Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Neruz posted:

After reading all that I'm now convinced that this Age of Sigmar stuff is a setup for the reveal that Sigmar is a fragment of the Emperor that has taken on a life of its own and I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point in the future Sigmar serves as a catalyst for the Emperor's reincarnation.

Like, I can just see some giant story campaign in Age of Sigmar that ends with Sigmar mounting the steps of the Golden Throne and then switches to 40k where the Imperium has just collectively shat a brick the size of a star system as the Emperor wakes up.

Sigmarines = Thunder Warriors

PS: I hope all the Oooooruuuuk players gently caress up the campaign and seat Gorgutz on the throne.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skandranon posted:

Sigmarines = Thunder Warriors

Not quite but yeah, the obvious parallels between the Sigmarines and the various forms of Space Marines are what seal the "Sigmar is a fragment of The Emperor" deal for me. There's no way the similarities are coincidental and the only reason I can think of to suddenly start drawing these parallels is if they're planning on fully merging the settings in the future and this is setup for that.

e: Also to whoever said there are no heroes in 40k; you are so wrong. The Orks have tons of heroes including their most heroic hero and prophet; Ghazghkull!

It's just that Ork heroes are Ork heroes, so they don't really seem all that heroic to people who aren't Orks. But then again other people's heroes never seem all that heroic.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 3, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Not quite but yeah, the obvious parallels between the Sigmarines and the various forms of Space Marines are what seal the "Sigmar is a fragment of The Emperor" deal for me. There's no way the similarities are coincidental and the only reason I can think of to suddenly start drawing these parallels is if they're planning on fully merging the settings in the future and this is setup for that.

They literally have LIGHTNING IN THEIR VEINS.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skandranon posted:

They literally have LIGHTNING IN THEIR VEINS.

Yeah but the original Thunder Warriors didn't actually have any thunder or lightning in them; they were basically Super Space Marines; bigger, faster, stronger and way harder\more expensive to make :v:

Sigmarines probably have a better claim to the name 'Thunder Warrior' but that would probably be a bit too on the nose even for this iteration of GW.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

Yeah but the original Thunder Warriors didn't actually have any thunder or lightning in them; they were just Super Space Marines basically; bigger, faster, stronger and way harder\more expensive to make :v:

And designed to die out quickly when he was done with them so they wouldn't threaten him. The Emperor was a huge rear end in a top hat and it's a big reason he failed.

Sigmar, by contrast, was basically Conan if he wasn't allergic to rulership/no longer being a Barbarian. He united the people of the Empire, made bros with the dwarves, set up the electoral system to try to ensure harmony (didn't work so great overall, but it was a good thought) and generally did his best to keep things running. Sigmar was kind of a cool dude until all the End Times bullshit.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I keep reading Stormcast as Stormfront and I'm not going to stop doing that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I kind of hope they're actually thousand sons and it's a long con by tzeentch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Neruz posted:

e: Also to whoever said there are no heroes in 40k; you are so wrong. The Orks have tons of heroes including their most heroic hero and prophet; Ghazghkull!

It's just that Ork heroes are Ork heroes, so they don't really seem all that heroic to people who aren't Orks. But then again other people's heroes never seem all that heroic.

I said there were no heroes with a broad stroke. No faction is heroic. I then explicitly said that individual units could do things that were heroic AND that nobody saw themselves as the villains in their own minds, which is your "They don't seem like heroes because you're not an Ork" thing comes in.

I can't tell if you meant this light-heartedly or not, but it seemed like a shot for no reason. If it was just a lead-in so you could talk about Orks, then by all means go for it. :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty sure chaos see themselves as villains

and dark eldar

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mans posted:

and dark eldar

Dark Eldar I'll give you but you'd be surprised how often Chaos's stuff in both Fantasy and 40k is 'WE ARE THE TRUE HEROES OF FREEDOM' from their point of view, even as they act as even more tightly constrained slaves to horrible rear end in a top hat gods than the people they rebel against.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mans posted:

and dark eldar

Chaos see themselves as fighting against the evil Imperium (and order in general). They definitely see themselves as morally right, and are fighting to expand their territory, etc.. Dark Eldar, on a personal level, don't see anyone else being worth anything at all, beyond whatever they can give you. It'd be like considering yourself evil because you ate a hamburger. It was a cow that died, who cares.

[EDIT] The point is not whether or not a sane person would find their actions villainous. The characters themselves wouldn't have a problem with it. In real life, a serial killer doesn't kill people to be evil. He's got a reason. It's just usually not a rational reason.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hahahahahahaha gently caress me, I thought Orruks was a joke. Nope, it's right there in that scan, Orcs are now Orruks. That Chapterhouse lawsuit must have made GW lawyers super angry.

Ogors hahahahaha

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Chaos see themselves as fighting against the evil Imperium (and order in general). They definitely see themselves as morally right, and are fighting to expand their territory, etc.. Dark Eldar, on a personal level, don't see anyone else being worth anything at all, beyond whatever they can give you. It'd be like considering yourself evil because you ate a hamburger. It was a cow that died, who cares.

[EDIT] The point is not whether or not a sane person would find their actions villainous. The characters themselves wouldn't have a problem with it. In real life, a serial killer doesn't kill people to be evil. He's got a reason. It's just usually not a rational reason.

Dark elves also see their king as the rightful ruler of the high elves kindom if I remember right. So theres a bit of a revenge thing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Them losing out in court to a dude that wrote "Spot the Space Marine" over the term "Space Marine" also probably a motivating factor in coming up with insane names for everything.

Its great since you can usually try to pretend that stuff like that might in some way be considered good business practice but nah they're just huge weirdos about IP and are willing to burn everything down around them over something that has never cost them any money, ever.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot about Spot the Space Marine. "Only Games Workshop may use the term Space Marine as we invented it, please ignore everyone who used the term decades before we did."

Once again, so loving glad that CA got the good fantasy setting.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Has it been confirmed that they're stopping support for good fantasy?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The writing in that magazine :psyboom:

"Those who join the Bloodreavers to preserve their skin (quite literally) unwittingly strike a pact with Khorne, becoming even more bloodthirsty and cannibalistic."

"It is Vandus Hammerhand's destiny to fight the Mighty Lord of Khorne Khorgos Khul, for it is this bloodthirsty maniac that stands in the way of capture of the Gate of Azyr"

Also Ogres are ogors now...

alex314 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 3, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd pay real money (like maybe $1 or $2) to have seen the behind doors conversations on the entirety of Age of Sigmar's genesis

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

alex314 posted:

Also Ogres are ogors now...

The old warhammer is ogor

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I just love this bit:

quote:

For long aeons they [Chaos] attempted violent entry into the vast lands and worlds unto which Sigmar had brought peace, but they were ever repulsed by the cold steel of good men and their allies.

But nothing lasts forever, and Sigmar's great alliance fractured. Ultimately broken beyond repair by the greatest of betrayals, Sigmar's rule faltered, and Chaos found the foothold it needed.

So, humanity was doing quite alright under its great leader, but then suddenly there was a great betrayal from within and it all broke apart, allowing Chaos to gain a foothold. If that sounds familiar, that's because it's the exact same loving thing that happened in 40k. Do those fuckers not notice that they're just regurgitating the same old clichees, or do they just not care?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Perestroika posted:

So, humanity was doing quite alright under its great leader, but then suddenly there was a great betrayal from within and it all broke apart, allowing Chaos to gain a foothold. If that sounds familiar, that's because it's the exact same loving thing that happened in 40k. Do those fuckers not notice that they're just regurgitating the same old clichees, or do they just not care?

They love their stabbed in the back myth. :v:

OK, OK, I'll stop

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] And everything is either "beyond comprehension" or "beyond imagination".

For writers that have no creative instincts whatsoever, surely everything in this setting must be "beyond comprehension" and especially "beyond imagination".

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's beyond my comprehension anyway

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I wonder if people are actually going to buy this poo poo or if the whole thing is going to implode and bring GW crashing down at last.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

my dad posted:

They love their stabbed in the back myth. :v:

OK, OK, I'll stop

Have we seriously done a full circle from "mock fach" to "pander fach"?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
It's painfully obvious the orroks and ogors poo poo is just so they can trademark the new names they've made up

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

alex314 posted:

"It is Vandus Hammerhand's destiny to fight the Mighty Lord of Khorne Khorgos Khul, for it is this bloodthirsty maniac that stands in the way of capture of the Gate of Azyr"

Mighty Lord KKK? :pwn:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I can almost hear them call me SCUM around the halls of Vivec.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I dont know posted:

Mighty Lord KKK? :pwn:

:golfclap:

It's great we get some variation of good old WFRP world instead of this loving retarded reality balls, that totally touched.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

Have we seriously done a full circle from "mock fach" to "pander fach"?

Yes. Warhammer has basically done this. Like, seriously, most of the newer stuff for 40k is about how awesome Inquisitors are as mighty men of Will who hold the lives of billions in their hands and how incredible the superhuman Marines are, etc. There's not a trace of irony or 'You know actually this place is poo poo, right?' left in any of the official stuff.

Also, crossposting from the Fantasy thread, this apparently went out to store managers, so yeah, :fork:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 3, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I keep seeing the term "hobbyists" crop up. Are GW the only people who use that phrase to refer to their (hypothetical ideal) customers in the modern age? Also the phrase "Fabulous new Miniatures" shows what GW really thinks is important doesn't it?

EDIT: I mean yes, I know that you could unironically call old people who paint small toy ships or something "hobbyists" but for the kind of people who are into Warhammer...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 3, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's so fuckin on the nose and unsubtle I kind of love it. It's like one of our really awkward and hammy RPG sessions come to life.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Yeah but the original Thunder Warriors didn't actually have any thunder or lightning in them; they were basically Super Space Marines; bigger, faster, stronger and way harder\more expensive to make :v:

Sigmarines probably have a better claim to the name 'Thunder Warrior' but that would probably be a bit too on the nose even for this iteration of GW.

I did not mean literally, but there could not be more metaphors pointing to it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ShineDog posted:

It's so fuckin on the nose and unsubtle I kind of love it. It's like one of our really awkward and hammy RPG sessions come to life.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

*Poochy's home planet died on it's way back to the store shelves

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zaodai posted:

*Poochy's home planet died on it's way back to the store shelves

:golfclap:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

You know I liked both settings because they were distinct enough

Submarines makes me hate both

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So it seems that AoS seems to be trying to get back to the good ol' days of silly Warhammer. Just look at these ACTUAL rules:

quote:

The Grail Vow: You can re-roll all failed hit rolls for this unit if, before rolling the dice, you hold aloft a grail or goblet and shout ‘For the Lady’ in a heroic voice.

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

quote:

And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble...: If Settra the Imperishable uses this ability, you must hold out your hand and utter 'War' in a supremely commanding tone. If you do, then until your next Hero phase you can add 1 to all hit rolls for Death units in your army that are within 18" of Settra during the combat phase. If a Deathrattle unit is affected by this ability, you can also had 1 to their wound rolls in the combat phase. However, if Settra is your general, you must not kneel for any reason during the battle. If you do, even once, you immediately lose the battle. Settra does not kneel!

And my personal favourites:

quote:

1: In your hero phase, the Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the scores together and consult the table below to see what happens (no modifiers can be applied to this roll).
2: Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).
Children of the Horned Rat: Verminous Offering.
3:If 'Children of the Horned Rat' is successfully cast you may summon 2D6 Clanrats within 6' of the caster. If you have brought a live rat to the game and it is happily gnawing on the painted scenery you may instead summon 4d6 Clanrats. If you have brought the rotting corpse of a rat to the game you may only summon 3d6 additional Clanrats

quote:

The Mad Count: Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

I dunno, I'm kind of warming up to AoS.

EDIT: Oh my God.

quote:

One Bat Short of a Belfry: Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, reroll all failed hit rolls instead.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 4, 2015

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I... I don't..... what.......??

edit: jesus christ, they're real

peer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is actually the first encouraging news I've seen since End Times.

• Locked thread