Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I am also in the camp of people who really enjoyed Cataclysm heroics but I 100% understand why most people didn't and fully support heroics not being that hard. Thankfully WoD now has Mythic dungeons which, IMO, are just the right difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RottenK posted:

i'm glad that Brad McQuaid's career crashed and burned

In all honesty I'm surprised Carbine didn't try to pick him up. What else would aide the ever wonderful Wildstar more than THE VISION?

I got the Humble Bundle with the Wildstar key and figured, since I last tried it a year ago, maybe give it a shot; I never bought the game so the key actually gave me 30 days.

They added a level 10 dungeon back in February called the Protogames Academy which is intended to teach you the basic mechanics of handling Wildstar dungeons and all that other poo poo, and holy gently caress I thought getting LFR people in WoW to pay attention to mechanics was like herding cats, but this is somehow WORSE.

The second boss of the dungeon introduces the concept of 'gently caress you' telegraphs, in that there are pillars that spin slowly while shooting fire; the fire deals a crapton of damage to your piddly rear end, and deals it per second. Getting grazed by one can almost half your health. At the same time, the boss is channeling a 20-30 second spell that will instantly kill everyone if it goes off, and has 3 Interrupt Armor, requiring that you hit it with 4 interrupts. Meaning if two people die, you basically have to wipe and start over; there's no in combat rez at that level, as far as I know.

But once you interrupt her the first time, she teleports across the field, and a new set of telegraphs come up that scroll across the ground like this:
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-

The telegraphs are big enough and fast enough that you can't really dodge roll past them, you have to play Frogger with them, with no safe zones. Jumping over them hurts, and they deal more damage than the first set of telegraphs. Interrupt again, teleport again, now you have to deal with BOTH sets of telegraphs. So you have to hope at least four people survive all three phases or else you're starting over from scratch. So if someone is lagging, you're pretty well hosed, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of latency forgiveness.

The one time I did the dungeon I think the group wiped 6 times, we lost someone, and sat in queue for 15 minutes to get someone else. The bosses afterwards weren't as 'gently caress you' hard as that one, but they were tougher than anything I've done in WoW yet. And this was in the loving newbie tutorial dungeon. They don't even spell out 'interrupt her or you all die,' they just say something like 'you have to remove their interrupt armor to stop a spell cast!' The game also taunts you when you die. Like, 'You did a great job dying, cupcake! Now why not make it permanent next time?'

Healing is also a bit of a pain, at least as a spellslinger, since there's no target heals like in WoW or any other MMO ever. Your heals are a frontal cone or AoE and you have to line up your allies to heal them or shield them. Which means if you decide to hit a big CD heal just as your tank dodge rolls out of a telegraph, you wasted it. Or if the DPS is running and jumping around like crazed monkeys (but not actually to avoid telegraphs,) you might not be able to actually heal them through damage.

I also sat in queue at primetime one night as a healer for a dungeon/adventure/shiphand, and ended up watching the entirety of Blues Brothers while waiting for it to pop. At least I got to level my architect poo poo. :v: I even made buddies with a tank, queued with him, and we were in line forever just to find DPS.

The game itself doesn't seem THAT bad right now, but I don't see it doing too hot later on if they've got two megaservers and the PvE one is pretty much dead right now. The game still gets crippling lag spikes, has some bugs I remember from beta (like these robots you have to activate in a lake in the Exile zone, where they spawn floating and can't be interacted with because I guess the trigger involves them being near ground,) and I sure as gently caress wouldn't have wanted to spend money on it this past year.

It feels like it has potential to be a halfway decent timewaster if it can just run off its idiotic community and fix its mindset, but since I saw people in zone chat bitching about people playing on the Humble Bundle free key who were 'taking advantage of Carbine's generosity' and getting riled up to MOBA levels of yelling and arguing, I don't see that happening.

e:
Look at how exciting this poo poo is, son. A max level player has to wait on cooldowns to do the loving newbie tutorial dungeon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plrOpjZhEw

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 2, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

John Dyne posted:

e:
Look at how exciting this poo poo is, son. A max level player has to wait on cooldowns to do the loving newbie tutorial dungeon.

That poo poo is ridiculous for the first dungeon in the game.

Why the gently caress are they so married to the multiple 'interrupt armor' bullshit?!?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

What's the matter Cupcake, can't take the heat?? :mmmsmug:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

WarLocke posted:

That poo poo is ridiculous for the first dungeon in the game.

Why the gently caress are they so married to the multiple 'interrupt armor' bullshit?!?

What gets me is that player is max level and in what I assume is pretty good gear, and it takes them over a minute to beat the first boss of the newbie tutorial dungeon. And that was mostly because she had all the interrupt armor removal she needed and was doing huge chunks of its health per swing; she didn't have to coordinate with four other idiots to interrupt so his spell didn't instantly kill her, and I DO think it's just set to do your health as damage, since each time it would do exactly as much damage as I had health, even with food buffs; so it's likely that fucker was tuned to where it could kill the level 50.

It took MUCH longer for a group of the intended level and gear to do that. The guy shielded up three times for us, and each time it taught a new 'gently caress you' mechanic the game has. It showed you the tether one, where you'll get snared, but there's also one where you get knocked down and have to dodge roll to get up in time to avoid a telegraph centered on you, and one where your weapon is knocked away and you have to run and pick it up.

The entire video is 15 minutes and that's basically nothing but bosses. About, what, 3 minutes per boss, roughly? With a level 12 group, I think my run was an hour and a half.

I've not done many of the dungeons or adventures, thanks to the lack of a population and horrendous queue times, but the shiphands have been pretty simple and pretty fun; the first one was mentioned earlier in the thread and was the only reason I even decided to try the game, cause the 50's sci-fi theme sounded amusing. And yeah, it's a bunch of mutated goblins rampaging on an asteroid that are going to be sent to invade the planet, and you get to hop 50 feet in the air and shoot 20 of them at a time.

The second one was pretty much the plot to Alien, but cupcaked up. One of the audio logs you pick up has an NPC saying he's so happy he's only two days from retirement and can go back to his pregnant wife, two kids, and his loving golden retriever, and the only thing he has to do now is go pick up some eggs for study from a cave. There was also some guy wondering why the gently caress they kept getting sent to check in on missing people when every time someone reports in and the call ends with them screaming. They're trying so hard to be funny and make fun of sci fi stuff, but it tries too hard.

It also has a big problem where you'll go into an area for one quest, do the side poo poo there, and then go turn it in and find out, oops, you were supposed to pick up THESE quests, too. The questing hubs aren't near as streamlined as in other MMOs, and once you get to the capital city, there's no strong sense of what the gently caress you're supposed to do next. There's also nodes that claim to require the Farmer tradeskill, but it was either never implemented or removed, and it is never spelled out to you that you just have to attack the plant/fruit to harvest it, since every other loving node requires you to interact with it via some tool that requires a tradeskill of some sort.

e: This was a recommended video after the Protostar Academy preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284gxrE8fo

"NUMBER TEN: SUBSCRIPTION SYSTEM" and the guy bitches about free to play, lol

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 2, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

What's the matter Cupcake, can't take the heat?? :mmmsmug:

Source your quotes please.

I gave up on WildStar after the box month because I play games for fun, and tedious isn't fun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This game is amazing. At least the tutorial dungeon lets you know what you are in for if you decide to keep playing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think the funniest thing is they keep referencing vanilla WoW as their goal, which shows they completely lack any sort of understanding of how vanilla WoW worked.

The difficulty of the original vanilla dungeons and raids was never due to the actual content in the raids. Few bosses had more then 1-2 abilities to learn, and almost all of them were entirely focused on the tanks. Initially, without any sort of DPS meters, threat meters, or even HP sources, you were forced to kind of guess how you were doing based on your performance in the raid/first hand experience, which led to some really lovely specs being considered "best" in class, which ironically helped in the early Ony/MC raids, since few DPS would ever pass the threat/aggro barriers.

While the attunement dungeons were difficult, that difficulty was more on the players. Few people did dungeons while leveling, and fewer still understood the trinity and how it worked, which was where most of the issues came from. Many people didn't know how to mez, or how to not break mez. Hunters would join BRD groups and have growl still on, then do piddly damage because they never had anything to compare themselves to, so they didn't realize how bad they were actually playing. Warriors wouldn't understand how to hold/keep aggro, or would, but wouldn't have the gear/understanding of stats to survive it. Priests would bubble themselves then go OOM because they were busy healing the dumbass loving DPS that pulled aggro rather then the tank.

And the idea of raids in vanilla being hardcore only is laughable. They needed 40 people, so in most cases, it was one guild deciding to do a raid, asking some friends if anyone from their guild wanted in, and then just cobbling together 2-3 guilds worth of people to take on Ony or Rags. Finding 40 60's was tough, so as long as you were attuned you could join in. DKP was less an elitist tool, and more just a guarantee that everyone who participated got something at least, especially since for most people, you'd only really be raiding once or twice a month. And why not? The content wasn't super tough, as long as you weren't wiping the raid by breaking mezzes/listening in on vent, your damage didn't mean very much, because THERE WAS 40 PEOPLE.

It wasn't until AQ20 did the idea of elitist guilds really start to form. The AQ opening event pitted guilds against each other, and led to better guilds winning on most server. This also led to them doing better in AQ20, a raid where you could only take 20 people, that was as challenging as any 40 man raid. Around the same time DPS/Aggro meters started to become popular, so suddenly you needed to be best in class to get invited to AQ20/40, because the content got harder around the same time tools came out to judge player quality. This elitism then followed on to Naxx, which was the hardest content at the time. But I'd argue this was the worst thing for most servers/WoW in general, because to make a 40 man guild capable of taking out AQ40/Naxx, it usually meant a creation of a new guild from all those smaller friendly guilds. Where all the actual good raiders would leave their friends behind to join <Murderwreckers> just so they could take on Naxx once a week.

If their inspiration for raiding was vanilla WoW, they hosed up badly. Anybody could raid in vanilla, and do so once or twice a year and still get stuff. It wasn't until TBC that you were forced to either be a raider, or just a normal person. And later on apparently they jumped into "make impossible dungeon just for raiders to crow about, nerf it to normal player levels once it got beaten.", which is an insane design choice.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rookersh posted:

I think the funniest thing is they keep referencing vanilla WoW as their goal, which shows they completely lack any sort of understanding of how vanilla WoW worked.

I've been tooling around on a vanilla wow server, and the thing they really forgot was that vanilla wow was, first and foremost, blizzard's attempt at crafting an online multiplayer experience. Raids don't exist outside of some bubble, every aspect of the game is at a much slower pace and designed much more around the social difficulty curve rather than the game difficulty curve. Doing all of these low level quests is painful as poo poo until you get even just one more person and you go beat up the world, so really early on the idea is enforced that you shouldn't do things on your own, and you should be making friends with people and being social and making groups and eventually joining a guild and moving up the social chain.

Wildstar's experience is that you don't want other people around you ever because you can do it all yourself and other players are just competition, overly obtuse and complex mechanics that you have to understand to succeed, rather than vanilla wow's "throw more bodies at it" approach to player problem solving, and then derision for the players at pretty much every turn. The experience they crafted was just one where you abuse the player until they get better and then getting surprised when they just left to go do something else.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

I can't believe the flame obstacles + time limit before boss needs to be interrupted that John Dyne described starting at 3:33. You do not make new players do something that complex and unforgiving!

Keep in mind this isn't release content. This was patched in months later after it was abundantly clear that the HARDCORE! model failed and the game was flailing. It's like they want to fail.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The experience they crafted was just one where you abuse the player until they get better and then getting surprised when they just left to go do something else.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

While the attunement dungeons were difficult, that difficulty was more on the players. Few people did dungeons while leveling, and fewer still understood the trinity and how it worked, which was where most of the issues came from. Many people didn't know how to mez, or how to not break mez.

While I don't disagree with this, I will say that CC and the holy trinity was already well established by WoW. I assume it was due to the massive influx of new players to the genre, but there were already plenty of horrible nerds who spent years raiding and min/maxing by then.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

I can't believe the flame obstacles + time limit before boss needs to be interrupted that John Dyne described starting at 3:33. You do not make new players do something that complex and unforgiving!

Keep in mind this isn't release content. This was patched in months later after it was abundantly clear that the HARDCORE! model failed and the game was flailing. It's like they want to fail.

Sadly, since she's level 50, you don't get to experience the sheer joy of the game's announcer taunting you for dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk

But yes. This content dropped maybe 3 or 4 months ago, I think late February, before the quarterly report was even released, though Google says it was teased back in October. :v:

And honestly, WildStar's approach makes me think more of the reaction to EverQuest during Gates of Discord. See, before one of the expansions, Planes of Power, there wasn't really any quick way around the massive world the developers had built. Druids and wizards could teleport people to different centralized locations, but these tended to be sort of a ballpark landing and still required you to run across zones and past aggressive monsters to get to cities. With PoP, different stones were added in areas very close to the main cities that let you could click on to be teleported to a central hub, which let you travel between cities safely and quickly. Obviously, this was Very Bad and people threw shitfits about things being easier.

After this came the Lost Dungeons of Norrath, which was another sticking point for the grognards who were furious about the changing of THE VISION, because it introduced personal, most of the time randomized instances for groups to quest through, versus the old school method of calling camps and dealing with trains of NPCs and other nonsense. Then Gates of Discord dropped, and the playerbase reacted badly to it. This was when Furor left EQ, and moved to help test (and later develop raids for) WoW.

Gates of Discord brought in the same poo poo that WildStar did. It had impossible, overtuned content and tried to be a little more like EQ originally was, because that's what the vocal players had wanted, but in execution, no one liked it. And people who had been asking for it turned their noses at it and went elsewhere, to try to recreate the turd they didn't realize stank so much.

I might be misremembering some of this but EQ around this point was a loving mess. Which hey fits WildStar to a T.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I thought those remarks about the game insulting you for dying were an exaggeration. This is what happens every time you die in the game? A voice taunts you to stay dead with "witty" lines? :psyduck:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

I thought those remarks about the game insulting you for dying were an exaggeration. This is what happens every time you die in the game? A voice taunts you to stay dead with "witty" lines? :psyduck:

Yep. Same announcer for when you level, too, just in case you weren't already sick of his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6j04OGUpRI

The game misunderstands 'quirky' and just pours it on thick.

Unrelated, I'm not sure whether I like or dislike that they have the auction house split up. One NPC lets you access weapons, armor, and other equipment, and the other lets you access trade goods; it's done as buy and sell orders for trade resources, sort of like how the Steam market works. So you can put up a buy order for 20 iron chunks for less than they're going and might actually get some over time to save money.

Confused the gently caress out of me the first time I went up to the massive crowd of idiots sitting around the AH and I couldn't find any iron with the NPC I used.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 2, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Yep. Same announcer for when you level, too, just in case you weren't already sick of his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6j04OGUpRI

The game misunderstands 'quirky' and just pours it on thick.

The announcer made me immediately come to the conclusion that only people with actual mind sickness could think Wildstar is a cool or funny game

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Unguided posted:

It might be fun to goonrush the game and annoy everyone in the main town until we get banned.

That actually doesn't sound fun at all.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm convinced that the developers heard the infamously condescending sweetroll line in Skyrim and decided "yes, we want a game revolving around this".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Everquest was a phenomenally lovely game. Even one of the relatively pleasant classes like Druid was appallingly terrible and playing a Warrior (which I did) was so hatefully lovely I just, I can't even, I

gently caress

Doing all of these low level quests is painful as poo poo until you get even just one more person and you go beat up the world, so really early on the idea is enforced that you shouldn't do things on your own, and you should be making friends with people and being social and making groups and eventually joining a guild and moving up the social chain.

Yeah but see, this approach to game design is really terrible (even for an online game). Thank god it's largely a relic of the distant past now.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 2, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Flesh Forge posted:

Everquest was a phenomenally lovely game. Even one of the relatively pleasant classes like Druid was appallingly terrible and playing a Warrior (which I did) was so hatefully lovely I just, I can't even, I

gently caress

There there. You're safe now. You won't ever have to figure out stupid [quest prompts] ever again.

I played a cleric and I spent an asston of plat buying that loving fishbone earring so I could sit at the bottom of a stupid lake and wait for an idiot goblin to spawn. WildStar could only dream of being as bad as EverQuest.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

John Dyne posted:

What gets me is that player is max level and in what I assume is pretty good gear, and it takes them over a minute to beat the first boss of the newbie tutorial dungeon. And that was mostly because she had all the interrupt armor removal she needed and was doing huge chunks of its health per swing; she didn't have to coordinate with four other idiots to interrupt so his spell didn't instantly kill her, and I DO think it's just set to do your health as damage, since each time it would do exactly as much damage as I had health, even with food buffs; so it's likely that fucker was tuned to where it could kill the level 50.

It took MUCH longer for a group of the intended level and gear to do that. The guy shielded up three times for us, and each time it taught a new 'gently caress you' mechanic the game has. It showed you the tether one, where you'll get snared, but there's also one where you get knocked down and have to dodge roll to get up in time to avoid a telegraph centered on you, and one where your weapon is knocked away and you have to run and pick it up.

The entire video is 15 minutes and that's basically nothing but bosses. About, what, 3 minutes per boss, roughly? With a level 12 group, I think my run was an hour and a half.

I've not done many of the dungeons or adventures, thanks to the lack of a population and horrendous queue times, but the shiphands have been pretty simple and pretty fun; the first one was mentioned earlier in the thread and was the only reason I even decided to try the game, cause the 50's sci-fi theme sounded amusing. And yeah, it's a bunch of mutated goblins rampaging on an asteroid that are going to be sent to invade the planet, and you get to hop 50 feet in the air and shoot 20 of them at a time.

The second one was pretty much the plot to Alien, but cupcaked up. One of the audio logs you pick up has an NPC saying he's so happy he's only two days from retirement and can go back to his pregnant wife, two kids, and his loving golden retriever, and the only thing he has to do now is go pick up some eggs for study from a cave. There was also some guy wondering why the gently caress they kept getting sent to check in on missing people when every time someone reports in and the call ends with them screaming. They're trying so hard to be funny and make fun of sci fi stuff, but it tries too hard.

It also has a big problem where you'll go into an area for one quest, do the side poo poo there, and then go turn it in and find out, oops, you were supposed to pick up THESE quests, too. The questing hubs aren't near as streamlined as in other MMOs, and once you get to the capital city, there's no strong sense of what the gently caress you're supposed to do next. There's also nodes that claim to require the Farmer tradeskill, but it was either never implemented or removed, and it is never spelled out to you that you just have to attack the plant/fruit to harvest it, since every other loving node requires you to interact with it via some tool that requires a tradeskill of some sort.

e: This was a recommended video after the Protostar Academy preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284gxrE8fo

"NUMBER TEN: SUBSCRIPTION SYSTEM" and the guy bitches about free to play, lol

John Dyne posted:

In all honesty I'm surprised Carbine didn't try to pick him up. What else would aide the ever wonderful Wildstar more than THE VISION?

I got the Humble Bundle with the Wildstar key and figured, since I last tried it a year ago, maybe give it a shot; I never bought the game so the key actually gave me 30 days.

They added a level 10 dungeon back in February called the Protogames Academy which is intended to teach you the basic mechanics of handling Wildstar dungeons and all that other poo poo, and holy gently caress I thought getting LFR people in WoW to pay attention to mechanics was like herding cats, but this is somehow WORSE.

The second boss of the dungeon introduces the concept of 'gently caress you' telegraphs, in that there are pillars that spin slowly while shooting fire; the fire deals a crapton of damage to your piddly rear end, and deals it per second. Getting grazed by one can almost half your health. At the same time, the boss is channeling a 20-30 second spell that will instantly kill everyone if it goes off, and has 3 Interrupt Armor, requiring that you hit it with 4 interrupts. Meaning if two people die, you basically have to wipe and start over; there's no in combat rez at that level, as far as I know.

But once you interrupt her the first time, she teleports across the field, and a new set of telegraphs come up that scroll across the ground like this:
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-

The telegraphs are big enough and fast enough that you can't really dodge roll past them, you have to play Frogger with them, with no safe zones. Jumping over them hurts, and they deal more damage than the first set of telegraphs. Interrupt again, teleport again, now you have to deal with BOTH sets of telegraphs. So you have to hope at least four people survive all three phases or else you're starting over from scratch. So if someone is lagging, you're pretty well hosed, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of latency forgiveness.

The one time I did the dungeon I think the group wiped 6 times, we lost someone, and sat in queue for 15 minutes to get someone else. The bosses afterwards weren't as 'gently caress you' hard as that one, but they were tougher than anything I've done in WoW yet. And this was in the loving newbie tutorial dungeon. They don't even spell out 'interrupt her or you all die,' they just say something like 'you have to remove their interrupt armor to stop a spell cast!' The game also taunts you when you die. Like, 'You did a great job dying, cupcake! Now why not make it permanent next time?'

Healing is also a bit of a pain, at least as a spellslinger, since there's no target heals like in WoW or any other MMO ever. Your heals are a frontal cone or AoE and you have to line up your allies to heal them or shield them. Which means if you decide to hit a big CD heal just as your tank dodge rolls out of a telegraph, you wasted it. Or if the DPS is running and jumping around like crazed monkeys (but not actually to avoid telegraphs,) you might not be able to actually heal them through damage.

I also sat in queue at primetime one night as a healer for a dungeon/adventure/shiphand, and ended up watching the entirety of Blues Brothers while waiting for it to pop. At least I got to level my architect poo poo. :v: I even made buddies with a tank, queued with him, and we were in line forever just to find DPS.

The game itself doesn't seem THAT bad right now, but I don't see it doing too hot later on if they've got two megaservers and the PvE one is pretty much dead right now. The game still gets crippling lag spikes, has some bugs I remember from beta (like these robots you have to activate in a lake in the Exile zone, where they spawn floating and can't be interacted with because I guess the trigger involves them being near ground,) and I sure as gently caress wouldn't have wanted to spend money on it this past year.

It feels like it has potential to be a halfway decent timewaster if it can just run off its idiotic community and fix its mindset, but since I saw people in zone chat bitching about people playing on the Humble Bundle free key who were 'taking advantage of Carbine's generosity' and getting riled up to MOBA levels of yelling and arguing, I don't see that happening.

e:

Rookersh posted:

The difficulty of the original vanilla dungeons and raids was never due to the actual content in the raids. Few bosses had more then 1-2 abilities to learn, and almost all of them were entirely focused on the tanks. Initially, without any sort of DPS meters, threat meters, or even HP sources, you were forced to kind of guess how you were doing based on your performance in the raid/first hand experience, which led to some really lovely specs being considered "best" in class, which ironically helped in the early Ony/MC raids, since few DPS would ever pass the threat/aggro barriers.

While the attunement dungeons were difficult, that difficulty was more on the players. Few people did dungeons while leveling, and fewer still understood the trinity and how it worked, which was where most of the issues came from. Many people didn't know how to mez, or how to not break mez. Hunters would join BRD groups and have growl still on, then do piddly damage because they never had anything to compare themselves to, so they didn't realize how bad they were actually playing. Warriors wouldn't understand how to hold/keep aggro, or would, but wouldn't have the gear/understanding of stats to survive it. Priests would bubble themselves then go OOM because they were busy healing the dumbass loving DPS that pulled aggro rather then the tank.

And the idea of raids in vanilla being hardcore only is laughable. They needed 40 people, so in most cases, it was one guild deciding to do a raid, asking some friends if anyone from their guild wanted in, and then just cobbling together 2-3 guilds worth of people to take on Ony or Rags. Finding 40 60's was tough, so as long as you were attuned you could join in. DKP was less an elitist tool, and more just a guarantee that everyone who participated got something at least, especially since for most people, you'd only really be raiding once or twice a month. And why not? The content wasn't super tough, as long as you weren't wiping the raid by breaking mezzes/listening in on vent, your damage didn't mean very much, because THERE WAS 40 PEOPLE.

It wasn't until AQ20 did the idea of elitist guilds really start to form. The AQ opening event pitted guilds against each other, and led to better guilds winning on most server. This also led to them doing better in AQ20, a raid where you could only take 20 people, that was as challenging as any 40 man raid. Around the same time DPS/Aggro meters started to become popular, so suddenly you needed to be best in class to get invited to AQ20/40, because the content got harder around the same time tools came out to judge player quality. This elitism then followed on to Naxx, which was the hardest content at the time. But I'd argue this was the worst thing for most servers/WoW in general, because to make a 40 man guild capable of taking out AQ40/Naxx, it usually meant a creation of a new guild from all those smaller friendly guilds. Where all the actual good raiders would leave their friends behind to join <Murderwreckers> just so they could take on Naxx once a week.

If their inspiration for raiding was vanilla WoW, they hosed up badly. Anybody could raid in vanilla, and do so once or twice a year and still get stuff. It wasn't until TBC that you were forced to either be a raider, or just a normal person. And later on apparently they jumped into "make impossible dungeon just for raiders to crow about, nerf it to normal player levels once it got beaten.", which is an insane design choice.

John Dyne posted:

Sadly, since she's level 50, you don't get to experience the sheer joy of the game's announcer taunting you for dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk

But yes. This content dropped maybe 3 or 4 months ago, I think late February, before the quarterly report was even released, though Google says it was teased back in October. :v:

And honestly, WildStar's approach makes me think more of the reaction to EverQuest during Gates of Discord. See, before one of the expansions, Planes of Power, there wasn't really any quick way around the massive world the developers had built. Druids and wizards could teleport people to different centralized locations, but these tended to be sort of a ballpark landing and still required you to run across zones and past aggressive monsters to get to cities. With PoP, different stones were added in areas very close to the main cities that let you could click on to be teleported to a central hub, which let you travel between cities safely and quickly. Obviously, this was Very Bad and people threw shitfits about things being easier.

After this came the Lost Dungeons of Norrath, which was another sticking point for the grognards who were furious about the changing of THE VISION, because it introduced personal, most of the time randomized instances for groups to quest through, versus the old school method of calling camps and dealing with trains of NPCs and other nonsense. Then Gates of Discord dropped, and the playerbase reacted badly to it. This was when Furor left EQ, and moved to help test (and later develop raids for) WoW.

Gates of Discord brought in the same poo poo that WildStar did. It had impossible, overtuned content and tried to be a little more like EQ originally was, because that's what the vocal players had wanted, but in execution, no one liked it. And people who had been asking for it turned their noses at it and went elsewhere, to try to recreate the turd they didn't realize stank so much.

I might be misremembering some of this but EQ around this point was a loving mess. Which hey fits WildStar to a T.

Lol

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I knew it was coming but I kept scrolling down to see what you would say anyways.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

quote:

Q: Will you keep the raids challenging as they are supposed to be, without implementing any easy-mode nonsense? Such things are better suited for world story, shiphands or adventures anyway.

quote:

Raids - They are not being tuned down, nor are we adding an 'entry-level' version of them. The casual raid content that's coming is completely separate from GA, DS, and ICY-83.

After John Dyne's posts illustrating their attempt at making a newbie tutorial dungeon, I can't wait to see what Wildstar "casual raid content" looks like. :v:

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

After John Dyne's posts illustrating their attempt at making a newbie tutorial dungeon, I can't wait to see what Wildstar "casual raid content" looks like. :v:

Every boss breaks all your gear every 30 seconds and you have to repair mid fight, with telegraphs going off everywhere. Also mass raid silences and aggro resets followed by aggro immunity. Also the Champions fight from WoW's TOC. All with an enrage timer so tight if anyone gets 2 global cooldowns hosed up or lags the whole raid wipes. Each fight is 15 minutes or longer with a huge gently caress you wipe potential mechanic at 20% and 10% introduced that doesn't allow you to burn the boss down quickly. The cherry on the shitcake is posting strats on any medium is bannable and everytime one is revealed the devs change the boss mechanic.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Fights where a single person's singular mistake erases a 20 man group's 10 minutes of progress is disgustingly unfun bullshit and will keep Wildstar in the shitter forever

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah but see, this approach to game design is really terrible (even for an online game). Thank god it's largely a relic of the distant past now.

Oh, I 100% agree. I was just getting at how vanilla wow wasn't designed specifically and solely to hate the player, and that there was another goal in mind. So, basically, wildstar is actually worse than a 10 year old game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

John Dyne posted:

There there. You're safe now. You won't ever have to figure out stupid [quest prompts] ever again.

I played a cleric and I spent an asston of plat buying that loving fishbone earring so I could sit at the bottom of a stupid lake and wait for an idiot goblin to spawn. WildStar could only dream of being as bad as EverQuest.

I think the only actual quest I ever did in EQ was turning in gnoll pelts in Qeynos.

Oh wait I did start the cleric class quest for butter armor, gently caress camping that one island in the middle of the ocean for a birdman spawn on a 24-hour timer with only a chance to drop whatever the gently caress I needed. :saddowns:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In EQ I played an ogre warrior and some highlights were:
- Not being able just to travel through any zone that was level appropriate (and even most gray trash would demolish me) without people to hold my hand
- being kill on sight to 2/3 of the population and having to farm literally thousands of gray gnolls for faction (with no area damage either!)
- Having to wear armor that looked like cow poo poo (not even kidding) until I was able to farm large bronze plate
- Large bronze plate was only found in a particular dungeon (Najena) filled with pit traps designed to leave you stuck deep inside the dungeon
- Dying while swimming somewhere or other and losing a full set of gear permanently (remember that stuff I had to farm?)
- Being totally at the mercy of every other person in the team to not be terrible, or I died
- Not being able to set my own bind point in case I did die, which I did, frequently; just about every other class except rogue and monk could and at least rogues could sneak/monks could feign death
- Not even being all that great a tank, compared to paladin or shadow knight

I'm pretty sure Wildstar is super lovely and all that but I really doubt it holds a candle to the astoundingly hateful experience Everquest gave anyone dumb enough to play Warrior and stick with it past the newbie area.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Flesh Forge posted:

In EQ I played an ogre warrior and some highlights were:
- Not being able just to travel through any zone that was level appropriate (and even most gray trash would demolish me) without people to hold my hand
- being kill on sight to 2/3 of the population and having to farm literally thousands of gray gnolls for faction (with no area damage either!)
- Having to wear armor that looked like cow poo poo (not even kidding) until I was able to farm large bronze plate
- Large bronze plate was only found in a particular dungeon (Najena) filled with pit traps designed to leave you stuck deep inside the dungeon
- Dying while swimming somewhere or other and losing a full set of gear permanently (remember that stuff I had to farm?)
- Being totally at the mercy of every other person in the team to not be terrible, or I died
- Not being able to set my own bind point in case I did die, which I did, frequently; just about every other class except rogue and monk could and at least rogues could sneak/monks could feign death
- Not even being all that great a tank, compared to paladin or shadow knight

I'm pretty sure Wildstar is super lovely and all that but I really doubt it holds a candle to the astoundingly hateful experience Everquest gave anyone dumb enough to play Warrior and stick with it past the newbie area.

To expand on this, EverQuest was one of those games that was such a product of its time. Having such a stark divide between good and evil and all that was neat and all, but it meant certain races were just plain hosed. With the XP penalty they got, and how far out of the loving way they were, trolls and ogres just had a poo poo time, and their cities sucked. This was the map of the main continent in EQ, Antonica:

Ogres started in Oggok, Trolls in Grobb. All of those zones between there and the other cities were typically the leveling grounds for people in their 30's and up, and none of the attached zones got you farther than 10 or 15. You also didn't have as many groups (and groups were ESSENTIAL for EQ) because people got the gently caress out ASAP, especially since Trolls and Ogres didn't really get any healing classes. There were also city guards that patrolled the roads, and if you were an evil race near a neutral or good guard, that high level rear end in a top hat was gonna charge you and gently caress you.

THIS was the armor he was stuck with:

You can see on the map where Najena is there, and it wasn't a very low level place, and EQ didn't warn you about traps; it was pretty well a giant Gary Gygax adventure in its old days, with illusionary floors that would drop you to your death. You had to read a guide or follow someone who knew their poo poo, or you'd get hosed. And before I think either Luclin or Planes of Power, you needed a caster to sit down, remove a spell to memorize Bind Soul, stand back up, and cast it on you so you would return to that spot when you died. SoL or PoP, I don't remember which, added NPCs called Soulbinders you could trundle up to and have them bind you.

EQ strongly suffered from old school caster supremacy. The warriors were sacks of HP and not much else, and you were spamming taunt to get threat since you had gently caress all else to use, whereas SKs and paladins could cast spells specifically to build threat. Later on, they got reworked to have other abilities and such to not be total sacks of poo poo, but SKs and paladins kept their spot as Kings of Tanks.

I was friends with one of the big guys in the EQ community back in the day, a comic artist named Woody Hearn, and he pulled some strings and got me a lifetime sub to EverQuest. I can still log in and get my loyalty rewards and poo poo but man who the gently caress even plays the game anymore.

But yeah, Wildstar learned to hate from EQ. EQ was the granddaddy of hating the player, because it pretty well copped directly from old school Dungeons and Dragons.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Dyne posted:

To expand on this, EverQuest was one of those games that was such a product of its time. Having such a stark divide between good and evil and all that was neat and all, but it meant certain races were just plain hosed. With the XP penalty they got, and how far out of the loving way they were, trolls and ogres just had a poo poo time, and their cities sucked.

Also your race determining if you could even see at night without a light source.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

But yeah, Wildstar learned to hate from EQ. EQ was the granddaddy of hating the player, because it pretty well copped directly from old school Dungeons and Dragons.

Yep. This right there was the cause of a lot of MMO woes, and some of it still plagues the genre today. Mechanics were pulled straight from pen and paper games without modifying them to be suitable for a multiplayer computer game. Stuff like day-long cooldowns for important abilities, outdoor raid bosses, and harsh death penalties didn't translate well to most entries in the genre.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thunderbro posted:

Fights where a single person's singular mistake erases a 20 man group's 10 minutes of progress is disgustingly unfun bullshit and will keep Wildstar in the shitter forever
Don't be absurd.

Wildstar launched with 40-man raids tuned the same way, remember? :shepface:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

John Dyne posted:

e:

My favorite part of this is the countdown timer going negative at the very beginning. What the hell is this, amateur hour?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

Yep. This right there was the cause of a lot of MMO woes, and some of it still plagues the genre today. Mechanics were pulled straight from pen and paper games without modifying them to be suitable for a multiplayer computer game. Stuff like day-long cooldowns for important abilities, outdoor raid bosses, and harsh death penalties didn't translate well to most entries in the genre.

It still cracks me up how even the best loving resurrection spell in EQ back in the day only restore like 85% of your XP, and how they added a corpse summoning spell for necromancers to keep people from being wholly hosed over, but cost about 50 platinum per reagent to cast, where each plat is 100 gold coins. I think you could get one platinum coin per kill in High Hold, but I don't strictly remember, but I DO remember that with the cheaper version of the spell, the reagent couldn't stack, but the one where the reagents were 65 plat each COULD stack. Reading up on it now, getting your corpse back gets you a 96% rez, which means you STILL lose some XP when you die.

Man, I'm already playing Wildstar, now I'm wondering how EQ is after being alive for almost two decades. I used to have a necromancer who did baking and brewing and I'd sit outside in the commonlands and sell my food and beers to people. I remember a guy getting creepy on me and wanting my 'dark elf cherry pie,' even though I was playing a loving dude. :gonk: There was also an ogre who kept crouch walking backwards at me and exclaiming about me fitting in his rear end. I don't think I sold much food there after awhile..

Good times.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Everquest makes me so loving happy that when everyone else was being angry at themselves for playing it, I was dicking around on L2 private servers and loving maplestory of all things because I was in middle/high school at the time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Everquest makes me so loving happy that when everyone else was being angry at themselves for playing it, I was dicking around on L2 private servers and loving maplestory of all things because I was in middle/high school at the time.

This is ironic since EQ was never as bad as either Maplestory or Lineage 2.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I find that really really difficult to wrap my head around. EQ was one of the worst games in history imo, for all that it was the first big one. There's a lot of games in my memory that were bland or disappointing or just kind of bad but EQ is one of the very very few that made me outright hate it, it was so goddamn bad.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Everquest was awesome.

My 56k modem once disconnected while I was zoning into the ocean zone on a boat. When I came back, the boat was gone and I was naked on my bind point. It took me a good five hours to swim to the bottom of the ocean to find my body, drag it to shore, and get a return boat out.

Sometimes you could log in, take 2 hours to find a group without knowing the pubbies you recruited are pants on head retarded. You spend an hour crawling through the dungeon to break into your camp. On your first pull, the puller grabs too many, someone goes linkdead. You all die, corpses now in the bottom of the zone. You lost 8 hours of XP grinding in a single pull, and now need to crawl back to your corpse naked or have someone assist with clearing for you and dragging back.

You've now played for 5 hours, and have lost experience. Your entire group rage quits except the worst people.

We kept a waiting list for camps on my server. This waiting list was passed from group leader to group leader. You had to get yourself on the list (for popular camps) days in advanced because, yes, people waited that long for a chance to spend 12+ hours in a single room killing the same rotating spawns in the same order.

If you joined a group in a high-level camp, you were expected to be around for AT LEAST four hours. Anything less and you would never get a group with those same people unless they were friends. Often times camps would set a minimum 8 hours commitment.

After 8+ hours of sitting in a single camp, you might have seen the named NPC spawn once. He probably drops his trash loot. When he finally spawns and drops the good item, someone ninja loots it and quits immediately.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 3, 2015

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

John Dyne posted:

It still cracks me up how even the best loving resurrection spell in EQ back in the day only restore like 85% of your XP, and how they added a corpse summoning spell for necromancers to keep people from being wholly hosed over, but cost about 50 platinum per reagent to cast, where each plat is 100 gold coins. I think you could get one platinum coin per kill in High Hold, but I don't strictly remember, but I DO remember that with the cheaper version of the spell, the reagent couldn't stack, but the one where the reagents were 65 plat each COULD stack. Reading up on it now, getting your corpse back gets you a 96% rez, which means you STILL lose some XP when you die.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but were one of those reagents a coffin and didn't it take up an entire bag slot?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

This is ironic since EQ was never as bad as either Maplestory or Lineage 2.

Base L2, possibly, but notice I said private servers. 64x exp and gold rates do wonders.

And the worst thing maplestory would ever do to you is when you die you lose 10% of your exp and go back to a spawn point. That's nowhere near the living hell that was dying in EQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Everquest was awesome.

My 56k modem once disconnected while I was zoning into the ocean zone on a boat. When I came back, the boat was gone and I was naked on my bind point. It took me a good five hours to swim to the bottom of the ocean to find my body, drag it to shore, and get a return boat out.

Sometimes you could log in, take 2 hours to find a group without knowing the pubbies you recruited are pants on head retarded. You spend an hour crawling through the dungeon to break into your camp. On your first pull, the puller grabs too many, someone goes linkdead. You all die, corpses now in the bottom of the zone. You lost 8 hours of XP grinding in a single pull, and now need to crawl back to your corpse naked or have someone assist with clearing for you and dragging back.

You've now played for 5 hours, and have lost experience. Your entire group rage quits except the worst people.

We kept a waiting list for camps on my server. This waiting list was passed from group leader to group leader. You had to get yourself on the list (for popular camps) days in advanced because, yes, people waited that long for a chance to spend 12+ hours in a single room killing the same rotating spawns in the same order.

If you joined a group in a high-level camp, you were expected to be around for AT LEAST four hours. Anything less and you would never get a group with those same people unless they were friends. Often times camps would set a minimum 8 hours commitment.

After 8+ hours of sitting in a single camp, you might have seen the named NPC spawn once. He probably drops his trash loot. When he finally spawns and drops the good item, someone ninja loots it and quits immediately.

This sounds like a shaggy dog story but this is literally what Everquest was.

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but were one of those reagents a coffin and didn't it take up an entire bag slot?

I have no idea because it wasn't in place in vanilla and I dropped this piece of poo poo a long time before they added it.

• Locked thread