Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I bet they'll try to do the already annoying upgrade card collecting gist from x-wing, but gw it up so your Aelf Birdfucker has the fly keyword but if you want the rules for flying you have to buy the Bloodwinged Bloodostrich Bloodherd box, webstore exclusive 3 models for only £79,99! Exclusive flight rules expansion for the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar fantasy miniatures game included!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Zwiebel posted:

lol at you for running old warhammer goblins in the year of sigmar 2015.
You're supposed to buy the new warscroll gangbang grotlings that have a hard counter to 50 bloodthirsters if you run them in this exclusive limited edition formation available from their webstore.

Then the Bloodthirster guy just deploys 49 of them and your formation is useless. Or he deploys only 5 bloodthirsters and get to use instant death.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

New "Retributor Armour Spray" to "Effortlessly base your Stormcast Eternals"

£17, or $28

And the 12ml quick-drying-pot is 4.5€. :doh:
Ummm no, I think I'll just go down to the modeling store where Vallejo paints are 2€ per 17ml and come in muted-realistic/bright-fantasy/airbrush lines and more "special effects" stuff than I know what to do with.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously if this doesn't flop in three months, I will be appaled at GW players. Also everything I've heard from People In The Know is that this is it and there's no 9th. However I wouldn't be surprised if we get a rushed 9th edition before the end of the year if this thing really bombs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Radish posted:

Seriously if this doesn't flop in three months, I will be appaled at GW players. Also everything I've heard from People In The Know is that this is it and there's no 9th. However I wouldn't be surprised if we get a rushed 9th edition before the end of the year if this thing really bombs.l

It'll somehow sell well at first (because dumb people will buy it mistakenly thinking they can use the models for 40k / KoW conversions but can't due to scale, also newcomers who are too innocent to know what they're being sold), and GW will see this as a sign that AoS is what the fans wanted all along.

And then next year we get 40k: Age of the Emperor.

Honestly I think the best that can be hoped for is that AoS doesn't do well and GW just takes their ball and goes home on the fantasy title.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

How does the 1/2" rule affect models on flying stands?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hilariously.

Honestly I don't see 9th after this. A lot of new players will come into AoS and think "Gee you Fantasy players were dumb."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AoS looks totally unplayable so I don't think it will pick up new players. The only people buying this at launch will be desperate Fantasy fans hoping that there's something everyone else has missed and it's salvageable.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's the worst case scenario really. New people might try Age of S once, realize how bad it is, and just assume the whole hobby is like that and swear off it completely.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
From what I can see AoS seems to be great rules for essentially a self-contained boxed game, but once you add even extra models from a duplicate copy of the same set poo poo starts getting massively unwieldy and unbalanced.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Warhammer AoS: Seems to be great rules for essentially a self-contained boxed game, but once you add even extra models from a duplicate copy of the same set poo poo starts getting massively unwieldy and unbalanced.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think the rules are pretty lovely even for a boxed game

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They are. I don't know why people are trying to convince themselves otherwise.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Where Everything's Made Up And The Points Don't Matter.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

AoS looks totally unplayable so I don't think it will pick up new players. The only people buying this at launch will be desperate Fantasy fans hoping that there's something everyone else has missed and it's salvageable.

Present and accounted for.

I like the Chaos models :/

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lord Twisted posted:

From what I can see AoS seems to be great rules for essentially a self-contained boxed game, but once you add even extra models from a duplicate copy of the same set poo poo starts getting massively unwieldy and unbalanced.

I take it you haven't played a board game made in the last 30 years?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

Present and accounted for.

I like the Chaos models :/

or maybe give the money to a company that doesnt want to directly poo poo into your mouth???

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

or maybe give the money to a company that doesnt want to directly poo poo into your mouth???

Don't kinkshame. I want the Chaos models to play 8th, and I'll base them on 25mm squares. I'll sell the Sigmarines and fluff book on eBay.

On a side note, more terrain and interior pic of the arch:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just keep thinking that with a point system and army construction rule that is either fan created or otherwise, the basic rules are still only 'okay'. Movement has nearly no tactical value, no flanking, no forward arc for LOS, etc. The lack of relative values for WS, S/T is just boring as you really only need to worry about getting rending weapons onto high armour targets. Shooting will be way way overpowered since you can shoot in combat and into combat. The mortal wounds rule is stupidly overpowered. Magic is simplified to the point where there is no need to plan the phase, every wizard seems to be able to cast every spell once per turn and there is practically no variability. It's just a *bad game*.

This might actually be the best thing to happen for me. I'll have no need for any new models, just keep playing 8th and GW will never see another dime from me on the fantasy side of things.

Thanks GW!

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Kings.
of.
War.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

Don't kinkshame. I want the Chaos models to play 8th, and I'll base them on 25mm squares. I'll sell the Sigmarines and fluff book on eBay.

On a side note, more terrain and interior pic of the arch:

I still like the terrain they put out. I will give them that much.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

I just keep thinking that with a point system and army construction rule that is either fan created or otherwise, the basic rules are still only 'okay'. Movement has nearly no tactical value, no flanking, no forward arc for LOS, etc. The lack of relative values for WS, S/T is just boring as you really only need to worry about getting rending weapons onto high armour targets. Shooting will be way way overpowered since you can shoot in combat and into combat. The mortal wounds rule is stupidly overpowered. Magic is simplified to the point where there is no need to plan the phase, every wizard seems to be able to cast every spell once per turn and there is practically no variability. It's just a *bad game*.

This might actually be the best thing to happen for me. I'll have no need for any new models, just keep playing 8th and GW will never see another dime from me on the fantasy side of things.

Thanks GW!

*hugs you*

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

*hugs you*

:a2m:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

I still like the terrain they put out. I will give them that much.

Yeah I might pick up some of that terrain from a third party.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Video battle report, long-time gamer versus a totally new wargame player. Curious to see how it works out and it gives me a reason to waste 90 minutes at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5aBPxtBIGU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LOL he's not even started and he's already fixing poo poo.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The UK Warhammer forum has a dude who played a game - and got sniffy with people slating it who'd only read the rules - and he was all NO THIS IS ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD

of course he'd fudged the LOS rules and measured to bases instead, and they agreed on armies instead of the normal deployment rules...

So even the people who desperately want to like it are automatically ditching poo poo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

Video battle report, long-time gamer versus a totally new wargame player. Curious to see how it works out and it gives me a reason to waste 90 minutes at work:

The way he interpreted "pick 0-3 terrain features" as "roll a d3" is just :psyduck:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

So even the people who desperately want to like it are automatically ditching poo poo

Like I said before, even fixing that dort of thing, the lack of relative unit abilities is just going to make it boring. A Goblin wounds a Dragon as easily as it wounds an elf. The only stat that really matters for defense is armour now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

this is such a loving mess

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

this is such a loving mess

I kind of like how the vet is asking questions of the newb, and he has no loving clue. At 24m the Newb is asking if his character is part of the unit he's next to, and they have no idea.

If characters aren't part of a unit, they are going to be hilariously easy to kill with magic or shooting.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
^^^oh god the combat phase

ohhhh goddddd this is painful

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly Fantasy really didn't seem very distinctive from other IPs and would probably have lost a lot as KoW matured anyway but lo and behold, the solution to seeing the check engine light on was to drive off a cliff.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think im going to poo poo myself this is so bad to watch

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

I think im going to poo poo myself this is so bad to watch

And yet I can't stop watching.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol @ measuring from the tip of a pike on one of his horsie dudes

this loving game

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I quit and watched his review of the WD rules. He was extremely favorable and inexplicably hid in a closet.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lmao

1:31

the game is over and he asks the other dude "what do you think"

*literally seconds of silence followed by a thousand yard stare* "...pretty neat..."

lol

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Prosequator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im done I cant handle this anymore

gonna get poo poo faced and see what I wake up to tomorrow