Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
In the book that comes with the army box, there a bunch of basic scenarios using basic models in the box. There is a final scenario that says use anything.

If it isn't on the quick start rules it isn't in the starter box. Let me emphasize this. This mostly includes lore too.

Now any questions? Should I buy additional boxes or just borrow HRGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You should slip a copy of the Kings of War rules into the box before they close it up and put it back on the shelf.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So these rules really are only for this box. Maybe real Warhammer is still coming...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

There are actually a ton of real humans in Age of Sigmar. "Human" isn't a strong trademark, so they have renamed humanity "Stormcast Eternals." :getin:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I must have a certain look on my face as my friend asked if anything was wrong as I was finishing with the box. It's like a little shrine of bad ideas.

So...

There isn't any real lore in here. Boilerplate marine and Khorne stuff. The world was made by Sigmar, accelerate a thousand years of his awesome rule, storm of chaos and it seems like chaos conquers everything. Now it's time for Sigmar to return and reconquest the bad guys.

Rules are literally just the quick start rules, nothing else.

No army building limits outside if the scenarios. Literally the guides on the last scenario says nows your chance to use all your models.

The main book is 50% vision style photographs with little buzzword paragraphs and fake adds to buy more models. It's got a lot about lightning and blood.

Would reccomed KoW or Warmachine or literally anything. Nice... ish models.
the Khorne are totally over the top.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 3, 2015

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There are actually a ton of real humans in Age of Sigmar. "Human" isn't a strong trademark, so they have renamed humanity "Stormcast Eternals." :getin:

2 more days until http://www.games-workshop.com/age-of-sigmar-compendiums goes live.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
friends don't let friends make really poo poo financial decisions

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

So these rules really are only for this box. Maybe real Warhammer is still coming...

not sure how you came to this conclusion

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the rulebook pretty clearly gives the URL for where GW will be putting all the rules for all fantasy units* so this is clearly meant to be the Fantasy Game. At least for a while.

*that are currently sold on their website, and by "currently" they mean at the exact moment on the 4th of July when this goes for sale, so stand by for wholesale stripping of the website's stock

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Is there like a map?
Is Regalia real?
Are the 9 realms like planes?
Or like do they have borders?
Nigmos are they in the 96 page book?

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 3, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm extra mad because a Planescape miniature skirmish game with armies from every faction around the Great Wheel and the Inner Planes is basically the most amazing idea ever (I'm a Planescape nerd shut up) and this gigantic pisstake from GW is probably the closest anyone will come to it

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
There is no map. You've seen all the data online.
Regalia is the best place ever. The Hellenistic Marines hang out there with a sort of Spartan society and inject new recruits with Stormseed to make new marines I guess.
There is nothing about other realms except that they couldn't stand up to the Bloods.
The white dwarf linked has all the background literally.
Nigmos have not been sighted but they do have their own realm with beasts.

This may sound anemic support but keep asking.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 3, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

not sure how you came to this conclusion

The scenarios in the book are set up to use the models in the box.

I know I'm grasping but maybe that's because these rules are really just for the box. Space Hulk doesn't include the rules for 40k, for instance.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
It's possible GW is groping for you rear end or wallet by releasing a fake starter set and real rules are somewhere.

I legitimately don't know how to post from a phone to the Internet via pictures and don't anyone say Facebook or any of those geocities tech places

*shakes cane*

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

I know I'm grasping but maybe that's because these rules are really just for the box. Space Hulk doesn't include the rules for 40k, for instance.

*hugs you*

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

3 minutes later the 4-million website goes down. :v:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

Think about it. They can't be that bad. They can't go from releasing... wood elves? as the last book, jumping ship on the end times, dumping all fantasy books with signs that say "age of sigmar coming", release the age of sigmar which sound horrible and states that you can use all your new models and show picture of models on round bases and promise that all old models will be suported but go through stupid name change filters, and THEN go "naw, 9th ed coming next week" without so much as a hand down the pants to warm things up.
You believe someone at GW wouldn't have said at some point "wait a sec... won't this confuse people"? You are confident enough that this horrible looking ruleset complete with horrible marketing means that somehow all is forgiven, and 9th ed will somehow be great?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Warhammer is a hell of a drug.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Borris posted:

It's possible GW is groping for you rear end or wallet by releasing a fake starter set and real rules are somewhere.

I legitimately don't know how to post from a phone to the Internet via pictures and don't anyone say Facebook or any of those geocities tech places

*shakes cane*

Get the imgur app for android or iphone. It's on google play and on the app store on itunes.

http://imgur.com/apps

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Leperflesh posted:

Get the imgur app for android or iphone. It's on google play and on the app store on itunes.

http://imgur.com/apps

That sounds like a thing I might do later maybe. MAYBE. Pics when I get home. Anyone else have any questions?

After my exclusive chance to play with the amazing new rules I got a crushing win with Thagrosh. He's way better then people give him credit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There has to be something more coming. I'm gonna cry if not. Bloodtears from my Bloodtearducts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm legit surprised Blooducts are not actually a thing yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm extra mad because a Planescape miniature skirmish game with armies from every faction around the Great Wheel and the Inner Planes is basically the most amazing idea ever (I'm a Planescape nerd shut up) and this gigantic pisstake from GW is probably the closest anyone will come to it

Honestly a blood war game made using rules similar to LotR or the old D&D skirmish rules would be really really cool. Too bad demons, devils, archons, etc are almost exclusively rares in the randomized minis packs.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Doctor Borris posted:

*shakes cane*

Are the models really 35mm or are the sigmarines just huge freakazoids???

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Check the bad thread but yes they are huge, as big as a terminator and on terminator bases. Or maybe 35mm I don't know all my GW base size by memory.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Doctor Borris posted:

Check the bad thread but yes they are huge, as big as a terminator and on terminator bases. Or maybe 35mm I don't know all my GW base size by memory.

I mean the Khorne guys specifically. Is the WHOLE range going huge or is it just sigmarines?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I am putting together an OP thread and will be activating private messages if folks want to send title ideas. Current plan is Warhammer AoS weekend at Sigmar's because that movie just fits so well.

I'm collecting some quotes but remember they should be mostly positive not just gently caress this, Kings of War.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I mean the Khorne guys specifically. Is the WHOLE range going huge or is it just sigmarines?

The Knorne guys are all totally huge pierced dudes in thongs and one has a spinal cord for a braid. Maybe a hair smaller the Sigmarines. Oh god do they even have another name?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Doctor Borris posted:

The Knorne guys are all totally huge pierced dudes in thongs and one has a spinal cord for a braid. Maybe a hair smaller the Sigmarines. Oh god do they even have another name?

gently caress :( I guess any new skaven would be huge too.

welp :suicide:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

gently caress :( I guess any new skaven would be huge too.

welp :suicide:

Skaven are pictured in exactly one photo, and they use traditional skaven but half the army are those crazy Rat Ogres with the nipple cannons so its hard to tell exact scale.

The Undead look normal size, but once again there is just one picture.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Doctor Borris posted:

Skaven are pictured in exactly one photo, and they use traditional skaven but half the army are those crazy Rat Ogres with the nipple cannons so its hard to tell exact scale.

The Undead look normal size, but once again there is just one picture.

Well yeah, those would be the old models. I don't mean the base sizes. The new models are gonna be noticeably out of scale with the old...

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
The book is about Sigmarines wrestling with Khorne Bloodbloods and that's it, there are no "check these other army" sections.

I can't tell you how new models will look.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Man, this is the first time I've actually gotten bummed about this dumb thing. I just assumed that even if AoS sucked, they'd keep making skaven and I could keep growing my army for another system. But if they're in a different scale, then I'm hosed :(

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Maybe they're be like giant monster rat ogres with chainsaw hands and eyeball missile launchers and you'll never see another rat slave.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Where the hell is this different scale crap coming from? The Sigmar dudes are huge, so what? Chaos dudes are also huge. You wouldn't say that ogres are in a different scale just because they're larger than a basic human.

I am not saying anything good about Age of Sigmar, only that there's (likely) no need to freak out about the scale of the models changing. These dudes are just a bad example because they're huge.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
ROUSes? I don't think they exist.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Safety Factor posted:

Where the hell is this different scale crap coming from? The Sigmar dudes are huge, so what? Chaos dudes are also huge. You wouldn't say that ogres are in a different scale just because they're larger than a basic human.

I am not saying anything good about Age of Sigmar, only that there's (likely) no need to freak out about the scale of the models changing. These dudes are just a bad example because they're huge.

Youre right that it's too early to tell, the fear (and a rumor) is that the sigmarines ARENT freakish huge compared to any new fantasy stuff. Any new skaven would also look like giants

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Got our advance copy of the box in today.

Ugh

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantasy dudes I'm sorry GW hosed you big time, I'm sure 40k is next.

Until then I'm pissed that they've ruined the Celestial Lions colors. Now my marines look like the lovely sigmarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hustlin Floh posted:

Fantasy dudes I'm sorry GW hosed you big time, I'm sure 40k is next.

Wait'll they release their next game, Orukkamorkka(TM)

• Locked thread