Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bacontotem posted:

Skynet claims to evolve in seconds and Cameron has said that if he could rewrite it Skynet would regret killing humans

This is really stupid so I'm glad he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blablablabla posted:

Wow the movie was loving awful. Yo Skynet maybe you should kill Reese and Sarah instead of hugging it out.

I got a feeling that John Connor and Skynet weren't really one, at least not the skynet of that timeline.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

He said he could kill Sarah the problem was Arnold had his hand on the detonator to a bomb that would have killed them both.

Yeah you're right. But he was only postulating that them dying would not result in his disappearance. He didn't know for sure.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Riven posted:

Yeah you're right. But he was only postulating that them dying would not result in his disappearance. He didn't know for sure.

As much as I enjoyed the movie it's very tough to discern a theory that makes sense as to why Connor didn't kill the two right there given his behavior. If they need to live for him to exist he would at least go through the trouble of ensuring their safety from Judgement Day.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Panzeh posted:

As much as I enjoyed the movie it's very tough to discern a theory that makes sense as to why Connor didn't kill the two right there given his behavior. If they need to live for him to exist he would at least go through the trouble of ensuring their safety from Judgement Day.

Connor fully believes that he's the good guy, and that these two are his relatives. He literally holds out his hand and offers to turn them into superhumans, because he loves them. These two specific people are not actually his parents in this timeline, however, so there's no paradox if he kills them.

The film takes the Genesis name seriously. You have Adam and Eve ashamed of their nakedness, and so-on. The film is not about 'Judgement Day', but the flood.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The movie gave a reason why Conner didnt kill them in the scene in the hospital. Conner said he wanted to offer a "truce" which Judgement day happens and skynet rules the world.

This is not a very convincing reason.

^^^^

Yeah the hey they are my relatives and i love them doesnt really fly when turning them into superhumans involves about 3 billion people dying.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

So who sent Pops back in time to when Sarah was 9?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Victorkm posted:

So who sent Pops back in time to when Sarah was 9?

Hollywood.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Why didn't Terminator Connor just use his nanomachines to assimilate Sarah and Kyle? At the end when he stabbed his finger into Sarah's neck or whatever he was doing I totally thought that's what he was going to do.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
John Connor looks like Chief O'Brien from Star Trek so much that I had to look it up and make sure Jason Clarke and Colm Meaney weren't related after I got home.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shima Honnou posted:

John Connor looks like Chief O'Brien from Star Trek so much that I had to look it up and make sure Jason Clarke and Colm Meaney weren't related after I got home.

The entire plot of Genisys happens because the universe is enforcing its most ironclad rule--"O'Brien Must Suffer".

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Why didn't Terminator Connor just use his nanomachines to assimilate Sarah and Kyle? At the end when he stabbed his finger into Sarah's neck or whatever he was doing I totally thought that's what he was going to do.

Why didn't terminator Conner do a billion loving things instead of walk menencingly walk toward the two and talk a lot? How many ways can someone say "you can't stop me?"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's funny how John Connor's plans don't go beyond the events of T1 despite the fact that he should've met a T-1000 and a friendly T-800 from an even more future Future War when he was young. (To say nothing of the T-X and the other friendly T-800 from T3.) Instead he's all like, "My knowledge ends with you going back in time, Kyle." :downs:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

It's funny how John Connor's plans don't go beyond the events of T1 despite the fact that he should've met a T-1000 and a friendly T-800 from an even more future Future War when he was young. (To say nothing of the T-X and the other friendly T-800 from T3.) Instead he's all like, "My knowledge ends with you going back in time, Kyle." :downs:

Those things didn't happen to this particular John Connor.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Oh... Great, loving time travel. Something must have happened to him though, or else his mom would've been in an insane asylum when he grew up.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm willing to buy that Connor's "We're castaways in the sea of time or whatever so I know that killing you wouldn't cause a paradox" was a big bluff on his part and he was still afraid that if either Kyle or Sarah died he'd fade out of existence but still, you can just reach out and touch either of them and suddenly they won't want to stop your evil plan anymore! In fact, they'll probably even help you!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Oh... Great, loving time travel. Something must have happened to him though, or else his mom would've been in an insane asylum when he grew up.

Maybe she was.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Oh man, I really liked this movie and I'm glad there are other folks here who did too :allears:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

blablablabla posted:

The movie gave a reason why Conner didnt kill them in the scene in the hospital. Conner said he wanted to offer a "truce" which Judgement day happens and skynet rules the world.

This is not a very convincing reason.

Skynet is no longer trying to nuke the world. That plan failed, so its new goal is to turn all humans into nanomachine-men.

Connor himself doesn't have that ability.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Skynet is no longer trying to nuke the world. That plan failed, so its new goal is to turn all humans into nanomachine-men.

Connor himself doesn't have that ability.

They did not state any of this in the film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Skynet outright states that it's going to interconnect everyone in the guise of Genisys. In this timeline, Judgment Day and the Singularity are one and the same.

After all, that's the new threat--we've moved out from under the shroud of nuclear armageddon (current dispute with Russia notwithstanding), that's the whole point of moving the setting foward from 1984 to 2017.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 4, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think it's reasonable to say that the default assumption is that any given individual lacks the ability to transform others into a nanobot swarm.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ruby idiot railed posted:

Skynet outright states that it's going to interconnect everyone in the guise of Genisys. In this timeline, Judgment Day and the Singularity are one and the same.

Ah how our fear of technology has changed since the 80's. For the longest time it was going to destroy humanity, now its just taking us over. Can't wait for another twenty years when the fear of technology is more about how its affecting the economy or something, and suddenly the new judgment day is when SKYNET starts doing hostile take overs of all the worlds major companies.

It is thwarted when the human rebels send back in time a T800 who has been programs to become finance lawyer, and it files hundred of monopoly suits with the SEC in a desperate bid to stop SKYNET.

Turns out Judgment day is inevitable, as in no possible time line is wall street ever going to be properly regulated

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

Nah, the whole movie I was thinking, "Whassup, not-John C. Reilly."

Also, I'm sure we'll find out who sent back Pops in the third movie.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Ah how our fear of technology has changed since the 80's. For the longest time it was going to destroy humanity, now its just taking us over. Can't wait for another twenty years when the fear of technology is more about how its affecting the economy or something, and suddenly the new judgment day is when SKYNET starts doing hostile take overs of all the worlds major companies.

Already happened.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but the reason is that the opening scenes are not the same 'timeline' either. In Terminator, Reese is like 'what day is it?! What year?!" In this one, he already knows exactly where he's going. John says he found the time machine because Sarah told him where it was. How did she know?

I almost thought that John had already agreed to get turned by Skynet which is how it explained some of his knowledge. He has that strange line with Reese near the beginning where he's like 'If there was any other way, I'd have taken it' which is such an odd thing to say given that John had, basically, been a divine messiah to them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I almost thought that John had already agreed to get turned by Skynet which is how it explained some of his knowledge. He has that strange line with Reese near the beginning where he's like 'If there was any other way, I'd have taken it' which is such an odd thing to say given that John had, basically, been a divine messiah to them.

Not sure this fits with Matt Smith sneaking up behind him to infect him while whispering about how he shouldn't have thought it would be this easy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not sure this fits with Matt Smith sneaking up behind him to infect him while whispering about how he shouldn't have thought it would be this easy.

It doesn't, that's the thing. But John's line seems like a setup to his eventual turn being more of an alliance and less of a takeover - like, that's a line you'd say as a preemptive 'I'm sorry for something I'm about to do'.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It doesn't, that's the thing. But John's line seems like a setup to his eventual turn being more of an alliance and less of a takeover - like, that's a line you'd say as a preemptive 'I'm sorry for something I'm about to do'.

That's what he's doing. He's apologizing for setting Reese up to fall in love with his mother, father himself, then die, particularly the last part.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 4, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Do keep in mind this comes right after a couple of (weird) lines about what Reese planned to do when the war was over. He says that because he knows he has to send Reese back in time to have a pretty brutal death or he won't even exist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I don't know if that's covered in that Wikipedia article but some hedge fund actually put one of these things in as a voting member of its board of directors.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Caros posted:

Do keep in mind this comes right after a couple of (weird) lines about what Reese planned to do when the war was over. He says that because he knows he has to send Reese back in time to have a pretty brutal death or he won't even exist.

Oh, of course. I'm an idiot.

This film drew a lot from TSCC, too. whole film felt like a 'best of' compilation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, of course. I'm an idiot.

This film drew a lot from TSCC, too. whole film felt like a 'best of' compilation.

Act 1 is like a T1/T2 'Greatest Hits' thing yeah, and the T1000 reactivating a T800 feels a bit like the T-X's tricks in T3. Never watched TSCC.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Never watched TSCC.

You should rectify that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
"God drat time traveling robots always covering their tracks!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gonna have to agree to disagree.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Act 1 is like a T1/T2 'Greatest Hits' thing yeah, and the T1000 reactivating a T800 feels a bit like the T-X's tricks in T3. Never watched TSCC.

The core plot of TSCC involves Sarah and John jumping forwards in time with an improvised time machine to stop the software program that becomes Skynet. Their friendly Terminator also has a malfunctioning arm. Danny Dyson was also going to show up in the cancelled third season, presumably finishing his dad's work.

Oh, and there's a cop who had been following the Connor case for years and finds out about time travelling robots.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Man, this movie does plenty wrong, but when it gets it right it knocks it out of there loving park. Pretty much every scene with robo-connor was loving gold and the action setpieces were stupidly inventive.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

While that's what literally happens, the imagery is obviously of John Connor, leader of the revolution, shifting seamlessly into a Steve Jobs sort of character - leader of the "iPod revolution". We realize that John's plan for after the war is to create our world - the world of 2015, that we are living in right now. We've reached the limits of his political thought.

(So, we should be clear with the language: John was officially leader of The Resistance. He has never really been leader of a revolution. Salvation is the first film in the series to introduce proper revolutionary politics, with the character of Marcus - and he was erased from this timeline.)

While the time travel plot stuff might get confusing, the story is crystal clear: John is holding out his hand, with a warm smile and genuine sincerity, while Sarah's like 'this man is not my son'. He's a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

The core plot of TSCC involves Sarah and John jumping forwards in time with an improvised time machine to stop the software program that becomes Skynet. Their friendly Terminator also has a malfunctioning arm. Danny Dyson was also going to show up in the cancelled third season, presumably finishing his dad's work.

Oh, and there's a cop who had been following the Connor case for years and finds out about time travelling robots.

Neat.

Speaking of Miles and Danny Dyson, they're presumably both still alive, and the secret core of Skynet's currently exposed. That's the hook into the next movie--they're going to find it and go "what the gently caress was John Connor doing?"

• Locked thread