Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Several of the WoW progression guilds I've been in were fanatical about DPS/healing meters, to the point where timing and situational awareness were seen at best as excuses. Other guilds were smart about it. I don't think it's a universal issue, but I think it's lovely enough to not want to see it again.

I play a tank, I usually do roulettes solo, and I'll take the occasional wipe due to low DPS over occasional douchey behavior. It's possible that FFXIV's generally kinder community would generally see meters for what they are, a tool for potential improvement. That said, if I'm at a point where DPS matters that much, I'm probably running with folks who are at least amenable to hearing data from a member of the raid, if they're not running ACT themselves. The Fight Club approach works well enough when it matters, and things like CT have been set up to emphasize raid mechanics over optimal rotation efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"What's your dps, I know you can see it"

Just leave this poo poo alone, the only way to keep it from being toxic as gently caress in game is to make it bannable to even talk about it in the game. I had enough of it in wow, and it's probably the biggest selling point this game has.

People want to know if I am actually doing my job in this cooperative video game so we can successfully defeat encounters and not waste the time of three/seven other people?
TOXIC
PROBLEMATIC
I'M BEING TRIGGERED

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Actually I only play the game so I can be in the dark and spend 2 hours wiping on Ravana(hard).

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

isk posted:

Several of the WoW progression guilds I've been in were fanatical about DPS/healing meters, to the point where timing and situational awareness were seen at best as excuses. Other guilds were smart about it. I don't think it's a universal issue, but I think it's lovely enough to not want to see it again.

I play a tank, I usually do roulettes solo, and I'll take the occasional wipe due to low DPS over occasional douchey behavior. It's possible that FFXIV's generally kinder community would generally see meters for what they are, a tool for potential improvement. That said, if I'm at a point where DPS matters that much, I'm probably running with folks who are at least amenable to hearing data from a member of the raid, if they're not running ACT themselves. The Fight Club approach works well enough when it matters, and things like CT have been set up to emphasize raid mechanics over optimal rotation efficiency.

I've had that opinion for ages (never was in a guild where DPS meters were that important but that's a garbage guild to begin with) but when I zone into Aery and do quite literally half the party's damage as the tank because the two DPS can't break 250 is just too much.

It's not even occasional. I had a Summoner today (in Fractal) whose abilties used were
Ruin 3 without Dreadwyrm
Painflare
Dreadwyrm Stance and immediately Deathflare
Ruin 1 once out of MP to use Ruin 3.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
What is the best dps meter to use right now?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

I've had that opinion for ages (never was in a guild where DPS meters were that important but that's a garbage guild to begin with) but when I zone into Aery and do quite literally half the party's damage as the tank because the two DPS can't break 250 is just too much.

It's not even occasional. I had a Summoner today whose abilties used were
Ruin 3 without Dreadwyrm
Painflare

Hes playing a nuke summoner, you can't tell people how to live their life!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pews posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pews posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker(ACT) with the rainbow mage overlay plugin

If there's interest I could write up a crash course in some html and you guys could customize the overlay yourself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
its me

im the nin that forgets to turn on poisons

dont metershame

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm a little annoyed that the box on the side doesn't change based on the design of the gun (or color scheme), so it's nice to find something that can match.

At the very least if you have a gun that can be dyed, like the Magitek gun or the Doman gun, both the box and your Gauss Barrel will be dyed too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kitfox88 posted:

its me

im the nin that forgets to turn on poisons

dont metershame

What up poison forgetting buddy.

I'm against meters though, mostly because they don't actually fix the fundamental problem with bad DPS, which is either a refusal to learn how their abilities work or an inability to learn/keep up with mechanics. Just having a number doesn't tell anyway what's wrong, only that something is wrong.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

KaneTW posted:

dude this isn't how it works

forums poster bauxite who can't tell what the pointy bit of a weapon is just can't do single "lol" replies

do you have a shitposting meter that tells you what I'm doing wrong, I'd like some input

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

do you have a shitposting meter that tells you what I'm doing wrong, I'd like some input

yes, you're still alive and breathing

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kwyndig posted:

What up poison forgetting buddy.

I'm against meters though, mostly because they don't actually fix the fundamental problem with bad DPS, which is either a refusal to learn how their abilities work or an inability to learn/keep up with mechanics. Just having a number doesn't tell anyway what's wrong, only that something is wrong.

just a cursory glance at data from act/recount/various dps meters gives you individual ability numbers and poo poo and you can immediately figure out what's wrong with someones dps if you're familiar with the class and help them

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of meters and dps and everyone sucking, how does wildfire work? it's just functionally a 20 percent damage increase, right?

the language is sort of unclear if the 20 percent damage is 'set aside' during the timer and dealt at the end, or if you're dealing full damage the whole time and then 20 percent of whatever you did gets tacked on at the end. i want to say it's the latter because the former wouldn't actually do anything, but i'm not sure.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

KaneTW posted:

It's not even occasional. I had a Summoner today (in Fractal) whose abilties used were
Ruin 3 without Dreadwyrm
Painflare

Yep, it's bad, and it seems to be getting worse the further we're out from EA. I won't go into specifics, but I've seen similar levels of awful as recent as last night. And probably will, if I keep solo queueing in DR. I just don't think DR is usually a productive place to have a conversation about DPS meters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tenzarin posted:

If there's interest I could write up a crash course in some html and you guys could customize the overlay yourself.

Please do because I don't understand technology

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Countblanc posted:

Please do because I don't understand technology

CSS mother fucker, do you speak it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tarranon posted:

or we could just resign ourselves to only doing content when the echo drops, that throws dps checks right the frick out the window :v. I've never seen a T12 group get five bennu post echo, and that was one of the hardest DPS checks I've ever seen in the game

Start resigning, the producers are fairly open about thinking people that want meters are poo poo tier human beings that deserve no respect. Like you could make the most logical and reasoned argument in the world and it doesn't matter because the people making the game don't give a gently caress. This isn't a discussion, because one side isn't listening.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Start resigning, the producers are fairly open about thinking people that want meters are poo poo tier human beings that deserve no respect. Like you could make the most logical and reasoned argument in the world and it doesn't matter because the people making the game don't give a gently caress. This isn't a discussion, because one side isn't listening.

Yep any discussion of the game that isn't directly relayed to Yoshi-P himself is worthless. That's it boys I guess we can close up shop here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pews posted:

Yep any discussion of the game that isn't directly relayed to Yoshi-P himself is worthless. That's it boys I guess we can close up shop here.

well it's not a discussion, it's just me making a post and the thread blowing the gently caress up about it while no one who can do anything about it would ever give a poo poo

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Boogaleeboo posted:

We already have meters and live in a world of meters, I just want the common man to be able to benefit as well

I am of the people, that way

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

We already have meters and live in a world of meters, I just want the common man to be able to benefit as well

I am of the people, that way

1% of players do 93% of the game's dps. Occupy Ishgard

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Did Yoshi P take an Atma-shaped poo poo in your Cheerios this morning

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Tenzarin posted:

For some reason that is probably easily fixable, my game runs a lot better in Fullscreen mode versus Windowed mode. I suppose I could just get used to alt-tabbing or invest in a second monitor.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

vanbags posted:

For some reason that is probably easily fixable, my game runs a lot better in Fullscreen mode versus Windowed mode. I suppose I could just get used to alt-tabbing or invest in a second monitor.

Disable aero and desktop composition.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eej posted:

Did Yoshi P take an Atma-shaped poo poo in your Cheerios this morning

I love the game and don't care about meters [ilvl gating generally does that job well enough], it's just the producers have been massively clear over a period of years about both not wanting them and being willing to ban for having third party tools. So it's pretty much always going to be the way it is now: "Illegal" third party programs to do it, the majority not having it, and it meaning sweet gently caress all either way. You can of course keep talking about the issue, it's just....resolved.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
If someone could explain how to set act up because I am a lazy worthless tool that would be great, I want to shame bad people

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is Alexander this tuesday? I thought it was 4 weeks after launch.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Alexander extreme or hard or savage or whatever is 4 weeks after, iirc. Normal mode is tuesday

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love the game and don't care about meters [ilvl gating generally does that job well enough], it's just the producers have been massively clear over a period of years about both not wanting them and being willing to ban for having third party tools. So it's pretty much always going to be the way it is now: "Illegal" third party programs to do it, the majority not having it, and it meaning sweet gently caress all either way. You can of course keep talking about the issue, it's just....resolved.

I don't think ilevel gating does anything but get in the way. Being i180 doesn't mean much when you still parse sub-200...

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

mogs pls

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Those quests are truly a moogle masterpiece.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At least they had the decency of giving you the majority of those quests after you get flying.

Compared to the HinterlandsForelands where I had to walk around the same hill seven times because Tailfeather only has an east and a north exit and they have a small camp to the northwest :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 4, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

EponymousMrYar posted:

At least they had the decency of giving you the majority of those quests after you get flying.

Compared to the Hinterlands where I had to walk around the same hill seven times because Tailfeather only has an east and a north exit and they have a small camp to the northwest :shepicide:

Think you meant the Forelands here, but the Hinterlands have an equally awful issue on the west side where you gotta follow that winding road down to the same river for like 3 quests that have to all be turned in at Idylshire :argh:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There aren't many 58 quests. This is not fun.

Time to grind out Vault I guess.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

EponymousMrYar posted:

Compared to the Hinterlands where I had to walk around the same hill seven times because Tailfeather only has an east and a north exit and they have a small camp to the northwest :shepicide:

That quest chain where you get the starter hunter a hunter partner has given me a nervous tic for the eastern half of the forelands

any time I'm on ground there I reflexively hit my mount key and fly away in disgust

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

If this thread never talked about parsing or meters again, I wouldn't be too upset about it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

Think you meant the Forelands here, but the Hinterlands have an equally awful issue on the west side where you gotta follow that winding road down to the same river for like 3 quests that have to all be turned in at Idylshire :argh:

At least it's not current-hunting in the Sea of Clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This happened in High Roulette the other day.

White Cake asked me to marry her, Raspberry Muffin wanted me to renounce my FC and join hers, and Blueberry Muffin made several sexual passes at me.

Good party.

• Locked thread