Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
BREAK OUT THE TEA AND WHISKY BOYS, THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED

Edit- WAIT poo poo IT'S BRANDY, I'M AN AWFUL PERSON

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

How? Why? :psyduck:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What the gently caress? that means eventually we're gonna get dvds at a reasonable price? :aaa:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
EDIT: Well, I confused them. Then this is even better news, all aboard the hype train.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
You're thinking of Aniplex. Sentai releases stuff super cheap.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Wonder which version, though. Don't both the DVDs and Blurays have newly redrawn stuff? (With the Blurays being upscales?)

If Sentai is stuck with SD masters, I wonder if they'll pull a Discotek and throw 20ish hours of SD video on a single Bluray.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Well... touché

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are not going to use laserdisc masters. Sorry but you're gonna get pink Yang.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, am I dreaming

are they dubbing it?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy poo poo, am I dreaming

are they dubbing it?

Dubbing is extremely expensive, and it'd severely delay the releases. Sentai isn't known for investing much money into their dubs. They release more subbed material instead.

bondster
May 6, 2007

2015 is shaping up to be a fantastic year so far with poo poo I want happening.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I am so excited. So goddamn excited!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well, the impossible just happened. Good news for everyone interested in legally owning a great show.

I'm not overly concerned with what particular format we get as long as it's finally made available.

Given the length of the show, this would likely require at least three or four boxsets. I really hope people do come out and support the release.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm more pumped for the novels tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Said a crazy person

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I don't know where they lie in quality between bad/alright/good, but I've already watched the series twice and am a bit burnt out on it. If the books are well written and well translated, I can't see how they won't be interesting. I read all of the Wheel of Time series; Word vomit and detailed descriptions of settings and battles ain't no problem

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
There are fan translations of some of the first novels but I've heard that they are pretty bad. Not sure if it's a reflection of the translation or the writing.

The DVD/Blu-Rays or whatever should be definitely worth getting though. I have the set on a really old VCD copy and it's pretty unwatchable now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I picked up the first novel for some reading practice and only got a few pages in. It dumps all the exposition of the entire series at the beginning. After that it might well be fine but that first bit is an unbearable slog.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The novel is like 50% fake history book. Not only is the author huge on exposition, he's huge on repeating it every time a particular subject is brought up. Also insane amounts of detail. You know that scene where Reinhard just starts listing personnel for Operation Ragnarok, and he names like the entire Empire cast plus ten guys that you never hear about again? That happens a lot in the books. As dry as the anime is the novel makes it look like FLCL by comparison

What I'm saying is temper your expectations

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Elotana posted:

The novel is like 50% fake history book. Not only is the author huge on exposition, he's huge on repeating it every time a particular subject is brought up. Also insane amounts of detail. You know that scene where Reinhard just starts listing personnel for Operation Ragnarok, and he names like the entire Empire cast plus ten guys that you never hear about again? That happens a lot in the books. As dry as the anime is the novel makes it look like FLCL by comparison

What I'm saying is temper your expectations

Sounds amazing to me, but I read military history for fun.

There's nothing quite like being violently dragged out of the narrative so the author can sperg about fighter doctrine or shipbuilding techniques or naval strategy for 50+ pages.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There hasn't been any mention of when they'll be released yet, has there? Or what quality?

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
It would be really nifty if they somehow scheduled the books and episodic dvd's in tandem, so that really nutty fans could read the chapters which people originally funded the animation for, then watch and compare. Though the absence of Dusty would be a little disconcerting, not to mention sad.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Translated books, Subbed DVDs (maybe blurays?) and hopefully the new Adaptation coming along at some point? It's a good time to be alive.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
30 new posts in the LoGH thread, I knew poo poo had gone down, still wasn't expecting this :stare: I am MAKING shelf space for this.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Hold on, where is it confirmed that the original anime is coming to the west?
The page here says:

quote:

A stage production of the series had announced last year that a new anime adaptation was in the works. The new anime is not a remake of the earlier anime, but another anime adaptation of the original novels with a new staff.

and links back to this old announcement from last year about the new anime. But the latest announcement doesn't explicitly say which version is coming west, unless I'm missing something.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
The new one will be called something else, and nobody picks up a show that hasn't even aired yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Er, companies pick stuff up to simulcast all the time.

If it turns out they didn't license the primary OVA series somehow, though, that'd be the greatest and most PR-annihilating troll ever

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
JUST KIDDING they actually recently licensed the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky property, no hard feelings right guys :downs:

I'll admit the ANN article is confusing, it's all about the original series but then it does throw in that last paragraph mentioning a new adaptation out of nowhere. I'm seeing lots of different sites talking about this, CrunchyRoll and even Central Anime's forums, but so far it looks like everything is linking back to the ANN article, so if that's inaccurate then who knows what's really going to happen. I'm placing this in the 'cautiously optimistic' portion of my brain for the time being.

A Twitter thread with the con announce pic.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

The_White_Crane posted:

Hold on, where is it confirmed that the original anime is coming to the west?
The page here says:

and links back to this old announcement from last year about the new anime. But the latest announcement doesn't explicitly say which version is coming west, unless I'm missing something.

I believe (and hope) you're just thinking a bit too hard about it. I think they would have wanted to promote the fact that they were doing the simultaneous release dealy. Also, as this seems to be a sort of "Sentai Has Divine Revelation; Pleases Previously Unlisenced/Out of Print Anime Fans" move by the company, the mention of the new series was likely done along the same line of reasoning as bringing up the stage production: giving those unfamiliar with the series a general background of just how far this franchise has reached and where it intends to go.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Er, companies pick stuff up to simulcast all the time.

If it turns out they didn't license the primary OVA series somehow, though, that'd be the greatest and most PR-annihilating troll ever

This is really splitting hairs, since I was very clearly talking about physical releases, not digital simulcasts.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh poo poo, it's getting an official release? I'd better start watching again. I've never made it past the end of season one, and that makes me sad.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So... is it actually happening, or is it not? Because if it is, someone has to remake the Ron Paul gif with LOGH characters asap.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Holy poo poo this show is so loving good, why did I ever stop watching it?

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
Your anime quality preservation gland was working in overdrive. It knew that nothing would ever be this good ever again.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh, goddamn. The Reuental/ Schenkopp knife fight in Episode 43 was the coolest thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, goddamn. The Reuental/ Schenkopp knife fight in Episode 43 was the coolest thing.

I honesty couldn't take it very seriously when it happened, I know it's the 90's but the still character against moving background nearly made me burst out laughing and I don't think that was intended

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I honesty couldn't take it very seriously when it happened, I know it's the 90's but the still character against moving background nearly made me burst out laughing and I don't think that was intended

I must have been too caught up in it, because I didn't even notice that!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Is it ever explained why the tyrannical ruling dynasty of the not-Prussian Galactic Empire has a Jewish surname?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

-baum is no more inherently Jewish than -berg

It's just German and most Ashkenazi Jews happen to trace their ancestry to German-speaking parts of Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Both "Gold' as part of a German name and -baum are generally associated with Jewish families and it's not just a weird stereotype thing. They're generally considered ingredients for names that imply beauty or romanticism, and a noticeable amount of Ashkenazi Jewish surnames were made to sound pretty. This being a result of most Jewish families, who did not already have proper surnames as was their custom until that point, in German-speaking countries taking up surnames in a time when such notions were in vogue. If a name sounds, ahem, "fancy schmancy" to German ears it was probably a name specifically chosen, and the population most likely to be in a position to choose a name rather than to already have one would be Jewish.

So "Goldenbaum" is a totally Jewish surname.

http://jewishcurrents.org/the-origins-and-meanings-of-ashkenazic-last-names-12849

Which just adds an extra bit of dark irony to the Empire's history.