Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

PU technicalities

I mean yeah I'm sure any old IRL monarch would rather live in Versailles, but that wouldn't mean all of the Hungarian nobles and administrators move to Paris with the King. Plus can you imagine how loving irritating it would be if you tag switched every time you managed to PU a nation that was technically superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What determines what exploration missions are available? Just recruited an explorer as Holland in 1472 and the only option is to circumnavigate the globe.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

What determines what exploration missions are available? Just recruited an explorer as Holland in 1472 and the only option is to circumnavigate the globe.

It's determined by colonial range. Get more ideas and dip tech to unlock missions.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bort Bortles posted:

I am waiting for a building to be added that lets you have a capital sized and style garrison (1k men) anywhere. It would have 1/4 or 1/3 the upkeep of a fort, no ZoC, could not be mothballed, not add much or any army tradition, but let you have at least some mild fortifications on islands or important places. e.g. Crete, Madeira, Gotland or if you have a province next to a fort that is important but not strategic enough to merit a fort, or it is a fort's ZoC but you want this province (a CoT, Estuary, gold province, big manpower province, whatever) to not have a 1 month siege. It would take up a building slot so there would be "opportunity cost" for having it, but it may be just what you need. It also would probably not have any upgrades.

I'd just make single province islands have a capital fort for free, which you can improve on by building a fort there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean yeah I'm sure any old IRL monarch would rather live in Versailles, but that wouldn't mean all of the Hungarian nobles and administrators move to Paris with the King. Plus can you imagine how loving irritating it would be if you tag switched every time you managed to PU a nation that was technically superior.
Well, in EU4 you control the country and not the king, so what'd actually happen would be your country ending up as the junior partner in a personal union. That said, it really should be up to the player what happens, the other country should just react appropriately. I'm thinking you could choose between a few different solutions, whenever you ended up the senior partner in a union.

1. Remain the senior partner, with all that implies in terms of having to maintain the union.
2. Become the junior partner.
3. Let your king become their king, and put one of his relatives on your throne.
4. Set up one of his relatives on their throne.

Aside from determining your ruler, these could also have different bonuses associated with them, like boosted relations, prestige, and/or diplomatic reputation.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd just make single province islands have a capital fort for free, which you can improve on by building a fort there.
I agree. Denmark needs a buff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm a republic, is there any point in staying in the HRE? It got me out of direct wars with the emperor in the past as expanded within, but now every minor war with some stupid OPM ends up dragging the whole empire against me. I can't increase my government rank as a member, so should I just leave?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I agree. Denmark needs a buff.
Bornholm could use a defense boost yes.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it might be neat to give the player a one-time tag-switch interface on each monarch death. "Your king has passed away. Which court does your heir reside in?"

I also think it would be neat to represent China better, although they've apparently gone berzerk in Common Sense. They regularly rule all of Manchuria and most of the steppe now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Serbia is not very stronk when the Ottomans come knocking, even with Poland on your side :saddowns:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bort Bortles posted:

So Culture Converting now has a base cost and time-to-complete of 10 Diplo points per development :stare:

That's...horrible. Especially when as Russia before 1.13 I actually considered culture flipping very valuable. (Well with religious)

Speaking 1.13 has TBARW been updated for it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

That's...horrible. Especially when as Russia before 1.13 I actually considered culture flipping very valuable. (Well with religious)

Speaking 1.13 has TBARW been updated for it?

Err unless I'm missing something, culture conversion cost is exactly equivalent to what it was pre-CS? Before it was base 25 DIP per basetax, now it's 10 DIP per development, and 1 basetax ~ 2.5 development.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pellisworth posted:

Err unless I'm missing something, culture conversion cost is exactly equivalent to what it was pre-CS? Before it was base 25 DIP per basetax, now it's 10 DIP per development, and 1 basetax ~ 2.5 development.

Huh I experienced it as very cheap in the first CS patch. I thought he meant it got increased in 1.13.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

Huh I experienced it as very cheap in the first CS patch. I thought he meant it got increased in 1.13.

The cost is the same, 10 DIP and one month conversion time per development.

CS increased coring costs a bit and literally doubled diplo-annexation costs, but culture conversion is the same. Religious conversion is a bit easier.

Edit: if you wanna sperg it,

1 basetax ~ 2.5 development

Previously 20 ADM to core per basetax, now 10 per development, so 25% higher coring costs without claims. The change in claim discount means if you factor that in, +50% coring costs.
Diplo-integration used to be 10 per basetax, now 8 per development. Fully twice as expensive to integrate.
Religious conversion difficulty used to be +0.5% per basetax, now is +0.1% per development. So conversion difficulty from province size is halved, meaning rich provinces are much easier to convert.
Culture conversion was 25 per basetax, now 10 per development. It's the same.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've never played The Mamluks so I thought I give it a go and hopefully do the Arabian Coffee achievement, and I have to say that it's one of the more fun countries I've played lately. Good economy, large army and really intense starting position as you pretty much have to hurry all you can to take down the Ottomans before they get going. It's around 1500 and I've managed to kick them completely out of modern-day Turkey so now they're a small state in the Balkans. I would leave them alone from now on and hope that either Hungary or Venice take them out, but I am not sure I can trust them to actually get it done and I sure as hell don't want them trying to reclaim their cores.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Dibujante posted:

I also think it would be neat to represent China better, although they've apparently gone berzerk in Common Sense. They regularly rule all of Manchuria and most of the steppe now.

According to my Chinese friends this is WAD and please understand their culture.

(I'll be a counter and say that I've still seen Ming completely disintegrate in at least 2 different games but when they don't blow up they're scary and probably should be toned down a little.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star posted:

I've never played The Mamluks so I thought I give it a go and hopefully do the Arabian Coffee achievement, and I have to say that it's one of the more fun countries I've played lately. Good economy, large army and really intense starting position as you pretty much have to hurry all you can to take down the Ottomans before they get going. It's around 1500 and I've managed to kick them completely out of modern-day Turkey so now they're a small state in the Balkans. I would leave them alone from now on and hope that either Hungary or Venice take them out, but I am not sure I can trust them to actually get it done and I sure as hell don't want them trying to reclaim their cores.
You can never trust the Ottoman to stay dead.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm just reading a thread on Paradox forums about Pan-Slavic union and one dude made NI for theoretical Yugoslavia

quote:

Yugoslavia would have a superb collection of national ideas!

Serbian history: +100% prestige from loosing battles
Slovenian virginity: +50% manpower recovery
Montenegrian productivity: -0.10 produced goods
Bosnian ingenuity: +10% idea costs
Macedonian heritage: -100% time to fabricate claims in the Greek region
Croatian 1000 years of culture: +200% culture conversion costs
Kosovo trade unions: +20% vegetable trade efficiency

of course with the tradition of
+3 revolt risk and +100% stability cost

along with a special achievement for wanting to play as Yugoslavia in the first place :)

If there is anyone from ex-Yu unable to laugh at that, I'd suggest leaving their house more often, while others won't understand most of it anyway...

Please make it happen devs, at least for one patch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A Bulgarian nation with its many bonuses would totally best that Yugoslavia.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone make sense of the graph on this page? http://www.eu4wiki.com/Alliance#Coalition

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone make sense of the graph on this page? http://www.eu4wiki.com/Alliance#Coalition

It appears to be an empirical scatter plot of some person taking note of when nations would join or leave coalitions against them when said person was at different levels of AE.

In other words, it's purely anecdotal. The main observation is that 30 - 40 AE is when coalitions start to really form. According to the caption, the graph is meant to show that nations are much less likely to leave coalitions in patch 1.8. Why this is on the wiki rather than in a poorly written forum post is beyond my understanding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gimnbo posted:

It appears to be an empirical scatter plot of some person taking note of when nations would join or leave coalitions against them when said person was at different levels of AE.

In other words, it's purely anecdotal. The main observation is that 30 - 40 AE is when coalitions start to really form. According to the caption, the graph is meant to show that nations are much less likely to leave coalitions in patch 1.8. Why this is on the wiki rather than in a poorly written forum post is beyond my understanding.
The conclusion to be drawn is that you should keep other countries at -80 opinion, and thus prevent them from joining a coalition against you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Star posted:

You're overachieving, but that's fine.

Arabian Coffee as Mamluks is really easy, just smash your way to forming Arabia (only risky part is, of course, the provinces near the Ottoman border), smash your way to 50%+1 coffee production, and don't care about the long-term.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Kongo done!

Boo Austria for being at 10-15% integration chance for 50 years and not integrating. I even made a road to you through the Ottomans.

ivan noooooooo wat r u doing

I hit the achievement in 1750 and just sat on speed 5 and helped a giant Brazil escape Spain, crushed the Ottoman Revolution, and wished stupid Austria would integrate into Africa. I actually got giant France to give me 15% trade power. Oh and I was Emperor of the most dysfunctional HRE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The cool thing about 1.12 is that Kongo has almost constantly been at war for sure, but you have an army trad of 12.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Where can you see AE?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going to try for the Holy Trinity achievement once the next patch hits (is there a rough ETA on it?) Do you pretty much have to do two no-cb wars against the Teutonic and Livonian Orders before Poland-Lithuania eats them up?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Dibujante posted:

I think it might be neat to give the player a one-time tag-switch interface on each monarch death. "Your king has passed away. Which court does your heir reside in?"

Inward Perfection was reworked, so China no longer has any crippling debuffs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

Where can you see AE?

Coalition mapmode.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Node posted:

I'm going to try for the Holy Trinity achievement once the next patch hits (is there a rough ETA on it?) Do you pretty much have to do two no-cb wars against the Teutonic and Livonian Orders before Poland-Lithuania eats them up?

I wonder how you would even do this achievement now that you can't take stuff you can't core in a war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just started up a Muscovy game for shits and giggles, and 22k men start in Galich for some reason. Supply limit 17. :iiam:

e: And a starting forcelimit of 29. drat.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So Pope Power got a nice buff in the 1.13 beta. 50 Papal Influence buys you a +15% tax modifier for 20 years, or +15% manpower recovery or +1 legitimacy/diplorep/prestige yearly for 20 years. There's an inflation reduction one too. They're still not as good as 100 PI for 1 Stability, but they're a lot better than they were. I'm Catholic Spain and I can usually stay at 2-3 stability and keep 1-2 of those buffs up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The coalition mapmode really sucks because people at -0 and people at -50 AE are almost the same color, until they actually join a coalition, then they light up. It should color nations yellow or something when they hit -30 AE.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I really hope they change the economic mapmode too, am I the only one that has a really hard time with it? It's just a splodge of near-random colours, I don't see why they didn't just go with a gradient or something.

Could stand to be changed to development instead of just basetax too.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Koramei posted:

I really hope they change the economic mapmode too, am I the only one that has a really hard time with it? It's just a splodge of near-random colours, I don't see why they didn't just go with a gradient or something.

Could stand to be changed to development instead of just basetax too.

I'd really like this

I still can't tell which shade of green is supposed to be the best

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

The coalition mapmode really sucks because people at -0 and people at -50 AE are almost the same color, until they actually join a coalition, then they light up. It should color nations yellow or something when they hit -30 AE.

and the autonomy rating is basically everything green unless it's like 40% or something.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Just started up a Muscovy game for shits and giggles, and 22k men start in Galich for some reason. Supply limit 17. :iiam:

e: And a starting forcelimit of 29. drat.

Yep the provinces around you are actually decent now too. It's quite the difference from 1.12 which compared to Poland / Lith muscovy could basically only watch and beat up hordes.

Check out the development on Ryazan's provinces. I grab them way earlier now than I used to.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I'm having mixed feelings about the fact that the whole of Europe is covered in Pragues and Parises in my 1.13 game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How to do holy trinity in 1.13...?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can vassalize the Livonians in one war so maybe no CB declare on the Teutons with them as cobelligerent, vassalize LO, give a bunch of TO to Poland and then vassalize next war? Take one TO province next to LO so you can get a CB

Not sure if Poland will ally you since I've been restarting trying to figure out how to take all of Naples right at the start and survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yashichi posted:

You can vassalize the Livonians in one war so maybe no CB declare on the Teutons with them as cobelligerent, vassalize LO, give a bunch of TO to Poland and then vassalize next war? Take one TO province next to LO so you can get a CB

Not sure if Poland will ally you since I've been restarting trying to figure out how to take all of Naples right at the start and survive

Can you even take any provinces with the change where you can't take poo poo you can't core?

• Locked thread