Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Kenshin posted:

They are loud but meet it and see what you think, they're in the same family as Sun and Dusky conures which are clever and cuddly in general.

Unfortunately I can't meet the bird because he's 8 hours away. Friend is visiting his family, but he says the bird is friendly, just wants way more attention than the family wants to give it. I've liked sun conures I've played with, so I'm familiar with that at least. That's one reason I'm really hesitant, cause I know personally is really important.

Apparently she'll drive it up here to me but I can't turn her down if she does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Soylent Yellow posted:

I just had to cut my idiot bird out of one of his toys. He has one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043U2VNC/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I came home today to find him chewing on the strands at the top. He seemed quite engrossed with them, so I left him to it for a while. When I opened the cage door, he stayed there. I had a closer look, and he had somehow managed to get the strands tied around his neck and twisted into a noose. I had to cut him free, then unwrap the remaining strands from around his neck (which he wasn't too happy with me doing). He's now perched on my shoulder, and is super clingy in what I can only assume is a 'thanks for rescuing me' mood.

Oh man, that's so scary. I'm so glad he's okay!

CROWS EVERYWHERE I absolutely love all of your excited posts about Bitey and the adorable things s/he does, never stop :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wizard of Smart posted:

Charlie just had a poop that - while color and consistency seemed normal - didn't clear the vent all the way. It hung there for a bit until he ran around enough from me trying to grab it that it fell. This has me super worried now :ohdear:

Just keep an eye on it. Everyone has a weird poop from time to time.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

While I noodle over my Nanday decision, please enjoy this picture of my Sammy bird playing with a bottle cap

It's so cute watching him try to hold things.
CROWS EVERYWHERE, your stories are adorable, but I want more lovebird pictures! He sounds like the cutest :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm sure this has been done before but it's still :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shirec posted:

While I noodle over my Nanday decision, please enjoy this picture of my Sammy bird playing with a bottle cap

It's so cute watching him try to hold things.
CROWS EVERYWHERE, your stories are adorable, but I want more lovebird pictures! He sounds like the cutest :3:

Yeah, I need to take more pics of him! I've been sending Snapchats to everyone of him doing all sorts of cute things. Sitting in my shirt, squeaking, preening and stretching, sharpening his beak, hanging upside down on his swing. He really loves his swing :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 4, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shoulder parrot!

Head parrot!

Please ignore (not a full list) the lovely phone selfie camera quality, my acne, the bird poop on my top, and the atrocious lighting from the fluorescent light behind me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Armpit birb (he is a tickly birb):

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

omg :kimchi:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dual-bird action glasses!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Update: Potato-Pion will absolutely not leave my shoulder. Attempts to have her step over to the food, water and bath I have prepared are met with mixed feelings and confusion.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wanted to make some (unsalted) popcorn for myself and Pion.

I have never failed popping corn this badly before. They burnt so bad I had to put her back into the cage, so I could open every single window wide up.

Instead, have a seed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Wanted to make some (unsalted) popcorn for myself and Pion.

I have never failed popping corn this badly before. They burnt so bad I had to put her back into the cage, so I could open every single window wide up.

Instead, have a seed.

She looks sorta smug there. Like "ha ha, you failed at doing a thing, I'm gonna eat this seed."

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
No leads at the bird market, though we did almost come home with a superb parrot pair because they were quiet and curious and pretty as gently caress (but we are very much not looking for a pair and it's rude to split up bonded pairs).

But! I am calling a guy on Monday who has two maroon-bellied conures for sale and I know of two more breeders who are a bit far away but who have maroon-bellies and green-cheeks and all I have to do is somehow convince my boyfriend that getting a bird transported to us won't be cruel.

(Please help me convince him.)

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

painted bird posted:

No leads at the bird market, though we did almost come home with a superb parrot pair because they were quiet and curious and pretty as gently caress (but we are very much not looking for a pair and it's rude to split up bonded pairs).

But! I am calling a guy on Monday who has two maroon-bellied conures for sale and I know of two more breeders who are a bit far away but who have maroon-bellies and green-cheeks and all I have to do is somehow convince my boyfriend that getting a bird transported to us won't be cruel.

Tell him a goon said he has a fully functional bird that was flown to him at 10-weeks old on a 3 hour flight. He's an rear end in a top hat, but what parrot isn't?

(Flying birbs is common practice and not cruel at all)

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the bird would be driven, not flown. We're in Germany and while it's not impossible, I don't think many people bother flying from Bavaria to the Rhine valley when it's a 4-hour drive.

(We can't make the drive ourselves because there's a heatwave and I'm a cripple and my boyfriend is a lazy rear end.)

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Doublepost, but.

Whenever I talk to my budgies while looking at them, Gnosis puffs up briefly and then deflates again. Like a pufferfish. Does this mean anything.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

-Do you have to pay extra? (Would it be cheaper for him to go)
-How will they be transported (air conditioned vehicle? Especially since it's a heatwave)

They're so close that they're almost the same thing, but which species are you going to get, how old are they, are they hand raised, do you have pictures, etc :3:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know many details of the transport, it'd depend on the breeder. I assume it'd be done via an animal courier service and the vehicle woyld be climatized. It'd be more expensive but way less of a hassle. My partner works, so we can't go anywhere on a weekday and I can't drive and a 5-hour round trip sounds horrible.

As for the bird type, I don't know yet!! It depends on which ones are still available when I call and on whether we're going to try and get the bird next week or maybe wait a bit longer (until we have a cage, toys, food, time for the vet, etc.). The maroon-bellies I've seen so far are all wild-type, but fancy GCCs pop up more often. I think we'll take a GCC over a maroon-belly if only because I like GCC morphs more. :v: I want a turquoise GCC the most but I'll take yellow-sided, cinammon and pineapple too.

I feel bad that my preference is still for a boy but urgh, egg binding worries me.

I will definitely post pictures when we have a deposit down on a baby, though!

Also, I finally found an online store within Germany that has a good toy selection and decent prices. Going to order so many toys for the budgies and the hypothetical conure when I can. Bells everywhere. Never going to stop being weirded out by all the hippie herbal medicine stuff parrot shops offer, though.

A question: I know 1,0 and 0,1 are ways of designating bird sex but which one is which?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Five hours is nothing, especially for a birb you're gonna be stuck with for the next 30~ years or so. Do check about the delivery method (if they use a proper animal courier) though, there are other methods people send them by. (We have Steve's original packaging :3: )

I'd wait a bit longer until you have all the proper stuff for it and can put it in the nice cage from the start, but they're hardy little things and nothing really will happen if you can't wait. Nothing wrong with a sex preference either, but if you find a female turquoise GCC or whatever don't let it rule things out entirely!

1,0 is male, 0,1 is female

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

painted bird posted:

Doublepost, but.

Whenever I talk to my budgies while looking at them, Gnosis puffs up briefly and then deflates again. Like a pufferfish. Does this mean anything.

I take that as them being feeling comfortable and safe.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sekkira posted:

I take that as them being feeling comfortable and safe.

Yup. That and grinding the beak a little means they're super content.

Side note: We were out of the house most of the day yesterday so the birds were locked up a bit more than normal. To make up for it, my grey has literally been glued to me all day. I can't go into the kitchen without him squawking at me.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh. Small correction: I've been looking at crimson-bellied conures (P. perlata), though one breeder I found had maroon-bellied (P. frontalis) conures. I am easily confused.

(It doesn't help that the German name for P. perlata is "Rotbauchsittich". How was I supposed to know what kind of red that meant ...)

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

"Uh, do you mind? kind of in the middle of something here"

in other news Galileo is kind of(???) potty-trained. He seems to not want to poop on me and hasn't yet. However the way he communicates he needs to poop when I'm holding him is to chomp on my fingers until I either put him on my desk, the ground, or on top of his cage :nallears: guess it's better than nothing!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:siren:
Pion smacked into a curtain while flying about.

Clearly got a bruise and knocked some feathers/down off.

I put her back into the cage right away. She's still moving about, eating and occasionally squeaking, but I really have no idea how serious it is.

She won't let me touch her face so I can't remove the loose feather.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Introduced myself to the "big yellow bird" the other day. It turns out to be a parrot of some sort - maybe a ringneck? A lutino anyway. Plain yellow, no markings, lovely red eyes, long tail. The neighbour was out so I'll ask them next time I see them.

Everyone loves Bitey and he is enjoying being a cuddly shoulder, head, and sleeve parrot. He's been keeping my sleeping patterns regular by cheeping to wake me up if I try sleeping in past 8, and falling asleep on me at about 10ish at night. Good birb :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Introduced myself to the "big yellow bird" the other day. It turns out to be a parrot of some sort - maybe a ringneck? A lutino anyway. Plain yellow, no markings, lovely red eyes, long tail. The neighbour was out so I'll ask them next time I see them.

Everyone loves Bitey and he is enjoying being a cuddly shoulder, head, and sleeve parrot. He's been keeping my sleeping patterns regular by cheeping to wake me up if I try sleeping in past 8, and falling asleep on me at about 10ish at night. Good birb :kimchi:

did it look soulless and made out of clay?

if so, thats a ringneck

(apologies to any ringneck owners, but they creep me out)

(because they are soulless clay golem birds)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

did it look soulless and made out of clay?

if so, thats a ringneck

(apologies to any ringneck owners, but they creep me out)

(because they are soulless clay golem birds)

It did have a piercing and unblinking gaze! Parrots are almost as good as cats at staring. At least Bitey has big soulful black eyes, not creepy blue/white eyes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

How's she doing? :ohdear: Poor baby potato

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It did have a piercing and unblinking gaze! Parrots are almost as good as cats at staring. At least Bitey has big soulful black eyes, not creepy blue/white eyes.

You don't know fear until the crimson-eyed hell-stare of a Red Belly twists it's visage toward you. You freeze, hoping that it will not notice you, but in your heart you know, this is the end.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

How's she doing? :ohdear: Poor baby potato

The bruise on the cere is at least getting less red, probably developing some scar tissue, and I haven't noticed any particular changes in behavior. So I think everything is going to be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7Q2xJnhw0

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grraarrgghh posted:

You don't know fear until the crimson-eyed hell-stare of a Red Belly twists it's visage toward you. You freeze, hoping that it will not notice you, but in your heart you know, this is the end.

Birds that have eyes where you can see the pupil easily always look so manic and crazed to me after dark-eyed cockatiels.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tendai posted:

Birds that have eyes where you can see the pupil easily always look so manic and crazed

Thats because they are.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually find conure eyes really charming. Budgie eyes look a bit manic, though, I agree.

Also ringnecks are lovely. I seriously considered getting one in lieu of a conure.

If it's a lutino with no markings, then it's likely a girl ringneck, since they're dimorphic.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It was super hot again today, up to 34C-not sure what it is in apartment, but there's no AC and birds are in same room as computers that also gets the sun during the day and it's pretty warm in here. Steve didn't want a bath, Ohtori had a spray bath in the morning and a shower with me when we came home in the evening, and Inko had a bowl bath earlier in the day. He was panting a bit when we got back though-but he has two water bowls, isn't in sunlight, other birds are fine, etc so I'm not sure what to make of it. He didn't want another bath or a drink but I misted him a bit anyway, "in case"

nielsm posted:

Clearly got a bruise and knocked some feathers/down off.

I put her back into the cage right away. She's still moving about, eating and occasionally squeaking, but I really have no idea how serious it is.

She won't let me touch her face so I can't remove the loose feather.

Awww. You can carry her around and up to the mirrors and windows, show her them, get her to touch them with her beak so she recognises them and that they're not passable for future. Sometimes it seems like no sooner has the last one been wiped off, that Steve flies into a mirror and leaves a new wing or face imprint.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Awww. You can carry her around and up to the mirrors and windows, show her them, get her to touch them with her beak so she recognises them and that they're not passable for future. Sometimes it seems like no sooner has the last one been wiped off, that Steve flies into a mirror and leaves a new wing or face imprint.

I should perhaps try that. She's flown into that curtain several times already, in the three times I've had her out of the cage so far. Really, it's a white curtain lit by the morning sun, so basically a glowing wall. I guess birds are attracted to that?
Or maybe she's just noticed that I pull down the curtain and knows there's supposed to be nature past it. (There's a hedge of elderberry just across, which just so happens to be poisonous to parrots. Even the more reason to not attempt flying out.)

Something else, bathing. It seems Pion hates getting wet feet, always hurrying out whenever accidentally stepping in a water bowl. I've tried the water spray too, and it just seems to confuse her. No bathing-like behavior.
Am I doing something wrong? :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Is there something on, near, or behind the curtain? Does she want to land on it and just keeps loving up maybe? Try putting something on it or over it to give her a better way of judging distance and letting her know exactly how far she is from hitting it, like those bird stickers on windows.

nielsm posted:

Something else, bathing. It seems Pion hates getting wet feet, always hurrying out whenever accidentally stepping in a water bowl. I've tried the water spray too, and it just seems to confuse her. No bathing-like behavior.
Am I doing something wrong? :(

Nope, this is standard :derptiel: behaviour, just keep offering her and one day she'll eventually get it. Try different depths of bowl, or a plate to start, put green leafy foods in to play with, etc. Or lightly spray a gentle mist over her (spray up so it falls down on her) while she's somewhere she can just walk away from it easily and one day she'll stay underneath it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Is there something on, near, or behind the curtain? Does she want to land on it and just keeps loving up maybe? Try putting something on it or over it to give her a better way of judging distance and letting her know exactly how far she is from hitting it, like those bird stickers on windows.

Y'know that's probably it, it's a plain, white curtain with no features at all. I'll try getting some iron-on stickers or something for it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was out walking an hour ago and heard the loudest most ungodly squawking ever. I walk another 5 blocks and a guy was hanging out with two Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. I knew they were loud but I never figured they'd be THAT loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy is being kind of a dick today... She's had a mirror in her cage long before I had her and since I've had her she's loved the mirror. She liked ringing the bells on it to get my attention. Well today she started hissing at it and violently headbutting it. So I removed it. now she's purposely standing IN her food dish and every time she takes a step it spills everywhere, which is only getting her attention and making her do it more lol. The joys of a six month old birb