Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Did anyone catch the story over the weekend about Greeks sinking their money into used luxury cars?

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/greeks-crisis/greeces-car-dealers-prosper-amid-widespread-hardship

The markets and banks are so bad that putting your money into a depreciating asset is the only way to keep it safe. It seems like withdrawing everything and burying it in an urn would be smarter though. If it's not in a bank then Greece can't convert your Euros to whatever-is-considered-money-next-week. And while your urn could get stolen, so can your used BMW.

You can't withdraw the money, due to the capital controls going on in Greece. If I were in greece it might be the only time in my life I might consider looking at Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I dunno, it depends on her living situation and medical situation building up to this, the '00s were loving brutal if you slipped through the cracks

I mean I won't call her wise with money but some people just get hosed by the system, and you can't lay all of it down on them

That's why this BWM is one to feel sad for and not laugh at. Not all BWM is entertaining.

Foma posted:

You can't withdraw the money, due to the capital controls going on in Greece. If I were in greece it might be the only time in my life I might consider looking at Bitcoin.

The problem with bitcoin is that you still need money to buy them and if you're trapped by the capital controls you're in trouble either way. In the past bullion and Rolex were the things to get to preserve your wealth long enough to cross the border and cash out.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 1, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
When did the capital controls go into effect? I can't imagine not having seen the writing on the wall, shouldn't the bank run have happened years ago? Certainly I wouldn't have left my life savings in a greek bank account at any time after, say, 2011.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

When did the capital controls go into effect? I can't imagine not having seen the writing on the wall, shouldn't the bank run have happened years ago? Certainly I wouldn't have left my life savings in a greek bank account at any time after, say, 2011.

The cash was starting to flow back into Greece as things were settling down. I the last week or so it's looking like things are turning to poo poo so a gigantic bank run started. The bank run was going for about a week until capital controls were declared a matter of days ago and the stock market was shut down.

Things have been moving and shifting with changes in confidence. I suspect everyone there is numb to noise about payment default then the payments have gone through, now it looks like it could happen and financial aid is being withheld. I'm expecting a large scale riot to break out if things get worse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the constitutional basis for capital controls? Is it something in the banking regulations?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It will be banking regulations and is probably central bank driven. Protecting what's left of the financial stability in Greece is a significant national interest. Also they would have an issue if the money comes out Tier 2 capital under Basel III. The banks would be in deep poo poo at that point.

e: A bank run of this scale easily threatens to collapse every bank in Greece.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What would it being Tier 2 signify?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

What would it being Tier 2 signify?

Tier 1 capital and the additional Tier 1 capital is cash and financial instruments they can release when things are bad but are expected to rebuild those funds when the profits are good (a bank emergency fund for unexpected expenses).

Tier 2 is the capital that represents the actual shareholder value (ownership) of the bank. If that's gone the bank is underwater and is probably illiquid.

I've paraphrased a bit and I am not an expert in banking regulations so my explanation might not be perfect.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
You guys need to stop writing "BWM" because I keep seeing "BMW" and I can't seem to wrap my head around how some of these non car chat posts are about cars

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
On second thought the two acronyms are basically synonymous so I'll allow it

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

On second thought the two acronyms are basically synonymous so I'll allow it

I've thought that ever since the acronyms started being used.

Bad with money content Greece has defaulted on their IMF payment and Sunday is the referendum to determine if they stick with the Euro.

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/greece-officially-in-arrears-on-imf-loan-as-deadline-passes-31339314.html

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

oxsnard posted:

You guys need to stop writing "BWM" because I keep seeing "BMW" and I can't seem to wrap my head around how some of these non car chat posts are about cars

Dont forget about all of the people who are BWW or BBW with money

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

I know a few guys like this

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Foma posted:

This was before the recent cap on withdrawals, so people were conceivably withdrawing all their Euros and buying 3 year old Mercedes. The odd part is, even the dealers acknowledged none of the cars were collector's items. Just regular old luxury cars that probably lose 10% of their value each year.

But they're still better off than any poor fool with money in a Greek bank. I imagine they'll vote themselves out of the Euro and then convert all the old currency into new currency at a laughably optimistic exchange rate that'll collapse immediately on the world market. On the plus side it's about to get a whole lot cheaper to vacation in Greece.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

...BBW with money

I have a lot of lady equity.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Is salary discrimination against overweight women a thing? I bet it's a thing.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

also lmao

Joementum posted:

According to his tax returns, Jeb! bought $77,000 of Lehman Brothers stock... in July of 2008. :laugh:

He got $54 back on that "investment".

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3bpgxb/how_to_get_younger_brother_to_realize_that_hes/

quote:

Ok, some information.
I have a younger brother who's 19 years old. He came back from boarding school about a year ago (parents sent him when he was 16 1/2 due to his drug problem, dropping out of High School, and multiple run-ins with the cops). My parents at that time had no other choice but to send him off to said boarding school, which cost them a total of $130,000 in loans (second mortgage). Fast forward to now.
Ever since he got home last August he has been, in my mind irresponsibly spending money. It's good that he got a job, has been working ever since. He works 20-25 hours a week making$14/h. School doesn't seem to be for him since my parents have been trying to push him to enroll at the local Community College, since last August and he has yet to enroll (that's fine as long as he's being a productive member of Society right?). Anyways, since coming back, he has asked my parents to "help" him buy a car and phone, to better help him get a job. My parents eventually caved in and bought him said items.
Car = $5500,: iphone 6 plus = $700
To this day my parents still haven't seen a penny of it. Also, whenever he goes out with his "friends" he ends up paying for all of them. My parents tell me that his monthly credit card bill is an upward of $900/month. (He just got a credit card in late April).
Begin Rant
Ok, so here's where the rant begins. I'm currently back home from college, and out of the blue he comes up to me and asks for $3000. I ask him what's it for, turns out it's because he wants to go to Disneyland with some chick that he just met (did I mention he's going to cover 100% of her expenses also?). I said no, because well, I'm still in college and have my own loans, and bills to take care of. He gets pissed and starts calling me a jackass and how I don't understand adult life (hahaha). My parents however agreed to pay for his hotel expenses, but not the tickets/gas/food, (hence why he needs $3000 from me).
He then goes to the bank to try to apply for a loan with no credit history, thinking he will get one. He then goes and takes a $1000 cash advance on his credit card. He now has $1700 in the bank. He keeps thinking everything will be fine and that he can make the payments with no problems.
TL;DR
Brother wants more money either through my parents, me, or through a loan, to go to Disneyland in a couple of weeks with this chick, who's not his girlfriend and pay for everything. Every outing with friends he ends up paying for everyone. Makes roughly $1200/month and spends (on his credit card) upwards of $900/month.
How do I help him understand that:
A) Getting a loan is not easy
B) He has to pay it back on time
C) Going to Disneyland and paying for a chick who he's not dating is ill-advised.
D) He can't keep spending money like this.
-Thanks
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3bms6q/just_married_whats_the_best_use_of_all_this_money/

quote:

I just got married at the beginning of the month. My wife and I received about $11,000 in monetary gifts. We opened a joint savings account with a 0.99% interest rate, and for now, that's where the money is hanging out. In paying for the wedding and honeymoon we both accumulated about $5,000 in credit card debt and both of our cards have around a 12% interest rate. We each make payments of about $500/month toward the debt.
I love that we finally have a good chunk of dough in savings, but I can't shake the feeling that we would be better off depleting it to pay off the debt, then building savings back up. Historically we (really, just me) are terrible at saving.
Any advice on the best use of these savings?
Thanks so much in advance!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pig slut lisa posted:

Is salary discrimination against overweight women a thing? I bet it's a thing.

100% a thing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Didn't he gross like $25 mil between 2007 and 2013? I'm sure he's not missing that money too much.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

On the Greece thing, can someone post a nice overall explanation of what happened? I'm out of the loop and uninformed and would like a nice unbiased article or link about what is going on.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

BloodBag posted:

On the Greece thing, can someone post a nice overall explanation of what happened? I'm out of the loop and uninformed and would like a nice unbiased article or link about what is going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/business/international/greece-debt-crisis-euro.html?_r=0

Wikipedia also has some info, but it's not presented as simply as the NYT article

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Devian666 posted:

That's why this BWM is one to feel sad for and not laugh at. Not all BWM is entertaining.

I fully admit to being here primarily for the entertaining cases

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Hearing comments from people returning from holidays in Greece. Apparently your average person hasn't been putting their money in banks due to the crises. The ones who are getting hit badly are the pensioners as the payments are made into bank accounts.

The Greek PM is now telling people to reject the bailout deal at Sunday's referendum.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, there's a whole slew of these "make thousands a month from home while doing NO WORK YOURSELF!"

I'm always amazed at how much effort people are willing to put into NO WORK work.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Friend of a friend on facebook lives in Mountain View, CA and posted about how stunned he is that his rent might go up by $1000 this year at the end of his lease. Some hosed up poo poo, right?

Enter unknown party who then encourages him to take out an FHA, 3.5% down home loan to buy a $650k max house in Mountain View to "stop throwing money away" and "mortgages are cheaper than rent"

If I understand correctly, Mountain View (part of the Silicon Valley) has an extremely inflated housing market right now, and $650k will buy you a condo off the beaten path. Naturally, I said so, and mentioned that being your own landlord and paying PMI have their own costs.

:allears: Apparently I have bought into the banks' scheme to keep us poor and property-less and house prices will only go up from here. It's like 2009 never happened.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mocking Bird posted:

Friend of a friend on facebook lives in Mountain View, CA and posted about how stunned he is that his rent might go up by $1000 this year at the end of his lease. Some hosed up poo poo, right?

Enter unknown party who then encourages him to take out an FHA, 3.5% down home loan to buy a $650k max house in Mountain View to "stop throwing money away" and "mortgages are cheaper than rent"

If I understand correctly, Mountain View (part of the Silicon Valley) has an extremely inflated housing market right now, and $650k will buy you a condo off the beaten path. Naturally, I said so, and mentioned that being your own landlord and paying PMI have their own costs.

:allears: Apparently I have bought into the banks' scheme to keep us poor and property-less and house prices will only go up from here. It's like 2009 never happened.

That really does sound like poo poo and just for a condo?

Largest city in New Zealand has crazy house/apartment prices at the moment. The rest of the country has everyone saying it's a bubble and to be careful. The thing is people are caught up in the greed of it all so rational thinking is out the window. People also can't connect the 17% house price increase with the fact that there's no relation to economic growth or activity just speculation.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
lol, 650k won't buy you poo poo in Mountain View.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Another person came in on the post to defend me ("650k in Mountain View won't buy poo poo! And HOA loans are BS in the Bay!") and then totally went off the rails and advised him to leverage his job to buy homes in lower cost "in-fill" areas like Palm Springs and Las Vegas "to fund the rent in the bay" :raise: Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, become a slum lord for the working class in places you don't live or have immediate access too, or even out of state, and just hope you get some decent tenants who never want anything I guess? Or pay a management company? And hope your rent turns a profit over the cost of management, repairs, and time the house is empty?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Mocking Bird posted:

I bought a 4 br 2 bath in San Jose in 2010, and my monthly mortgage payment of $2,040 is less than a 429 sq ft studio apartment downtown. And San Jose ain't got poo poo on Mountain View rents.

Now is probably the wrong time to buy, though. Wait until all the water runs out and the land will be cheap again.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Now is probably the wrong time to buy, though. Wait until all the water runs out and the land will be cheap again.

Perfect for going Galt and dying of thirst, like those west Texas "can't pass this up" land deals.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mocking Bird posted:

Another person came in on the post to defend me ("650k in Mountain View won't buy poo poo! And HOA loans are BS in the Bay!") and then totally went off the rails and advised him to leverage his job to buy homes in lower cost "in-fill" areas like Palm Springs and Las Vegas "to fund the rent in the bay" :raise: Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, become a slum lord for the working class in places you don't live or have immediate access too, or even out of state, and just hope you get some decent tenants who never want anything I guess? Or pay a management company? And hope your rent turns a profit over the cost of management, repairs, and time the house is empty?

lmao what a nutty loving idea

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
BWM: In-Laws, Chapter 34

My father in law was recently made redundant, at age 70. This was excellent because it gave him a really nice extra lump sum payment to see him into retirement. They have no savings but own their own home, and have an "investment" rental property with a mortgage of $80k. The rental income does not cover the mortgage and they pay about $400/month on top. Their combined superannuation income leaves them $500/month short on their budget (which they won't disclose) before they even consider the $350/month mortgage deficit. They consider several responsible options on how to use the redundancy payment and ultimately decide it's better to blow it all on a trip to Europe. (e: this is the second trip to Europe in 2 years)

Now, a couple of months later, we find that their tenants moved out and my mother-in-law "couldn't be bothered going through the hassle" of getting more tenants, so the rental is untenanted and they're in the hole for mortgage repayments. They finally agree to sell the rental having come to the realisation that they literally cannot pay the mortgage on their superannuation income, even if tenanted. Their children swarm the house armed with tools, paint and waterblasters to get the house looking amazing and ready for sale, though it is still a tired house in a lovely area. We discuss several ways to use the money from the sale to guarantee a small income stream to supplement their superannuation.

Today we find out that they have started planning their next trip to Europe using the funds from the sale, as well as a trip to the UK next year. The current $500/month deficit (or the ~$20k of repair work their own house needs) is not a concern because God will provide.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 3, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tamarillo posted:

Today we find out that they have started planning their next trip to Europe using the funds from the sale, as well as a trip to the UK next year. The current $500/month deficit (or the ~$20k of repair work their own house needs) is not a concern because God will provide.

Doesn't the Bible specifically say not to treat God like that? You know, when Satan was all "Hey Jesus, jump off that building and get God to catch you" and Jesus was all "gently caress you, you're not supposed to tempt God".

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My aunt has no retirement savings to speak of and is over 60. But it's okay because the rapture will occur before she has to retire, you see.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My aunt has no retirement savings to speak of and is over 60. But it's okay because the rapture will occur before she has to retire, you see.

If that happens My first thought will be "I could have afforded to add guacamole to all my burritos after all"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My aunt has no retirement savings to speak of and is over 60.

My dad is in the same boat, though he only just turned 60. It's depressing, to say the least.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Fortunately for her she has recently gotten a decent inheritance to live off of from my grandfather (her father), and he knew how horrible she is with money so her portion of the inheritance is locked down tight in a trust and she only gets a portion of it every year. Of course instead of being thankful she's fortunate enough to have a father who's looking out for her even after death, she attributes it to God and religion. It's infuriating.

My grandfather was a shining beacon of good with money so having a daughter like that upset him greatly.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 4, 2015

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
My dad is just planning to survive off of SS payments with a retirement age of 70. That's something like 2500/month I think.

He'll have no debt and a house though, FWIW. I think it's doable.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My mom is trading a paid off house for a new house requiring unknown dollar amount in renovations, but minimum $300,000, fully funded by mortgage. On a defined benefit pension of $3,000/mo. At age 63.

Also it's too late to change her mind because she already gutted the new house without finalizing the plan or even hiring a contractor and sold her old house. Her plan is to live in my grandma's basement until the house is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm wondering what one can do to an existing house for $300,000.

• Locked thread