Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

-Troika- posted:

It's more like a bunch of people are insanely care mad a cop didn't die, regardless of circumstances.

Try harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

-Troika- posted:

It's more like a bunch of people are insanely care mad a cop didn't die, regardless of circumstances.

I'm just so insanely care mad a cop didn't die!

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

semper wifi posted:

It's the exact same thought process, dude. Had the cops reacted like they normally did and hosed the guy up, nobody would be surprised or feel sorry for him because he was resisting arrest and was a crazy murderer. Similarly, when someone who's obviously under arrest for some also-obvious thing resists and ends up getting their rear end kicked, I and many other people have very limited sympathy for them. It just happens that in the first case, the cops had a few reasons to balk at doing what needed to be done.

But there is a gigantic middle ground between the responses, it's not like the only two choices are kid gloves or beating the poo poo of someone. And I specifically mentioned people who hadn't actually done anything and I'll include people who have done extremely minor things like flashing a headlight. Like in the video I mentioned, white guy and black guy doing the exact same 100% legal thing yet the black guy has guns drawn on him the second they get out of the car.

I'm 99% pacifist, the 1% is I will accept violent acts including killing someone in the defense of another's life. I would not celebrate sarges death but I would accept it as necessary, he was or had already murdered his ex wife. If they had the option to take him down without killing him I'd prefer if but I would accept it if it was the only way to get the wife medical attention. Nearly everyone's beef is EVERYONE should get that treatment. Not immediately complying is no reason to tackle or taze and often end up killing someone. Yeah sometimes it may require that eventually but all people are saying is calm the gently caress down, TALK to them like an adult instead of a grown up Eric Cartman. A lot of people do actually respond to a calm discussion, few people react well to being screamed at by a guy pointing a gun at you especially if they haven't or honestly believe they've done nothing wrong. And sometimes they may react without thinking, is it so hard to believe that if someone thinks their life is in danger they may not react rationally and do something stupid like run or knock the gun away? People are falling over themselves to defend cops who had to make a snap decision that ended up killing someone, why do only cops get a pass? Hell they're supposedly trained to not lose their cool, people can gently caress up too and do something stupid when they're scared, maybe don't freak them the gently caress out because they didn't 'comply' fast enough and they won't do something stupid?

I'll stop being a dick, I honestly want to know if you think any of what I just said is unreasonable.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

I'm just so insanely care mad a cop didn't die!

Good shoot.

Why does a cop need to die?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

He might not have been fired because of the video specifically, but the video was reviewed and undoubtedly used as evidence against him for the firing, along with the rest of his history of assholery.

Yeah it is just another way of being dismissive. There is literally no reason to be against the cameras. The cameras protect cops too. In fact, I would even be willing to believe that the cameras could help cops more than they help everyone else.

This literal, entire thread is cops on tape getting away with murder. That won't be solved by some fake bullshit artifice of accountability that will be freely ignored by the police any time the stakes are higher than just getting rid of some shithead no one wanted around anyway. Like there are a whole shitload of civil rights groups right this second saying "Hey maybe don't use those cameras for surveillance okay?". What do you think the odds are that they're going to be heard?

The reason to be against these things is that they are facing the wrong direction.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Honestly what other reason to be against body cameras could anyone need other than the fact that the Obama Whitehouse supports them? These people do not care about you, or the victims of police brutality anywhere.

It's just loving Tasers all over again. Oh surely this half-step middleground bullshit will improve the quality of policing and save innocent lives and after all our hero cops definitely, definitely wouldn't abuse the poo poo out of this terrifying new technology and completely pervert the reason behind having it to begin with. I hope you didn't like going outside ever in a city like Ferguson, where bench warrants were grossly abused to vacuum every last penny from the pockets of the already struggling poor because boy oh boy is that poo poo going to be 10 times more fun for cops in the very, very near future when the loving cameras stream to some facial recognition software in real time.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
To get more support from cops, government should make it explicitly clear that police wearing bodycams are allowed to upload funny clips from the day's patrol on youtube/worldstar.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Woozy posted:

This literal, entire thread is cops on tape getting away with murder. That won't be solved by some fake bullshit artifice of accountability that will be freely ignored by the police any time the stakes are higher than just getting rid of some shithead no one wanted around anyway. Like there are a whole shitload of civil rights groups right this second saying "Hey maybe don't use those cameras for surveillance okay?". What do you think the odds are that they're going to be heard?

The reason to be against these things is that they are facing the wrong direction.

I'm not really sure how police body cameras are going to be a significant extension of the surveillance network when they are attached to a police officer's body and thus only recording things that a police officer would already have been witness to. Are you vehemently opposed to dashboard cameras as well?

Woozy posted:

Honestly what other reason to be against body cameras could anyone need other than the fact that the Obama Whitehouse supports them? These people do not care about you, or the victims of police brutality anywhere.

It's just loving Tasers all over again. Oh surely this half-step middleground bullshit will improve the quality of policing and save innocent lives and after all our hero cops definitely, definitely wouldn't abuse the poo poo out of this terrifying new technology and completely pervert the reason behind having it to begin with. I hope you didn't like going outside ever in a city like Ferguson, where bench warrants were grossly abused to vacuum every last penny from the pockets of the already struggling poor because boy oh boy is that poo poo going to be 10 times more fun for cops in the very, very near future when the loving cameras stream to some facial recognition software in real time.

This is invective and wild hypotheticals, not an argument.

The fundamental issue isn't the abilities the police have, the problem is that they're being used for corrupt purposes. You solve that by addressing the root cause of the corruption, not pushing to make your police force ineffectual.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's important to remember that Ferguson isn't the whole United States.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I'm not really sure how police body cameras are going to be a significant extension of the surveillance network when they are attached to a police officer's body and thus only recording things that a police officer would already have been witness to. Are you vehemently opposed to dashboard cameras as well?

"Being witness to" and "making an electronic record of" are two obviously different things. Electronic records need to be stored, secured, and audited for access. Basic technical competence is like the least scary reason this shouldn't be left in the hands of police or basically anyone involved in criminal justice. Even worse is that they can be manipulated, edited, altered, and doctored. Again, not something you should trust the police not to do. Dashboard cameras are a great example of why this "accountability" story is horseshit: guess how many illegal stops have been recorded by dashboard cameras? Probably a shitload but you'll never know because the cameras don't start rolling until after the sirens come on so who knows whether that "illegal lane change" actually took place. Of course, right now it makes sense to compare body cams and dash cams, but it won't be long at all before they work more like plate scanners: a massive digital dragnet creating huge stores of pointless information just waiting for someone to find something terrible to do with it. Of course we can't even talk about this in terms of acceptable risk because there is no loving benefit whatsoever. Cops will either turn the cameras off or they won't bother and get away with whatever they did anyway.

quote:

This is invective and wild hypotheticals, not an argument.

The fundamental issue isn't the abilities the police have, the problem is that they're being used for corrupt purposes. You solve that by addressing the root cause of the corruption, not pushing to make your police force ineffectual.

Go on, tell us all why its a good idea to continue to expand on the capabilities of police while the issue of corruption goes unsolved or even mentioned. We'll just get to it some day, right?

Oh wait, it doesn't matter, because just like "community policing" and every feel-good reformist measure that achieves nothing, body cameras are 100% about white liberals volunteering communities they have nothing to do with to be subject to increased scrutiny and surveillance in the name of their own "protection". The fundamental problem here is the constant ramping up of police occupation and insinuation into communities where their history of brutality and violence have made them largely unwelcome. Figure out how to deal with that before you run off and buy the loving cops a bunch of new toys.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Woozy posted:

Go on, tell us all why its a good idea to continue to expand on the capabilities of police while the issue of corruption goes unsolved or even mentioned. We'll just get to it some day, right?

You do realize the status quo is "if there's no video we believe the cop's version 100% no matter what" right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
There's ample research now showing they reduce violence and abuse. That alone justifies their use. And, whiny posturing not withstanding, they help shift public opinion, which is useful to anyone seeking change.

Lemming posted:

You do realize the status quo is "if there's no video we believe the cop's version 100% no matter what" right?
Counter-argument: Ahh! Ahh! Ahhh!

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Lemming posted:

poo poo, the status quo is believe the cop if the video isn't 100% clear like the cop who dropped his tazer on the body of the guy he murdered. The headlight kid there was 1-2 frames of blurry video of him maybe running. You don't see the cop in it and the phone had obviously been knocked around so he was either running AWAY or some bizarre theory that a teenager was charging the cop. The one or two frames of video don't show either but the second there was a split second of video of the kid running apologists instantly jumped on it as evidence he was running at the cop.

It doesn't even pass the laugh test. Teenagers are well known for their stupidity but seriously thinking the obvious deduction of that split second video is he was not trying run but attacking the cop?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought in that situation it wasnt the video that people were using as evidence he attacked the cop but that his face looked like he'd gotten a kicking.

Edit: I also thought it was widely accepted that the kid had charged the cop in this case and started giving him a beating? The debate over this wasn't about that, but how inept the officer was in allowing the situation to not only get to that, but how he allowed a teenager who was on the ground being tazed to then be kicking his rear end.

Has that changed since the last time it was brought up?

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 3, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, I mean say what you will about the officer's actions that led up to that point, I was under the impression any question about whether the officer was actually attacked was squashed when the hospital photos came in. That's when the thread defense shifted from "You can't tell what's happening in the video" to "Fight or Flight reflex" or "He was scared for his life and lashed out."

You're a few dozen pages behind on the discussion, friend. :v:

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Yup, exactly what I was talking about. Note I didn't say nothing happened, only that a 2 second blurry video of what looked like the kid moving before any other information came out was "video clearly show he attacked him".

Here's a totally wild theory. Cop got hit in the face before that split second clip when he was fighting after the tazing and was trying to run. Video doesn't prove me wrong or right because all it shows is him moving. Could be him going for the cop, could be him running away. But it doesn't matter to cop defenders that the video showed nothing conclusive either way and the conclusion was made before any other information was released that it was him attacking the cop because it supports the cops story.

My point is the video doesn't prove anything besides the kid was possibly running, it doesn't show when the cop got hit or if the kid was running towards or away from the cop. That doesn't matter to apologists, cop got hit, video showed movement so we can now use it as proof to support the cops story.

Which since this thread now requires repeating things a dozen times: My point was unless the video is 100% clear that the cop was at fault it can now be used as proof to support the cops story despite it not showing anything besides kid moving. It doesn't show when the cop got hit it doesn't show which direction the kid was moving so it doesn't prove anything for either story but that doesn't stop anyone from using it as evidence to support the cops version. It doesn't prove it disprove it but it's still held up as supporting the cops version despite it not supporting anything beyond 'kid was moving'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think in that situation it isn't useful, but I would much rather have police officers wearing cameras than not since theres a demonstrable effect that when people know they're under surveillance they behave differently. If anything, it raises the chances of prosecutions against officers for abusing their positions.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

on the left posted:

To get more support from cops, government should make it explicitly clear that police wearing bodycams are allowed to upload funny clips from the day's patrol on youtube/worldstar.

Maybe we need a phone app that automatically starts recording whenever a cop is near.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Another question is, where is the dash cam footage, and if there is none, why didn't the cop position his car to better see the other car? It looks like he pulled the kid next to the kid's car, so that should have been in the view of the dash cam.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Stay classy, Baltimore PD

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/03/us/baltimore-police-van-sign/index.html

quote:

CNN affiliate WBAL reported that the photos were taken Tuesday near the Central District Police Station. It said police department officials had authenticated the photos, which it received from a viewer.

Baltimore City Paper reported that it had spoken to the photographer, who asked not to be identified by name. She sent the newspaper an original version of a photo of the sign from her phone, it said.
Probably a smart idea to keep your identity secret.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
http://copybook-headings.tumblr.com/post/123224027879/just-to-be-clear-in-re-the-brutal-killing-of

quote:

A few days ago, an innocent young woman was randomly shot and killed on Pier 14 on the Embarcadero in San Francisco while hosting her parents for a visit. Her last words as she died from the gunshot were “Daddy, help me.”

Her killer, Francisco Sanchez, was a multiple felon and illegal immigrant, whom ICE had deported five times. SFPD had, prior to the shooting, arrested Sanchez on a minor drug charge, and then released him on his own recognizance (Sanchez is mentally ill and homeless). ICE had previously requested to the SFPD that Sanchez be either detained after his lawful release from his drug charge, or that SFPD notify ICE of his release, so that ICE could pick him up for his 6th deportation. Because SF’s official policy amounts to “no human is illegal” hokum–“a law enforcement official shall not detain an individual on the basis of a civil immigration detainer after that individual becomes eligible for release from custody”–Sanchez was neither detained, nor was ICE notified.

Shortly after Sanchez’s release, he found a gun and killed Steinle.

This incident, of course, has far deeper policy implications than the Dylann Roof shooting, as in this case, immigration policy, both federal and local, are close to the proximate cause of this killing. There’s also basically no media discussion about it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/NBC-Bay-Area-News-Crew-Mugged-Pistol-Whipped-at-San-Francisco-Pier-311452221.html

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hrmm yes, the issue is obviously with our immigration policies and not with the fact that a mentally ill homeless man can just "find" a gun. :downs:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
MS-13 killer PANCHO SANCHEZ *twitches huge black mustache*

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Merdifex posted:

"no human is illegal" hokum

I think it's more that the SFPD realize that acting as an enforcement arm of ICE would make it more difficult to do their jobs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think it's more that the SFPD realize that acting as an enforcement arm of ICE would make it more difficult to do their jobs.

Pft, it's not like the immigration services do anything to keep criminals out once they get deported anyways. :negative:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Woozy posted:

"Being witness to" and "making an electronic record of" are two obviously different things. Electronic records need to be stored, secured, and audited for access. Basic technical competence is like the least scary reason this shouldn't be left in the hands of police or basically anyone involved in criminal justice. Even worse is that they can be manipulated, edited, altered, and doctored. Again, not something you should trust the police not to do. Dashboard cameras are a great example of why this "accountability" story is horseshit: guess how many illegal stops have been recorded by dashboard cameras? Probably a shitload but you'll never know because the cameras don't start rolling until after the sirens come on so who knows whether that "illegal lane change" actually took place. Of course, right now it makes sense to compare body cams and dash cams, but it won't be long at all before they work more like plate scanners: a massive digital dragnet creating huge stores of pointless information just waiting for someone to find something terrible to do with it. Of course we can't even talk about this in terms of acceptable risk because there is no loving benefit whatsoever. Cops will either turn the cameras off or they won't bother and get away with whatever they did anyway.

Oh wait, it doesn't matter, because just like "community policing" and every feel-good reformist measure that achieves nothing, body cameras are 100% about white liberals volunteering communities they have nothing to do with to be subject to increased scrutiny and surveillance in the name of their own "protection". The fundamental problem here is the constant ramping up of police occupation and insinuation into communities where their history of brutality and violence have made them largely unwelcome. Figure out how to deal with that before you run off and buy the loving cops a bunch of new toys.
Certainly there are some, but there are other cases where the dashcam does completely exonerate the defendant.
I had a client who the cop and his partner swore up and down said x. X was a very bad thing for us. Middle of trial, we got the entire dashcam with audio, never said it. Case dismissed.
This is one of many examples that I can point to as a defense attorney where video or audio recording have cleared someone falsely accused. Your slippery slope is bullshit. Yes, some poo poo is going to get hidden, but some will not (particularly on systems where a cop cannot delete or deactivate systems), and for those people xameras may have literally saved them from wrongful conviction.

PS -- Officers still working because of course they are. But my client is at least free as well.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

Certainly there are some, but there are other cases where the dashcam does completely exonerate the defendant.
I had a client who the cop and his partner swore up and down said x. X was a very bad thing for us. Middle of trial, we got the entire dashcam with audio, never said it. Case dismissed.
This is one of many examples that I can point to as a defense attorney where video or audio recording have cleared someone falsely accused. Your slippery slope is bullshit. Yes, some poo poo is going to get hidden, but some will not (particularly on systems where a cop cannot delete or deactivate systems), and for those people xameras may have literally saved them from wrongful conviction.

PS -- Officers still working because of course they are. But my client is at least free as well.

I can tell you right now I would NOT want to be the one stuck arguing that the mysteriously deleted portions of the dashcam were nothing to worry about. Even if it was a truly innocent deletion. Looks shady as gently caress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

I can tell you right now I would NOT want to be the one stuck arguing that the mysteriously deleted portions of the dashcam were nothing to worry about. Even if it was a truly innocent deletion. Looks shady as gently caress.

Yes, this happened in my case. It was pretty clear that it was investigating agency shadiness -- well, until they told the prosecutor before opening and he held on to it until I called my client to the stand. brady violation found, nothing happened until we spend a whole drat day in court listening to the the drat thing as the jury sat outside confused.
Oh yeah, nothing actually happened to the DA for that intentional, admitted on the record, brady violation (the last 24 hours). This case was the last straw for me and why I just can't stand criminal defense anymore. No matter how dirty the state is, they get away with it here. Hell, DAs who fabricate evidence apparently get promoted.
Let's be clear, a DA hid evidence that showed that both eyewitness officers lied, wasted the court and the jury's time, and nothing at all happened to him. Yay.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

nm posted:

Yes, this happened in my case. It was pretty clear that it was investigating agency shadiness -- well, until they told the prosecutor before opening and he held on to it until I called my client to the stand. brady violation found, nothing happened until we spend a whole drat day in court listening to the the drat thing as the jury sat outside confused.
Oh yeah, nothing actually happened to the DA for that intentional, admitted on the record, brady violation (the last 24 hours). This case was the last straw for me and why I just can't stand criminal defense anymore. No matter how dirty the state is, they get away with it here. Hell, DAs who fabricate evidence apparently get promoted.
Let's be clear, a DA hid evidence that showed that both eyewitness officers lied, wasted the court and the jury's time, and nothing at all happened to him. Yay.

No but you don't understand, the DA knows cops so it's totally reasonable to lie for them. You're a sociopath for not empathizing with the real victim here.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
An older good one relevant to the legal system protecting police

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...c3d021affa.html

quote:

Prosecutors allege it shows Bruce hitting the teen unprompted. Bruce’s attorney, Joe Hogan, planned to argue it showed his client reacting in self-defense when the teen lunged at him, after earlier trying to turn a gun on Bruce’s partner, Jacob Fowler.

But the video never made it into evidence because the law required prosecutors to authenticate it with someone who had personal knowledge of the events. Bruce refused to testify against himself, on the same constitutional grounds as the teen.

Hopefully that law has been revised to clarify it doesn't apply to abuse by the only ones able to attest to the video. I guess his partner was forgetful too about what happened in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPj9GiiKk0&t=201s

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Devor posted:

Hopefully that law has been revised to clarify it doesn't apply to abuse by the only ones able to attest to the video. I guess his partner was forgetful too about what happened in the video.

Did you read the rest of the article?

quote:

Prosecutors had also tried, but failed, to get the teenager on the stand. First they couldn’t find him, then when they did, he asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
That left Fowler, who claimed the same but was forced to testify after prosecutors granted him immunity from charges and obtained a last minute order from another judge.

When Fowler viewed the footage, he testified it differed from his recollection of events. Burke ruled he thus couldn’t authenticate it. That left only the testimony of a few police employees, who couldn’t say much because of hearsay rules.

The decision on the video brought the complicated case to an abrupt end. “Not guilty,” announced Burke.

Bruce and Fowler, both probationary officers, were fired after the incident.
Since it's really hard to compel testimony, and making it possible to demand self incrimination or allowing the prosecution to introduce unverified video evidence are both Really Bad Ideas, it's not surprising that a case where the victim refuses to testify sputtered out. The result has nothing to do with the fact that the accused was a cop. Since administrative remidies don't have the same burden of proof, both officers lost their jobs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Since it's really hard to compel testimony, and making it possible to demand self incrimination or allowing the prosecution to introduce unverified video evidence are both Really Bad Ideas, it's not surprising that a case where the victim refuses to testify sputtered out. The result has nothing to do with the fact that the accused was a cop. Since administrative remidies don't have the same burden of proof, both officers lost their jobs.

Let's say the victim dies in police custody (as is often the case, especially considering punching someone in the head will sometimes outright kill them). Does the law really say that if the cops in the video say "I dunno" it can't be used as evidence of what happened? Am I missing something here?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

Minor semantics issue, that's not a Brady issue, it's a late disclosure issue. Still hosed up though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why is introducing unverified video evidence a bad idea? Should we let non-cops, too, veto the introduction of video evidence? No, that video that shows my brother standing next to me pointing a gun at the convenience store clerk, and then shooting him in the head does not accurately reflect what happened Case dismissed!

It's great that the cops were fired, but if the judge was correctly applying the law, the law needs to be changed to always allow introduction of dash cams and body cams from police as evidence. Even if there's another cop who is willing to trash his career to keep his buddy out of prison by lying about the video.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Devor posted:

Why is introducing unverified video evidence a bad idea? Should we let non-cops, too, veto the introduction of video evidence? No, that video that shows my brother standing next to me pointing a gun at the convenience store clerk, and then shooting him in the head does not accurately reflect what happened Case dismissed!

It's great that the cops were fired, but if the judge was correctly applying the law, the law needs to be changed to always allow introduction of dash cams and body cams from police as evidence. Even if there's another cop who is willing to trash his career to keep his buddy out of prison by lying about the video.

The general "John Q" public has always given law cops the "benefit of the doubt". This is because they never have an interaction with them, sans a traffic incident.
We seem to be seeing an erosion of this trust. The large number of videos of "cops gone wild" are starting to have an effect.
What evidence to include, and what to throw out, is all part of legal system "reindeer games", and has very little to do with the truth of what happened. Lady justice is blindfolded and doesn't want to see the truth, only the parts you can push though the legal process. Both sides of any case play this game, so it comes down to who has the legal team with the most /best resources. This tilts the law in favor of the wealthy over the state and the state over the poor.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Devor posted:

I any case you need a witness to lay foundation/authenticate a video or photos. It's a basic rule of evidence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Devor posted:

It's to prevent, say, Orange County prosecutors from introducing evidence to the effect of, "This blurry and undated video shows the defendant shooting the victim. No, we don't have anyone who will verify that it is what we say it is."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ActusRhesus posted:

I any case you need a witness to lay foundation/authenticate a video or photos. It's a basic rule of evidence.

Does the foundation/authentication necessarily have to come from a subject in the video? It seems like the video technician responsible for retrieving the information from the system would be able to provide that, for cases where the subjects are hostile and/or accused of the crime in question.

What would happen in the case of a lone gunmen murdering a convenience store clerk? Would the store footage not be admissible at trial, and only used for investigative purposes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Devor posted:

Does the foundation/authentication necessarily have to come from a subject in the video? It seems like the video technician responsible for retrieving the information from the system would be able to provide that, for cases where the subjects are hostile and/or accused of the crime in question.

What would happen in the case of a lone gunmen murdering a convenience store clerk? Would the store footage not be admissible at trial, and only used for investigative purposes?

It could be but the defense could rip it to shreds. The technician could only testify that he removed the tape from the player and such and such time, but theres no timestamp on the tape and the resolution is low enough that its not 100% clear who everybody in the tape is. So it might not be the incident in question with the same people involved. That would imply that this department had an epidemic of cops punching teens but thats all the defense needs to do to raise reasonable doubt.

Now in a civil suit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Minor semantics issue, that's not a Brady issue, it's a late disclosure issue. Still hosed up though.

It is a brady issue when exculpatory evidence is hidden from the defense during the cross-examining of the officers it impeaches.

• Locked thread