Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I tried to rush to the end and I'm having a bit of trouble getting through the rift. What's a good place to grind in world 3?

EDIT: Party is Monk/Zerk/Ninja/Sam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

David Corbett posted:

As for my WM/MK/Geo/Sam run, I'm poised to enter the Void. I ended up running from magic pots to maximise the chicken knife. Omniscient was awkward when I discovered that Gaia counted as a physical attack, but I stacked elf cape/main gauche/blink and berserked him to finish that one off. I cleaned out Istory Falls, but left Leviathan be. Wendigo died the same way I always kill Wendigo: burying him in money.

For future reference, you can just use Silence blade with your MK and beat Omniscient to death.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

code:
GOBLIN PUNCH
Damage = Weapon Goblin Punch Damage (if 2-Handed, add GP Damage from 
each hand.  Dbl Grip has no effect)
Damage = Damage - Defense
If Target Level = Attacker Level, Defense = 0
Damage = Damage * M
M = (Strength*Level)/128 + 2
If Target Level = Attacker Level, M = M * 8
No Back Row Modifications
Hit% = 100%
Attack Element becomes None

Wait, same-level Goblin Punches ignore defense? :aaaaa:

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Any place to get rods in world 2?

Got my last job so now I have Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Dragoon.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks to everyone who recommended reflecting death for necrophobe fight. Worked like a charm!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, same-level Goblin Punches ignore defense? :aaaaa:

Just Dark Spark both the enemy and yourself to L1 and you're set!

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Shinryu, berserk on first cast, blink, golem, boosted syldra, easy every time.

I had too many levels trying to grind to beat Omega but I got bored. At level 53 with Sum/WHM, NED definitely wasn't gonna be a problem. I think he got a Vacuum Wave that got absorbed by Golem, and an Almagest I didn't bother healing because why waste the time.

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?

zolthorg posted:

Try giving the Samurai the Aegis Shield to get an extra turn and or using them to toss an elixir or two, I forget if corpses can still reflect ring spells or not.

You can also try farming an extra bone mail (but this makes them weak to fire so they need a flame shield) or a lamia tiara for the black mage (hat that prevents confusion)

You can also try prepping the Magic Lamp and the Wonder Wand with different things if you really want the crown. Magic Lamp could have Carbuncle allowing you to use the flame rings and directly attacking omega to heal a bit, or sylph for a pittance heal that might be just enough, or Phoenix if you can get situations where the Samurai (Flame Shield) survives past the 4th turn but the other two die

No clue what spell would work best on the wonder rod, maybe attack omega with it set to regen and reset until it reflects onto the samurai?
Or go with a flame ring aegis shield samurai and use it to reflect Reflect onto the samurai. Or Shell to reduce magic /status hitrates

Whatever you do if you manage to do this i'd emulator record it or gooncam record it as it sounds like a legendary battle with the RNG

It seems like the Magic Lamp is incapable of summoning Phoenix, at least according to the wiki. I've been trying the Omega fight with prepped Magic Lamp Carbuncle, though, and it's really nice for freeing up the accessory slot. Unfortunately, Carbuncle casts Reflect on the zombie 'Zerker, so Thundaga reflects 4 times and triggers Omega's counter script. Interestingly, if you target your whole party with Thundaga and some of them are dead, it doesn't reflect off of their corpse, but the glitch still works.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Schwartzcough posted:

For future reference, you can just use Silence blade with your MK and beat Omniscient to death.

:aaaaa:
That's brilliant. Glad that there's a better way to deal with that rear end in a top hat than float-like-a-butterfly, sting-like-a-...white mage.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Any suggestions for NED vs. Dragoon/dragoon/red mage/geomancer? It feels like I hit a wall finally here because of my lack of outgoing damage.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Koobes posted:

Any suggestions for NED vs. Dragoon/dragoon/red mage/geomancer? It feels like I hit a wall finally here because of my lack of outgoing damage.

Equip everyone with geomancy and air knife. Laugh at people who call it useless. Do decent damage to every part.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Koobes posted:

Protect and the backrow will soften Ned's physical attacks, and the magic casting part can be killed instantly by summoning Odin with the Magic Lamp. For Almagest, you could try to time your jumps so you'll avoid the attack, or you could simply tank it if your Dragoons have enough health. I don't think there's much you can do about Grand Cross, except being lucky.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Does team composition have any effect on how difficult it is to flee? Because team White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer / Chemist seems to have a harder time than I usually do running away from things.

Well, I'm also keeping my levels a bit lower than I have been for the past two runs. I'm only up to 25-26 at Exdeath's Castle (I was over level 40 for the first one because that's how high I needed to go to beat Sandworm with only Berserkers, and at least level 30 for the second because I had a Blue Mage I was trying to teach level spells to). In fact, I'm only as high as I am because I went farming for a few Dragon Fangs at Drakenvale (only 20-25 or so, and that alone put me up 2-3 levels).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

Does team composition have any effect on how difficult it is to flee? Because team White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer / Chemist seems to have a harder time than I usually do running away from things.

Well, I'm also keeping my levels a bit lower than I have been for the past two runs. I'm only up to 25-26 at Exdeath's Castle (I was over level 40 for the first one because that's how high I needed to go to beat Sandworm with only Berserkers, and at least level 30 for the second because I had a Blue Mage I was trying to teach level spells to). In fact, I'm only as high as I am because I went farming for a few Dragon Fangs at Drakenvale (only 20-25 or so, and that alone put me up 2-3 levels).

Nope. Every specific encounter has a set percent chance to flee, and this is checked periodically as you are running away.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nope. Every specific encounter has a set percent chance to flee, and this is checked periodically as you are running away.

I suppose that tracks. Generally the monsters in Exdeath's Castle are jerks about letting you flee.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

I suppose that tracks. Generally the monsters in Exdeath's Castle are jerks about letting you flee.

Yeah. For example, you know that horrifying triple blue dragon formation?

code:
F238   15   20  Y  Y  BlueDragon, BlueDragon (B), BlueDragon (B)
From left to right: the hex code for the encounter, the AP gained from it, the %chance to flee, whether you can cast Mute, whether you can get back attack/preemptive attacked, and the contents of the encounter.

The algorithms guide is useful. :eng101:

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
So I have a Classic Job Run with Black Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Black Mage. I just beat it, but I have a question; is Omega possible? I don't think Shinryu is but Omega may be.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've never gotten that encounter, actually! And thank gently caress for that.

Anyway, Exdeath is down, with the Chemist once again being the MVP. Gaia Gear + Titan from two characters with Summon is pretty strong, but Goliath Tonic + Holy Breath is just so fun against a target that's weak to Holy. :v:

EDIT: Holy. That reminds me. I'm going to need to do the Magic Tower this time for my White Mage. And that means the Wind Shrine too. Crap. :negative:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 4, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Goliath Tonic + Holy Breath is just so fun against a target that's weak to Holy. :v:

And how!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Double Rabite posted:

So I have a Classic Job Run with Black Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Black Mage. I just beat it, but I have a question; is Omega possible? I don't think Shinryu is but Omega may be.

If you're not on Android/iOS, Shinryu should be possible via Mirage Vest glitch and Berserk via Power Staff or Wonder Wand.

Omega, though... pretty sure it's not gonna happen.

!Summon on a staff-using class can get damage like that by breaking Staves of Light, though I'll grant that the !Mix solution is more repeatable. :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

To the guy who told me to gimp my zerks until bard maxed all my stats, you're awesome. I had no idea tree ex death wouldn't do anything until I actually hit him. That fight went from annoying to funny super quick. Onto run#2, maybe go for a triple crown this time!

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Double Rabite posted:

Should be, though painful. Put a reflect ring on one person, hermes sandals on the rest, probably Lamia Tiaras on everyone to prevent confuse from rocket punch. Dualcast Thundaga and race him. Should just become a question of how many levels you feel like grinding, and maybe a bit of luck with his first few moves/possible encircle counters.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Edward_Tohr posted:

If you're not on Android/iOS, Shinryu should be possible via Mirage Vest glitch and Berserk via Power Staff or Wonder Wand.

Black Balloon posted:

Should be, though painful. Put a reflect ring on one person, hermes sandals on the rest, probably Lamia Tiaras on everyone to prevent confuse from rocket punch. Dualcast Thundaga and race him. Should just become a question of how many levels you feel like grinding, and maybe a bit of luck with his first few moves/possible encircle counters.

I've been trying 4 reflect rings, but 1 ring and 3 hermes sandals may work. Can't dualcast Thundaga since it is a classic run.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Double Rabite posted:

I've been trying 4 reflect rings, but 1 ring and 3 hermes sandals may work. Can't dualcast Thundaga since it is a classic run.

Right, sorry. Still doable I think.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Shinryu down via Quicksap. That took so much less time than Omega.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Only downside to my awesome team (White/Summoner/Geo/Chemist): No alternate attack method for Chicken Knifing. If I want to use it I have to risk the 25% run chance.

...actually that works out well enough, running tends to be a bitch with this team anyway, given how long it seems to take with this rather fragile team.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Well, now I'm in The Void proper. Only Necrophobe, Shinryuu and Exdeath left. I'm amazed about what chumplike deaths Exdeath's minions suffered. So for Shinryuu (WM/MK/GEO/SAM)!it's berserk him and keep your guys blinked, right? Then just beat his dumb rear end into the ground?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

David Corbett posted:

Well, now I'm in The Void proper. Only Necrophobe, Shinryuu and Exdeath left. I'm amazed about what chumplike deaths Exdeath's minions suffered. So for Shinryuu (WM/MK/GEO/SAM)!it's berserk him and keep your guys blinked, right? Then just beat his dumb rear end into the ground?

That's your safest bet, yeah.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where's the best place to grind for exp and money outside of the rift? Since there's no quick way out once you go in, I'm going to need to grind a bunch to have enough supplies to make it to the end.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

That's your safest bet, yeah.

Cool. I can mount the Ragnarok on the wall, seeing as I can neither throw it nor equip it. I get a heart, though!

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

djw175 posted:

Equip everyone with geomancy and air knife. Laugh at people who call it useless. Do decent damage to every part.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Protect and the backrow will soften Ned's physical attacks, and the magic casting part can be killed instantly by summoning Odin with the Magic Lamp. For Almagest, you could try to time your jumps so you'll avoid the attack, or you could simply tank it if your Dragoons have enough health. I don't think there's much you can do about Grand Cross, except being lucky.

Thanks guys! This was painful but I did it thanks to your suggestions!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How frequently does Shinryu attack? My strategy is Coral Rings to survive the opening Tidal Wave, then Reflect from a Wonder Wand, then Quickleak him to death. Team is Time/Geo/Ranger/Dragoon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

How frequently does Shinryu attack? My strategy is Coral Rings to survive the opening Tidal Wave, then Reflect from a Wonder Wand, then Quickleak him to death. Team is Time/Geo/Ranger/Dragoon.

Why not just come in with Hermes Sandals on the Time Mage and a Reflect Ring on anyone else? Any class can out-speed the opening Tidal Wave.

E: Hell, you don't even need the Ring - the reason you need it for Omega is because he has innate Reflect. Shinryu has no such impediment.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, does Quicksap skip over the second phase of ExDeath if you use it on him?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, does Quicksap skip over the second phase of ExDeath if you use it on him?

Nope, as I recall the only thing that prevents React:Death scripts is Berserk in the SNES version.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You can skip Neo Exdeath on the Advance version with a Canoneer, but that's obviously not an option in the FJF.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Hermes Sandals, a Wonder Wand or Power Staff and a pile of Phoenix Downs always works for me against Shinryu, I don't know why you'd QuickVenom him, he can only take out one target at a time.

Any tricks on Archaeoavis with a 4 bard party? Adamantoise was difficult enough; right now I think I have to go out and grind a bunch of elixirs. Once I kill him I'm home free, but having just a Main Gauche and 3 Mage Mashers for damage is brutal.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's victory and a triple crown for my first time through the fiesta and the game in general! I don't think I'll do the extra dungeon stuff though as while this team eventually found an effective set of strategies, it got rather tedious having to dance my way to victory and occasionally getting a string of bad luck. Nevertheless, doing about 16000 damage per sword dance with Bartz is stupid and the occasional about 10000 more with Lenna via Dancing Dagger is icing on the cake.

Monk also went from "hold A to win" to glorified item supplier. At least the monk had the most durability out of the team?

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 4, 2015

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If I get monk during my next fiesta run I am going to job fair it away because when you get to the last third of the game the fun dips dramatically. Not having any sort of magic or anything close to magic (aside from ninja scrolls) probably contributes to this.

Ninja scrolls are kinda nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

The good news: I destroyed Shinryu. Slowly. :smug:

The bad news: Neo Exdeath absolutely crushed my team (WM/MK/GEO/SAM). Just what the heck do I need to do in order to beat him? I smashed Tree!Exdeath's face in and even had time to buff my team up before finishing him off, but I had absolutely no luck against the big bad himself. I'm at about Level 40... do I just need to do more level grinding?

(I hope the below picture is good enough. Shinryu doesn't really have a decent death animation, so I missed it entirely.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread