Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does this have to do with anything

I apologize. I thought that's what some were implying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've seen multiple people in this thread defending Anita, but saying that her criticisms weren't exactly academic. I think you're the only one I've seen saying that they're on par with people who DO contribute to academic publications.

It's like those books that Fox News personalities write about historical figures. Sure, they seem to be passionate about the subject and know a fair amount about it, but the research standards, citations, and general quality of writing aren't in the same league as the countless academics who have written about the same subjects. Maybe she's trying to make the topic more accessible to the general public or something.

Mother fucker don't hide behind this "other people" poo poo. You made a claim. Prove it or back the gently caress down.

Compare Anita to literally any academic feminist or admit you are just parroting whatever poo poo you have heard that makes your opinions more palatable without investing even the mildest critical thought into verifying them.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've seen multiple people in this thread defending Anita, but saying that her criticisms weren't exactly academic. I think you're the only one I've seen saying that they're on par with people who DO contribute to academic publications.

They're on par.

quote:

It's like those books that Fox News personalities write about historical figures. Sure, they seem to be passionate about the subject and know a fair amount about it, but the research standards, citations, and general quality of writing aren't in the same league as the countless academics who have written about the same subjects. Maybe she's trying to make the topic more accessible to the general public or something.

There are actually academics who write accessibly too. she's like one of them. By the way, as a video producer, what do you know about standards of sociological writing? is this another string to your bow? In case you just do this in your spare time or something, may I assure you that there's actually quite a wide variety in academic writng? she reminds me most of this guy, who is actually one of my favorite writers:

http://www.amazon.com/Dude-Youre-Fag-Masculinity-Sexuality/dp/0520271483

Warning: I have no idea how many books this guy has published so he probably falls far below your criteria for being on your side in your fight for social justice and deserves your scorn and perhaps to engage in a debate moderated by John Stossel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So can you show us some of this impressive scholarship, and also demonstrate that Anita Sarkeesian is attempting professional scholarship and failing?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If there is one thing I have learned from this thread its that mother fuckers rolling in and fronting like they know a goddamn thing about critical theory drives me insane

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
faaaarrt

Haha this is a thread in debate and discussion lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If there is one thing I have learned from this thread its that mother fuckers rolling in and fronting like they know a goddamn thing about critical theory drives me insane

OMG JC a Bomb! has set the bar pretty high for loving up rapidly and repeatedly, but I totes want to hear his take on academic writing, it should be a hoot.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

roymorrison posted:

faaaarrt

Haha this is a thread in debate and discussion lmao

I remember reading the original thread a few times and wondering how well their isolated circle of constant reinforcement would hold up against any kind of sustained critical response and I am glad to see the answer is "not very well at all really"

Jack Gladney posted:

Today's resentful nerds are tomorrow's reactionary culture warriors. Anita Sarkeesian will be this generation's eternal lady bugbear. A Gloria Steinem for the 2050s.

I've often looked at GG and said "these are the people who will listen to Fox News in twenty years"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Today's resentful nerds are tomorrow's reactionary culture warriors. Anita Sarkeesian will be this generation's eternal lady bugbear. A Gloria Steinem for the 2050s.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember reading the original thread a few times and wondering how well their isolated circle of constant reinforcement would hold up against any kind of sustained critical response and I am glad to see the answer is "not very well at all really"

I've often looked at GG and said "these are the people who will listen to Fox News in twenty years"

I miss the twitter posts

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to prevent them from being future fox viewers

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 3, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jack Gladney posted:

Germaine Greer turns up on British Panel shows a lot, which always startles me, since I think of her as belonging to a bygone age.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I seriously wonder how much input McIntosh has on the videos and tweets. My main problem is that I attribute the ridiculous tweets to him since he's way more vocal about his absurd views than her. If she fired him, which probably will never happen, what would change?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mother fucker don't hide behind this "other people" poo poo. You made a claim. Prove it or back the gently caress down.

Compare Anita to literally any academic feminist or admit you are just parroting whatever poo poo you have heard that makes your opinions more palatable without investing even the mildest critical thought into verifying them.

Haha, geez. I guess I would expect an academic analysis to come from someone with relevant credentials, like a degree in feminist literature or sociology. If our standards of what makes something "academic" is loose enough to include anyone with a camera and charisma, what does it even mean anymore?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Haha, geez. I guess I would expect an academic analysis to come from someone with relevant credentials, like a degree in feminist literature or sociology. If our standards of what makes something "academic" is loose enough to include anyone with a camera and charisma, what does it even mean anymore?

Academic argumentation is a process not a diploma. The person's degree is irrelevant if the argument presented holds up to academic scrutiny.

People tried to discard Derrida for only having an MA in Philosophy when he revolutionized critical theory. Which you would know if you had even a freshman's understanding of critical theory.

EDIT: Which ignores the original point of why can't you compare her arguments to an academic feminist you claim she pales in comparison of

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 3, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Please help me to understand what is that standard. How can we tell whether an argument is weak or strong? Do you suggest that the credentials of the author determine the strength of an argument?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hhaha how can someone like Anita Sarkeesian contribute meaningfully to her field with only a Master's?

*has literally never heard of Jacques "the single most important figure in contemporary critical theory father of deconstruction" Derrida*

EDIT: I am not letting this go

JACQUES DERRIDA YOU IMPOSSIBLY STUPID CHILD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jack Gladney posted:

Please help me to understand what is that standard. How can we tell whether an argument is weak or strong? Do you suggest that the credentials of the author determine the strength of an argument?

I would say that an argument needs to hold up on its own and valid examples have to be given. Anita does 1/2 of that pretty well.

Edit: So yes, the credentials of the author don't matter. You could argue that they might make affect some of their examples

Exmond fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Exmond posted:

I would say that an argument needs to hold up on its own and valid examples have to be given. Anita does 1/2 of that pretty well.

support this

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Mel Mudkiper is such a turd he makes me miss *Tezzor.*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Exmond posted:

which half :allears:

bloodysabbath posted:

Mel Mudkiper is such a turd he makes me miss *Tezzor.*

You are welcome to step up and give me a try

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Academic argumentation is a process not a diploma. The person's degree is irrelevant if the argument presented holds up to academic scrutiny.

People tried to discard Derrida for only having an MA in Philosophy when he revolutionized critical theory. Which you would know if you had even a freshman's understanding of critical theory.

EDIT: Which ignores the original point of why can't you compare her arguments to an academic feminist you claim she pales in comparison of

And who is worthy of providing that academic scrutiny? Doesn't it stand to reason that somewhere in this process a person with certain credentials must analyze the content and approve of it, like a board of editors on an academic journal might?

To reiterate, my argument has never been that feminist critique isn't worth hearing. It is, now as much as ever. But I feel that Anita has too much baggage to be a good ambassador for feminist/progressive causes. Her partnership with a shrill weirdo like Mcintosh doesn't help.

Edit: By the way, I don't see a Masters in Communication degree to be especially relevant. Kind of like how that Ben Carson guy has a doctorate and is a neurosurgeon, but he believes gays are caused by prison rape. His doctorate in neuroscience doesn't magically make all of his opinions true.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

And who is worthy of providing that academic scrutiny?

I'll give you a hint. It's clearly not you or anyone you pay attention to.

Quit avoiding the fact you were caught making a claim you are entirely unable to justify

quote:

To reiterate, my argument has never been that feminist critique isn't worth hearing. It is, now as much as ever. But I feel that Anita has too much baggage to be a good ambassador for feminist/progressive causes. Her partnership with a shrill weirdo like Mcintosh doesn't help.

The baggage of things which have been entirely discredited and a relationship with a boogieman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

And who is worthy of providing that academic scrutiny? Doesn't it stand to reason that somewhere in this process a person with certain credentials must analyze the content and approve of it, like a board of editors on an academic journal might?

What does baggage have to do with appropriate academic credentials? What kind of credentials are necessary to make an informed argument about culture and video games? Is a Ph.D. appropriate for discussion of how a video game presents women? What fields of study are qualified?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cowman posted:

I seriously wonder how much input McIntosh has on the videos and tweets. My main problem is that I attribute the ridiculous tweets to him since he's way more vocal about his absurd views than her. If she fired him, which probably will never happen, what would change?

Probaly a decent amount and never. apperently he is her bf or a very close friend since he has been their since she was writing theses. she would probaly be about the same, maybe a little better. she will never toss him because he writes and probably makes all her stuff. I believe that she honestly believes all the stuff she says(which is fine) but my guess is he writes and spins most of it. the fact that i have never seen him praise any video game outside the indi/puzzle games is interesting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she will never toss him because he writes and probably makes all her stuff.

the evidence of this being?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Edit: By the way, I don't see a Masters in Communication degree to be especially relevant. Kind of like how that Ben Carson guy has a doctorate and is a neurosurgeon, but he believes gays are caused by prison rape. His doctorate in neuroscience doesn't magically make all of his opinions true.

Her BA is in communication her MA is in social and political thought

Which is still entirely irrelevant to the legitimacy of her ideas

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'll give you a hint. It's clearly not you or anyone you pay attention to.

But I'm the one dodging questions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.scribd.com/doc/130661629/Masters-Thesis
he was there since the beginning. read the Acknowledgements

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

But I'm the one dodging questions.

Ok, let's return to Jacques Derrida.

His major writings were not universally academically reviewed before publication but post-publication were the object of both widespread support and considerable criticism. The idea that an idea is only academically valid before being pre-critiqued by some learned circle of elders is ridiculous. There is no single path to academic validity, but if you wanted to make a sincere effort to judge the academic validity of her arguments, you would need to ask the following questions. A. is the argument consistent with the current research and theory (hint: the answer is yes) B. Is the argument rigorously researched? (B: still yes)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/130661629/Masters-Thesis
he was there since the beginning. read the Acknowledgements

I am not sure why having a friend and colleague to bounce ideas off of is such a smoking gun of whatever it is people are trying to prove about McIntosh

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

What does baggage have to do with appropriate academic credentials? What kind of credentials are necessary to make an informed argument about culture and video games? Is a Ph.D. appropriate for discussion of how a video game presents women? What fields of study are qualified?

Frankly, a person who goes around saying ridiculous things like "America bombed Japan back to traditional values" can be trusted as an advocate on behalf of anyone. Experience and charisma are useful, but you can't be that reckless with a social media account and be a good delegate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Frankly, a person who goes around saying ridiculous things like "America bombed Japan back to traditional values" can be trusted as an advocate on behalf of anyone. Experience and charisma are useful, but you can't be that reckless with a social media account and be a good delegate.

Which Feminist Frequency video features that quote, and in what context? It doesn't sound like it has much to do with video games.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

And now we have reduced ourselves to unverified quotes coming from a single source that cannot concretely prove it

Jack Gladney posted:

Which Feminist Frequency video features that quote, and in what context? It doesn't sound like it has much to do with video games.

http://notplayed.com/2013/08/27/gamecraft-gender-equality-in-the-games-industry/

this is literally the sole source. Note the lack of evidence outside of "totally I swear it happened guys"

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Can we at least all recognize that Mcintosh is a legit Schizoid with a messiah complex.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

http://notplayed.com/2013/08/27/gamecraft-gender-equality-in-the-games-industry/

its from this. its from 2013. and its from a neutral source. a game dev.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

By what standard are her videos and Tweets "vigorously researched"? It seems as though she (or Jon) looks at pieces of media and offers their personal opinions on them.

Recently Anita complained about a Fallout game for IOS, and used a screenshot of a pregnant woman in flames running around with her hands in the air to suggest that the woman was being portrayed as hysterical, in the sexist sense. A few minutes of research might have revealed that the game's characters always react by running around and screaming when they're, you know, ON FIRE.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its from this. its from 2013. and its from a neutral source. a game dev.

a neutral source that is the only one making the claim and who has no evidence

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a neutral source that is the only one making the claim and who has no evidence

He was at the conference. did you even read it? he has no reason to lie and if he didnt like her, it would have shown

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2015

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

By what standard are her videos and Tweets "vigorously researched"? It seems as though she (or Jon) looks at pieces of media and offers their personal opinions on them.

Recently Anita complained about a Fallout game for IOS, and used a screenshot of a pregnant woman in flames running around with her hands in the air to suggest that the woman was being portrayed as hysterical, in the sexist sense. A few minutes of research might have revealed that the game's characters always react by running around and screaming when they're, you know, ON FIRE.

That was Josh "I'm utterly insane" McIntosh

Seriously it's creepy that a dude is that involved in feminism, I mean it's cool to be an ally but this guy resembles those white guys who support minority rights and think they know better than most of said minorities.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He was at the conference. did you even read it?

Maybe your source would be accepted as valid if it were being read into a camera by some lady with a Masters in Political Science.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It seems as though she (or Jon) looks at pieces of media and offers their personal opinions on them.

It seems as if they are offering personal opinions because you have already demonstrated you literally know nothing of critical theory in any form

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This is not accurate. She is complaining that pregnancy causes them to be unable to do anything proactive but respond to crises and the picture is a demonstration of how the male characters are still able to respond actively to the fire while pregnant women can only respond in the panicked state

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He was at the conference. did you even read it? he has no reason to lie and if he didnt like her, it would have shown

There is a reason single hearsay sources are not usually held as very strong evidence. Have you considered he may not have heard her correctly? or remembered her comment incorrectly?

There is a reason corroborating evidence is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

That was Josh "I'm utterly insane" McIntosh

Seriously it's creepy that a dude is that involved in feminism, I mean it's cool to be an ally but this guy resembles those white guys who support minority rights and think they know better than most of said minorities.

because he is paternalistic pretentious clown.

• Locked thread