cop director, but also the guy famous for animating dancing swarms of missiles) but it has flaws and the last fifth or so of the show was a let down. if you like monsters and/or kamen rider it's cool. there is also a moe motorcycle AI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stravinsky posted:

:hf:

I can say with certainty that Angel Cop, MD Geist (and its sequel), and Baoh the Visitor are all really entertaining. They're not particularly good but they are fun as hell with a couple beers.

Blue Gender is okay- it's basically an anime of Verheoven's Starship Troopers, but with the satire replaced with bitter, bitter cynicism. I kinda liked the ending, but a lot of people think it's horseshit, so be forewarned.

Pretty much anything by Yoshiaki Kawajiri is loving awesome. Just look up his filmography and go hog wild, watch the first thing you recognize that you haven't already seen.

Black Lion is insane. I really can't do it justice with words.

Megazone 23 is pretty entertaining, though I can't speak for part 3.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd recommend the Baoh manga over the OVA, if you're not opposed to some light reading. The anime will definitely scratch that beer and pretzels sci-fi horror itch, but it cuts out some of the fights that really elevate Boah to a higher rung of memorable mediocrity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

That Works posted:

Shin Angyo Onshi

This was good, thank you. I enjoyed that a bunch.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd recommend the Baoh manga over the OVA, if you're not opposed to some light reading. The anime will definitely scratch that beer and pretzels sci-fi horror itch, but it cuts out some of the fights that really elevate Boah to a higher rung of memorable mediocrity.

I loved Baoh for being a special kind of crazy and the OVA cut out some of the weirdest stuff.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch/read Gantz. If you watch the anime, stop at the end of the Temple Game and then switch to the manga, because it goes really really stupid afterwards for its final stretch (it'd caught up to the manga at that point and mumbled its way to a finale).

the only thing i liked about the gantz anime was the out of place jungle op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlScKUp_1ag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stravinsky posted:

Apocolypse Zero! It's a dark post apocolyptic setting(the hero's armor was invented by Unit 731 and is powered by the souls of their victims)and hyperviolent to the extreme. The only problem is that the OVA ends after like, second boss fight, so I'm really reccomending the manga.

• Locked thread