Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Saint Drogo posted:

This game hinges on a gentleman's agreement not to do 99.99% of the things the rules say you can do.

This needs to be the new thread title.

With an extra bit saying that the gentleman's 4+ agreement can be modified by fateweaver, or by the triumph table if you say you won a game at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The Grail Vow: You can re-roll all failed
hit rolls for this unit if, before rolling the
dice, you hold aloft a grail or goblet and
shout ‘For the Lady’ in a heroic voice.

Literally beer and pretzels design

What was that edition of Magic: The Gathering, was it called Unhinged? It was the one that required shrill nerds to yell very stupid things as loud as they could in order to get certain bonuses.

It was the worst thing. People left the store in incredulous terror, myself included.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GW rejects your ideas of competition and demands that you shake on it and have a fun evening of pretend.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It feels like GW is intentionally trying to outdo how awful every new piece of information about this game is. Like, at some point you'd expect at least something cool to come out of this, but beginning from the announcement of AoS, through the big reveal of the STORMCAST ETERNALS, and now all this corny warscroll poo poo, there's literally nothing redeeming about this whole shitpile. This is impossibly bad.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Will the future releases be goony as gently caress or are they just having the old ones like this as a "gently caress you buy new stuff" I wonder

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Imagine I just quoted every one of SeriousGaylord's posts over the last four months.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's an entire warscroll for scenery

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lord Twisted posted:

With an extra bit saying that the gentleman's 4+ agreement can be modified by fateweaver, or by the triumph table if you say you won a game at some point

Holy loving poo poo I forgot about the Triumph table.

You could in theory use the Triumph table to instant win the Bell roll, but the ultimate punchline would be for my opponent to claim that Oracle of Eternity counts as a modifier for the Bell, we Most Important Rule roll-off to determine whether it is or not, I change the MIR rule due to Blessed, and then business as usual. 2 successive rolls to determine whether or not I win the game, and I can ignore both of them.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Lord Twisted posted:

Honest question:
Do you even need an Age of Sigmar thread at this point?

Like, I know it's tradition, but this is not a game that has rules. It's an unplayable mess. Are any of you even interested in playing this with rules as written and expecting it to be a compelling or fun game?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
More, more, more!

Slaanesh is the Chaos God of Excess. Before the game, calculate both players' Body Mass Index. For every point of BMI you have over your opponent you gain one reroll that may be used at any time.

had you going for a second there

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Sworn Guardians:
Temple Guard were created to protect their masters. If this unit is within 8" of any Seraphon Heroes, add 2 to its Bravery and 1 to the result of any save rolls for it.

"Lets see, I have 10 units of Temple Guard within range of my Kroq-gar on Carnosaur. He now has a -6+ armor save. I automatically save all non-mortal wounds unless you have Rending -8."

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

This seems amazing if the game was totally new and came with all the cheapo models you'd need to play so stupidly. This being the decision they made over fantasy is absolutely baffling.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Lord Mazdamundi ........................Engine of the Gods

"Replace this Slann with a Stegadon carrying an old arcane thing. They're the same thing."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Lets see, I have 10 units of Temple Guard within range of my Kroq-gar on Carnosaur. He now has a -6+ armor save. I automatically save all non-mortal wounds unless you have Rending -8."

"It's cool I have a unit of 10 Stormfiends who can automatically hit you at range for 20 d3's worth of mortal wounds."

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
I really loving hope that the actual rules will be released tomorrow and that all this poo poo is a parody about how loving stupid games workshop is aaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Nash posted:

Will the future releases be goony as gently caress or are they just having the old ones like this as a "gently caress you buy new stuff" I wonder

#2. Such a poo poo bird move

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I dont

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

"It's cool I have a unit of 10 Stormfiends who can automatically hit you at range for 20 d3's worth of mortal wounds."

Meanwhile Ricky the Empire player is off in the corner, measuring his pube-y mustache and pretending to ride a horse.

Welcome to the Age of Sigmar. Leave your rules (and money) at the door.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Replace this Slann with a Stegadon carrying an old arcane thing. They're the same thing."
Old style vermin lords now count as any of the four End Times vermin lords. cool beans in 8th ed, now everything is measured from the model and the old vermin lord model is like 1/5 the size of the new one.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Locomotive breath posted:

Meanwhile Ricky the Empire player is off in the corner, measuring his pube-y mustache and pretending to ride a horse.

Welcome to the Age of Sigmar. Leave your rules (and money) sanity at the door.

ftfy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Empire Cannons are only a 40" range now but can fire twice as long as they have 2 or 3 Crew left. 4+ to hit, 2+ to wound, still D6 wounds. You can reroll all failed Hits if you have an Engineer within 1".

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Why the gently caress would anyone allow this poo poo in their stores?

A parent with a young child go into a GW store, almost buy something, but goons start sporadically screaming and insulting each other, which causes the family to run out of the store.

Looking forward to bringing a bottle of whiskey to the GW store for my Bugman's rules

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Supposing Warpfire Projectors actually read as 2D3 mortal wounds per shot, which might not actually be the way it reads (holy gently caress that rule is a mess), since the shooting rules do not restrict you from targetting multiple units, "deploy a unit of 200 Stormfiends and take the first turn" is a pretty viable strategy.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Desperately trying to cancel my preorder with my FLGS, I was going to give it a shot before these warscrolls fully revealed the idiocy in this game.

Not one more dime to GW, for this or 40k.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So all the monsters I've seen so far have 10+ wounds, which would normally prevent them from being killed by a single cannon in one turn. Except now cannons can fire twice. Not that it matters since you can just take 20 cannons anyway.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Blood sacrifice: You and your opponent agree on a murder-suicide pact roll off to see who goes first.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"A GW employee gave his out as temporary army construction."

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Step 1: Buy Tomb Swarms
Step 2: Deploy Tomb Swarms as your only unit, claim sudden death and endure
Step 3: Burrow
Step 4: Let opponent play solitaire for six turns
Step 5: You win (the rules aren't clear on whether you even need to unborrow because nowhere does it define whether burrowed models are "in play" or not)

Slightly less powerful but more legit than forcing two dice to roll a 13 in the first turn.
It's also more hilarious because you are wasting someone elses time.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I'd be willing to get really drunk and try this with friends, but even if we want to make a fair and balanced battle we have no idea how to judge that. Maybe use the old points for the units? Even that won't work I think.

It just blows my mind that people at GW thought, the public is gonna love this!

Also, lizardmen are now keyworded as daemons.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, remember that Chaos guy who was loving apoplectic over GW "screwing Chaos out of a victory" with Age of Sigmar?

I wonder what he thinks of these rules. :allears:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
i don't think this will come as a shock to anyone but the more expensive models seem to have strictly superior rules to the cheaper ones (for the most part)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
$250 starter box.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So....anyone want to play x wangs yet? The starter set also has free rules and you can also make pew pew laser noises for rerolls.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to a tournament with these people in a week. This might be insufferable. (all nerds are insufferable)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zwiebel posted:

Step 1: Buy Tomb Swarms
Step 2: Deploy Tomb Swarms as your only unit, claim sudden death and endure
Step 3: Burrow
Step 4: Let opponent play solitaire for six turns
Step 5: You win (the rules aren't clear on whether you even need to unborrow because nowhere does it define whether burrowed models are "in play" or not)

Slightly less powerful but more legit than forcing two dice to roll a 13 in the first turn.
It's also more hilarious because you are wasting someone elses time.

Good gumption, but you're a little presumptuous with it being "more legit" than the Oracle/Bell combo. See the major victory rules:

quote:

In the Mortal Realms battles are brutal
and uncompromising – they are fought to
the bitter end, with one side able to claim
victory because it has destroyed its foe
or there are no enemy models leŽft on the
field of battle.  The victor can immediately
claim a major victory and the honours
and triumphs that are due to them, while
the defeated must repair to their lair to lick
their wounds and bear the shame of failure.

A Tomb Swarm could, in theory, start deployed then burrow on turn 1 never to return, but the other player will instantly win. Supposing they disappeared on the bottom of Turn 6, then there would be an immediate argument over who won the game.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm going to a tournament with these people in a week. This might be insufferable. (all nerds are insufferable)

Warseer posted:

I really like the warscrolls I've been reading and I absolutely giving this a go in the morning

AoS is absolutely not the super-serious style wargame we are used to, it's a fundamentally different animal altogether, I actually think it's unique in the wargame market and that's why it might just work, it will draw in people that the current crop of games with their 'up their own rear end' rule sets, balanced point systems and complex tactica just don't.

It's not about list building or net-listing or breaking the game through ridiculous gamey combinations which seems to dog almost every other wargame ever, it's throw down some models (in some cases, talk to them), perhaps shout some random words or make stupid gestures, then mash them all together in the middle of the table and see who is left standing at the end.

I'm not even sure if I'll like it yet, but at the very least I'm going to try it, the very fact that Gw are being this creative with a whole new game is actually quite refreshing.

The only advice I can give you is get it out of your head that GW owes you a new game, if you want to try it, then give it a whirl (it's free after all), if not the market is totally saturated with alternative 'rod-up-the-backside' style Wargames to choose from.

:psyduck: what would GW have to do? what would they actually have to do? I got a White Dwarf subscription when I was seven and I don't understand these loving people.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You know, I'm not sure this spoon full of poo poo tastes bad, but I haven't tried it yet either.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Broken Loose posted:

A Tomb Swarm could, in theory, start deployed then burrow on turn 1 never to return, but the other player will instantly win. Supposing they disappeared on the bottom of Turn 6, then there would be an immediate argument over who won the game.

Ah, that's fair.
I guess you'd have to actually play some other models in order for something like this to be a viable auto-win, summoning more tomb swarms each turn and unburrowing them out of reach or whatever.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 4, 2015

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
The best thing is Slann summoning Kroq-gar

Lizardman Warscroll posted:

Summon Saurus Warlord
Summon Saurus Warlord has a casting
value of 10. If successfully cast, you can
set up Kroq-Gar on Carnosaur within 15"
of the caster and more than 9" from any
enemy models. The model is added to your
army but cannot move in the following
movement phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Which table top war games are considered 'rod-up-the-backside' style?

• Locked thread