Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea until these recent posts that anyone considered that episode a weak one. It's my least favourite of the three Christmas episodes, but it's still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Season 1's Christmas episode is definitely the best one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spacebump posted:

Fundamentals of Flight is also amazing.

I thought you'd completely made up this episode until I searched for it, they changed the name to Basic Rocket Science.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MrAristocrates posted:

I thought you'd completely made up this episode until I searched for it, they changed the name to Basic Rocket Science.

Wait, what? Why?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

swickles posted:

Wait, what? Why?

They apparently used the old name in the iTunes store, I don't know why they changed it in the first place though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not like they changed it after the episode aired, that was the name in the scripting stage and then iTunes also has it accidentally.

e: also wiki tells me that episode received mixed critical reviews. nuts! it is excellent

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I was pretty dumbfounded that episode got such a "meh" reaction. I'd place it in my top 20.

"Oh...no, wait it's a sticker." :geno:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't like it very much. I thought the "it's a KFC space shuttle simulator, but they act like it's real!" bit was kind of predictable and not executed that well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In It For The Tank posted:

Season 1's Christmas episode is definitely the best one.

If you're trying to be menacing, maybe don't call the cookie by its name.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That whole episode was worth it just for the space shuttle simulator simulator.

"It's like I'm in a real space shuttle simulator!"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That's the first time we got the butthole flag too isn't it?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

bobjr posted:

That's the first time we got the butthole flag too isn't it?

And later in the season finale, we get the City College flag gag, which I caught only after the third viewing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Bown posted:

e: also wiki tells me that episode received mixed critical reviews. nuts! it is excellent

I thought it was funny ("those aren't thumbs...") but its story was a little strange. They had to contrive Annie's "betrayal" and it felt like they were dialling back on her character growth from the Season 1 finale. Every time I watch that episode, it always strikes me how forced it feels.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Yeah, it's mostly a good episode. The jokes are solid. But the "Annie is going to leave Greendale" and "Troy and Abed's friendship is falling apart" stories were always incredibly forced and unconvincing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I love that episode. It's the first episode I saw that made me fall in love with the show.

Context, I remember watching the first episode and not really caring for it. I was a) A dumb teenager, and b)Annoyed with the commercials asking 'Where did Chevy Chase go? To Community College!'. So I watched it, was thoroughly unimpressed, wished the show to get a swift and just cancellation. Cue about a year latter when I hear rumblings of the show actually being decent and actually fairly self-aware. So the night 'Basic Rocket Science' comes on, I tune in to watch it. Cue the most tumultuous relationship with a show I've ever had.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I got to visit the set when they were filming the KFC episode. I will always have a place in my heart for it. Even though I didn't get a clear picture of Alison Brie dancing on the foosball table.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Basic rocket science is a Community staple. One of the funniest episodes in the series, imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Vader posted:

I got to visit the set when they were filming the KFC episode. I will always have a place in my heart for it. Even though I didn't get a clear picture of Alison Brie dancing on the foosball table.

That's cool. My friend visited the set during the season 3 documentary episode, but I had to point out to him that Chase was wearing the same shirt in the episode as in the picture they took together when it aired.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The schmitties were loving great. You guys suck.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The schmitties were loving great. You guys suck.

Are these the really annoying highschool kids? Cause I've never made it through that episode a second time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hated that plot, then really liked it, then the last time I saw it disliked it again. But the other storylines in the episode are great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They made us put pretzels in our butts. I put mustard on mine like an idiot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh nope wait. I just remembered the delivery of "Can't all us little Schmitties get along?"

Great storyline. I think it's just the climax that's lame. Up there with Magnitude vs Leonard as one of those Community jokes that genuinely appears to think it's clever while just being the least subtle thing ever

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Why are Jeff and Britta making fun of those handicapped kids?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bown posted:

I hated that plot, then really liked it, then the last time I saw it disliked it again. But the other storylines in the episode are great.

If Jeff had actually managed to sleep with the mom, I think I would like it more -- that seemed like a funny direction to be going in.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I remember a lot of people didn't like how many concept episodes season 2 had (and the corresponding lack of more grounded episodes), which was part of the reason for the backlash on Something Awful against Basic Rocket Science and one of my personal favorites, Epidemiology.

For me, season 2 is probably the best of the series, even though it wasn't as consistent as the first.

bowser fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 4, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

prefect posted:

If Jeff had actually managed to sleep with the mom, I think I would like it more -- that seemed like a funny direction to be going in.

Jeff Winger
Banged Mark's mom. Twice.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

prefect posted:

Didn't he? I thought he slept with her, then everyone pointed out how it makes him look worse than the kid.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't he? I thought he slept with her, then everyone pointed out how it makes him look worse than the kid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

I remember a lot of people didn't like how many concept episodes season 2 had (and the corresponding lack of more grounded episodes), which was part of the reason for the backlash on Something Awful against Basic Rocket Science and one of my personal favorites, Epidemiology.

For me, season 2 is probably the best of the series, even though it wasn't as consistent as the first.

Oh yeah, I remember there was a huge worry the show was going to go full hog into the Modern Warfare-esque episodes and it would ruin the element that made that one so good and surprising. Then they did exactly that and.....it elevated the show to a new level. But I was definitely a little suspicious. I love all the early s2 episodes now (well I'm still not that into Epidemiology) but initially it took until about the conspiracy theories episode for me to be fully on board.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Dr_Amazing posted:

That whole episode was worth it just for the space shuttle simulator simulator.

"It's like I'm in a real space shuttle simulator!"

"Hard to believe I'm not really not really in space!"

Classic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
"We submitted that anonymously whoops!"

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Epidemiology is the best Halloween episode.

"A gallon of whole milk...not for drinking."

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Thrusters?
Full.
Turbo shield?
On.
Navigation?
Three.
Chicken?
Yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still can't get over the name "Eleven Herbs & Space Experience."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be shocked if the whole KFC thing came from that one line.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's "usted", dude. Even I know that!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I rewatched that one last night. Mike is so great :allears:

Knock knock...My fist up your balls!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Brawnfire posted:

It's "usted", dude. Even I know that!

Because while both are dirty, neither are my friends.

Different episode, I know.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I rewatched that one last night. Mike is so great :allears:

Knock knock...My fist up your balls!

It's not a quote, but my favorite part of that episode is when he staples the snowman to his forehead. The frantic headshake he does to show it's really stapled there still makes me laugh as hard as it did the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Because while both are dirty, neither are my friends.

Different episode, I know.

It's not a quote, but my favorite part of that episode is when he staples the snowman to his forehead. The frantic headshake he does to show it's really stapled there still makes me laugh as hard as it did the first time.

HOLY CRAP, yeah, the staple and shake kills me. It's like the Big Bad who stabs himself with your knife and laughs, but silly.

• Locked thread