Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are there any cameras out yet that can do 1080p/30 for four hours on a charge? I don't mind swapping batteries, but running a cable from my helmet to the bike is a non-starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You could probably run a cable to a USB battery pack stashed in your jacket somewhere, otherwise you're gonna be stuck swapping batteries if you're not OK with a tether to a power source.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

advion posted:

It will work for just random video but it's pretty crappy quality for 720p/60fps. The photos are pretty horrible as well but it works for just random video to share with a friend every once in a while or insurance purposes.

What would you recommend that isn't crappy quality?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get a USB port on your bike (I had one that connected to the standard trickle charger lead), run a cheap USB cable under your tank up to your bars or a mount on your bike.

You could also extend that through your riding jacket to a short cable to your helmet if you'd like, similar to how heated gear works.

You don't get the swivel effect of your head on a bike mount, obviously, but you also don't have to dick with it as much.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

advion posted:

It will work for just random video but it's pretty crappy quality for 720p/60fps. The photos are pretty horrible as well but it works for just random video to share with a friend every once in a while or insurance purposes.

The 720p/60fps with superview is great for me. 1080p/30fps looks good too. Night time video sucks, but I remember that being poo poo on my hero 3 black too.

It's only 5mp so photos will be bad compared to others, but for 720 or 1080 recording it should be comparable, maybe not as sharp. I think it's a fine and cheap option.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Are there any cameras out yet that can do 1080p/30 for four hours on a charge? I don't mind swapping batteries, but running a cable from my helmet to the bike is a non-starter.

I run a contour roam2 for about weeks worth of commutes without bugging it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Knifegrab posted:

What would you recommend that isn't crappy quality?

If you can find a late production Hero 3+ (some earlier ones did have issues with lenses not being perfectly adjusted for focus) for sale anywhere I think that's about the sweet spot for battery life vs. solid but non-ridiculous features. IIRC the Hero 4 Silver is about the same specs-wise but with the screen built-in which can be disabled to help with battery life. I think you'd get about 2 hours or so per charge on the 3+, from memory. The Hero 3 had terrible battery life at only about 1.5 hours or so, so don't be tempted to get a 3 over a 3+, whatever you do.

goddamnedtwisto, I was wondering about that for my chin mount set up recently when thinking of maybe making up a new, magnetic version. I figured if you're really worried about the plastic parts being stronger than your neck, you could take a dremel and create weak points as required on relevant parts to encourage breakage in the event of an impact.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 30, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

The 720p/60fps with superview is great for me. 1080p/30fps looks good too. Night time video sucks, but I remember that being poo poo on my hero 3 black too.

It's only 5mp so photos will be bad compared to others, but for 720 or 1080 recording it should be comparable, maybe not as sharp. I think it's a fine and cheap option.

Maybe I have a random lovely one or something but the 720p/60fps is smooth but the video quality is very lackluster. Maybe my expectations were too high but watching files straight from the camera looks like it's already been run through YouTube compression. Then again it only does 15Mb/s for bitrate compared to 60Mb/s of the Hero 4 Black.

advion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 30, 2015

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
http://amzn.to/1f1KxvC

Just saw this deal for Go Pro Accessory Kit Ultimate Combo Kit 33 accessories for $15.48

It's got a ton of adhesives and handlebar clamps, windshield mounts, chest strap, head strap for around $15 instead of the usual $40 or so.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

lowcrabdiet posted:

http://amzn.to/1f1KxvC

Just saw this deal for Go Pro Accessory Kit Ultimate Combo Kit 33 accessories for $15.48

It's got a ton of adhesives and handlebar clamps, windshield mounts, chest strap, head strap for around $15 instead of the usual $40 or so.

Holy poo poo that package retails for 600 bucks normally and its on sale for 15, that is insane!

edit: The reviews for this make it seem like the build quality on these mounts is kinda poo poo, maybe not so great for mounting a go pro.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 1, 2015

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo that package retails for 600 bucks normally and its on sale for 15, that is insane!

edit: The reviews for this make it seem like the build quality on these mounts is kinda poo poo, maybe not so great for mounting a go pro.

I have this - it's fine if you're not doing anything super physical. It'll hold up fine for regular driving, though.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have the knock-off suction mount and an official GoPro suction mount and I like the knock-off better. I can't tell any difference in actual suction strength, but the knock-off has the design where you clip into it with the 3-prong clip that most of us has attached to the camera at any given time. (5th picture on the side): http://amzn.to/1GOkIF0

The official GoPro suction mount that I have requires you to unscrew the camera from any clips, and then re-screw the camera into the suction mount. You can see what I mean here: http://amzn.to/1GOks8R

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I picked up a Sena 10C a couple of weeks ago and it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du89IDm9J9g
Un-stabilized boring commute video. Little bumpy, and not as "exciting" looking as something from a really nice GoPro, but still pretty good.

Considering I was going to get a Sena anyways it made a lot of sense to just get the one thing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I think I want that. That looks really cool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New gopro out, it's a tiny bugger

http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-session/CHDHS-101.html

Should solve some of the complaints of the gopro form factor

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has a higher resolution than my HD Hero, that soon may be relegated to rear facing camera.
*edit* Ugh two hour battery life

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bit of a waste of time IMO. The form factor could be a much lower profile chin mount option, but non-replaceable battery makes the 2 hour life an issue where I don't think that's so much the case with the traditional GoPros (despite the protestations of some and the fact other cameras have longer battery life).

If they could match or better Hero 3+ quality without taking away the external mic and swappable battery functions then I'd be very interested.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That and you still can't rotate the censor. You're still stuck trying to get it completely level with only 90 degree increments. Which can be difficult on the side of a round helmet.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

I run a contour roam2 for about weeks worth of commutes without bugging it.

Is the video quality enough to pick up license plates clearly?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hopefully down the road they'll come out with one that has a replaceable battery and does 1440 60fps. I'd be all over that.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Ziploc posted:

That and you still can't rotate the censor. You're still stuck trying to get it completely level with only 90 degree increments. Which can be difficult on the side of a round helmet.

You should be chin mounting it like a bawwwss anyway.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Hilariously overwrought GoPro chin-mount, whatup.

Sees almost exactly what I see, can be finely adjusted, renders weird GoPro form factor basically irrelevant, looks completely idiotic.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Frosty- posted:

Hilariously overwrought GoPro chin-mount, whatup.

Sees almost exactly what I see, can be finely adjusted, renders weird GoPro form factor basically irrelevant, looks completely idiotic.

Mine is in pretty much exactly the same location, but with way less complexity in the mounting set up. Is the front of your chin bar really curved or something?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Yeah, it has a peak to it and the chin vent gets in the way as well, and there are other weird contours going back to the sides. As far as getting a GoPro mount to stick it's pretty much impossible anywhere closer to where the camera itself is, so I had to make the silly arm. It was really inconvenient to set up, but now that it's in the right position and all tightened down I can just attach/detach without drama. It's infinitely superior to the side-mount I used to use, though, which had all kinds of alignment problems and wind noise.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is that a custom case? Do you obscure the blinking red light on purpose?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

It's just the regular black one. I got it because I thought it looked cooler. It did come with stickers to cover the LCD as well, so maybe it was intended to be stealthy or something, but I just liked the look more than the clear case.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I was trying to figure out a way to chin mount on my GT-Air as well. It's just going to involve a bit of 3M tape and some Sugru I think.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

advion posted:

I was trying to figure out a way to chin mount on my GT-Air as well. It's just going to involve a bit of 3M tape and some Sugru I think.

I have a GT-Air and my chin mount looks like Frosty-'s. It's kind of ridiculous but it gives a good viewing angle.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I had cobbled it on as a test with some 3M tape in the center of the chin and it worked well enough and stuck pretty well on either side of that ridge. I'm going to do it again and actually take my time and then shove some white Sugru in all the cracks of the 3M tape. Should work great and not look too terrible I think.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

advion posted:

I had cobbled it on as a test with some 3M tape in the center of the chin and it worked well enough and stuck pretty well on either side of that ridge. I'm going to do it again and actually take my time and then shove some white Sugru in all the cracks of the 3M tape. Should work great and not look too terrible I think.

I think you could stack the tape in places to make the shape you need? Does Sugru stick to StuffIt is it just a filler?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

Is the video quality enough to pick up license plates clearly?

Yes. one lane to the left and right of me too. At night it'll pick up plates as long as my bright fuckoff headlight isn't pointed at them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So uhh...how do you go about mocking up your helmet mounts? The adhesive looks pretty industrial strength, kinda looks like you get one shot to get it right.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Figure it out before you peel the paper away?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was more thinking I'd want to go for a ride to make sure it's set right, but apparently this adhesive is meant to come off so maybe I'll just give it a shot. Wish this camera came with more than one extra adhesive pad in case I get it wrong, but I guess I can order more if needed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What kind of camera/mount? I mean go ahead and do that if you want to, but there are a ton of examples of different views that other people have put up. I'm curious about a sticky mount that comes off.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I did the chin mount gopro so even if I messed it up I can still adjust it (just mock it up and then put a sticker or some pencil marks wherever it should go and voila!).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nsaP posted:

What kind of camera/mount? I mean go ahead and do that if you want to, but there are a ton of examples of different views that other people have put up. I'm curious about a sticky mount that comes off.

Prime XD or whatever it's called

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok glue comes off with a knife no biggie. You can reuse the adhesive enough to figure out a placement. Video quality is great but audio is 100% useless, to the point i might send it back. I put one of the windscreen stickers on the mic but it didnt do much. Maybe i will try stacking a few of them. Way too much wind noise. Tbh im thinking of just wiring up my jacket for power and running an external mic instead. Idk

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Your head is in the wind, there's going to be wind noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah but it's to the point that it's clipping the audio which is not ok. However I was reading some Amazon reviews and apparently you need to have the rear cap installed or you'll get bad wind noise. I had the cap off as I was making adjustments. I'll take it for a spin later with the cap and the windscreen on and see how it does.

Now I have to buy a new PC, I don't have anything capable of editing 1080p right now. My laptop can't even play the videos it's too old heh. I just get a new frame every 15 seconds.

EDIT: What are you guys using to edit video? Do I need to learn Adobe Premier or is there something else people use?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 30, 2015

• Locked thread