Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk murder anyone who has tried to retire the a-10

execution via avenger cannon gun run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

:tootzzz:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

execution via avenger cannon gun run

By "gun run" you mean nork-style where they just park the plane and rattle off some rounds at the bean counter tied to a post who suggested spiking it, yes?

Cause yes.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Not set to Sail. 111/10

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Ogrel72 posted:

Not set to Sail. 111/10

yea they somehow managed to find a lamer song

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ogrel72 posted:

Not set to Sail. 111/10

All the old videos I could find from the "archives" of the Air Wing (ie some cardboard boxes in Miramar) were all from the mid 80s through mid 90s. Every single one was set to Panama by Van Halen or Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

The golden age if you ask me

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Why is it always some lovely electronic music? Those are metal as gently caress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

metal as gently caress.

http://youtubedoubler.com/fTlw

I was tempted to use raining blood, but the slow pace of south of haven fits the slow speed of the 'hog.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any sort of plan for a CAS replacement? There's the Super Tucano but that's still mired in legal action and nowhere near as scary as the A-10. That should be in the requirments for CAS platforms: Reall6 loving scary.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there any sort of plan for a CAS replacement? There's the Super Tucano but that's still mired in legal action and nowhere near as scary as the A-10. That should be in the requirments for CAS platforms: Reall6 loving scary.

The F-35. Yes they're actually serious when they say that.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Some Libyans have decided all that fancy naval poo poo laying around needs to be put to good use. :madmax: :hf::catstare:

Bonus non libya.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Casimir Radon posted:

There's always the AC-130

I wonder if an A-26 can mount the GAU-8?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dilettante. posted:

Some Libyans have decided all that fancy naval poo poo laying around needs to be put to good use. :madmax: :hf::catstare:

Bonus non libya.

It's like watching the evolution of WWI armor.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Is that a BMP turret? Creative.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

The F-35. Yes they're actually serious when they say that.

Most (fixed-wing) CAS these days is done with some flavor of PGM, so I don't imagine the F-35 will be any worse at it than any other strike fighter, at least once they get the targeting pod figured out. Especially if they decide "gently caress LO" and load it up with hardpoints. It's a ludicrously expensive and overdesigned asset for that kind of mission, but c'est la multirole.

I do like to point to the Super Tucano as the "next-gen A-10 replacement" that people wish for when moaning about retiring the A-10. Aside from the gun, it's got most of the same strengths and weaknesses: slow, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, highly vulnerable to MANPADS. It doesn't have quite the same payload, but you're usually not employing multiple tons of ordnance to take out a building or a few trucks on your typical CAS mission. I think it would be a great thing to have in our inventory for that kind of permissive, flexible, affordable CAS requirement.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dilettante. posted:

Bonus non libya.

There's also the Kurdish Super BRDM-2.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Most (fixed-wing) CAS these days is done with some flavor of PGM, so I don't imagine the F-35 will be any worse at it than any other strike fighter, at least once they get the targeting pod figured out. Especially if they decide "gently caress LO" and load it up with hardpoints. It's a ludicrously expensive and overdesigned asset for that kind of mission, but c'est la multirole.

I do like to point to the Super Tucano as the "next-gen A-10 replacement" that people wish for when moaning about retiring the A-10. Aside from the gun, it's got most of the same strengths and weaknesses: slow, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, highly vulnerable to MANPADS. It doesn't have quite the same payload, but you're usually not employing multiple tons of ordnance to take out a building or a few trucks on your typical CAS mission. I think it would be a great thing to have in our inventory for that kind of permissive, flexible, affordable CAS requirement.

Next-gen A-10 replacement? A Reaper with the Longbow's radar strapped onto the nose.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's also the Kurdish Super BRDM-2.
Weird-looking vehicle just got even weirder.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I am personally enjoying all the insane modifications that they are doing to HMMVWs and M113s

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYoHWFoE9Q4

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Chinatown posted:

I am personally enjoying all the insane modifications that they are doing to HMMVWs and M113s

I wonder if any of the apc mods are anything more than just shaped sheet metal. If it's all proper armor plate it's going to add a fuckload of weight to them.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Fun fact, after adding lots of armor plating to some of our existing fleet of M113s to make them better able to withstand IEDs, the Danish army had to take them back out of use as they were simply too heavy to function.

Fake edit: This was after they had to raise the roofs of them as you weren't actually able to sit inside them after all the mods. Nobody thought to check the height of the crew compartment until after they were done retrofitting.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbi2UFKNmSI

VA "not taking new members."

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Errrr, there's over 750k vets in Georgia alone, and they can't even put in decent roads, mass transit, or balance a budget, and you expect to get into a clinic of your choice just because you walk in?

Welcome to Georgia?

And Georgia people not being helpful or professional? Why, I never!

not caring here fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 2, 2015

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
loving hell, I have top level 'private' healthcare paid for the government until I die, on top of the UHC we have anyway, because I was hit in the neck by chunks of glass, dislodged by a bullet, that had to be removed from my neck and scone surgically. This also covers my wife, who is foreign, and our two crying poo poo machines basically forever.

What the gently caress is wrong with your vet affairs?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The people who scream loudest about ARE TROOPS are the same ones who don't want to raise taxes to fund their healthcare.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Why a manned prop plane over an attack helicopter or drone equivilant of a Super Tucano?

Serious question I know very little about things that fly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Plus, I've read some (probably Russian) poo poo saying that the 30mm bullets out of the GAU-8 aren't even enough to penetrate most modern MBT armor unless it gets a perfectly angled hit on a weak spot, making the gun itself pretty pointless

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm sure someone the US will bomb in the near future will still be using T-55's or 62's and the 30mm can bust those up pretty well.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus, I've read some (probably Russian) poo poo saying that the 30mm bullets out of the GAU-8 aren't even enough to penetrate most modern MBT armor unless it gets a perfectly angled hit on a weak spot, making the gun itself pretty pointless

Armor on the top is never very thick and I'm sure it goes through that just fine.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It's quicker to just dump a hellfire or maverick into the tank :shrug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Reverand maynard posted:

Why a manned prop plane over an attack helicopter or drone equivilant of a Super Tucano?

Serious question I know very little about things that fly.

I wouldn't say "over" helos or drones, since all three have useful niches. A turboprop is still faster, longer range, and higher altitude than a helicopter, and manned aircraft still have some useful advantages over drones in a number of areas. CAS places a high value on flexibility and coordination with ground forces, neither of which drones are very good at right now.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
How soon will drone strikes be like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUTnUpTYIc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, isn't a burst of 30mm rounds cheaper than a Hellfire?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

F-111's killed way more tanks than A-10's in Desert Storm.

The ability to carry lots and lots of PGMs seems to be more valuable than being a good strafer.

Of course the F-35 is neither.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

convert a10s to drones and fly them over riotous american cities

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

convert a10s to drones and fly them over riotous american cities

Paint them all black first just to REALLY freak people out.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/5rrO8hJ.webm

imgur comments:

The initial poof of smoke after the blast isn't wind, it's the heat from the light burning and vaporizing everything it touches.

Yeah, see those telephone poles? They're not being blown away, they're boiling.

Amazing, the light from the explosion changes the contrast from the camera, making the world look like its gone dark.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

Here are some relevant documents. Basically the T-62's frontal armor is thick enough to stop the GAU-8.
http://dsearch.dtic.mil/search?site...G=Google+search

Against modern tanks I'd say that while you could probably knock them out from the back, or wreck their suspension from the side/front, it wouldn't be worth trying because close-in defenses are a world apart from what was around when the A-10 was designed.

Duke Chin posted:

Paint them all black first just to REALLY freak people out.

Powder blue with UN emblems.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Getting penetrations on a modern MBT or not, how useful is the tank going to be after getting strafed by an A-10 anyhow? You might not kill the crew but that tank is still going to be wrecked and needing a rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, if you aren't getting full armor penetration, that could range from "holy gently caress what was that? Screw it, let's roll" to "holy gently caress we're stuck in a steel coffin" and every gradient in between.

• Locked thread