Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ahh, looks like the ovulation strips I got were fakes. HOWEVER, I did get a positive on the day I'd expect to, and the lines went faint again the day after, as I'd expect, so it seems like they still work? Hopefully, anyway!

I also made a fertility consult appointment for a couple weeks from now. I'm bummed that it's gotten to this point, but hopefully we can start getting answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

Ahh, looks like the ovulation strips I got were fakes.

How did you know?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

How did you know?

I googled it and saw a photo of the packaging which says "LH" instead of "Wondfo" on the front, which indicates that it's a fake.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

I googled it and saw a photo of the packaging which says "LH" instead of "Wondfo" on the front, which indicates that it's a fake.

If it's on Amazon report the seller, even if it's been months. Amazon takes that very seriously.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

superbelch posted:

Be sure you guys keep trying while waiting for those appointments - women with normal HSGs can see a small increase in fertility for a couple of months after the study.

That's what I've heard, too!

For what it's worth, here's what my authentic Wondfo looks like:

The pregnancy tests look the same except for being super hot pink instead of blue and it says "HCG" on the handle. One downside of the fakes from another site is that it was taking some people a longer time than usual to get a result on their test, and that they had to hold it in for longer than 3 seconds. I figure if I'm going to be cheap then I might as well get my money's worth and make my Amazon Prime count by getting the real thing.

I've never tried Clearblue or anything digital, mostly because I used a lot of tests until very recently. I was basically using at least 3 per day for 5 days each month. Now I feel like I know my cycle well enough so I'm only using 1 per day for maybe 4 days. I start a few days before ovulation, and test the day of just to see that it's not surging anymore since only your last positive LH test counts. My surge is always in the afternoon so it is pointless to take a test before noon if it'll just be positive by 1pm anyway, so I've gotten less crazy about it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

samizdat posted:

The pregnancy tests look the same except for being super hot pink instead of blue and it says "HCG" on the handle. One downside of the fakes from another site is that it was taking some people a longer time than usual to get a result on their test, and that they had to hold it in for longer than 3 seconds. I figure if I'm going to be cheap then I might as well get my money's worth and make my Amazon Prime count by getting the real thing.

I've never tried Clearblue or anything digital, mostly because I used a lot of tests until very recently. I was basically using at least 3 per day for 5 days each month. Now I feel like I know my cycle well enough so I'm only using 1 per day for maybe 4 days. I start a few days before ovulation, and test the day of just to see that it's not surging anymore since only your last positive LH test counts. My surge is always in the afternoon so it is pointless to take a test before noon if it'll just be positive by 1pm anyway, so I've gotten less crazy about it.

I've got both Wondfo and these knockoff LH strips, but haven't noticed a real huge difference yet--going to test both with Wondfo + the knockoff and see what happens. To be fair the seller for the noname brand LH strips wasn't trying to pass them as Wondfos.

The info slip that came with the knockoff ones says to hold it in the urine for 10+ seconds--does it make any difference if you hold it in for longer than the recommended time? Say 15 seconds compared to 10 or 10 instead of 3 or whatever. Would that lead to lighter control/test lines?

CD12 today and round 3 of focused trying is on--this month we're just going to follow the fertility app's lead and just try to have sex every night I could potentially ovulate, just to take some of the pressure of reading the drat strips off. Dominant follicle on the left again.

Edit: Comparison between knockoff and Wondfo brand- Wondfo's have the green strip, the knockoffs are blue.

For reference I did dip the knockoff ones for longer, about 15 seconds, Wondfo for about 8; tested off the same sample at the same time

Without flash, I had to tilt my phone or cast a shadow-sorry for shoddy lighting

Personally I'd definitely call the Wondfo one positive for a surge, but the knockoff is debatable. Will test again later to see if they darken any more, maybe with less time held in the sample? Suggestions?

nyerf fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 17, 2015

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah I'd say to hell with the knockoffs, it looks too fuzzy. But I wouldn't say the Wondfo was positive either, maybe later on in the day though? It would have to be as dark as the control line, and usually starts to form first if that makes sense.

My HSG was clear, tubes were open. Reproductive endocrinologist appointment was interesting. It's always exciting when someone digs around in my vagina and butthole. No real answers yet, but it looks like I'll take Letrozole/Femara and we will do IUI. I'm doing a bunch of new tests, today was the fasting glucose bloodwork which involved drinking 10oz of orange sugar water in 3 minutes. Got a negative pregnancy test today (12 days past ovulation) and I'm just waiting for my period so I can call them.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm getting a fertility consult next week, after a year of trying with no results. Any questions I should be asking?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
"Where's my loving baby?"

They'll just run all the tests ask then to run everything. I got (more) thyroid function tests, a blood test on day 21 to check ovulation had occurred, pelvic ultrasound, a shot of pregnyl to try and push the process chemically even though my ov was fine he said it's just a thing, partner sperm tests, usual blood function and prenatal rubella checks, then went to laparoscopy and hysteroscopy and d&c to diagnose and treat in one fun operation.

Edit to add every test prior to operation was okay, it was only when they cut everything out of me and had it tested they proved it was endometriosis and even now it's in the hands of fate / future IVF probably

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 27, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Plus_Infinity posted:

I'm getting a fertility consult next week, after a year of trying with no results. Any questions I should be asking?

My wife says to also check the success rate of fertility clinics in your area (even if you sound like you already have one in mind). You can check on that here: http://nccd.cdc.gov/DRH_ART/Apps/FertilityClinicReport.aspx

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

My wife says to also check the success rate of fertility clinics in your area (even if you sound like you already have one in mind). You can check on that here: http://nccd.cdc.gov/DRH_ART/Apps/FertilityClinicReport.aspx

Ahh, thanks. I'm actually just going to a highly-recommended OBGYN for an initial consult and then she'd refer me to a fertility clinic if need be, so this is good info to have before any referrals.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Plus_Infinity posted:

Have you been charting or doing anything else that would help you know when you ovulate? If not, maybe ask for some advice on that too!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

sheri posted:

Have you been charting or doing anything else that would help you know when you ovulate? If not, maybe ask for some advice on that too!

Yep I've been using LH strips for about 6 months. Am ovulating right on schedule every month, tons of EWCM, decently long luteal phase, everything seems normal and perfect other than the fact that I'm not pregnant.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Don't forget the other half- it might not be you after all!

Cycle day 4, boo. I never thought I'd be here, hanging on LH strips and cycle data, and despite ambivalence about child raising, still managing to not avoid feeling weirdly disappointed about not being pregnant yet and simultaneously envious of others who are/who apparently had no trouble. Is this kind of anxiety infectious? Seems to happen to everyone who looks into fertility forums of one kind or another.

Can I commiserate here too? Walked past a heavily pregnant woman this morning who was hurriedly puffing on a cigarette. Life is stupidly unfair.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ugh yeah it's awful feeling like this, isn't it? One of my best friends is pregnant and I hung out with her and another pregnant friend the other day and just felt bitter the whole time and I HATE feeling like that.

Doctor yesterday was nice. We're getting a sperm analysis and an MRI for me in a few weeks to make sure my tubes aren't blocked. I thought I was feeling ok about everything but I just felt really sad last night. I guess because going for an infertility consult just made things seem so real, and all of this is so scary.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Me and my wife picked up some of the tests posted in the OP (https://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com). We think she's about 12 days passed ovulation. Three days ago, negative, but the passed two days (including two tests the same day two days ago), she's been getting a faint line. The line hasn't darkened though. Since the tests are posted in the OP, I figured some of you may have tried them, and may could comment on the experience with this kind of line.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Those are definite lines, so congrats to you guys. Darkening doesn't really mean a lot, though the one on the right looks a little darker than the one on the left. I didn't find the wondfos to get all that much darker over time -- at least not that I would notice day to day. The early first responses were a bit better, but they're way more expensive.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well, the wife's second transfer for IVF (first FET) is tomorrow. We're gonna spend the morning doing clichéd "lucky" things (tossing pennies in fountains, looking for four leaf clovers, she read that fish and eggs are lucky so eating deviled eggs topped with fish eggs, etc). Cheesy, but fun and, more importantly, distracting.

Here we go again.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Good luck!!!!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Doubling good luck wishes!

I'm day two post ovulation. Probably will go for it again tonight just for luck, though I know it's more the sex in the 24 hours before ovulation that'll make any difference. Kinda nervous because it was in the morning the day before I ovulated, so relatively a long time, possibly even too soon? :ohdear:

Crazy to think that if it's going to happen the first cell divisions are happening RIGHT NOW. If, though. It's always an if until it's not. Gah.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
Hello thread! Me and my boyfriend have just started trying for a baby as of, well, about two and a half weeks ago. I was on the implant before but had it taken out on the 9th, and a couple of days ago I started my period. When I was on the implant my period was just all over the place, sometimes it lasted a couple of days, a couple of weeks and there was just no telling when it was coming. At least having it regular again will be nice.

I know I have been trying for zero time, but it's just so easy to get impatient. I think as someone said a couple of pages ago, you just expect to go off birth control and get pregnant immediately. I remember sex education in school acting like if you so much as forgot one day of the pill and there were any live sperm within a mile of your vagina, it was a done deal. Plus, I've had a couple of friends get pregnant from one night stands, so that too.

I haven't bought any of those ovulation tests, but me and my boyfriend naturally tend to have sex everyday anyway, so I should be fine, right?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yes, if you're ovulating and he doesn't have low sperm count issues you should be fine.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm sure you'll be fine.

thrawn527 posted:

Well, the wife's second transfer for IVF (first FET) is tomorrow. We're gonna spend the morning doing clichéd "lucky" things (tossing pennies in fountains, looking for four leaf clovers, she read that fish and eggs are lucky so eating deviled eggs topped with fish eggs, etc). Cheesy, but fun and, more importantly, distracting.

Here we go again.

Hi, I don't suppose you (or anyone else at that stage?) feel like talking about how you made the choice that it was time for IVF? You sort of loosely covered it but it was very much a decision that had already taken place.

After 1 year of trying and passing all the blood/sperm/ovulation/ultrasound tests I had to have a laparoscopy. During the lap they found endo, burned it all away, and my doctor gave me a time frame of 3 more months, 6 more months at the latest, before IVF becomes the best choice. He described it like "maybe for you getting pregnant requires rolling two sixes". I'm now at 4 months post lap, so like 18 months overall. I am torn between wanting to follow the medical advice and start booking poo poo now, wanting to bury my head in the sand and pretend it'll all work out, and basically just giving up hope. My partner doesn't help as he's an eternal optimist and thinks I'm just being impatient.

As someone whose been there, how hard was it to make the mental transition from "It's just bad luck and we should hold out" to "It's not going to happen without science"?

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks guys, I know it's just the waiting game now. And I finished my period yesterday, which is always good news.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hi, I don't suppose you (or anyone else at that stage?) feel like talking about how you made the choice that it was time for IVF? You sort of loosely covered it but it was very much a decision that had already taken place.

After 1 year of trying and passing all the blood/sperm/ovulation/ultrasound tests I had to have a laparoscopy. During the lap they found endo, burned it all away, and my doctor gave me a time frame of 3 more months, 6 more months at the latest, before IVF becomes the best choice. He described it like "maybe for you getting pregnant requires rolling two sixes". I'm now at 4 months post lap, so like 18 months overall. I am torn between wanting to follow the medical advice and start booking poo poo now, wanting to bury my head in the sand and pretend it'll all work out, and basically just giving up hope. My partner doesn't help as he's an eternal optimist and thinks I'm just being impatient.

As someone whose been there, how hard was it to make the mental transition from "It's just bad luck and we should hold out" to "It's not going to happen without science"?

It's honestly hard to say, as it's a very personal decision. Part of it was our doctor telling us it would be our best chance (after we tried various injections with timed intercourse, which is one of many things you guys can try first). But even then the doctor was always saying, "There's still a chance you can have a child the old fashioned way..." which didn't really help. We basically gave ourselves a deadline, a line in the sand, where after that date we knew we were just going to have to go for it.

Our situation was a bit different, though, because we had 2 ectopic pregnancies, so certain things were out of the question for us that may not be for you. No doctor would do an IUI on someone who was already at high risk for ectopic pregnancies (as they shouldn't), and that could be a very good option for you. Also, we have fantastic insurance, that paid for a good bit of IVF, allowing us to set an earlier deadline than some might.

You honestly just need to trust your instincts, because no one is going to be able to tell you when it's time. We just set a deadline and said, "We keep trying all nonIVF things the doctor can throw at us until here, then if we're not pregnant, we science the poo poo out of this."

Also, keep in mind there are many things to do first. Timed injections, IUI's, and a whole lot of other things. You don't need to, and shouldn't, go from zero to IVF.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Thank you. Doctor didn't really talk about IUI, he just said IVF, so I will raise that when I go again. He did say they could help check ovulation with the ultrasound if it wasn't working so I think that was implied more injections as I only had one go at that, just prior to the surgery.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I've been off BC for six months now. Actively trying for 3 months (I got attacked at work at the beginning of the year as was on Class C meds for a couple months). Got my period again yesterday. I know that it is still early to be whining about it, but I just get super depressed when that time of the month rolls around again. I feel crazy but sometimes I think that at 29 I've already waited too late.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

JustAurora posted:

I've been off BC for six months now. Actively trying for 3 months (I got attacked at work at the beginning of the year as was on Class C meds for a couple months). Got my period again yesterday. I know that it is still early to be whining about it, but I just get super depressed when that time of the month rolls around again. I feel crazy but sometimes I think that at 29 I've already waited too late.

I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel! Weirdly, it's sort of gotten easier for me. I would get super hopeful the first ~6 months of trying, thinking I would definitely get pregnant THIS time, and then my hopes would be dashed. Now I'm on month 14 of trying with no luck, and I pretty much expect it not to work (but try anyway) so it's not such an emotional rollercoaster. I'm also 31 now and although logically I know that I still have a few years before I really need to start freaking out about my age, I do feel like maybe I just left it until it was too late.

All you can do is keep trying, and if a year goes by and you still don't have any luck, get checked out (which is what I'm doing now). It'll get easier!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Only somewhat connected to the current conversation, but a year ago my wife wrote this article for a blog and I thought the thread might enjoy it. Since someone asked what lead us to IVF, this sums up most of what last year was like before getting to the IVF state of mind we're at now.

Get drunk, have sex everyday, buy new underwear, and other infertility insights.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

JustAurora posted:

I'm only 27 and I feel old to start, but it doesn't help that all of my sisters had their first child by the time they were 22. Even now I'm trying, though, and really do want one, I just can't picture 22-year old me having one. I really really haven't been ready until now. Anyway, good luck, I hope it all works out for you soon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Min_sora posted:

I'm only 27 and I feel old to start, but it doesn't help that all of my sisters had their first child by the time they were 22. Even now I'm trying, though, and really do want one, I just can't picture 22-year old me having one. I really really haven't been ready until now. Anyway, good luck, I hope it all works out for you soon.

All of my friends from "back home" started knocking out kids at 20-24, and now we're the first in our new group to even be trying at 31.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

All of my friends from "back home" started knocking out kids at 20-24, and now we're the first in our new group to even be trying at 31.

This is similar to my experience. It's all based on where you're from or where you live. Objectively 27 isn't even close to a risky age, so don't beat yourself up over it!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

At the same time age doesn't guarantee anything either. I've done a number of IVF related scans for 20-28 year olds for all sorts of reasons- endometriosis, failed reversed vasectomies, low sperm counts, unexplained infertility, the list goes on. We get them younger because the pool of women having children in this area is much younger than the national average. It's amazing humans manage to reproduce as often as they do. It's just your luck, all said and done. And IVF is still cheaper and more accessible than adoption in this county!

Day 10 post ovulation for me. Next 4 days (well really 4 days, and then some really) are going to drag. I'm not feeling optimistic though.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
My boyfriend is going back to his home country for 9 days this month and I'm really hoping it doesn't end up being during my fertile time. I finished my period the beginning of this week and he's going from the 7th-17th this month, hopefully it'll be fine. I'm also super stressed at work, I'm an EFL teacher and June-August are just really hectic months - sometimes I'm starting at 9 and not actually getting home until 9pm since even the couple of hour break I have in the middle gets filled with paperwork.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
After 4 failed treatments with clomid + ovidrel my wife and I took a month break. Don't know what happened... but test strips are faint and blood test is 41 hcg. :crossarms:

Another blood test Monday to see if things are doubling, but it looks like we need to start preparing for a 2nd bundle of crazy.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I'm at the point where we have been to a urologist and reproductive endocrinologist and we are waiting to do IUI. I don't know whether it can happen for us without the medication and physical intervention. The doctors both say that my husband's motility isn't that bad. The reproductive endocrinologist says that I don't have abnormal results for hormones but still thinks that I might have something wrong, but won't know until they do an ultrasound to check for follicles to see if I have PCOS. My only other symptoms are acne after ovulation (which various tests indicate occurs for me regularly) and scoring low for being hirsute.

I'm pissed because I was told one of my medications was fine to be on by one doctor but now my reproductive endocrinologist prefers me to not be on it (a month after we first met with him), and I just found out he wants us to skip this cycle and wait another month until we do IUI so I'm completely off of it. I just feel like I've waited for so long just to be here and now I have to wait even longer. I just called the office to say I got my period and get instructions for the Femara and ultrasound, and got told this and to call back the next time I get my period. Ouch.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kat Delacour posted:

Sorry, this is probably me just being a dumbass, but why are people so leery of IVF? Is it especially risky?

Full transparency; I'm a 25 year old guy who has no intention of siring any children for the foreseeable future, so I'm fairly ignorant of the topic, but I like to peek in on this thread from time to time because I like seeing people get excited when the tests come back positive.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Keeshhound posted:

Sorry, this is probably me just being a dumbass, but why are people so leery of IVF? Is it especially risky?

It's incredibly expensive if you don't have insurance that covers it (spoiler alert, you almost certainly won't). Average cost in the U.S. is $12,000 before medications, which can run you another $3,000-5000. Also, it involves a lot of really "apple cart upsetting" hormones, especially for egg retrieval phase (my wife had a headache so bad for a solid week we couldn't turn the lights on in our house). Nightly shots into your own butt are a possibility, sometimes two a night. And after spending $12,000, it still isn't a guarantee, and your chances are best if you do it up to 3 times. Which, you know, lot's of money.

It ups your chances. But if someone can get away with a less expensive, and less intrusive, all the better. Because you could drop $40,000 after a few rounds.

On that note, second round of IVF failed for us. Currently setting dates for round three, where we'll actually have 2 frozen embryos transferred at once. Luckily I'm at one of only two companies in Central Florida (...I think in all of Florida) that actually covers most of it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That sucks. Good luck dude.

Keeshhound posted:

What he said. Expensive, even in Australia with Medicare AND private health insurance you're looking at paying 50% out of pocket, the meds aren't covered, the process of making the ova ready for harvest is awful, and imo will probably stress a relationship already under pressure from loving on schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

thrawn527 posted:

And after spending $12,000, it still isn't a guarantee, and your chances are best if you do it up to 3 times.

Jesus. Well, thanks for spelling it out for me, and good luck from me too.

• Locked thread