Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah... the art in Squirrel Girl isn't bad - it's just... cartoony. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I can never figure out if goons are being ironic about liking Squirrel Girl.

That art is loving dire and the character is standard "plucky wisecracking female protagonist". Suppose the writers know that there is a subsection of people who seem to lap that character up every time it crops up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

It's not cool to post caricatures of people with Downs Syndrome.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

spudsbuckley posted:

It's not cool to post caricatures of people with Downs Syndrome.

The Boys # 41 begs to differ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spudsbuckley posted:

That art is loving dire and the character is standard "plucky wisecracking female protagonist". Suppose the writers know that there is a subsection of people who seem to lap that character up every time it crops up.
I don't know, is this lovely opinion ironic? If not, then why would its opposing lovely opinion be? I read an article the other day saying the age of irony is over, so I guess everyone really is this much of a bitch over how legitimately artistic the loving illustrations of a book about a girl who has adventures with a goddamn squirrel are.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I like it when Squirrel Girl talks to the squirrels. :shobon:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you all asked for this

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Captain Bravo posted:

I like it when Squirrel Girl talks to the squirrels. :shobon:

No see, you're not allowed to like it because the art doesn't look like the art in 95% of all other superhero books. Personal taste isn't actually real you know. You're just wrong.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ghostlight posted:

I would - and not just because I like the Squirrel Girl art - but because I also experience profound schadenfreude from the impotent bitching about it that happens every time USG is brought up.

Ghostlight posted:

I don't know, is this lovely opinion ironic? If not, then why would its opposing lovely opinion be? I read an article the other day saying the age of irony is over, so I guess everyone really is this much of a bitch over how legitimately artistic the loving illustrations of a book about a girl who has adventures with a goddamn squirrel are.

You seem angrier than anyone else here about all this, are you okay? All anyone else has said is they don't like the art, you're the only one actively being hostile and seemingly on the verge of a meltdown over it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Shameless posted:

No see, you're not allowed to like it because the art doesn't look like the art in 95% of all other superhero books. Personal taste isn't actually real you know. You're just wrong.

This is the only thing I can think of for people getting annoyed by the art. You can tell the artist is talented. It's unique, consistent in aesthetic, everyone is on model and you can see the artist's understanding of anatomy. It's just a more cartooned style with different proportions than almost any superhero comic. People are just so used to trying to catch 'bad' superhero art that is trying to look like the usual aesthetic and fails that when they see something that isn't trying to be that they jump to 'bad'. It's fine not to like it, but it's not bad art in a technical sense, and is actually better than a lot of stuff.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey is it okay if I post some funny panels instead of getting mad about people liking a thing I don't/not liking a thing I do?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Practical Demon posted:

This is the only thing I can think of for people getting annoyed by the art. You can tell the artist is talented. It's unique, consistent in aesthetic, everyone is on model and you can see the artist's understanding of anatomy. It's just a more cartooned style with different proportions than almost any superhero comic. People are just so used to trying to catch 'bad' superhero art that is trying to look like the usual aesthetic and fails that when they see something that isn't trying to be that they jump to 'bad'. It's fine not to like it, but it's not bad art in a technical sense, and is actually better than a lot of stuff.

It's great comic-book art. It fits the tone of the book perfectly and yeah, everything you say really. If you don't like it then that's cool but to say it's objectively bad is utterly wrong-headed.

It gets frustrating because it seems a lot of the more vocal comicbook fans aren't actually "comic" fans, they're superhero fans and they have very strict definitions of what a superhero comic should be like. For a lot of these sort of people "not really my thing" never seems to occur to them. It's a superhero comic dammit and I'm a TRU-FAN (tm) and therefore it's impossible for me to not like good superhero comics. I don't like this and therefore it is objectively a bad comic.

Christ, give me more stuff like Squirrel Girl / Bizarro / Dr Fate / Prez / Ms Marvel

Yeah... I've been reading way too many forums and comments sections recently and needed to get that off my chest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

See she beats up all the serious characters isn't it funny! HAHAHAHAHA LAUGH AT THE DECADES OLD GAG OR YOU HATE FUN:argh:

That's been Squirrel Girl's main gag since the character's creation. She beat Dr. Doom and Thanos single-handedly. Even when she was on the Great Lakes Avengers with all the other joke characters, she was the only competent one.

I wish Battleworld had these versions of the characters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well if he'd stop giving away his secrets he wouldnt get beaten so often.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Lurdiak posted:

Even when she was on the Great Lakes Avengers with all the other joke characters, she was the only competent one.

The gently caress? Did you just call Speedball a joke character? He has a cat named Niels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sizone posted:

The gently caress? Did you just call Speedball a joke character? He has a cat named Niels.

Speedball was a New Warrior you idiot.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Lurdiak posted:

Speedball was a New Warrior you idiot.

Have you ever felt the touch of a woman, or a man?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Well if he'd stop giving away his secrets he wouldnt get beaten so often.

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sizone: Hah! Your esoteric comic knowledge is no match for my esoteric comic knowledge!
Lurdiak: Your knowledge is incorrect, my knowledge is supreme!
Sizone: Obviously because you are a virgin, goon sir.

I cannot believe I just read the following exchange in TYOOL 2015. :psyduck:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Captain Bravo posted:

Post funny

also maybe Panels but who knows eh

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I'm conflicted about if this is a "Optimus Prime dies to much" thing, or "Optimus Prime isn't a Headmaster" thing

Of if the fact that Headmaster were a thing is also a joke.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Maybe there could be a rule that anyone who has over twenty posts on this thread without any of them being a funny panel should be banned from posting here.

Meanwhile, courtesy of this blog, I present you King Micah Synn, a Daredevil, uh, villain (maybe):

This sure wasn't written by a guy.

Also, Stark is always drunk

That's what this character certainly isn't.

Character sensation that should be brought back for Battleworld.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

spudsbuckley posted:

I completely, unironically love Squirrel Girl.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If it wasnt for those Goddamn lips I don't think anybody would be saying anything. I'm not a fan of the character but it seems to suit the tone of the book pretty well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sizone posted:

Have you ever felt the touch of a woman, or a man?

That's the saddest post I've ever seen in BSS.

Batman goes into denial when criticized.

Also Superman has huge hand powers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Anora posted:

I'm conflicted about if this is a "Optimus Prime dies to much" thing, or "Optimus Prime isn't a Headmaster" thing

It wasn't Optimus Prime, it was a mindless, fake Optimus Prime head under Shockwave's control until Optimus Prime's actual head got back into range! :eng101:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I completely, unironically love Squirrel Girl.

Squirrel Girl has Galactus calling Thanos a tool. If you don't think that's great then you're probably dead inside.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Someone posting the nightmare-inducing silver-age squirrel girl reminded me of this!

Seriously, how can you not like this comic? :allears:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anora posted:

Considering that Optimus is a combiner in Combiner Wars, I wouldn't be surprised if they make him a Headmaster too next year if the rumors that Headmaster Blaster and Astrotrain along with a new Fort Max are true.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kelly Sue Deconnick has been putting adverts in the back of Bitch Planet.

Bitch Planet 4

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Batman Adventures Holiday Special

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sentinel Red posted:

You seem angrier than anyone else here about all this, are you okay? All anyone else has said is they don't like the art, you're the only one actively being hostile and seemingly on the verge of a meltdown over it.
Haha yeah let me get my blood thinners out because man you can tell I am totally steamed up about this poo poo from that sentence where I said I was enjoying it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Spicy Cinnamon Taco would be a good SA forum name.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's getting the lyrics all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ&t=12s

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are we back on sonic again?

From OP:

Saoshyant posted:

Here's the latest installment of the Funny Panels thread. Post any panels that are funny -- intentionally or not.

:siren:Three rules:siren::
  • Don't derail with retarded arguments or discussion that should go elsewhere; four posts in a row without a single funny panel is bad
  • Source your panels as much as possible
  • Avoid Sonic and bad webcomics

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

Are we back on sonic again?

are we still arguing about squirrel girl?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Bravo posted:

Sizone: Hah! Your esoteric comic knowledge is no match for my esoteric comic knowledge!
Lurdiak: Your knowledge is incorrect, my knowledge is supreme!
Sizone: Obviously because you are a virgin, goon sir.

Man, way to take frivolous joking about a c-list character seriously. I guess that's what I should expect from someone who thinks 1990 is "silver age".

The villain I want to see more of, Young Nastyman. Marvel/Miracleman something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still really want this shirt.