Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The 4.7 isn't perfect but if you treat it with any respect at all (also known as "like any engine that is not a 4.0") it should be fine. The 545RFE they get is definitely a better transmission than the 42RE. V8s also get a beefier rear end (D44a vs D35). Quadradrive (factory limited slip front and rear axles) is more common on V8s too. My WJ was an absolute beast in the snow the one time we got it up in northern AZ on new year's.

I've had mine for just under a year now and its been fairly trouble free. I did have to fix the blend doors, but the " cut a hole" method to access them makes it a very straightforward job.

With that said, if he just wants AWD there are probably better options. The WK is arguably better in every way that isn't articulation-dependent offroading (IFS).

This is all accurate though I reserve judgement on the 4.7 valveseat issue.

Aim for a varilok equipped one, 02.5 and later with TUPY visible through the oil fill cap, OR a 4.7 high output. IIRC the high output one is a bit of an improvement over the regular 4.7. The varilok isn't really an LSD so much as a magic device, it somehow uses diff oil pressure and forces the clutches into action instead of just a spring, and allegedly works really well. Well enough that I looked into swapping one into an XJ/MJ d30 briefly.

Then put blizzaks or whatever badass snows an alaskan loves on it and have a blast.

E: wtf this phone's idea of how to respond to the backspace key is cracked the gently caress out

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Oh poo poo I completely forgot about that. Going canoeing with the wife tomorrow morning but maybe I can convince her to go afterwards.

Also just watched a whale tail 911 trundle down the road and it was gorgeous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Girlfriend had a huge fight with her best friend (i think her husband cheated on her) and she kind of took it out on me. I get it, she's upset but I'm having a few issues with work (my boss is letting his faith dictate certain things and it's driving me CRAZY) and I just didn't want to deal with it today.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I just point out some insanity I saw the other day? Mercedes-Benz has a tiny Mercedes logo stamped onto their battery terminals.

Apparently we also started stocking intake manifolds for the newer Ford V8s. They're plastic, crack easily, and do so enough that it's actually a fiscally good decision for an auto parts store to stock them instead of having them only at regional hubs. Who knew :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Girlfriend had a huge fight with her best friend (i think her husband cheated on her) and she kind of took it out on me. I get it, she's upset but I'm having a few issues with work (my boss is letting his faith dictate certain things and it's driving me CRAZY) and I just didn't want to deal with it today.

This is the time where I kinda glaze over... Mumble uh huh, and think about how to fuel inject a small engine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is the time where I kinda glaze over... Mumble uh huh, and think about how to fuel inject a small engine.

I was thinking about if I should buy the b2200 or a Protege5 and if it should be manual or auto.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I was thinking about if I should buy the b2200 or a Protege5 and if it should be manual or auto.

They just wanna rant. Let em rant, I find it excellent project planning time.

B2200. Do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

B2200. Do it.

It's like an hour away, havn't had the free time to go check it out. I should buy an auto for ease of use, with her refusal to learn standard another stick might not be welcome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

This is all accurate though I reserve judgement on the 4.7 valveseat issue.

Aim for a varilok equipped one, 02.5 and later with TUPY visible through the oil fill cap, OR a 4.7 high output. IIRC the high output one is a bit of an improvement over the regular 4.7. The varilok isn't really an LSD so much as a magic device, it somehow uses diff oil pressure and forces the clutches into action instead of just a spring, and allegedly works really well. Well enough that I looked into swapping one into an XJ/MJ d30 briefly.

Never test-drove a regular 4.7, but the 4.7HO does scoot reasonably well. I'm plenty paranoid about the valveseat issue, but at the same time I can't afford to rip the heads off and fix it preemptively when it might not ever happen in the time I own it. It certainly happens more often than it should, but a look at CL says most of them still get to 180-200k miles anyway. At the mileage I'm putting on it and about how often I trade vehicles around, I'll either be ready to sell it or have already sold it at around that 180k mark.

I'm a huge fan of the Variloks, and I even like the NV247 for that matter. They're both drat near seamless in terms of locking up the axle / sending power forward. The only thing to remember when wheeling with them is that because it relies on hydraulic pressure generated by a difference in wheel speed, you do have to give it some POWAAAAA before they lock up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

It's like an hour away, havn't had the free time to go check it out. I should buy an auto for ease of use, with her refusal to learn standard another stick might not be welcome.

Good point.

I shouldn't say I completely gloss over. I am semi active in the conversation, but my wife doesn't want me to fix things, so I learned to just listen, engage when needed and life is pretty good.

I still would like to fuel inject a small engine. It'll give me something to so.

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Just a reminder for Seattle area goons the vintage races start tomorrow at Pacific Raceways. I'll be there bright and early with my four year :)

I will be there volunteering at the BMW CCA kiosk and watching the races. :toot:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

B2200. Do it.

Aye. Ladies just want to be heard/given a chance to vent. Men hear a problem and want to solve it, but it's frustrating because so many :words: and advice is often unheeded. I have a bit of a man brain in that respect and try to remember that whenever female acquaintances are unloading about something. For the most part, my mind is scrolling DOES NOT COMPUTE Terminator-style and I feel all :psylon:.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I just point out some insanity I saw the other day? Mercedes-Benz has a tiny Mercedes logo stamped onto their battery terminals.

Apparently we also started stocking intake manifolds for the newer Ford V8s. They're plastic, crack easily, and do so enough that it's actually a fiscally good decision for an auto parts store to stock them instead of having them only at regional hubs. Who knew :v:

Merc plaster their logo on all their proprietary bits.

This is the connector for the seatbelt sensor, just an MQS connector but because it is Merc it has a special colour, key and their logo on it so remember to disconnect it when removing the seats or it will break.

It's only 10mm long and 4mm tall

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

Haha did you think Daisy Duke's shorts were too revealing? THOSE JORTS WERE CRAP :mad:

Never change CT.

That show was so bad that not even Catherine Bach could make it worth watching. And she is otherwise veery much worth viewing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Never test-drove a regular 4.7, but the 4.7HO does scoot reasonably well. I'm plenty paranoid about the valveseat issue, but at the same time I can't afford to rip the heads off and fix it preemptively when it might not ever happen in the time I own it. It certainly happens more often than it should, but a look at CL says most of them still get to 180-200k miles anyway. At the mileage I'm putting on it and about how often I trade vehicles around, I'll either be ready to sell it or have already sold it at around that 180k mark.

I'm a huge fan of the Variloks, and I even like the NV247 for that matter. They're both drat near seamless in terms of locking up the axle / sending power forward. The only thing to remember when wheeling with them is that because it relies on hydraulic pressure generated by a difference in wheel speed, you do have to give it some POWAAAAA before they lock up.
Yeah, allowing for the known issues with the WJ, if you can find a good one for a reasonable price, I wouldn't avoid them.

The HO engine has a strengthened bottom end and 10% more power and torque.

I agree with you on the variloks. As you said, it's wheel speed difference - they effectively have two halves of an oil pump on each shaft, so if the shafts are rotating at different speeds, it pumps oil, which closes up a clutch pack to give a locking effect. They're not perfect, and they're not lockers in the truest sense, but they'll get you through a large proportion of "daily driver you don't want to trash" terrain. On snow with winter tyres, they're loving fantastic.

On the subject of variloks, the oil mixing recommendations for the LSD additive in the manuals are different depending where you look, and stupidly say put the same amount front and rear, even though the capacity is different - after some detective work and quizzing people on here, 7% additive by volume is what I remember as being about right.

Vent doors for the HVAC fail, but can be fixed with keyhole surgery through the glovebox rather than dash removal.
HVAC blowers stop working because the plug is not able to handle full current and literally melts.
Window regulators fail because the plastic link where the drive cables terminate cracks - catch it soon and you can fix it, before the cable birdnests itself.
Door electrics and controls can get dicky because the wiring wears from opening and closing, driver side is worse.
Pre-2002 front calipers can seize up IIRC.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

Merc plaster their logo on all their proprietary bits.

This is the connector for the seatbelt sensor, just an MQS connector but because it is Merc it has a special colour, key and their logo on it so remember to disconnect it when removing the seats or it will break.

It's only 10mm long and 4mm tall

Even the styrofoam blocks they used to put inside the doors to give them that deadened vault-like *thunk* have logos on them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, allowing for the known issues with the WJ, if you can find a good one for a reasonable price, I wouldn't avoid them.

The HO engine has a strengthened bottom end and 10% more power and torque.

I agree with you on the variloks. As you said, it's wheel speed difference - they effectively have two halves of an oil pump on each shaft, so if the shafts are rotating at different speeds, it pumps oil, which closes up a clutch pack to give a locking effect. They're not perfect, and they're not lockers in the truest sense, but they'll get you through a large proportion of "daily driver you don't want to trash" terrain. On snow with winter tyres, they're loving fantastic.

On the subject of variloks, the oil mixing recommendations for the LSD additive in the manuals are different depending where you look, and stupidly say put the same amount front and rear, even though the capacity is different - after some detective work and quizzing people on here, 7% additive by volume is what I remember as being about right.

Vent doors for the HVAC fail, but can be fixed with keyhole surgery through the glovebox rather than dash removal.
HVAC blowers stop working because the plug is not able to handle full current and literally melts.
Window regulators fail because the plastic link where the drive cables terminate cracks - catch it soon and you can fix it, before the cable birdnests itself.
Door electrics and controls can get dicky because the wiring wears from opening and closing, driver side is worse.
Pre-2002 front calipers can seize up IIRC.

How do you know all this? I didn't think we got WJs over here?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

New t-shirt arrived today

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT IN MY LIFE

screamname
Apr 6, 2015

freelop posted:

New t-shirt arrived today

Please tell me where you got that, I need to buy it for someone

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

screamname posted:

Please tell me where you got that, I need to buy it for someone

I originally got it from qwertee but t-shirts are only up for a day on there

Seems to be still about here though along with a tonne of other ones

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/war+boys+t-shirts

screamname
Apr 6, 2015

freelop posted:

I originally got it from qwertee but t-shirts are only up for a day on there

Seems to be still about here though along with a tonne of other ones

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/war+boys+t-shirts

Love red bubble ta

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KozmoNaut posted:

HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT IN MY LIFE

This can't be quoted hard or often enough.

WITNESS!!!!!
:perfect:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So my neighbor buddy took delivery of his brand new Austin yellow M3. I saw it in his driveway while out for a walk and shot him a quick text letting him know it was :perfect: and he texted me a bit later saying to come over and lets go for a ride.

I have ridden in a few fast cars, but it has been a while and holy balls that thing is crazy. We couldn't do over 5500 RPM for break in so I can't imagine what it will be like after the break in period is over. He pulled over at one point and said 'time to swap seats!' And I got to drive a brand new M3 with just over 40 miles on it. It was magical. It was seriously life changing. That is a shitload of car for the money. The whiz-pop of the turbos, the lightning fast gear changes of the DCT. I would be arrested within a month if I had that car, and it wouldn't be on purpose. He hit a buck twenty and it felt like 65. Doing 50 feels like 25. I can't imagine how it will be when fully broken in with the first service will be.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nothing like scaring the poo poo outta my roommate at 9AM with a 0-100 pull.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would be arrested within a month if I had that car, and it wouldn't be on purpose.

That's what I think/feel whenever I take my dad's E90 M3 out. Different powerband, obviously, but that thing just begs to be flogged, and you're exceeding the speed limit almost immediately.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So I dropped off the face of the earth for a long time because work was insane.

I'm back now--because I'm not employed anymore.

I feel so light and free, but I also don't know who I am anymore. It's weird. Bye sweet Government benefits. I've never not had a full time job. I don't know what to do with myself anymore. Maybe start working on the many project cars I have sitting in the driveway? There are 9 cars there now.

I am going to give myself a couple of days, then I have to brush up on Office 365 & SharePoint administration, I may have another job lined up. But I dunno.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2015

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Hey guys, I'm gonna bring some car chat into this here thread. I have an e36 chumpcar. The e36 fuel tank has a hump that goes over the driveshaft. The fuel return goes to the driver side and powers a jet siphon that draws fuel from the driver side, over the hump, to the fuel pump bowl on the passenger side. This works great on the street, but on the track some times it fails to keep up. All the fuel sloshes over the hump into the driver side after long right hand sweepers. I've been thinking about how to mitigate fuel starvation in such situations and have a few options:

1) Put another stock fuel sender unit/pump in the driver side, plumb it to pump fuel over to the passenger side.
-Upside: I know it will have enough flow to keep up with since it will be the same type of pump but isn't pushing any head.
-Downside: I'm worried about running it dry for brief periods once the tank is low. Obviously there won't be as much fuel coming in via the return as the new auxiliary pump will be capable of pumping. If it fails there is no siphon effect and I'm screwed.

2) Put a universal pump in line with the siphon tube.
-Upside: simple, cheap
-Downside: If it fails, then I have no siphon effect and I'm screwed. Would likely have to run dry for brief periods.

3) Universal fuel pump in parallel with existing siphon setup
-Upside: If it fails I still have the factory siphon setup
-Downside: It will run dry more than the other options since I will have a pump and the factory jet siphon both drawing fuel from the driver side to the passenger side.

I'm leaning towards option 3 because of the redundancy. I think a generic 30gph solenoid type fuel pump would do the trick. Does anybody have experience with pumps like this? How well do they take being run dry? Is there another pump type that can handle it better?

All this may be unnecessary by the way. The early e36 siphon setup is supposed to work well on the track and I suspect mine has lost some effectiveness due to an old fuel filter and/or pump. I'm going to replace both of those components but want to make drat sure I don't have fuel starvation issues next race.

User Error fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It begins...

Post from jail/just-bailed-out countdown, anybody?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

How do you know all this? I didn't think we got WJs over here?
1) Because I am a :spergin:

2) We did, I had a late 2002 Overland. We don't get everything Jeep does in the US (and certainly not at US prices), but they do sell some of them - their general approach seems to be to do middle to higher end diesels, and maybe one fully loaded petrol.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

User Error posted:

e36 chumpcar...fuel starvation

We fought this for almost a year on our E30 chump car. The solution was a surge tank in mounted in the trunk. Can't remember how we plumbed it but it eliminated all the fuel starvation issues we were having. We experimented with transfer pumps, auxiliary pump and everything else...they helped but didn't eliminate the problem. Go with the full 1/2 gallon allowed by the rules.

ChumpCar Rules posted:

9.9.6. Any surge tank must be located in-line, AFTER the fuel tank or cell and AFTER the primary fuel pump. Surge tanks are limited to one-half (0.5) gallon capacity.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah, I'd be terrified being the passenger in your car, too.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Anybody have any clue why Craigslist would be IP blocking my cellphone? I hardly ever even go to their site on this device so I'm both confused and kinda angry about this, and the email address they gave me to contact is just a random string of loving numbers.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Terrible Robot posted:

Anybody have any clue why Craigslist would be IP blocking my cellphone? I hardly ever even go to their site on this device so I'm both confused and kinda angry about this, and the email address they gave me to contact is just a random string of loving numbers.

If you can't get it sorted, maybe try TunnelBear VPN and see if that lets you through.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'd be terrified being the passenger in your car, too.

Hell, I'd be equally terrified being near his car. Especially on a rainy day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was expecting this to end with a 5 gallon bucket of water or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo battlebots is back.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, are there any NH goons near Goffstown that might be able to do me a favor?

There's an wrecking yard there that MIGHT have color-matching bumpers for my Talon, but they won't ship them. Wondering if I could talk some goon in the area in to throwing them in to a box and sending them across the country for me (If he still has them).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Arriviste posted:

If you can't get it sorted, maybe try TunnelBear VPN and see if that lets you through.

Thanks, this got me around the issue but I'm still at a complete loss as to why they blocked my IP to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Heh. Last night I fished out a key to a Fiesta that my slightly confused neighbor had dropped down the elevator shaft. A magnet on ten feet of string, a steady hand and a bit of luck, and it was back. It had been sitting there for three weeks, and she was ready to either shell out for a new key or pay the no doubt eye-watering price of having the elevator company come out and do it.

• Locked thread